What does everyone buy at Costco?

We don't shop there often but:

We often buy:
-- dog food
--paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates)
--laundry detergent an fabric softener
--shampoo
--coffee k-cups
--soap
--vitamins
--medicine (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, generic claritin, etc)
--gas
--I really liked them for kids clothes, but my kids are growing out of children's sizes and I find the adult selections to be more hit-or-miss.

We have also found, by far, the best deals on rental cars through Costco travel for our last two vacations.

I don't do a lot of shopping in their grocery area because the packages are often large enough that we can't eat it all before it will spoil, and I don't have a large freezer, but everything we get there is good. If we buy groceries we often get:
--rotisserie chicken
--chicken salad (yum!)
--sandwich platters for parties
--yogurt
--frozen potstickers
--cereal.

wow, I'm definitely going to have to make a plan to check it all out some Saturday when we've got time. Do you guys all have the Executive membership? They talked me into upgrading to it. Sounds like a no-lose situation (at least for the first year) since you get the price back if you don't earn the entire $60 back. Seems like with the big purchases, it would definitely be worth it!

Yes, I do. And their branded Visa card. I get back 100's of dollars every year. Last year, nearly $800. Obviously, I didn't spend all that at Costco, but the Visa card is a very good deal .... most of the rebate came from that. No annual fee. And I put EVERYTHING I can on that card (including my annual insurance bill....which is in the multiple thousands of dollars because of the rental properties I own), and get back 1-3% depending on what category it falls in.

A good amount of our shopping is done at Costco, but it is about 5 minutes away from us so it is super convienent.

We buy:
Gas (cheapest around)
Perscription Glasses
Toilet Paper
Paper Towels
Garbage bags (which last us about a year for $12 or $13)
Produce
Chicken breast and ground beef (It comes prepackaged and easy to freeze)
ALL of my son's pants and shorts. He likes Adidas and depending on the season they always have shorts or track pants for a good price.
Some clothes.
Snacks for the kid's lunches
Photo prints
Organic canned tomato products
Dishwasher pods
Laundry pods
Dog food
and more.

We use to have our own membership, but now my job buys it for me so it is free. Even if we paid for our membership it would be worth the savings.

Last edited:
I just go to ARCO, 2 cents a gallon cheaper, no line, and a FEW of them even taking credit cards now.

Not around here. My closest Arco is still more (I get premium) by at least 10 cents a gallon, and they don't take credit cards. The strange thing about that Arco station is that they used to take credit cards and didn't charge more than cash.

Costco also has higher detergent additive levels than Arco, although Arco has upped theirs recently.

We buy a lot of things at Costco but usually don't buy food there as the quantities are just too large for our 2 person household. I've bought eyeglasses there before and the cost was nearly $300 cheaper than buying them through my eye docs place. Costco is good for computers and tvs too.

Paper products, vitamins, produce, frozen convenience foods, kitty litter and flea meds, prescriptions, almost all our meat, dairy, gas. Going today and getting crab and frozen shrimp for a huge pot of gumbo.

In my area, Costco meat is miles above the grocery stores. I buy a big piece and cut it myself to freeze. I like to get prime sirloin, and sometimes I have to ask for it if it's not out. I have a daughter who likes steak, but won't eat it if there's a big chunk of fat, like in a ribeye. Prime sirloin is marbled enough to be tender, but it's all in small bits that melt away when cooking. Also, in my area, it's the only affordable option for natural pork. I won't cook with meat that has been injected with any sort of solution, because that messes up my recipes and/or browning.

For us, the savings in gas (with the executive membership and their visa) pays for the membership. Our Arco's are the second best option, but they have a cash vs. card price that is 6 to 10 cents different.

Is that at costco online or do you have to constantly be checking the store? I'm a single woman who tries to eat locally and I eat out all the time, so I figured costco made no sense, and its super inconvenient. However, if I could a deal on designer handbags without having to drive across the city, THAT could make the cost of admission worth it.

It's online. You have to look under clothing and you will see handbags and luggage.

Like I said you have to be lucky to catch it before it's gone. Lol. They should start getting more items online once the holidays roll around. Costco carries some crazy high priced items. If I remember correctly they had a diamond ring you could buy for your best girl/boy for $1 million a couple of years ago! :scared1: Too bad it's a little bit out of my price range.

I find that each Costco can carry different items which drives me crazy at times.

We are a small family so we don't buy as much of the food items as many. Also our location while not too far is not very convenient, the exit is a mess. However we do stock up every 2-3 months. The main things we buy are:

Kirkland Dog food (worth the price of membership right there)
Kirkland Laundry Pods
Kirkland Olive Oil
Solo Cups for parties
Paper Towels etc
Rotisserie Chicken
OTC medications/vitamins
Dave's Killer Bread
Spices
Cereal

My husband also has found some good deals for his socks, shirts etc. Sometimes we find various other products. Last year I got a good deal on a mattress topper that my dd really needed for joint issues.

And also the bakery. Be warned, they have some really yummy stuff. The cinnamon/butter loaves should be outlawed.

When Costco has that sort of stuff it tends to be a one-off deal or "traveling shows" where a rep from the seller is there. Sometimes they get deals with local or regional retailers and might sell them in a limited number of stores. If it's designer handbags, they would tend to be grey market since the manufacturer doesn't typically want them sold at Costco. I've seen some expensive (up to $10,000) watches in the jewelry case, and my guess is that they're grey market and have the serial numbers scrubbed to prevent tracing back to the authorized retailer that sold it to Costco or an intermediary.

https://www.costco.com/special-events.html

One of the ones I remember was a traveling show with various imported rugs. That was just after the embargo on rugs from Iran in 2010, but these were imported before the embargo started. We bought a reasonably large Persian rug for under $1000. It was a very nice rug, but we couldn't figure out what to do with it and returned it. Costco took it back without question, even though the traveling show had left over a month earlier.

I was in one talking to a rep from the seller of smoker grills. The thing my kid likes is that they sell home versions of Vitamix blenders, although they usually have them until they run out and don't need a rep around to sell them. We already have one, but we hang around when they have someone to demonstrate them. It isn't actually a Vitamix employee, but they contract out to independent contractors who create smoothie, soup, etc recipes and demonstrate how the blenders work. And they attract crowds who are just waiting for the various stuff they're preparing.

The gift card/certificates may even be for local/regional businesses. I've even seen them selling gift certificates for local restaurants with just one or two locations. One of the really good deals I saw was $50 for two $50 gift certificates at a local teppanyaki restaurant. Not only that, but they set up a demonstration with two of their chefs and they were handing out samples.

What are you talking about?

Most of the designer handbags they had on line were the same handbags being sold at Saks. I'm not talking about the trunk shows they have, I'm talking about items online where they have a very limited number.

I've purchased a Tag-Heuer for myself and my husband bought a Breitling for himself. Both watches came in boxes with all the paperwork. I've had them serviced at jewelry stores and was never told they were gray market watches AND all the serial numbers are intact (I just checked my watch).

So I guess when someone buys a $25,000 Rolex, Audemars, or Cartier these companies will have an issue with the sale because someone bought it at Costco instead of an over-priced jewelry store? I learn something new everyday.

Not around here. My closest Arco is still more (I get premium) by at least 10 cents a gallon, and they don't take credit cards. The strange thing about that Arco station is that they used to take credit cards and didn't charge more than cash.

Costco also has higher detergent additive levels than Arco, although Arco has upped theirs recently.
ARCO is "Top Tier" gas, LOL, the highest there is.
Checking Gas Buddy right now, Costco of $2.55 Sams Club $2.52, Safeway $2.52 ARCO $2.52

Most of the designer handbags they had on line were the same handbags being sold at Saks. I'm not talking about the trunk shows they have, I'm talking about items online where they have a very limited number.

I've purchased a Tag-Heuer for myself and my husband bought a Breitling for himself. Both watches came in boxes with all the paperwork. I've had them serviced at jewelry stores and was never told they were gray market watches AND all the serial numbers are intact (I just checked my watch).

So I guess when someone buys a $25,000 Rolex, Audemars, or Cartier these companies will have an issue with the sale because someone bought it at Costco instead of an over-priced jewelry store? I learn something new everyday.
Yes those watch companies can and do void the warranty. The warranty could have to go through Costco with an independent watch maker. Rolex and Cartier are both particular about this. And if they find the authorized dealer that sold Costco the watch they can and will pull their AD status. With the serial number it's very easy to track and that is why the number could be removed.

has anyone bought furniture? I like the modular sofa our store has in now, but I'm not sure how it will hold up?

I can live without Costco, I often get things cheaper at Aldi, the military commissary, and soon we will have a Lidl. But I do join when they have the groupon deal. I like the toilet paper, athletic shoes, some clothes/coats for kids, almond butter, almonds and walnuts, and chocolate chips. It is the only place I can reflll our printer cartridges.

has anyone bought furniture? I like the modular sofa our store has in now, but I'm not sure how it will hold up?

We bought both our kids bedroom sets from there. We got them both when the girls were 3 and they are 14 and almost 11 now. Both sets are in great shape still. We also bought a coffee table a few years ago and love it . I haven't bought a sofa there but love Costco furniture.

Eta: I just remebered we also got my eldest desk there probably around 4 years ago....again no problems with it. :)

Paper towels, toilet paper, tortilla chips (Kirkland brand; they are really good!), dish soap, trash bags, ziploc bags, bottled water, bed sheets, almonds - among lots of other items.

ARCO is "Top Tier" gas, LOL, the highest there is.
Checking Gas Buddy right now, Costco of $2.55 Sams Club $2.52, Safeway $2.52 ARCO $2.52

Top Tier represents a minimum performance standard to pass a real engine test. Many of the big names like Shell and Chevron go well beyond it. Costco has a fairly unique system where they buy gas without additives and they inject the additive when it's delivered. They do it at levels similar to Shell or Chevron. If you're ever at a Costco gas station, look for the lavender cover.

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html

That being said, fuel is a commodity. With very few exceptions, the base fuel is distributed as a commodity by pipeline operators. If you're buying gas at a Shell station, there's no guarantee that it's exclusives fuel from a Shell refinery. The additives may be proprietary and stored at the fuel depot.

I was under the impression that they were scrubbed of the serial numbers because they are grey market. I know some people who bought grey market watches where the authorized seller was in on it and insisted that the serial number be scrubbed to prevent tracing back to the dealer. However, Costco isn't an authorized retailer, and Costco or a warranty provider would provide a warranty and not the manufacturer. I looked up more of how they get these watches, and it turns out that they tend to buy from intermediaries who buy directly from authorized dealers where they're cheaper. The authorized dealer may not be aware that it's being sold or maybe doesn't care.

The owner of Omega sued Costco over advertising their watches. The claim was that a little something they added to the watches sold outside the US was copyrighted, and Costco had no right to sell it based on its right to distribute copyrighted works and not based on product distribution rights.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-at-a-discount-without-copyright-liability/

The background to the suit is pretty simple. Costco bought a bunch of Omega Seamaster watches overseas on the so-called “gray market” – i.e. from an authorized Omega distributor. The watches, intended for sale in Europe, were priced low enough so that a third party, ENE Limited, could purchase them abroad and sell them to Costco, which could offer them to US customers at a price significantly below the price at which Omega-authorized distributors in the US offered them for sale. Omega, admittedly trying to block this very thing, had inscribed a tiny globe on the back of the watch (where no one would ever really see it); they then brought suit against Costco, asserting that the retailer was “distributing copies” of a copyrighted work – the tiny globe — to the public without its (Omega’s) permission.​

Costco admits it right on its website. Here's an example of a Rolex Daytona:

https://www.costco.com/.product.100342448.html

This item is covered by Costco's guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied. Costco's guarantee applies, even though this item may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, because Costco is not an "authorized" dealer of the merchandise.​

um...Vodka :lmao:

ok and rotisserie chicken it's great, Maple Syrup, k-cups, their all beef hot dogs, Artichoke Hearts, Peanut butter filled pretzels, hearing aid batteries for my dad, limes

Kae

um...Vodka :lmao:

Don't even need a membership to buy that in California. Member-only sales of alcohol or prescription items aren't allowed in California. You'd have to go up to the greeter in front and mention you're getting alcohol or whatever. Then at checkout you need to tell them you're not a member. Not all checkers are even aware of it since it's rare, but the managers have some sort of generic membership number they can use for alcohol only sales to nonmembers. Sam's Club would also need to do that.

90% of our grocery shopping is at Costco.
Pet food
Vitamins and meds
Gift Cards (we save a bundle!)
clothing
TVs
gloves, socks, Mixers, batteries

What do we NOT buy at Costco?

That is us. It is hard to figure out what we don't buy there.
We get:
Fresh fruit and veggies.
Bread and buns and wraps
Gluten free bread (best price around)
Paper products
Eggs, milk, cream, yogurt, lunch meat, cheese, sour cream
Chicken, pork, beef
Gifts, socks, clothes, gift cards
Office supplies, light bulbs, batteries
Shampoo, conditioner, soap, deodorant
Cleaning supplies, laundry supplies
Bottled water, soda
Canned goods, cereal, sugar
Personal care items

I'm sure there is more, that I can't think of right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter