What ever Happened to Persistence of Vision?

not only is the magazine on hold ... but he's holding my $50 subscription from 1998 in which I have only received 1 issue to date. :confused3

Ditto - except my subscription is from 1999.

Wow.. old thread...

Same story apparently tho sadly.

Wow! I went back and forth with Paul for years (since 1998) about my subscription too! I even e-mailed him our new address when we moved 4 YEARS ago. I think I paid $38 way back when and got 1 or 2 issues.

Laughing Place Magazine is very nice and high quality and Orlando Attractions magazine is cheaper but fun. I am sorry to hear about E-Ticket. Will they still be selling back issues?! I should have got them when I could!

Wow! I went back and forth with Paul for years (since 1998) about my subscription too! I even e-mailed him our new address when we moved 4 YEARS ago. I think I paid $38 way back when and got 1 or 2 issues.

Laughing Place Magazine is very nice and high quality and Orlando Attractions magazine is cheaper but fun. I am sorry to hear about E-Ticket. Will they still be selling back issues?! I should have got them when I could!

Hi..

The "E" Ticket magazine's new, stripped-down Web site has been fleshed out a bit in the past couple of weeks.. back issues are available again.. but the old (and VERY valuable) black and white issues are, of course, long gone.. I suspect Jack DOES have Publishers' copies he's hanging on to but he doesn't sell them.. they do show up on eBay, so if you want the complete run from 1 - 45, you can buy the later back issues directly from Jack, and the early ones on eBay as they show up but a full run of The "E" Ticket, every issue, is going to cost some VERY serious money.. multiple hundreds of bucks EACH for the early issues.. if you can live with just the content, and don't need the actual, physical early issues, get his CDs which reproduce the early issues in .pdf format which you can just read or print out.. but although each page prints as an exact photographic reproduction of the old issues' pages, each .pdf page has a line of text at its bottom that shows it was printed from the CD.. so no one can easily print counterfeit copies of the early issues and try to sell them as the real thing..

I did email Jack and told him how sad I was to see him sell out, and asked him the REAL reason behind it.. was Disney behind it? had he been threatened (as is purported on some guy's Web site.. something like disneylawsuit dot com)..

Here is his answer to me.. this is not a form letter or a robo-reply.. I got this directly from him in email a few days ago.. and will post it here without comment..

QUOTE::

Harv - Thank you for all your kind words and for reliving some of your fond
D'land memories with me. We can't go back no matter how hard we try.

The folk who are buying the magazine must go un-named for now. They are
interested in the Intellectual Property, especially the interviews with the
old timers. Their intention is to have this info available on some format
to future interested people. They also know the value of the name. They
will probably sell back issues "if it proves viable." I guess it has to
prove that it can at least pay for itself. I know it sounds weird for them
not to continue publishing when there is already a substantial following,
but they are not in the publishing business. I'm thrilled with where Leon
and my work will be going.

By the way, Disney did not push me out of business, did not kill my web site
or do anything else to damage the business of The "E" Ticket. Some rumors
start in sick minds who contrive everything to support their bogus
contentions.

Thanks again for your interest and long time support.

-Jack Janzen

ENDOFQUOTE.

so.. I await his final issue #46 and the insert which will offer a discount on his third CD full of old issues.. depending on how many issues you have remaining on your subscription will determine what kind of discount you get on the CD.. I have NO idea what the theme of the final issue will be, if it will discuss the sell-out, or anything else about it.. it's about a year late, as #45 was published in the Summer of 2007, but with Leon's passing a few years ago and all the crap Jack has been through since then, he gets cut a lot of slack in my book, anyway.. I have no reason to doubt that he WILL publish his final issue #46.. and I have no other information about the buy-out and shut-down other than what I quoted above..

Harv

I have some of the older issues of E-Ticket. I was saying to DH now they will be $$$$$$$$$$$ to collectors. Thanks for the info.

I have heard through the grapevine, that the purchasers of the E-ticket magazine is the the Walt Disney Family Foundation.

Also the last issue will be about Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

I personally knew Paul back when I lived in Utah. I met him at a fan club. I visited him in his homes, office and at Walt Disney World. I used to consider him a friend. The only reason I don't anymore is that we are no longer in touch. We did not have a falling out or any trouble getting along. I simply moved from Utah to Texas and did not stay in touch with most of the people I knew in Utah.

I was a POV subscriber. Once I went more than a year without an issue of the journal, I requested a refund. I was told about the baby, the family, the father and the job teaching at BYU, all reasons given why he was not publishing the Disney historical journal in a more timely manner. I did not want to have my money invested as a subscriber if I could not count on a regular schedule of publication. Personally I LOVE his research and the materials I actually did receive when I was a subscriber were absolutely top-notch. They were also top-price. I could not afford to support his Disneyanna habit and his extensive travels. He said it was all for historical research before the people who knew Walt died off, but they were dying off and Paul was not publishing anymore yet he was still soliciting new subscriptions and extentions of current ones.

Paul had a complete, multi-level house absolutely filled with Disney Memorabilia, so much so that he couldn't live in it. He had to move in to the one next door. He claimed back then (1995 or so) to have hundreds of thousands of pieces in his collection. From what I saw first-hand, it very well may have been so. The second house was nearly unliveable at the time due to the same problem.

I bought MANY items from him over the years. When I bought them face-to-face I took delivery the same day. When I ordered by Internet or phone it took as long as 18 months with MANY phone calls and emails to get my items. This was 18 months AFTER he charged my credit card despite the VISA merchant agreement REQUIREMENT that merchandise be shipped when the card is charged as well as the state and federal laws that apply in these situations.

If Paul is struggling financially, I can see why he would be selling off some of his vast collection on E-bay. Frankly, I hope he makes enough money at whatever he does so he can go back into writing and publishing historical materials. I would be first in line to buy them. However, because of the past, I would never subscribe again. I would purchase one issue at a time from him or wait for them on the secondhand market.

I think he speaks at D23 events now-right? I have seen a Paul Anderson listed for some of them.

I'm the guy you purchased your POV magazine prescription from at the 1999 Disneyana Convention. I loved this magazine so much that I paid out of my own pocket to fly RT from SLC, Ut to Orlando, FL, RT Airport to motel, meals, shuttle, etc. to help Paul promote and sell subscriptions of POV. As we all know, "NO good deed goes unpunished." I emphatically ask that you forgive me for selling you a subscription for issues you would NEVER receive. I didn't know and I'm a victim too. I know you bought your prescription from me because Paul was far to important to work his own booth and left his wife and I to do almost everything. He actually bragged about buying tables and chairs from a local retailer and returning them, used, after the convention to avoid rental costs. An old friend, Frazier, brought items he stored for Paul in FL. Paul showed me, and perhaps I showed you, a substantial amount of content of the ;soon to be published' POV WWII issue. Sadly, without a miracle, articles penned by Becky Cline, Dave Smith, Jim Korkis along with all the WWII insignias Disney artists designed, will never see the light of day. I would also like to add that I went as far as to offer to purchase the magazine, at a fair price, with its unpublished content and subscription addresses for the purpose of bringing the issues to light and fulfilling all the subscriptions. The offer still stands and I wouldn't imagine there are many people, like me, out there with the integrity, determination, and money to make this happen.

Paul tells you, you are his best friend and promptly uses, and uses, and uses you. To hear Paul tell it, he's the victim. When reminded, with digs about POV, every time our paths crossed, he originally complained about the issue logistics, being so big it was going to come out in a double issue. Then it was the new baby and he needed 6 months tops. Once, it was because of hospitalization with food poison. Later, how he was writing 600-800 words on it every night and it would be published very soon. At one point, it was, Aros, his Internet host's fault causing him to lose his eBay account and putting him $400,000 in debt with income taxes. Finally, he's unfriended me on FB and blocked me out of DHI for bringing POV up after he posted an ad to sell back issues on DHI, "Disney History Institute" on FB, sending me a message of how inappropriate my reminder was. No apologies or excuses, or promises any more. Just, 'I thought your digs were friendly and now I see they are not.' Well, Paul, they started out "friendly" and after 20 years of promises, have grown to be accusing, angry, disappointing, and 100 more adjectives of how used, embarrassed I feel for believing in you, and how cheated I feel. And now you've added dismissal and arrogance. As others have noted in this discussion, Paul has all the time in the world to go through peoples collections, post elaborate item descriptions on eBay, and do anything but POV. Paul, you owe me for 2 subscriptions.

It is so hard to understand how someone as intelligent and talented as Paul is, doesn't feel he has to live up to his obligations, responsibilities, and behave honestly. I stood up for him
when 5 people told me he took advantage of Ken Anderson, saying "No, Paul would never do that.". Now, I don't doubt their accusations at all. It's so easy and comforting mentally to do the RIGHT THING. What manner of state of mind makes one think they don't need to do what they have promised? Paul continues to talk about how he had to take care of his ageing parents. Anyone who knows him, knows Holly that did almost everything, despite his Mom's horrible behavior. Holly is an amazing hard worker who does almost everything in the household.

People need to know the truth about Paul and POV and the truth needs to catch up to him.

Regards,
Tom Brooks
SLC, UT

I subscribed to POV and it was a top notch publication as regards Disney history, it was well researched. I don't recall getting stiffed on any issues, but it was so log ago I probably wouldn't remember. A shame to hear the story of how things fell apart and people feel taken advantage of. Appreciate the info though.

Wow, new record for oldest necro thread? This seems to rise from the dead every 4 years or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter