What do you cook in your studio?

MichiganDVC

Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-co
I am piggybacking off of an earlier thread about what people cook in their villas. I am staying in a studio for about a week in July, split stay Kidani and BLT. This might be my longest stay without staying in a 1BR for at least part of the time. I am looking for some creative ideas for what to cook in the studio. So far I am thinking of making eggs in a coffee mug? I will not be stopping at a supermarket or getting a grocery service... We will be getting our "groceries" from the store at Kidani.

We plan to have most of our meals out, but especially with Kidani not having quick service, I would like to be able to make breakfast and am looking for some good ideas for maybe a dinner type snack or something along those lines.

What creative things have you guys done?

Not creative but I did microwave bacon and instant oatmeal....and some microwave Mexican meals.

Kidani doesn't have QS but Jambo House does. There is a shuttle that leaves from the front of Kidani about every 10 minutes taking guests to Jambo house and back. You can view the QS menu on Allears.net.

When I do breakfast in my studio, I usually buy frozen waffles, sausage links, and oatmeal from the resort store. All of this can be microwaved or put in the toaster. The Kidani store will have everything you would need for breakfast(cereal, milk, OJ, yogurt, bagels, poptarts, donuts, etc,) , snacks, and frozen meals for dinner. Here's the link to the grocery form so that you can see what they sell: http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc...groceryorder/GroceryOrderForm_DAKV_031413.pdf

We warm up day old cinnamon rolls in the microwave. Other than that, we don't use the kitchenette.

We're doing 9 days in a studio (but we're planning on a grocery service). We ordered lunch meat, milk, bread, cheese, and beer from the grocery service. We're packing a 27" suitcase of food (flying southwest) and here's our breakfat plans

Cereals
Toast (with cinnamon and sugar as well) or Peanut Butter toast
Pop Tarts
Milk and Fruit

Lunches:
Sandwiches

We keep a sandwich maker in our Owners Locker for studio stays. For breakfast we usually make omelets/toast, but sometimes pancakes or French toast. They now make Hungry Jack hash browns in a small container that you just add water to, and we plan on taking those next trip. We use it for lots of sandwich variations. My DH's favorite is sliced hot dogs with corn bread (I just throw a box of Jiffy brand in suitcase to ship) and cheese ...... Not the healthiest, but better than most on-site food. Have also made cake (again jiffy brand, as it is small) and you can throw tubed cinnamon rolls in there, too. We don't cook on it exclusively, but it definitely gives us a break from the overpriced homogenous food that has taken over the parks ...... Jiko excluded!

I once read the following on a thread years ago when a similar question was posed:

"I don't cook at home. Why would I cook on vacation?"

That question still rings in my head . . . . .

Since I do cook at home, daily, cooking small things on a sandwich maker is so simple that it takes less time than going out for something. In addition, as someone who has to watch what they eat, I can make my DH what he wants and skip eating or keep my choices simpler. It's a lot easier to control than going out all the time. We tried the QS dining plan once and thought we were going to pop by the time we got home. I am glad others enjoy it, but for us, the amount of food we threw out was obscene. For us, eating out is just an occasional thing ..... Even at home. I'll stick to my light meals/snacks in the studio.

I don't know if you would call this cooking or not, but we generally only do breakfast in a studio so it would be bagels, toast, etc. We also sometimes get JimmY Dean Breakfast sandwiches and microwave them. We do cereal too.

I once read the following on a thread years ago when a similar question was posed:

"I don't cook at home. Why would I cook on vacation?"

That question still rings in my head . . . . .

OP here.... this is the thing: We don't have kids and usually spend the evenings drinking. So, our mornings are less-than-productive. Sometimes I can get my act together enough to go down to CS and get some food, but usually we just make breakfast in the room (1BR). Since we're staying at Kidani and there's no CS there, I'm seeking out creative meals from the kitchenette in the studios.

So, it's not so much that we're trying to "cook" on vacation, we just might want to not have to trek around looking for food the whole time we're there...:)

We almost always do breakfast in the room, it's just more efficient, no matter what the room type. We don't cook much in the studios but do things like peanut butter bread, fresh fruit, cereal, Kefir, oatmeal, protein bars. Maybe once per trip we will do a sit down breakfast, but we prefer light and simple in the morning.

For breakfast? Egg McDVC sandwiches.

You'll need English Muffins, eggs, diced ham (available pre-diced at Publix in the meat section by the ham steaks) and shredded cheese if desired.

Crack an egg into a lightly buttered (or cooking sprayed) ceramic coffee mug or similar sized microwaveable container. (I have a set of the round ziplock version of tupperware containers that are actually perfect for this as the cooked egg is then the perfect fit for your english muffin.) If desired you can add a tablespoon of water for fluffier eggs or a milk for creamier eggs. Lightly beat your egg using a fork, add your ham and cheese and incorporate. Place in microwave and cook for about a minute and a half. While the egg is cooking, toast your english muffin. When the eggs are cooked, place on toasted english muffin et voila - a quick and delicious breakfast. For heartier appetites, you can use 2 eggs but I find one egg to be sufficient most of the time, especially if I supplement with fresh fruit like grapes, melon or a banana.

We usually stay in studios for longer stays on points. Here's what we make: microwave popcorn, iced coffee, cereal, oatmeal, leftovers, sandwiches

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter