What Happens at the Beach Club... Travels with Teens, Take Two, (PTR) 4/6 p. 29

Your plans sound brilliant Dee. Think I would aim for lunch at Ak rather that Hs as the qs options are so good there. If you do end up at Hs for lunch then starring rolls is hard to beat. Seems like a blink of an eye since you were doing this trip with Nate. Sounds like a lot of the stress from that trip will not be there this time! So glad you see sharing with a friend

No alcohol!!!!!!!! WHAT??? :sad2: I give you much credit the thought of chaperoning 12 boys :crazy: well, it might not be too different than my 5 kiddos :rolleyes:

No booze- one of the rules for the chaperones. Got to be good role models! :littleangel:

Chaperoning 12 boys sounds like torture, but it is actually easier than watching your own kids. For one, the adult-child ratio is not too bad. And secondly, when watching kids who are not all your own, there is actually hope that some of them may listen to you!

:rotfl:

No alcohol....oh my! Drink lots of Starbucks then.

Definitely a lot of coffee!!!

But there's no coffee maker in the room! :eek: If this trip is anything like the last one, I will be waking between 4:30 and 5 am, then wandering around the resort with my iced coffee, helping the teachers with breakfast, hitting the parks, getting to bed after midnight and starting all over again.

Keep the coffee coming!

:drinking1

Your plans sound brilliant Dee. Think I would aim for lunch at Ak rather that Hs as the qs options are so good there. If you do end up at Hs for lunch then starring rolls is hard to beat. Seems like a blink of an eye since you were doing this trip with Nate. Sounds like a lot of the stress from that trip will not be there this time! So glad you see sharing with a friend

Thanks! I figure we will see how it goes for lunch. With the vouchers we have, we can eat at Flame Tree, Pizzafari or Restaurantasaurus at AK, but not Yak & Yeti. I hear the Buffalo Chicken nuggets at Backlot Express at HS are pretty good. I lobbied for Starring Rolls last time, but really, there is not much seating there.

Do you remember my chapter with my solo lunch in "Dee's Corner" on the last class trip?

:cheer2:

Flashback... Coming right up!!!

Flashback, Class Trip 2012- 145 Middle Schoolers: Wicked Awesome or Epic Fail?

On our way to the park that morning, I discussed possible lunch options with one of the other chaperones. As you all know, the counter service options at HS are, well, lacking. Although I had never eaten there, I just recently learned from the DIS that Starring Rolls offered premade sushi as an option for a meal, and that intrigued me. Plus I figured that the huge sandwiches and ginormous, decadent cupcakes would be really tempting to the teens.

But the woman I was talking to pointed out that the place was very small and the selections there were limited, so this would not be a great place for our group.

So now that it was time for lunch, we were still stuck for a place to eat. We were very close to the Backlot Express, so that was the choice.

Then, :idea:, an idea popped into my head.

Why don’t I run over to Tower of Terror to get FP for later, and I’ll meet everyone at Pixar Place at 1:00 to ride Toy Story?

I handed everyone their lunch vouchers and I flew out of there at warp speed!

My lunch was going to be solo after Solo! Ok, Han Solo is not really in the Star Tours show, but he SHOULD be!

I would be making it to Starring Rolls after all!

When I arrived at the restaurant, I realized my friend was right.

The place was small! There were about 15 people in line ahead of me. This totally wouldn’t have worked for our group.

Then one of the counter CMs announced. “We ran out of sandwiches- it is going to be about 15 minutes”

A groan went through the crowd, but I piped up

“Do you still have sushi?”

“Yes!” she replied.

Guess who moved up to the front of the line!

P1110106.jpg

Then I had to choose a dessert. They had what looked like a limited selection of cupcakes. There was a yummy looking chocolate Dark Side cupcake to celebrate Star Wars Weekend, but to be honest, I am not really a huge fan of cupcakes, so I selected a fruit tart.

P1110105.jpg

I didn’t want to take up one of the tables all by myself, so I found a little corner to sit in and enjoy my alone-ness! I was so happy that I asked someone to snap a picture of my solo lunch.

“Im-in-a-group-with-14-teenage-boys-and-I-escaped-and-I’m-eating-all-alone. Will-you-please-take-my-picture?”

The guy and his family were amused by my story.

P1110114.jpg

P1110111.jpg

P1110113.jpg

After my lunch nirvana, I got the FPs for Tower of Terror, with a return time of 3:30 to 4:30.

Last edited:

Wow! Go Dee, go!! I don't know how you do it. I had a tough time just making FP's for the 5 of us for our upcoming May trip.

The only other comment I have is....I am so happy you are getting to stay with your best friend this time around. Although, sharing a hotel room with someone you have never met, sometimes works out to be fantastic! :thumbsup2

Look forward to reading about your upcoming plans and the adventure that awaits you. Love that you already have your plan again for some alone time!

Rebecca

I forgot you had all that parent drama last time. How great that you know all these parents. I am sure they will be more than happy to let you take over with the MDE accounts and the Fps selection. Have fun with that! :crazy:

Seriously, though, I am sure you are going to have a fabulous trip and what a great experience to share. Happy planning! :yay:

I still love this picture of you sitting in the corner all by yourself. :)

I do too! I look so happy!

:bitelip:

Wow! Go Dee, go!! I don't know how you do it. I had a tough time just making FP's for the 5 of us for our upcoming May trip.

The only other comment I have is....I am so happy you are getting to stay with your best friend this time around. Although, sharing a hotel room with someone you have never met, sometimes works out to be fantastic! :thumbsup2

Look forward to reading about your upcoming plans and the adventure that awaits you. Love that you already have your plan again for some alone time!

Rebecca

Yes, Linda and I are both really happy about our roommate situation.

I am 1 for 2 on "blind-date roommate" history. Or 2 for 3 if we include your mom. Yes, it can work out really well.

:grouphug:

That spot will forever be known as 'Dee's Corner'.

I'm lobbying to have a sign put up.

::yes::

I forgot you had all that parent drama last time.

And that was just the stuff I wrote about! There were more stories that I couldn't really share on a public forum even though I was not identifying my fellow travelers.

:sad2:

How great that you know all these parents. I am sure they will be more than happy to let you take over with the MDE accounts and the Fps selection. Have fun with that! :crazy:

Seriously, though, I am sure you are going to have a fabulous trip and what a great experience to share. Happy planning! :yay:

I still have to sell my plan to the teachers. And I don't know if we will have the info we need by Thursday to book FP, but lots of work to be done between now and then! If the tickets do come in, then I need to decide if I want to set an alarm for midnight to book the FP or just wait until the next morning since I will be up by 5 am, and less likely to screw up.

:faint:

Last edited:
It is just a little more than 2 months until I head to Disney with my son Ben and his 8th grade classmates. There are 114 students going and 43 adults, including the middle school principal, 4 teachers and two nurses (all of whom pay their own way).

Did I mention- no alcohol allowed for the chaperones???

You are a brave soul my friend...and NO alcohol?!?! Being responsible for that many kids, they should REQUIRE the chaperones to have a drink each night in order to chill and make it to the next day! :drinking1

I love "Dee's corner" :flower3: We should all try and make it a photo op...must make a note of this ;)

I still love this picture of you sitting in the corner all by yourself. :)

I agree. That is just fabulous. I can only imagine trying to escape the drama. I'm so glad you have better traveling companions this time.

So, a non-update... I didn't have to set my alarm for 1 am on Thursday morning. We don't have our tickets or reservations numbers yet. I think the teacher in charge of the trip sent in the big check to Disney last week, so I will be waiting on the edge of my seat to be able to log everything in to the 13 MDE accounts we have created...

:hyper:

Totally agree!! We need a wee sign for it. :flower1:

I will let you all know when I have started the GoFundMe account: "Sign for Dee's Corner"- Goal, $14.99 (I have a coupon for Staples)

:thumbsup2

You are a brave soul my friend...and NO alcohol?!?! Being responsible for that many kids, they should REQUIRE the chaperones to have a drink each night in order to chill and make it to the next day! :drinking1

The killer thing is the lack of sleep. We don't have a curfew, so we can stay out in the parks as late as we want to (are able to). Then I am up by 4:30 or 5 am the next morning.

:cat:

I love "Dee's corner" :flower3: We should all try and make it a photo op...must make a note of this ;)

pixarmom has pictures of "Dee's Corner" in her collection from past trips. Do you know where this is? Corner of Starring Rolls building and the bakery that has a window where you can see things being made.

:goodvibes:

I agree. That is just fabulous. I can only imagine trying to escape the drama. I'm so glad you have better traveling companions this time.

There were a couple of times that I was able to break away. This was the most satisfying! Having a large group was nice in that way, we had a lot of chaperones. By the very end of the trip, the "masses" were glad to get away from me and I went to Fantasmic all by myself (in the pouring rain).

::yes::

Last edited:
I remember that meal of sushi nirvana and a fruit tart. It looked fabulous then and it still looks fabulous now!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter