What everyday shoes for Alaska cruise?

KatieMill

Earning My Ears
I have flat feet and frequently get blisters when on vacation. These boards have been a lifesaver for me regarding what kinds of shoes to wear to Disneyworld. Never have seen anyone post about what shoes they wear onboard the cruise and for excursions? Anyone have guidance to share?

I have flat feet and frequently get blisters when on vacation. These boards have been a lifesaver for me regarding what kinds of shoes to wear to Disneyworld. Never have seen anyone post about what shoes they wear onboard the cruise and for excursions? Anyone have guidance to share?
I just wear my regular walking shoes. Like running shoes, sort of.

I also have issues with getting blisters, especially at Disney World, but I didn't have any problems with them on my Alaska cruise. It was a lot less walking than Disney World, and since it isn't hot, your feet don't sweat and make blisters even more likely. I was fine with just my regular sneakers.

I wore mostly tennis shoes around the ship. We did bring waterproof boots and those turned out to be lifesavers on the three days that we got a lot of rain (especially when we did the Nugget Falls hike in Juneau because the trail was partially flooded and no amount of waterproofing on the tennis shoes would have helped - but those boots kept out all the water). But had we been on the cruise before ours, it would have been a waste of luggage space because we heard that cruise had no rain.

If your excursions don't include a lot of walking or hiking, you would probably be fine with just waterproofing your tennis shoes.

We wore running type shoes. We don't waterproof them. If we don't have waterproof shoes living near Seattle, we didn't need them for Alaska LOL. They were fine for our cruise, and for our upcoming Alaska cruise I figure they'll be fine then, too.

I had this very same questions and coming from Sydney, Australia we just don't have a need for waterproof shoes or even rain clothes. Let alone coats. I am seriously stressing out about all of it as just not sure what to take and we will have limited luggage space. I think I'd rather just take 2 pairs of runners each and then if 1 pair gets wet we have a back up?

I wore Uggs on board the ship during the day most days and on the coldest day we had in Skagway and in Juneau. Otherwise, tennis shoes were great.

I wish I would have worn tennis shoes in Juneau. We went panning for gold and I was sliding around a little in my Uggs.

If you have flat arches, I'd definitely suggest getting some insoles, even for "running" shoes. If there is a running store close to you, they should have SuperFeet - the blue ones are for everyday stuff. The green are for higher impact like running. I deal with plantar fascitiis and wear them in my shoes to prevent it.

Uggs have ZERO arch support, so if you have flat arches I would avoid them like the plague. I wouldn't even trust them with inserts.

I've heard everything from sneakers to flip flops to Ugg boots. How cold is cold? What temps did you experience? I know it varies but I'm wondering if tennis shoes and Sperry's will cut it.

I've heard everything from sneakers to flip flops to Ugg boots. How cold is cold? What temps did you experience? I know it varies but I'm wondering if tennis shoes and Sperry's will cut it.

Our weather was all over the place. It was probably low 40s at night on deck and up to the 70s and 80's in Vancouver and on sea days. DS and I went to watch a movie on deck one night and went in jeans, two pairs of socks, sneakers, long sleeve shirts and hoodies and we were still shivering under multiple blankets. The next day we were in shorts and flip flops.

Other than the one night on deck, I was only really cold on Tracy Arm day (it was raining anyway and being near the glacier made it cold). The other days it was either nice and warm, or it was just a matter of staying dry.

i was freaked out reading things and bought hiking boots for everyone and we didn't use them at all. walking, closed toe shoes are key and the main suggestion i would say is have a second pair of whatever it is in case you did go out and about and they got wet. i would have done better with 2 pairs of sneakers (just in case) than sneakers and heavy waterproof hiking boots for our trip.

i was freaked out reading things and bought hiking boots for everyone and we didn't use them at all. walking, closed toe shoes are key and the main suggestion i would say is have a second pair of whatever it is in case you did go out and about and they got wet. i would have done better with 2 pairs of sneakers (just in case) than sneakers and heavy waterproof hiking boots for our trip.

I'm glad to hear that. I was debating whether or not it would be a good idea to bring my hiking boots, but hated the idea of having to fit those heavy things in our luggage!

For our May 2014 cruise, I wore my sneakers everywhere. I did pack a pair of sandals but as it was 'too chilly' for my toes to be bare - they were a waste of space.

I wore sketchers gowalk or flip flops on board. The deck is often wet (slippery) and I picked the wrong flip flops for that, but otherwise temp-wise and inside they were ok. I wore the sketchers for excursions. I didn't have any problem, but we didn't do any water or snow excursions. It was rainy in Ketchikan, but they were fine there, too.

If you have flat arches, I'd definitely suggest getting some insoles, even for "running" shoes. If there is a running store close to you, they should have SuperFeet - the blue ones are for everyday stuff. The green are for higher impact like running. I deal with plantar fascitiis and wear them in my shoes to prevent it.
Another vote for proper insoles... I noticed I was wearing out one side of my treads way too fast. It was like I needed to buy new shoes one a week.

Some may find GoodFeet is a good alternative. But I had a complex issue that required a visit to a podiatrist for proper inserts.

Two pair of sneakers, comfortable flats for on board, one pair of sandals (for pool &vancouver), heels for "formal night" but those were not really necessary. I waterproofed my sneakers. Highs were mid 50s on our sailing in late August/early September. Only saw about an hour of real rain in Ketchikan and some sprinkles later that day. Otherwise it was pretty sunny. I have been on a cruise to Alaska years ago where the weather was much stormier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter