What does everyone think of the new normal (covid related)

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
Everything is going high tech I am very okay with it personally, but I feel bad for the small group of people who are not tech savvy, not just old people, I meet someone who is younger then me who is not example online gyms are becoming more popular and restaurants having you look up teirir menu online

Sorry covid related

Last edited:
If I am honest, not a whole lot has changed in my daily life due to COVID. The only thing that has changed is that I now only go shopping once a week, instead of stopping by the store on the way home from work several times per week.

It's been extremely difficult. No high school, dances, plays, sports, interacting face to face with friends for the kids. It's soul crushing when it's hurting your kids and there's nothing you can do to help them cope or change it. Oldest has only been out of the house 3 times - dentist, wisdom teeth consult, and removal. Youngest once every 5-6 weeks for braces adjustment. Me only once every two weeks for groceries. Husband almost every day cause his job is essential. Due to his massive exposure, we are doing our part by staying home.

Everything is going high tech I am very okay with it personally, but I feel bad for the small group of people who are not tech savvy, not just old people, I meet someone who is younger then me who is not example online gyms are becoming more popular and restaurants having you look up tjeir menu online
What exactly are you talking about? Technology/devices for communication, business and entertainment or life under Covid restrictions? I think people are not completely understanding your question.

I think OP means stuff like this - my 78 year old mother and I went out to lunch today. Due to covid they no longer have menus to read, you have to scan a QR code and look at the menu online. They also require you to order and pay online. My mom had no clue what to do, if I wasn't with her, if I didn't show her the menu, order for her, and pay on my phone, she would've just left.

I think OP means stuff like this - my 78 year old mother and I went out to lunch today. Due to covid they no longer have menus to read, you have to scan a QR code and look at the menu online. They also require you to order and pay online. My mom had no clue what to do, if I wasn't with her, if I didn't show her the menu, order for her, and pay on my phone, she would've just left.
The Gray Panther revolutions has begun... oh wait, she didn't leave....I drive them nuts at Fry's....I want that app price..now...not on my phone, but at this desk!!! well that is how I vision the revolution...I really don't need that app item on sale in the grocery store. 👴👴👴👴🛀🛀🛀🛒🛒🛒📬📬🎱🎱

If we’re talking strictly the digital changes to it, I can do it, but I hate it.

I’m so sick of zoom and really hope this isn’t sticking around in this volume long term. I don’t like having to scan QR codes at restaurants, not because I can’t use it, but because it’s just another excuse for people to keep their phones out. Remote learning is going fine for my kids, but I hate how much they’re staring at screens between that, zoom ballet and their own recreational use.

I’m split on DH working from home. I like having him around and we’ve fallen into a routine, but I was so used to being alone during the day prior to this, I miss that sometimes.

Last edited:
As to the technology changes
I have not been to a restaurant to encounter the QR code menu's.
The annual conference I go to for work went digital. The plus was I could attend workshops I hadn't before because of them being held at the same time as the ones I am required to. The bad was there seemed to be a lot of technological issues.
We are transitioning to new case management software at work and instead of the trainings and testing being assisted in person it is all teleconference.

Technology changes due to covid, I’m currently okay with. Other changes like not being able to hang out with friends and family is not so fun.

The new normal for us is the same old same old. Restaurants open, shopping open, no mask requirements in our area, kids go to school etc. etc. I can live with it lol
You all don't wear masks inside public places? Do your kids not wear them at school either? Do you mind sharing w&ere you live?

We're in TN and as a state (myself included) were pretty late to the mask party, but it's the norm at this point...and still mandated. I work in a school and we're all wearing masks as well - all schools in the area are required staff and students. Honestly, I feel naked if I leave my office without it...same with my daughter. We definitely don't like wearing them, but it's totally the norm and has been for months at this point. I didn't realize there were still places im which wearing masks in public enclosed spaces happened much.

As far as the questions...I'm definitely not a fan. I really can't stand zoom meetings, except for while group zoom meetinfs where half the stuff doesn't apply to me, because I can just turn my video off and work on other things. Don't like the qr codes either.

The only thing I do like and hope sticks around is the socially distancing part in terms of waiting in lines and strangers not on top of you.

Traveling was also great while they were limiting the seating...we've traveled a decent amount over the last 8 months and the more space we'll definitely miss. I loved the less ppl around/on us during our 2 WDW trips post covid as well. Obviously there are down sides to it, but love the distancing from strangers.

Last edited:
It's been extremely difficult. No high school, dances, plays, sports, interacting face to face with friends for the kids. It's soul crushing when it's hurting your kids and there's nothing you can do to help them cope or change it. Oldest has only been out of the house 3 times - dentist, wisdom teeth consult, and removal. Youngest once every 5-6 weeks for braces adjustment. Me only once every two weeks for groceries. Husband almost every day cause his job is essential. Due to his massive exposure, we are doing our part by staying home.
Wow...do you mind sharing where you live? Only leaving the house 3 times in 8 months...almost unbelievable for someone like me. I think that's part of what's so fascinating about this pandemic...just how wide and large the pendulum swings on both sides. Just as I can't imagine going into a public place without a mask; I also can't imagine my children literally only leaving the house for Dr. appointments in 8 months. It's interesting to me how different the social norms are even within just the US.

You all don't wear masks inside public places? Do your kids not wear them at school either? Do you mind sharing w&ere you live?

We're in TN and as a state (myself included) were pretty late to the mask party, but it's the norm at this point...and still mandated. I work in a school and we're all wearing masks as well - all schools in the area are required staff and students. Honestly, I feel naked if I leave my office without it...same with my daughter. We definitely don't like wearing them, but it's totally the norm and has been for months at this point. I didn't realize there were still places im which wearing masks in public enclosed spaces happened much.

As far as the questions...I'm definitely not a fan. I really can't stand zoom meetings, except for while group zoom meetinfs where half the stuff doesn't apply to me, because I can just turn my video off and work on other things. Don't like the qr codes either.

The only thing I do like and hope sticks around is the socially distancing part in terms of waiting in lines and strangers not on top of you.

Traveling was also great while they were limiting the seating...we've traveled a decent amount over the last 8 months and the more space we'll definitely miss. I loved the less ppl around/on us during our 2 WDW trips post covid as well. Obviously there are down sides to it, but love the distancing from strangers.

I also live in an area that is fairly normal now with no mask mandates . Schools only require masks for 3rd grade and up. Dance, karate, and such no masks. Only a very few kids activity places choose to require them . High school football games have spectators too. And cases are very under control. Very few tied to schools also. Target and such require them but they don’t enforce at all.

I am a fan of the increased use of technology such as QR codes, ordering and paying online etc in restaurants. I don't find I'm staying on my phone any more than necessary as it's usually a treat to be out these days so once I've ordered the phone goes away so I can look around. I don't mind wearing a mask and a lack of human interaction hasn't bothered me so far.

Zoom meetings haven't really been a thing at work, we had to be sent home quickly when we first shut down here and most of us were given equipment without cameras so no video meetings for us. The one downside to the new technology is people got a bit carried away with conference call meetings - in the office we needed to book meeting space and it was always hard to get. Now we don't need that so people tend to fill your whole day with meetings, which became the new normal for us. Thankfully everyone has started pushing back on that now!

I am tired of not being able to travel though. We're currently on local restrictions where we're not supposed to leave our town, shops are open but cinemas have closed down again, restaurants can only open till 5. I'd love to be able to drive to another town, go for a meal and see a movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter