What ever Happened to Persistence of Vision?

WDWHound

DIS Veteran
The thread on Disney books got me thinking. There was once a wonderful Disney history magazine called Persistence of Vision. It was written by Paul Anderson. Does anyone know if they are still publishing? I subscribed to this mag 3 years ago, but only recieved one issue (subscriptions are for 4 issues). I just checked the web site (http://www.aros.net/~pov/) and it hasn't been updated since 1998!

This was an exceptional magazine. Right up there with E Ticket in terms of quality. The worlds Fair issue is the best source I have ever found for info on Disney as the 64 Worlds Fair. It was more like a book than a magazine. Each issue also came with tapes featuring interviews with Disney artists and Imagineers. This was great stuff, I would hate to think they've shut down (especially since they still owe me 3 issues).

I know there are other Disney history buffs on this board. Anybody know what is going on with Peristence of Vision?

As far as I know, Mr. Anderson's "real life" has been getting in the way. His father was very ill, but I don't know if he has since passed away or not. Basically, he's taking care of his family and the magazine is on hold.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like he has his priorities in the right order. I hope things return to normal for him soon.

I spoke with Paul recently and I think we'll see a new issue of "Persistence of Vision" in the next 6 months.

Did he keep his subscription records? We also paid for more issues than we got, but I would still be willing to pay anew for more of this wonderful magazine (and tapes). I hope he gets in contact with all his old subscribers and knows that I, at least, will forgive the debt. How does anyone else feel?

Carla

I too would be willing to renew if that was what was needed, but I doubt that will be necessary. From what has been posted here. it sounds like the magazine is still a going concern, but that Mr Anderson has had to devote time to more important things the last couple of years. My guess is that our subscriptions will start up again when life returns to normal for him.

POV is an exceptional magazine. I look forward to the day it once again arrives in my mailbox.

Don't count on ever getting another copy of Persistence of Vision, even with "I spoke with Paul recently and I think we'll see a new issue of "Persistence of Vision" in the next 6 months."

I have a little story to tell of Persistence of Vision. We first purchased a subscription in late 1998 and finally received our first issue in early 1999 along with the tape included in the subscription. Six months later, I wrote regarding the issues, which were not coming. Paul wrote over telling me about their baby and other family issues, but that a new issue would be coming out in "SIX MONTHS". I wrote six months later inquiring again, he gave me the same story, quite detailed might I add, and he then spoke of his father's illness.

I then replied that I'd like a refund for the publication. He said that we would get a refund, but minus the cost of the tape because that was added for free with a fully paid subscription. I told him that would be OK, but I also said rather unethical considering that both my wife and I certainly could see that he would never produce another issue of the magazine. The refund would be going out within a few weeks. We never received it. I then followed-up with him again a few times over the next six months, and FINALLY in 2001, we received our partial refund.

We were throughly disappointed with his constant runaround and quite honestly, lies. He had a booth at the 2000 Disneyana Convention hawking his magazine and selling subscriptions.. Furthermore, earlier this year, we saw that he still managed to have hundreds of items up for bid on eBay. His ID is/was something like waltsattic, something of that notion. Almost every few days there were bunches of new items with in-depth detail, like we couldn't believe.

We're both very easing going and nice people, but Paul Anderson is a poor business person and he simply has egged on his paid subscribers for years with a magazine that I assume will never be produced again. I would personally demand a refund for my subcription, although I'm certain he'll let you know that a new issue is coming out in six months. We found the people of "The E-Ticket Magazine" to be outstanding, and I would suggest them. I believe that your subscription money was going to fund Mr. Anderson's eBay business.

:(

P.S. - His personal concerns from what he last told me back over a year and a half ago had been taken care of and that he was sitting down to work on the #11 edition of the publication. His holding of the subscription funds is actually in violation of the law, too, might I add, due to the time elapsed without direct communication to the consumer keeping them up-to-date on the "situation" and the ability to receive a refund of the publication.

I, too, subscribed to POV at the Disneyana Convention - 1999. I never received another issue in the mail, and wrote and called Paul on the phone. At the time he was having personal problems with his new baby, Father, etc. My last communication with him was about four months ago and he said there is a new issue coming out before the end of the year. I mentioned that three years is a bit long to wait for my subscription, but he stated that he still has all the pertinent info to mail the magazine to me - even read my address to me over the phone. This does give me some hope.

Paul Anderson's user name on ebay is uwa (Uncle Walt's Attic).

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad that he still has his mailing list, but for someone who has heard the same story for nearly four years, it's really hard to believe. Like I said before, the last time I had emailed with him a year and a half ago, all family troubles had been taken care of. I think that Mr. Anderson will continue to deceive his subscribers as long as possible.

Thanks so much for his eBay ID! I read the following on one of his auctions:

"Uncle Walt's Attic is the #1 Source for Vintage Disneyana. To See Our Ebay Disney Auctions (usually 200 plus) Click On Our Logo"

That sounds like a guy in real dispair to me. :o

Mr. Anderson can not have kept up his subscription roll, since we have moved several years ago and he never attempted to update our address at least....

Looked at the E Ticket website, is the magazine only about Disneyland?

Carla

Carla,

It's www.the-e-ticket.com, I think you'll enjoy their publication very much. It's glossy with outstanding photographs and is dedicated really to the works during the time of Walt Disney and the original Imagineers of sorts. It's really good, for certain. I, too, would suggest you contact Mr. Anderson regarding your aptly considered stolen money IMHO. :)

Figmentrocks, do you have a way to contact him? I know squat about using ebay, I'm not a shopper.

Carla

I don't see how you can possibly compare "E-Ticket" and "Persistence of Vision." They are entirely different magazines directed at people whose interest levels are different.
I am a real Disney freak, and I love the most minute details, and POV is overloaded with the tinest details. "E-Ticket," by comparison, runs relatively short articles with larger pictures--a real pleasure, but one of an entirely different level.
Both magazines are great, but it's quite possible that readers of either magazine would not like the other.

That's great and all, BUT Persistence of Vision hasn't been published in about four plus years. The only Disney vintage themed publication that is actually in production is The E Ticket. You could be right, but I'm under the assumption if you like vintage Disney information and images, well, there is only one such thing out there, so it's pretty darn good with that respect alone.

POV has always been a bit erratic with regard to it's publishing schedule. I was a one-time subscriber who looked forward to each and every issue. I felt that it was always well researched and comprehensive, which is why I stuck with it and overlooked this one little short-coming. Mr Anderson has had many personal issues that have gotten in the way of the time he used to devote to POV. His wife had a complicated pregnancy a couple of years ago which basically put him out of action for over a year. That is the last time I heard from him. Based on the material that I've read and my brief interaction with him, I regard Paul as the most knowledgeable Disney source that I've encountered, and an all around nice guy.

He used to sell various items in the magazine in a section called "Uncle Walt's Attic". When he went through a dry spell with the magazine he transferred that section onto EBay.

I agree with the previous poster about Paul's promise to have a new issue in 6 months. I also heard this from him twice in a year span before finally giving up on the subscription. It's a shame because I really loved his work. He's either been very unlucky in his personal life or he needs a business manager or publisher to motivate him to do what he does best. If he ever brings it all together I might seriously consider re-subscribing.

Does anyone remember the bi-monthly magazine "At The Park"? That was hands down my favorite Disney magazine of all time. It was full of first-hand stories(with lots of pictures) from theme parks around the world, but dealt mostly with Disney. The magazine folded when it's editor passed away unexpectidely. That was a great loss.

Irodk,

If you give Mr. Anderson the benefit of the doubt, he at least owes his customers an update periodically regarding his issues and delays. Well, whatever happens, I just wanted to let everyone know of our experience. From being part of a company, I know that the handling of his business is terrible, to say the least. I find it to be a tough pill to swallow and especially when he tends to give the same stories & timelines regardless of the year.

Hi. Paul F. Anderson here. Since there has been considerable discussion as to the situation with Persistence of Vision and my business practices, I thought perhaps it would be good to put in my two cents. I appreciate moobooks letting me know about the Discussion board and the thread on POV. First off, if you subscribed at ANY time, then you are still active in my database. Will you ever get another issue? Yes! Am I a poor businessman? Yes! However, you need to understand that POV is NOT a business. It is a subsidized labor-of-love effort. I lose far more money on the endeavor than I have EVER collected in subscription fees. To suggest that the subscription money I collect is going to my Ebay business is a joke! In fact, it is the other way around. It is my Ebay business that allows me to do POV....that is do the interviews and research necessary for the next issue. Why do I POV then? Because I feel that it needs to be done and heaven knows that Disney won’t do it. Moreover, I thoroughly enjoy delving into the creative legacy of Walt Disney. To even suggest that I’m in this as a way of egging my subscribers (as someone suggested) is ludicrous. Anybody who knows me, will tell you that my heart is sincere in my endeavors to produce a quality Disney history product, whether timely or not. This list of supporters would include folks like: Diane Disney Miller (Walt’s daughter), Leonard Maltin, Dave Smith, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, and many more. I understand the frustration of the very irregular publishing schedule (and believe me, no one is more frustrated than I). Sadly, these last several years have been rather rough on myself and for my family. And frankly, my family comes first! I do apologize if some can’t understand that, but that is the way I am. Even so, I have ALWAYS maintained a refund on the remainder of anyone’s subscription, for any reason. While it is true that I deducted the cost of the audio tape from “figmentrocks” subscription, there is a valid reason. The audio tape is available free to subscribers, otherwise it costs $4.00. Since you were no longer a subscriber, it wouldn’t be fair to those that have stuck with me. Why “figmentrocks” refund took six months is a mystery to me. Without his name, I can’t address that issue. As soon as I receive a request (in writing and not by email) that a person wants a refund, I send it out.

As for the next issue, I will try to give you an update (and yes I have been negligent in providing these, but at the expense of trying to get the issue out). The next issue will be a double issue (#11/#12). The main piece is the one that I have been working on for three years. It is on Walt Disney and World War II. To give you an idea, it should top out at about 160,000 words (just as comparison your average book is 100,000 to 120,000 words ... or just this article is equal to about 10 issues of E Ticket–which I love). I have interviewed approximately 30 people for this piece (So far with at least 8 more to go) and compiled over 12,000 pages of historical documents related to Walt and the War. I have spent five weeks at the Walt Disney Archives (spanning six trips), as well as numerous weeks at other archives: The National Archives in Washington, D.C., Cradle of Aviation Museum in New York, FDR Presidential Library in New York, Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences Archives in Los Angeles, University of Wyoming Archives, UCLA Archives, and several more. Why am I writing a book and publishing it under the guise of a magazine? Because Disney won’t!! And Walt’s contributions to the war effort go way beyond that of ANY other Studio, and the story needs to be told. If I find additional research will I delay publication of this issue yet again? YES! Sorry, this will be the one and only time that this topic will be covered and, even if it costs me a few more subscribers, or I have to endure more negative posts, I will do it. Why? Because that’s the way I am. Historical accuracy and completeness at all costs! Is that a way to run a business? No! But as I thing I have already mentioned, this is most definitely not a business. More like a life’s work!

Another feature of interest in this issue is An Interview With Diane Disney Miller. Because of her support for my work, she agreed to sit down with me for three hours and answered ALL of my questions (What kind of a father was he? Was he Anti-Semitic? What was Christmas like? To name a few!). Many of you may know that Diane is a bit aloof (and rightfully so). The interviews she does grant are few and even then, very brief. Diane believes in me and my work and because of that, I was able to get this interview. Because of her belief, I took almost a year off to work on the Walt Disney documentary (as a Historical Consultant, Los Angeles Historical Consultant, and On-Screen “Expert”). Should I have turned her down in order to get the issue out quicker? Well, that one is obvious!

One of the final articles I tell you about is the Unseen Imagineering Art of Herb Ryman. Discovered by an art dealer in New York City, there are over 20 pieces of Ryman art from his work at Imagineering in the 1960s (interesting stuff like the Martian Farm Exhibit for the 1964 NYWF, Disneyland Concepts, etc.).

While I hope to have the issue out for Walt’s 100th Birthday (if not, I’m joining a Monastery) and hopefully by fall, but I will not promise anything. If things continue like they are now, it will be out. If someone calls me up and says “Hey, I discovered 600 pages of Walt correspondence dealing with the War in Upper Slovenia” ... well, then it will be another couple of months. Because of that, if you want a refund, send me a letter. To those that have problems with my irregular publishing schedule, I tell them point blank, “Take a refund and then purchase the issue when it comes out ... it will cost more, but it will save you the apparent aggravation!”

Finally, please be rest assured that as long as I'm alive–and I should have another 40 years or so--there will be a POV (it will, however, always be published on an irregular basis, unless I can figure out how to not lose so much money on it). If you are a subscriber and decide to stay the course, you WILL get your issues. Please feel free to distribute this to anyone who has questions about POV or is a subscriber. I am always happy to answer anyone’s questions and I can be reached at: 801-523-0888 or pov@aros.net

Respectfully, Paul F. Anderson

not only is the magazine on hold ... but he's holding my $50 subscription from 1998 in which I have only received 1 issue to date. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter