What do you do on long flights?

tigger_ttfn

Mouseketeer
We will going to Ireland in June and we have a 7+ hour leg on our flight. I haven't been on a long flight before and normally can not sleep.

Unfortunately, DH will probably sleep the entire time. I'm considering OTC sleeping pills, but I'm a little leary of that. Seven hours is just too long to just read and watch a movie. Any suggestions?

We will going to Ireland in June and we have a 7+ hour leg on our flight. I haven't been on a long flight before and normally can not sleep.

Unfortunately, DH will probably sleep the entire time. I'm considering OTC sleeping pills, but I'm a little leary of that. Seven hours is just too long to just read and watch a movie. Any suggestions?
Please beware of sleeping through an entire flight! (Especially one that long). Your legs being cramped in that one position for such a long period of time can cause blood clots. It's more common than people think. Those seats bend your legs into a very unnatural angle, along with being cramped & unsupportive. The best thing to do is get up & walk around once an hour and drink PLENTY of fluids.

Flying itself is not what causes blood clots, it's the fact that people get in their seats and then don't move for several hours until they reach their destinations. And unless you're flying First Class, you're unlikely to have enough leg room to be able to move your legs sufficiently. Sorry, I just recently had a blood clot (not related to flying) and had to learn about all this in order to be allowed by my doctors to fly again.

I *know* long flights are boring as heck, but getting a blood clot is NO FUN! I've had several wonderful conversations with the flight attendants during my hourly walks!

Sayhello

I am getting a new I-pod touch that I will fill with movies, TV shows, and games.
I will confess that i am dreading the fight. I am a nervous flyer

Recorded books. I forgot to mention those. I download them from audible.com
Also do you podcast?
I will download lots of those (if you don't know they are usually free) and listen to those on the flights.
If you are interested -I can tell you about some of my favorites

I might have some tips because we travel plenty!!

*last christmas a 21hr flight to thailand non stop!!!!

I usually measure in movies for the kids, so 21 hrs, you can watch 10 movies!

Its really nice to have the personal screens on the planes because they usually have great movies and games and even tv shows! I also bring my dvd players!
So I usually read and watch movies and play games. *I also play my son's gameboy :rotfl:

DH listens to his ipod and watches movies.

The kids, watch tons of movies, ipods, books, games, and we all sleep for a little.

Its not as bad as you think.... just bring movies that you have been wanting to see, but never got around to it ;)

I usually try to bring some crossword and Sudoku puzzles. Some aircraft have small tv screens on the back of the seat in front of you for movies, tv sitcoms and games too.

I've been dreading the flight too since I usually can't sleep on planes.
Thinking about getting a Nintendo Ds to help pass the time!

just wanted to add on the blod clot issue: it's a good idea to get the compression socks. They can be purchased at luggage stores or I got some good ones on christinecolumbus.com. And yes, definitely get up and walk around every hour.

maybe you can get some good old Irish movies to keep you busy? The Quiet Man is a great way to pass a couple of hours!

I just bring along my Ipod and borrow the kids DS. I can no longer watch any of the films being shown on the flights to and from China. Seeing Jumper four times in a row is just too much for one person to handle.

bring your own dvd player with movies of your choice! thats what we do. or if you have the personal screen then you have a great variety of selections

*last christmas a 21hr flight to thailand non stop!!!!!

WOW!! I did not know planes could fly that long non-stop. The ongest I have ever flown is 5 hours so never heard about or researched it. That must have been one big plane. Where did you depart from?

I have a PSP for flights that I will usually play a Madden football game or Tiger Woods golf game. If you go this route, bring a back up battery.

we flew thai air, from LAX.
crazy flight! but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.
I slept the whole way almost, but the kids watched movies, played games, took pictures, listened to ipods and played the gameboy ds.

(1) I agree with everyone else. Walk around. Which is why I always try to get a seat on the aisle, so I won't have to be stepping over somebody to get out.

(2) Eat. On my last flight to Europe, the flight was long enough, they served us two meals: dinner and breakfast.

(3) Read. I always try to pack away some new paperbacks I haven't read. Actually, sometimes I manage to pack away enough paperbacks, it looks like I'm carrying around a portable library.

(4) Work the puzzles: crosswords, fill-ins, Sudukou, etc.

(5) Listen to the on-board music. That's getting harder to do, as they usually play the latest songs, I find less and less I want to hear.

(6) Watch the in-board entertainment. Some airlines have better in-board entertainment than others.

(7) And try to sleep. The last is almost an impossibility for me, but sometimes I do catch a few winks.

Start trying to move your body clock into the destination time zone the week before you leave. That will help. Many flights to Europe land sometime in the morning - then to fight jet lag you are supposed to not sleep until that night! So without a nap on the plane, you'll be in trouble.

Normally with this schedule they serve dinner shortly after you take off - and breakfast shortly before you land. The in between time is your cue to nap. When you do wake up (and you probably won't sleep sound, even if you drug yourself) move around the plane a bit.

when you travel to the east....you should try to sleep...then when you arrive, dont sleep til it's normal "bed time"

travel to the west....try not to sleep...this is to avoid jet lag....

ie we are flying to china...sleep on the way there (arrive at 2 in afternoon and stay awake til normal bed time)...on the way home, dont sleep arrive back home 7pm---sleep after getting home

7hrs:rotfl2::rotfl2: That's nothing.
I haven't done the 21hr non stop trek already mentioned but 14hrs +5hrs each way is the norm for me to and from WDW...(from Sydney)

Watching the movies is the main thing I do. You don't necessarily have to get up and walk around all the time. I do flex and stretch in my regular economy seat. pull my legs up, stand up, etc. and just get out when I need to go to the toilet.

I also travel with my iphone (was ipod) and have disney music to listen to. Nice park loops, parades, and movie music are really relaxing. I generally only sleep a couple hours at most between meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter