What do you use to refuel on a long run?

RangerPooh

DIS Veteran
Please tell me about what you carry for energy/fuel when you're on a long run. I've heard of gu and beans (? ) /gummy, but what do you like the best? I'm running Bloomsday next weekend and am wondering what I should bring with me. I've learned that around mile 4 I start needing something, just haven't discovered what.

Thanks!

We are in the midst of trying to change how we fuel to more whole food type alternatives, so we are at a upheaval stage right now. I can tell you before that we used Cliff bars and sport beans primarily and the occasional jolly rancher tucked in a cheek. That seemed to work well for us. I never really could learn to stomach Gu very well.

I use Clif shots, Clif bloks, and Sport Beans. I mix it up so my stomach doesn't get sick of the same thing over and over again. Fueling is something you really need to experiment with to find out what does and doesn't work for you. Try different brands and different flavors until you find some that you like and can eat while running without a problem.

Please tell me about what you carry for energy/fuel when you're on a long run. I've heard of gu and beans (? ) /gummy, but what do you like the best? I'm running Bloomsday next weekend and am wondering what I should bring with me. I've learned that around mile 4 I start needing something, just haven't discovered what.

Thanks!

I used to use GU until I tried Cliff Shots (at one of the Disney races). I like the consistency and taste of the Cliff shots better...but that's just my personal preference.

I use Jelly Belly Sport Beans - fruit punch flavor. I've tried Gu Chomps and they are okay, but they are a little too chewy for me and get stuck in my teeth, which bothers me for the rest of the run.

I use the Clif blok. I carry 2-4 with me on runs that are longer than 7 miles.

As you can see - this is a very personal issue. We are all an experiment on one, so what works for me may not work for you.

I would suggest trying gels, black, beans tummies of various manufacturers and flavors. Trust me when I say what sounds good in the store may actually be a real negative on course. Sport oriented fuel is more readily packable for the run, but one could substitute a real food like dates or even candy. Again try these on the run before race day. The real food tends to have a little more fiber than the system wont's and candies tend to not help with electrolytes.

By a small variety and then on a run that will last 90 minutes or longer take one out the door. Try your first fueling at about 45 minutes and then every 45 minutes afterwards. If a run will not last 45 minutes after the last fuel, skip the fueling.

The process is take a sip of water, fuel then wash down with a cup (3-4 oz) of water. It's preferable to not take on a sport drink at the same time. The solids losing from both fuel and sport drink can create GI issues.

Going back to the interval... 45 minutes is a starting point. You can go shorter or longer... most folks are in the 45-70 minute range for fueling. As we near your goal race, it is a great idea to look at the map and aid station locations and overlay your pace. Then train your last couple of long runs fueling at the aid station closest to your best fueling interval. Do not automatically go with a mileage recommended by someone... they definitely have a different system than you and they may pace faster - leaving you under fueled near the end of the trip.

Take your time and learn what is a good source for you. You should look to 3-4 flavors/manufacturers and even styles of fuel. I mix mine in a fanny pack or along my fuel belt in a random order. That way I do not grab my favorites early in the race leaving the one I not really wanting that day for last. I will reserve one of the favorites for a nasty hill, a long stretch or Mile 20 for the added mental and physical boost.

Over the course of a year I foud that I tolerate sports beans (jelly belly brand) and clif shot bloks best. I need salt so I used margarita flavor with 3 times the sodium in the shot bloks. Long runs I also bring clif's electrolyte mix (lemon line flavor).

Other stuff just feels like sugar, or makes my belly nervous, etc. for me it's not something I could work out in a week.

For your situation, bring a few things, try them. If you are using a gu or gel, drink water. Hey are meant to e used with water. My brother, a seasoned running veteran (he's done marine corps marathon for instance), destroyed a PR for himself by eating a course-provided, untested gel without drinking enough water with it. Said that all the water from his body apparently went to his gut to take care of the gel, which caused him major problems.

So be careful.

I can't tolerate the gels. I have used Gstorade chews with success, but I am experimenting with whole foods at this point. I just finished a half marathon and found during the training process that I can go with fruit (I used sliced apples or oranges) at the half way point and Gatorade drink throughout the course. I am also the unusual one that you will find eating a sandwich while waiting in the corral at the start. My body needs to eat right before I run.

I don't fuel at all unless my runs reach 14-15 miles. Unless you have blood glucose problems, you should not need to take in calories for runs less than 3 hours long. In fact, if you get your body used to converting fat for energy, you will be quite surprised at how efficient a machine it can become. Between your glycogen stores and your fat conversion rates, you can run for a lot longer than you realize.

I do, however, run with Gatorade if the day is hot enough to warrant it, and Gatorade has calories. I do this simply because I like the taste of Gatorade and will drink more - enough to avoid hydration issues when sweating profusely.

As for what I use for fuel when running long - anything. I am lucky in that my body will tolerate just about anything. My favorites are Gu gels (most any flavor) and Gu Chomps (Strawberry or Lemon).

The night before or a couple of hours before my run I drink water with a Nuun tablet. During my long runs (as of this writing my longest run has been 12 miles and I consider a "long run" anything more than a 10k) I eat a couple of chews every 3 or 4 miles. My all-time favorites Honey Stinger and ProBar Bolt, but I don't mind Cliff Shot Bloks and Gu chews. The Jelly Belly sport beans are okay; I prefer to eat them before a run instead of during it.

I've only had maybe two or three in my very short running career, but I absolutely cannot stand gels of any brand.

Expresso GU. I also drink Accelerade before heading out and after. If I do anything over 5 miles I'll drink some EnduroxR4 afterwards.

I use a variety.

I like fruit punch flavored sports beans.

Gu: Salted Caramel, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and peppermint stick (hard to find!)

Honey Stingers-fruit smoothie gummies--but for some reason I didn't like the fruit smoothie gel as much

Hammer gel--banana. OMG, I thought banana would be awful, but the salesman at the running store let me try some and it wasn't bad. Then, when I used it on a long run, it was so good! :banana:

Clif bloks,GU gels and sport beans,I mix it up.For like a full marathon I bring like 4-5 GU gels and about 3 sport beans and 3 Clif bloks.I don't like any of these with a chocolate or coffee flavor so I stick to fruity flavors,I tried those margarita flavored Clif Bloks and I would only suggest those to people who loose a lot of salt from sweating because that flavor is way too salty,at least for me.

I agree with a lot of the other posts, try all sorts of fuels to figure out what works for you. I tried gels but my texture issues kicked in, I couldn't even stand to swallow it. I had similar issues with most of the chews.

The only thing that works for me is Sport Beans from Jelly Belly which is odd because I don't really like jelly beans. I prefer the pomegranate extreme which have a hit of caffeine with them. For my half in January I used two bags of the beans. They come in a small zip top pouch and have enough room in the pouch that I was able to combine the two together easily. I fuel starting around mile 5 just before a water station. I only drink water during a race/long run, I have Powerade Zero before and after.

Don't forget the importance of fueling in the days before and morning of the race. If you don't properly fuel then, you won't have enough of a foundation and your in race fueling won't be enough to get you through.

The night before or a couple of hours before my run I drink water with a Nuun tablet. During my long runs (as of this writing my longest run has been 12 miles and I consider a "long run" anything more than a 10k) I eat a couple of chews every 3 or 4 miles. My all-time favorites Honey Stinger and ProBar Bolt, but I don't mind Cliff Shot Bloks and Gu chews. The Jelly Belly sport beans are okay; I prefer to eat them before a run instead of during it.

I've only had maybe two or three in my very short running career, but I absolutely cannot stand gels of any brand.

Can you use Nuun "on the run"? Or is there not enough replacement items in it?

We are in the midst of trying to change how we fuel to more whole food type alternatives, so we are at a upheaval stage right now.

Have you tried PocketFuel? It's difficult to use on colder-weather runs (b/c it hardens up), but it's nice when it actually squeezes out of the pouch. :)

As you can see - this is a very personal issue. We are all an experiment on one, so what works for me may not work for you.

I would suggest trying gels, black, beans tummies of various manufacturers and flavors. ...

Take your time and learn what is a good source for you.

The issue for the OP is that they have a long run coming up next week that they need this for.

I don't fuel at all unless my runs reach 14-15 miles. Unless you have blood glucose problems, you should not need to take in calories for runs less than 3 hours long. In fact, if you get your body used to converting fat for energy, you will be quite surprised at how efficient a machine it can become. Between your glycogen stores and your fat conversion rates, you can run for a lot longer than you realize.

I am lucky in that my body will tolerate just about anything. My favorites are Gu gels (most any flavor) and Gu Chomps (Strawberry or Lemon).

I think you're lucky in a couple ways there. I don't have blood sugar problems, but this level of running/jogging is so new to me that my body is still working it all out. I used to HAVE TO fuel even during 5Ks. I sweat a ton, I lose all sorts of salt, and that didn't just start 3 hours into something. During my recently-started Spin classes, I now have a puddle of sweat on the floor with a 45 minute class and my face is a salt-lick (OK, ew).

Changing how your body does something takes time.

The only thing that works for me is Sport Beans from Jelly Belly which is odd because I don't really like jelly beans.

FWIW the ingredients are totally different from Jelly Belly's jellybeans. We can't even eat the JBs here in my household thanks to ingredients, but Sports Beans are so different I've even let my sensitive son have them on occasion (when we're training for 5Ks together).

Switched to just gels now along with salt tabs. Find the gels just work better for me even though I'm not crazy about the taste. Clif gels are the best for me taste and consistency wise. Salt tabs are working well too because I don't have to worry so much about getting electrolytes from drinks. Was using Bonk Bars for awhile but just too bulky to carry for log distances. Good luck finding what you like and what works best for you.

Have you tried PocketFuel? It's difficult to use on colder-weather runs (b/c it hardens up), but it's nice when it actually squeezes out of the pouch. :)

I hadn't heard of this. I just looked it up and looks like a real possibility. Thanks! :goodvibes

I've never taken gels with water, is there a reason to do it or is it just to make them easier to eat (taste/texture wise)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter