• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you do on long flights?

For Mother's Day, my husband bought me an Amazon Kindle...it's the best gift ever! We just went to Wyoming and I loaded several books on it. You can download right from the Kindle...works off of cell phone towers and is super fast. The battery also lasts a really long time and charges quickly. The only downside on a plane is that you have to wait for them to give you the go ahead for electronics before you can read.

We have a 13-hour flight coming up in October, and I have an iPod filled with soothing, relaxing, quiet music to help me settle in, and I also have an iTouch that will have several movies loaded, and I will probably a paperback book and a magazine or two.

I seriously considered a Kindle, but wasn't sure I would use it a whole lot other than when flying, so I decided not to incur the expense. My future DIL has a Kindle and absolutely loves it, but then she also reads ALL the time, but I have decided to pass on it for right now.

I seriously considered a Kindle, but wasn't sure I would use it a whole lot other than when flying, so I decided not to incur the expense. My future DIL has a Kindle and absolutely loves it, but then she also reads ALL the time, but I have decided to pass on it for right now.
Did you read that Amazon deleted books off of people's Kindles through the Whispernet? The publishers decided they didn't want 2 books offered as eBooks any more (irony of ironies -- George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm) so when people turned on their Kindles, Amazon deleted the books and gave them a refund. I think I'd rather have an eBook that Amazon can't get their hands on, thank you. (Personally, I have a Sony eReader, and it is fabulous. And Whispernet free!)

Sayhello

Did you read that Amazon deleted books off of people's Kindles through the Whispernet? The publishers decided they didn't want 2 books offered as eBooks any more (irony of ironies -- George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm) so when people turned on their Kindles, Amazon deleted the books and gave them a refund. I think I'd rather have an eBook that Amazon can't get their hands on, thank you. (Personally, I have a Sony eReader, and it is fabulous. And Whispernet free!)

Sayhello

No, I hadn't, I hadn't checked out the Kindle enough to even know what Whispernet is. I had heard that some publishers were not happy that some of their books were being sold so cheap and that they were going to be more selective about which ones to make available. No specifics to offer, but I do remember hearing that.

I think one book on this trip is all I will need, so a paperback should fill the bill for a lot less money. Now, as I get older and my eyesight gets worse, that would probably make the Kindle a good option for me, worth the money at that point.

7 hours? I'm going to assume one meal on take off and a snack on arrival.

Start watching a movie while eating, when the movie is finished get up and take a walk.

Settle in for a nap for a couple of hours (wear compression stockings, bring earplugs to block the airplane sound, eyemask to block light, and a blow-up neck pillow).

Take another stroll, eat snack, arrive.

Mainly, expect to have a full night's sleep either before you had to the airport, or on arrival, because a 7 hour flight won't really give you much rest, it takes a good 10 hours to have a shot at that, and as a previous poster said it's not a crash hot idea to snooze off on a plane for a long period of time anyway unless you're in a lie flat bed/seat. Airline magazines usually have in seat exercises described.

Hope the flight goes well, and remember to fill out your arrival forms during the flight so you're not rushing to do it on arrival. :)

I take it that you haven't got small children as you wouldn't be talking about sleeping for it all. LOL.

In the days before kids when use to to the 24 hours from London to New Zealand (now we do it stages)

The compression socks are great, keep your feet warm and stop your legs from swelling.

We always got 2 seats on the isle so people would hopefully exit the otherside of us. I hate having to climb over people and would find I wouldn't get up as much and that time I couldn't even push my finger to dent the skin on my swollen legs.

Movies, pick ones you don't have really concentrate on, I find it hard with extra airplane noise and things going on. And mostly I am not in the mood for something heavy.

You will find it goes pretty fast by the time you get on eat, snooze a little, watch a movie or two.

Have a great trip.

Although i will say the best trip I ever did was 12 Hours from LAX to New Zealand when I took a sleeping pill, fell alseep just after the meal and woke up in time for breakfast. bliss. ok not good for the blood clot side of it but it was a great flight. ;)

Kirsten

Hi All,
I think that comfort is key here. For many of us, the thought of a long haul journey brings back those dreaded childhood memories of air travel, where excitement at the prospect of a journey was soon replaced by nausea, the onset of air sickness, claustrophobia, the terror of economy-class cramp, airplane bathroom horrors, and in the end (airline toys can only keep you so interested), the dull droning monotony of long hours spent on the plane. Fast forward to adult life and flying doesn’t get much better. The coach-class cramp is worse, trepidation related to the obligatory bathroom trip is amplified (some people actually get dressed in there? Brush their teeth in there? - EEEEUWW!), and dehydration, scratchy eyes, sleeplessness and general discomfort reign supreme. But it doesn’t have to be so…

The dehydration first. Not the thing you are most likely to be bothered by (especially if you’re still thinking of excuses to avoid the germ-infested bathroom at all costs), but probably the factor most likely to do maximum damage. To avoid excessive bathroom trips (not to mention the general annoyance to those sitting around you), get hydrated well in advance of your long haul flight. If you’re flying in the evening, spend the day downing several litres of glorious, hydrating, rejuvenating H20. Do not even consider any mildly diuretic drink, and alcohol especially is a strict no-go area. By the time you board the plane, you will be prepared for the journey, and will not have to drink as much water to see you through the flight. (But by all means, do continue to drink water, and go to the bathroom when you need to – if you can psyche yourself up to the task, it isn’t so bad – promise).

Rule number two. Dress comfortably. Notice here that important distinction between stylish, well thought out comfort, and sheer sloppiness. The latter will not get you an upgrade and, let’s face it, there is no better way to survive a long air flight than to travel first class! For women, easy, fluid wool suits do the trick (drawstring pants are a particular bonus for overcoming the bloat factor that is so frequently associated with air travel). Also very helpful for climate changes and/or when the cabin temperature drops to freezing (as it inevitably does at night - even when you are flying in the tropics) is the pashmina shawl. Cosy, but also refined and elegant. For men, tailored pants, a collared shirt and perhaps a pullover are likely to do. Not too casual, not too formal – and layered to cope with the change in temperature. Shoes are important. Many passengers have a preference for throwing them off and getting well acquainted with the airline-provided socks. By all means, yes – but have you ever tried to squeeze your puffy feet into by-then-two-sizes-too-small shoes at the end of a long flight? Again, it cannot be stressed often enough – go for comfort and a pair of shoes that will accommodate a slightly expanded foot. Women – stay away from heels. Anyone who tried to indoctrinate you into thinking that heels equaled elegance was obviously lying. There is nothing remotely chic about backache, or tripping as you try to manoeuvre your hand luggage up the plane stairs – besides, if – God forbid – you have to use the airplane slide, you will be compelled to leave the Blahniks behind. Not fun.

OK. So you are now settled in your seat, comfortably dressed, ready for your plane trip. Some extra precautions are needed to avoid, as much as possible, looking like you just got off a long haul flight when you get to your destination. Moisturize well. Alternatively, spritz your face on occasion with an energizing, refreshing spray. Dry cabin air will probably necessitate the use of soothing eye drops. Many find that flight time provides an ideal opportunity for the application of a soothing eye mask – eye covers soaked in moisture-replenishing fluid. Saline solution drops are also a useful thing to have on hand when it comes to relief of a dry nose. Pack your hand luggage wisely. You do not want to be carrying a mountain of things, making life difficult for you, but you do want to have all essentials close at hand. A nifty travel pack that includes eye drops, moisturizer and lip balm is always a good thing to include. So is something to keep you busy, in case the in-flight entertainment proves wanting. A good book (something easy to get into rather than highly ambitious and literary), a magazine or even a Game Boy could come in handy. Long distance flights (all those hours wasted in the air!) in general provide the ideal time to catch up on all those niggly little things that you can never quite find the time to do. (Write that letter to a long forgotten friend? Work out your budget? Rub cuticle cream into your nails? Plan your CV? – the possibilities are endless).

Do use this time wisely, but if you are on an overnight flight, the best thing you can do is allow yourself to sleep. Generally, most of us are running on a sleep deficit, in dire need of any extra hours for snoozing, and flights still provide the best opportunity to catch a quick nap (it’s not like you’re going anywhere, is it?). Eat a light meal – try to signal to the steward that you would appreciate your meal as soon as possible – try to walk around the cabin for a bit before you sleep, and then settle into your reclining seat, lie back, eye covers on, and indulge…

Hopefully you will arrive at your destination well rested and ready to face the day. Bon Voyage!

Best Regards......... :)

:dance3:
We will going to Ireland in June and we have a 7+ hour leg on our flight. I haven't been on a long flight before and normally can not sleep.

Unfortunately, DH will probably sleep the entire time. I'm considering OTC sleeping pills, but I'm a little leary of that. Seven hours is just too long to just read and watch a movie. Any suggestions?

:dance3:No big suggestions, but I have watched movies all the way over to the UK. The thing is that on your way OVER ( going EAST) your flight will probably be starting in the evening. You'll be all tired out from packing, planning,getting there and then when you finally get on the plane, you can relax. You'll get settled in, take off your shoes, eat supper, have a couple glasses of wine, and then put on your headphones and start watching a movie or listen to music and VOILA! You'll be dozing off!

I can usually rest a few hours, and then when I do get restless, I go for a little walk to the back of the plane, and stretch. Then I can sit down and have some coffee, and they bring breakfast, and it's time to get ready to land! The time goes by surprisingly fast!

Have a wonderful time in Ireland....that's the one I want to take ,too!

Great information from all. I have not yet been on a really long flight. I always end up asking those I know that have what they do. I am glad to see that someone else had the same question as me.

I am not big on flying so I do what many here have mentioned..Ipod,movies,read. I try and sleep though it usually does not work unless we travel on a red eye flight.

I have a friend leaving for Australia this week so I may have to question him about what he did on the plane when he gets home!! :scared1:
________
Cancer - cervical / ovarian forums

I am not a nervous flyer- I am a terrified flyer. I tried hypnosis and a bunch of other stuff to overcome it (got sedated on a flight as a teenager when I tried to get out of the plane before take off!) but I finally found the perfect solution (because I LOVE to travel)- Valium- talk to your doctor! I have a perscription that actually says "take one one hour prior to flying". Haven't had any trouble since. I have no other anxiety issues but this solves my air travel issues. I am alert enough to help my son 4 now but started flying at 6mo including a 5 1/2 hour to LA from Orlando, but I remember very little if nothing from the flight and after working out the dosage I often remember getting to the airport and getting to the hotel and nothing in between. You might want to at least ask to see if they will help you! The best thing for me is that my son LOVES flying because he has never had to see Mommy freak out on the plane and I can just enjoy the trip!

two word:

Tylenol PM

Take 2 of those and head into sleepy time. You wont remember a thing and you will swear when you do wake up that you just took off.

Leaves you feeling good:goodvibes

One of the things I learned on our China trip... one thing you are NOT ALLOWED to do on long trips is look out the window. I got actually YELLED at by the stewardess (sorry, as snotty as she was, I'm not about to be polite to call her a flight attendant) for trying to look out the window. You are instructed to close the window as soon as takeoff is over and yelled at any time you open them after that until you are told you HAVE to open them for landing.

We flew over the arctic circle... hello... worked hard at getting a window seat and they want to screw me out of being able to see anything.

Add to that, the person in the middle of the plane (the middle three of the three, three, three) because I was looking out MY window and she couldn't see out it well enough with me trying to see out it... and the same STEWARDESS 'requested' that I please sit further back in my seat so others could see out of my window.

I love to fly, but I'm SO not into long flights becuase they are so snotty on them.

One of the things I learned on our China trip... one thing you are NOT ALLOWED to do on long trips is look out the window. I got actually YELLED at by the stewardess (sorry, as snotty as she was, I'm not about to be polite to call her a flight attendant) for trying to look out the window. You are instructed to close the window as soon as takeoff is over and yelled at any time you open them after that until you are told you HAVE to open them for landing.

We flew over the arctic circle... hello... worked hard at getting a window seat and they want to screw me out of being able to see anything.

Add to that, the person in the middle of the plane (the middle three of the three, three, three) because I was looking out MY window and she couldn't see out it well enough with me trying to see out it... and the same STEWARDESS 'requested' that I please sit further back in my seat so others could see out of my window.

I love to fly, but I'm SO not into long flights becuase they are so snotty on them.
Why aren't you allowed to look out the window?

Why did you have to move so that some one else could see out of the window? Should that person have requested a window seat?

What airline did you fly? In prior trips to Asia, we flew United and American, but this time I flew Cathay Pacific. They too had us close the window covers but I must admit, having it dark helped me adapt to the time difference better in both directions. But I don't recall anyone being yelled at, but I was in the center seat.

We were on continental.
If I had been asked I probably wouldn't have reacted so much like I was slapped. I wasn't even asked the first time... and putting a blanket over my head to block the light when I tried to peak out of a crack 2 inches high didn't stop the old bat from being a light seeking missal and jumping all over me.

Maybe the Northwest flight will be more polite...

I LOVE to use the itouch when I am unable to do "real" studying or work! This thing can keep you occupied on the plane for the whole flight! I have everything from games to books to apps that teach me how to speak French; although Gaelic might be better suited for Ireland!:goodvibes I hope you have a fabulous trip.:cutie:

I LOVE to use the itouch when I am unable to do "real" studying or work! This thing can keep you occupied on the plane for the whole flight! I have everything from games to books to apps that teach me how to speak French; although Gaelic might be better suited for Ireland!:goodvibes I hope you have a fabulous trip.:cutie:
PixieDustLuv, what apps do you have? I'm going to be relying on my new iTouch to help keep me occupied on my 7-hour flight to Alaska in 2 weeks! I love the thing, but I haven't had a chance to explore the available apps much yet. And that French tutorial might be useful for next year!

Sayhello

I, too, am preparing for a long flight; but to London. I got the itouch and LOVE it for the times when I cannot do any "real" studying or work. I have everything from games to books to apps that teach me how to speak French! Although Gaelic might be better suited for your trip!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter