What does everyone think of the new normal (covid related)

I think OP means stuff like this - my 78 year old mother and I went out to lunch today. Due to covid they no longer have menus to read, you have to scan a QR code and look at the menu online. They also require you to order and pay online. My mom had no clue what to do, if I wasn't with her, if I didn't show her the menu, order for her, and pay on my phone, she would've just left.

I'm that MOM! :teeth: As many of you know and can figure out, I've been on the DIS for 20 plus years! I still don't know how to post pics! The last concert I went to they said I could just download an app on my phone to show my tickets. Nope....I printed them off. One of my sons doesn't even own a printer as he does EVERYthing via his phone!!

That being said, Covid or not I was fine with those inabilities as long as I have others there to help me. The problem is with Covid those others can't be around!! :(

If we’re talking strictly the digital changes to it, I can do it, but I hate it.

I’m so sick of zoom and really hope this isn’t sticking around in this volume long term. I don’t like having to scan QR codes at restaurants, not because I can’t use it, but because it’s just another excuse for people to keep their phones out.
Remote learning is going fine for my kids, but I hate how much they’re staring at screens between that, zoom ballet and their own recreational use.

I’m split on DH working from home. I like having him around and we’ve fallen into a routine, but I was so used to being alone during the day prior to this, I miss that sometimes.
This - exactly. I am not in the habit of carrying my phone into restaurants. Here it's pretty consistent that if you simply tell them you don't have a phone to use the QR codes, they immediately produce a paper copy of the menu. And as for using applePay or any other service like that - it's just a NO from me. I'd have to go someplace else.

Stores still seem busy as pre-COVID, only with masks. Fortunately I cut down on junk food because many of the fast food drive-thru lanes are loaded.

I was under the impression that Black Friday is not happening this year, but if the consumer crazies were already rabid during the holidays, I'm curious if crowd behavior is going to be just as bad if not worse.

During the initial lockdown, I still had to drive to work, and the roads were nearly bare. It hasn't been that way in months, the roads are as congested as before.

Everything is going high tech I am very okay with it personally, but I feel bad for the small group of people who are not tech savvy, not just old people, I meet someone who is younger then me who is not example online gyms are becoming more popular and restaurants having you look up teirir menu online

Sorry covid related

Whom you calling old!?

The old normal will never return. The sooner people make peace with that, the better, and the faster we get out of this pandemic. Refusal to adapt is what is literally going to kill people.
What does my guess that we'll get back to the old normal have to do with getting out of the pandemic? I'm not saying to act like the old normal NOW. I'm saying when this is over (and it will be) that people will (mostly) revert back to their old ways.

I actually think the ones with the most change will be those who have only left their homes a few times in the last 8 months. I think they will likely have some lasting psychological effects. I'm not sure you can get back to normal after that. Not completely anyway. But those of us who have used appropriate precautions and have gone about as much of our business as we safely could will easily slip back to the old normal when this is over.

What does my guess that we'll get back to the old normal have to do with getting out of the pandemic? I'm not saying to act like the old normal NOW. I'm saying when this is over (and it will be) that people will (mostly) revert back to their old ways.

You said "I'll pass" on adapting to the new normal. And you will wait for the old normal to return. It's not ever going to go back to the way it was. A lot of these technologies will continue because they save companies money. You can count on even more technology to be implemented as it pertains to things like large events (concerts, sporting events, etc). This virus will not be eradicated for a very long time, if ever. A vaccine will get us out of pandemic mode, eventually, but the virus will be endemic and we will always have to behave in a way that keeps it in mind. We are never getting back to how things were before.

People's refusal to adapt to new technologies and social norms will mean they eschew them, making them and the people they encounter more unsafe.

You said "I'll pass" on adapting to the new normal. And you will wait for the old normal to return. It's not ever going to go back to the way it was. A lot of these technologies will continue because they save companies money. You can count on even more technology to be implemented as it pertains to things like large events (concerts, sporting events, etc). This virus will not be eradicated for a very long time, if ever. A vaccine will get us out of pandemic mode, eventually, but the virus will be endemic and we will always have to behave in a way that keeps it in mind. We are never getting back to how things were before.

People's refusal to adapt to new technologies and social norms will mean they eschew them, making them and the people they encounter more unsafe.
I don't consider using new technologies a big deal at all. The old normal will be just fine with new technology. It was probably coming anyway, pandemic or not.

You think the virus will continue to have a big presence in our lives going forward. After we hit critical mass with the vaccine, I don't think it will. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't consider using new technologies a big deal at all. The old normal will be just fine with new technology. It was probably coming anyway, pandemic or not.

You think the virus will continue to have a big presence in our lives going forward. After we hit critical mass with the vaccine, I don't think it will. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Numerous epidemiologists have already said they believe this virus will be with us forever, just like the flu and the common cold. There is no reason to believe it will literally disappear once a vaccine is available. It will also require an annual vaccine, which we know people will simply not keep up with long term.

Anyway, YOU said you were not down with the new normal. You seem to be changing your tune now, which is fine.

What do you consider the "old normal?" What are you looking to go back to?
No business closures (although sadly many will never come back), people deciding to work at home by choice rather than law, full participation for kids in school, all in person schooling like before, able to travel, able to visit elderly family members. I want (and plan) to attend my daughter's college graduation in 2 years. I want my kids to be able to visit without a risk assessment. I'm sure there's a lot more. But you get the idea. New tech, annual shots, stuff like that? I don't consider any of that substantial enough to worry about and classify as a "new normal". Changes like that are just not a big enough deal to waste one moment worrying about.
Numerous epidemiologists have already said they believe this virus will be with us forever, just like the flu and the common cold. There is no reason to believe it will literally disappear once a vaccine is available. It will also require an annual vaccine, which we know people will simply not keep up with long term.

Anyway, YOU said you were not down with the new normal. You seem to be changing your tune now, which is fine.
"New normal" means different things to different people. If you want to stress about it for the rest of your life, have at it. I'll get the vaccine and go on about my business. And yes, I'll get it annually if needed. I already get a flu shot annually, so what's the big deal if we add one for Covid.

Masks and social distancing will go away and capacity limits won’t be in place either.

More people will work at home because businesses have learned it’s not a bad thing and many have found they like it but others will return to offices. The tech changes were coming either way that is progress.

I think It will change school in the sense that virtual and homeschool options will be more widely used and accepted.

No business closures (although sadly many will never come back), people deciding to work at home by choice rather than law, full participation for kids in school, all in person schooling like before, able to travel, able to visit elderly family members. I want (and plan) to attend my daughter's college graduation in 2 years. I want my kids to be able to visit without a risk assessment. I'm sure there's a lot more. But you get the idea. New tech, annual shots, stuff like that? I don't consider any of that substantial enough to worry about and classify as a "new normal". Changes like that are just not a big enough deal to waste one moment worrying about.

Most of what you are describing will come back, in time, but with possible modifications such as when visiting your elderly family members in a nursing home, you have to wear a mask. As to the bold I have a feeling some businesses will stay work from home. It won't be by mandate but it also won't be up to the individual either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter