what discounts do I miss when buying from dvc resale

I think the larger point, which your example suggests you're not considering (or dismissing), is that when people say that the minimum 75 point for benefits add-on is harder to justify, they mean buying direct at all just for the benefits is harder to make the math work than when it was 25 points. No one is suggesting buying a 150pt resale contract and then buying an additional 75 point resale contract is a good idea, they're saying wait until you find the right contract on resale and buy that 225pt contract you need (if that is indeed what you need). That math is much harder to argue than comparing two 150pt contracts with a 75 point add on direct vs. resale. Why would one decide to buy a 150 pt resale contract and then immediately buy a second small resale contract, especially given that small resale contracts rarely make sense over direct.

If you want to do a proper numbers comparison when addressing the point of what the cost difference is to buy direct solely for the benefits, it should be something along the lines of:

225 pt resale costs vs. 150pt resale + 75 point direct costs

Because both sets will buy you the same amount of nights. The difference you'll be looking at in that comparison is really the value you're assigning to the direct member benefits.

To be clear, I'm not assigning value to whether or not it's worth the direct cost difference. Personally, if I didn't have member benefits, I would probably get buy an additional 75 point contract so I can get one of those blue cards and not feel like I'm missing out on something. But I'll own that. It's the reason why I bought a 25 point contract when that was still an option.

But if you're going to make a break-even justification for the 75 point add-on contract, lean more on the convenience factor of buying direct, as there is no argument there. But the financial justifications on their own are a much tougher sell if you use a more accurate comparison.
This is a great point. In that scenario, where a new buyer is clear on the number of points they need, and really not determined to get perks, then buying all in one go with single closing and lower price per point, makes total sense and adjusts the math more in favour of resale.

Using your example I actually bought 210 points resale, they cost a total of $22631.

Looking at a 135 point contract on dvc resale, they seem to be going for about $110 per point with CY points. so thats about $16150 with closing etc. Direct cost me $11.5k for 75 points, so a total of $27650, a difference of $5k compared with resale only.

My example is when the buyer is on the fence, like the OP, and buys a first contract to see how DVC feels, with a view to adding on at a later date either via resale or direct. The other scenario is where the buyer can't afford or justify a larger initial outlay even though they might need/want more points, so are looking to add on later. After all the advice is often buy resale first, add on direct, so this kind of comparison is used frequently and valid I think, but yes the math varies depending on personal circumstances.

Last edited:
Some of what might factor in might even depend what resort people are looking at and the difference in points.
I agree it's definitely not one sizes fits all. If you want to buy 50-100 points at AUL for example, because of the need for 11 month home advantage, then the math is very different direct when compared with a non or even subs AUL contract. However, that is the extreme and I wanted to highlight that the reality for most resorts, including the 'value' DVC, is actually very different.

Last edited:
I think they are being vague as the discounts can change year on year, and as this is the 'master' document, including all the discounts here would require a change to this document as well. The discounts and membership extras are listed in numerous places including here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/languagespecific/eng/member/justformembers/perks/MM_2018 Perks list_WDW_Jan_R8.pdf

I think it's clear what the rules are, especially as the White Card lists the benefits. Of course that doesn't mean specific Disney employees might not differentiate between a blue and white (paper printed) card when the member is buying in a shop or restaurant, but I wouldn't have an expectation to get the discount, it would be a bonus.

TiW is an interesting case - I wonder if when you call, they don't have capability to validate membership types? I've heard of some that when they have called and said they are resale members, they are rejected, but then call back and just ask for the card as a DVC member (like I did) and they get it.

I don't think you should avoid going direct for perks, if that is one's inclination, on the expectation that you will get the same discounts as a blue card holder.
Note that your link lists “Membership Extras and additional details.” It lists pool hopping and TOTWL. It’s impossible to tell which items on that list are actually restricted.

TiW is not technically available by phone for DVC members. That’s spelled out on the website, though some people have claimed they’ve ordered by phone. That rule has been in place longer than the restrictions, so it’s clearly not based on their ability to tell the membership types apart.

Generally speaking, the only confirmed perk of significant value is the AP discount. That makes the math pretty easy to compare between resale and direct.

I’ve never seen a confirmation on this one. On the contrary, ive seen resale members able to purchase the TiW card.
I have had to show my DVC blue card (direct purchase), and license when using my TIW card more times than not....

I have never been able to purchase TIW by phone, and if I am thinking correctly only DVC direct can purchase the Gold Annual Pass.

I have both kinds of contracts...just covering my bases!

It seems the resale point costs are really high right now with all of the upcoming additions to the parks, comparing the resale vs direct costs is becoming something more to think about, not the "no-brainer" as it was before. I use TIW and gold annual passes for our family-the parties and free parking have not really applied to us, so that is not a reason to buy direct for me.

On the member website, under My DVC Membership, Important Membership Documents, there is a link to downloadable PDF called Membership Extras. It describes benefits and indicates that these perks can change. It is too long to post here. It does not mention what non member owners can do. It does mention about buying 75 points direct to qualify for membership in 2018. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/hidden-pages/MEADS_02_25_18_Clean.pdf

Just a quick run down of what perks I took advantage of during a 4 day trip.
1. Platinum Plus Passes for the prices of Gold. A rare treat, but even buying just Gold passes is a great perk. $800 savings for 4 people, and we will milk those passes over 4 trips throughout the year.
2. 20% off merchandise. Saved us about $30, but probably drove us to buy a few more items than I typically would.
3. 10% off sit down dining. We would have eaten at those places anyway, so the savings was just a nice bonus. Saved us around $30
4. The Epcot Lounge. It didn't impress me much, but it was busy, so I'm sure many love it.
5. A little purple light that flashes when I scan into parks. Not sure if resale also gets that, or if it is unique to direct.

I know all of those benefits can go away at any time, and that the AP one I got is already gone. I just thought it was worthwhile to share the discounts "in action". Definitely worth the cost of 25 points, but mileage will vary at 75 points. As was mentioned above, the gap between direct and resale is tightening so it probably is worth it to get those direct points for more people than it was back in Febrary when the change was announced.

We are travelling as a party of 7 - 4 adults and 3 children for 14 nights.

I estimate we will eat at 8 CS (4 at 10% discount), and 10 Table Service (all 20% discount). We will eat 4 appetisers, 3 desserts and 7 entrees per TS meal, plus 8-12 alcoholic beverages. That comes in at around $6k across the entire party - with TiW and DVC discount that's a $1k saving on the TS, and $100 on the CS. Not to be sniffed at.

The EPCOT lounge is an interesting benefit for direct purchasers only. It's a really nice place to take a break, if only for a nice place to charge your phones (need your cords). Is it so nice it's worth spending considerably more to buy directly from Disney? Probably not.

The AP Discount is the biggest discount you lose. That $100 or so per AP, $400 for a family of four in a year, it would still take some considerable time to get your money back.

As the other posters state, you can get the other discounts, or close to them, with the Chase Disney card, AP's, etc. I really couldn't see buying direct for basically the AP Discount and the EPCOT lounge. They just aren't worth it. That's just me.
You can get the cords to charge your phones or iPads at the desk in the Epcot Lounge. You do not need to have cords, you sign them out.

Quick add-on question to that. Are the Moonlight Magic events worthwhile? I have been studying up on them to see if it is worth trying to plan a trip around one last summer. The best I can tell is that they have been around in some form or another since at least 2015 during the summer at Typhoon Lagoon and was wondering how "cool" it was if you ever went to one.
We have been to two Typhoon Lagoon Events and 1 Epcot and 1 AK. We enjoyed the TL events the most, but stayed for the fireworks at Epcot and they were very nice. It poured cats and dogs for our AK event, we enjoyed the Safari at night, that was before AK was generally opened at night, before Pandora.
We have booked trips because of Moonlight Magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter