what discounts do I miss when buying from dvc resale

A card has always been necessary for TOTWL. And the temporary card available online should be sufficient. Resale members should be able to the digital card for most discounts.

I was under the impression that resale members are not eligable for any discounts, which is why they ask for the card. The accounts I have read of resale members getting discounts have been of people who were given blue cards on accident.

I was under the impression that resale members are not eligable for any discounts, which is why they ask for the card. The accounts I have read of resale members getting discounts have been of people who were given blue cards on accident.
Disney’s rules are both intentionally vague and incredibly specific. Resale members don’t get “Membership Magic” benefits. That’s the specific part. It’s the only thing resale members don’t get. But the vague part is what all that entails. The list of “Membership Magic” benefits includes “certain discounts.” Nowhere are certain discounts enumerated.

So, all is members and potential members sit around and spread their FUD campaign for them (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). It’s the FUD that helps them sell direct, not the benefits.

In any event, my interpretation is that continuously running discounts are available to all members. Only the short-term, special event discounts are restricted.

Disney’s rules are both intentionally vague and incredibly specific. Resale members don’t get “Membership Magic” benefits. That’s the specific part. It’s the only thing resale members don’t get. But the vague part is what all that entails. The list of “Membership Magic” benefits includes “certain discounts.” Nowhere are certain discounts enumerated.

So, all is members and potential members sit around and spread their FUD campaign for them (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). It’s the FUD that helps them sell direct, not the benefits.

In any event, my interpretation is that continuously running discounts are available to all members. Only the short-term, special event discounts are restricted.

That's actually very interesting. At first I thought "why would they do that? It doesn't help them at all." Then I thought a little more and realized most of those discounts are 10%, enough to push people to buy maybe a little more, but not so much that it will cost Disney too much to sell it. I wonder if that's their thinking, that it actually helps dining and merchandise sales, or if it is just an oversight on their part. It seems to me that all vague language is meant to benefit the one writing the contract, though.

We will likely purchase 75 points direct at one of the upcoming resorts. As a family of 6, utilising the "one AP over two years" technique, we'd break even after 2 sets of APs. We're not in a hurry to do it because I don't think the 75 point minimum will increase. If Disney wants to keep pushing per point costs high, the minimum buy in has to stay low for the product to stay attractive to the masses.

The EPCOT lounge is an interesting benefit for direct purchasers only. It's a really nice place to take a break, if only for a nice place to charge your phones (need your cords). Is it so nice it's worth spending considerably more to buy directly from Disney? Probably not.

The AP Discount is the biggest discount you lose. That $100 or so per AP, $400 for a family of four in a year, it would still take some considerable time to get your money back.

As the other posters state, you can get the other discounts, or close to them, with the Chase Disney card, AP's, etc. I really couldn't see buying direct for basically the AP Discount and the EPCOT lounge. They just aren't worth it. That's just me.

The EPCOT lounge is an interesting benefit for direct purchasers only. It's a really nice place to take a break, if only for a nice place to charge your phones (need your cords). Is it so nice it's worth spending considerably more to buy directly from Disney? Probably not.

The AP Discount is the biggest discount you lose. That $100 or so per AP, $400 for a family of four in a year, it would still take some considerable time to get your money back.

As the other posters state, you can get the other discounts, or close to them, with the Chase Disney card, AP's, etc. I really couldn't see buying direct for basically the AP Discount and the EPCOT lounge. They just aren't worth it. That's just me.

Quick add-on question to that. Are the Moonlight Magic events worthwhile? I have been studying up on them to see if it is worth trying to plan a trip around one last summer. The best I can tell is that they have been around in some form or another since at least 2015 during the summer at Typhoon Lagoon and was wondering how "cool" it was if you ever went to one.

I haven't went to one yet, so I have no idea. I will say most of the parties I've been to have been a mixed bag. Some parts are really cool, some aren't. The time during the moonlight magic parties are probably pretty good. I'd be really interested in seeing how the crowd levels on those days go up or down due to the party. I know the X-mas and Halloween parties have good crowds early in the day but starts to fill up significantly once the party goers can start arriving.

I'm thinking the parties would probably be pretty cool, but if you did one a year, with a party of 4, you'd be saving around $320 a year vs the ticket prices for the other parties. That's a pretty good discount if you can make it work with your travel plans.

It's considerably more than that, actually, unless you need platinum to get admission for Xmas/NYE or Easter/spring break. It's a difference of $260+tax per new pass or $221+tax on renewals.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/ticket-tour/walt-disney-world-pass/

Quick add-on question to that. Are the Moonlight Magic events worthwhile? I have been studying up on them to see if it is worth trying to plan a trip around one last summer. The best I can tell is that they have been around in some form or another since at least 2015 during the summer at Typhoon Lagoon and was wondering how "cool" it was if you ever went to one.
I have heard mixed reviews. Some people say they are understaffed and overcrowded, and the food is not good. I have heard some people say they enjoyed it.

Also, the Moonlight Magic Events could disappear at anytime, so I wouldn't count them as a permanent perk, but none of the perks are guaranteed.

The perks are good enough that my wife and I have decided our first 75 points will be direct (though likely someplace less than $182pp such as OKW). Our family of 5 would make up the difference pretty quickly with APs, and Moonlight Magic looks pretty fun to me.

The perks are good enough that my wife and I have decided our first 75 points will be direct (though likely someplace less than $182pp such as OKW). Our family of 5 would make up the difference pretty quickly with APs, and Moonlight Magic looks pretty fun to me.

If you want more than 75 points, just keep in mind that it's almost always better to buy resale FIRST, then add-on direct. Otherwise your resale options will be more limited with regard to matching the use year.

It's considerably more than that, actually, unless you need platinum to get admission for Xmas/NYE or Easter/spring break. It's a difference of $260+tax per new pass or $221+tax on renewals.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/ticket-tour/walt-disney-world-pass/
I assume you're comparing Gold DVC pass to Platinum non discounted. This would be the max discount but would only apply to a smaller portion. Specifically those that would buy the Platinum pass but the Gold would work as well and who do not have other discounts available. My opinion is the savings needs to justify the purchase in just 3-4 years because it's not a guaranteed program. Even then one needs to consider the lost opportunity costs/TVM on the difference. Obviously there are other reasons to buy retail though a lot more excuses to do so.

If you want more than 75 points, just keep in mind that it's almost always better to buy resale FIRST, then add-on direct. Otherwise your resale options will be more limited with regard to matching the use year.
It's certainly easier to fit it together this way. Obviously it depends on specifics. Often it's best to buy resale first then wait and see how it goes. Even better in many cases is buy slightly larger resale and then reconsider whether retail is really worth it or not, esp for those newer to DVC.

Really now with the minimum purchase to get perks being 75 points it doesn't make much sense to buy only for the perks. Here is a rough example-- If you bought a resort that was selling resale for $100 per point, but DVC direct is $182pp then you are now paying ~$6000 more-- It would take many years for you to recoup your purchase in the form of discounts. If the savings on an AP was say $200 per ticket -for a couple it would take 15 years to reach your break even point for premium you paid for those perks. So that resale savings would look much better in your bank account than in DVC's.
I'm not sure this is a great example. Having looked at direct vs resale very recently, and having bought the bulk of our points resale, getting 75 points top-up on resale is really hard.

Matching the UY is hard. When you do find one it has to get past ROFR and then weeks to months for closing.

Which resort can you get a 75 point contract, that costs $182 direct but only $100 on resale??? Non-sub AUL maybe but that's an extreme. If you are going to top-up and want perks, it probably makes sense to get an extended OKW or SSR for $151, which is about $11.5k inc closing. Finding an extended OKW resale with the same UY and around 75 points is really difficult, but say we get an SSR for $115 with current year points (about the going rate), that's about $9k inc closing. That reduces your projected resale saving from 6k to a more realistic $2.5k. Another example is BLT - they are going for around $160-170 stripped on DVC resale market for small contracts, and $191 direct. That's only $26 per point difference with higher closing on resale.

The AP savings, plus TiW and DVC general discount will soon eat into that, and not everyone (non-US citizens) can get discount cards and Disney VISA, so the savings with direct membership are tangible. The special events and the fact that you can pay for direct by credit card, are just the icing on the cake.

I reckon, by being direct members, we will save over $1k on our next single trip alone, and we wont even be buying AP's this time.

Our direct points were in our account within 24 hours, and we haven't even been billed yet. After having contracts taken at RoFR, slow sellers and confused title companies, the direct purchase was like a breath of fresh air. Still glad we got the bulk resale mind ;)

Oh, and I know there is a waitlist for most resorts currently. We were quoted 4-6 weeks initially. I read on here about mentioning that we were considering resale, which I did, and then the points were in our account within 4 hours! Thanks DIS :)

Last edited:

Is this correct? As a new member the white digital membership card was very specific and clearly stated TOTWL and one or two other benefits on it, I think one was Pool Hopping. It didn't mention anything about discounts. I have since added on and now have a blue card so can't double check.

I know you can sometimes phone and order the TiW card (i did it, before getting the blue card), though I doubt they would provide it to a white card holder in person at Guest Services? Same for other DVC merch and dining discounts? Unless you know for a fact that this is currently happening routinely, then that is a different matter altogether.

I'm not sure this is a great example. Having looked at direct vs resale very recently, and having bought the bulk of our points resale, getting 75 points top-up on resale is really hard.

Matching the UY is hard. When you do find one it has to get past ROFR and then weeks to months for closing.

Which resort can you get a 75 point contract, that costs $182 direct but only $100 on resale??? Non-sub AUL maybe but that's an extreme. If you are going to top-up and want perks, it probably makes sense to get an extended OKW or SSR for $151, which is about $11.5k inc closing. Finding an extended OKW resale with the same UY and around 75 points is really difficult, but say we get an SSR for $115 with current year points (about the going rate), that's about $9k inc closing. That reduces your projected resale saving from 6k to a more realistic $2.5k. Another example is BLT - they are going for around $160-170 stripped on DVC resale market for small contracts, and $191 direct. That's only $26 per point difference with higher closing on resale.

The AP savings, plus TiW and DVC general discount will soon eat into that, and not everyone (non-US citizens) can get discount cards and Disney VISA, so the savings with direct membership are tangible. The special events and the fact that you can pay for direct by credit card, are just the icing on the cake.

I reckon, by being direct members, we will save over $1k on our next single trip alone, and we wont even be buying AP's this time.

Our direct points were in our account within 24 hours, and we haven't even been billed yet. After having contracts taken at RoFR, slow sellers and confused title companies, the direct purchase was like a breath of fresh air. Still glad we got the bulk resale mind ;)

Oh, and I know there is a waitlist for most resorts currently. We were quoted 4-6 weeks initially. I read on here about mentioning that we were considering resale, which I did, and then the points were in our account within 4 hours! Thanks DIS :)
That's why the best situation is to map out all of the issues up front and make big picture decisions before implementing specific choices. The potential savings with the passes are only tangible in the short term because it's not a guaranteed benefit and not only might it change, it almost certainly will at some point. The additional costs of buying the 75 or more points retail is also tangible. My view is you need to break even in 3 to a max of 4 years with the passes looking at the additional costs to make it reasonable. Remember it's not just the additional cost of the retail points but also any additional costs on closing and a potentially higher cost per point for any resale portion. It's not much different than the suggestion to buy multiple smaller contracts, it adds aggravation and cost and rarely any real benefit.

I think the larger point, which your example suggests you're not considering (or dismissing), is that when people say that the minimum 75 point for benefits add-on is harder to justify, they mean buying direct at all just for the benefits is harder to make the math work than when it was 25 points. No one is suggesting buying a 150pt resale contract and then buying an additional 75 point resale contract is a good idea, they're saying wait until you find the right contract on resale and buy that 225pt contract you need (if that is indeed what you need). That math is much harder to argue than comparing two 150pt contracts with a 75 point add on direct vs. resale. Why would one decide to buy a 150 pt resale contract and then immediately buy a second small resale contract, especially given that small resale contracts rarely make sense over direct.

If you want to do a proper numbers comparison when addressing the point of what the cost difference is to buy direct solely for the benefits, it should be something along the lines of:

225 pt resale costs vs. 150pt resale + 75 point direct costs

Because both sets will buy you the same amount of nights. The difference you'll be looking at in that comparison is really the value you're assigning to the direct member benefits.

To be clear, I'm not assigning value to whether or not it's worth the direct cost difference. Personally, if I didn't have member benefits, I would probably get buy an additional 75 point contract so I can get one of those blue cards and not feel like I'm missing out on something. But I'll own that. It's the reason why I bought a 25 point contract when that was still an option.

But if you're going to make a break-even justification for the 75 point add-on contract, lean more on the convenience factor of buying direct, as there is no argument there. But the financial justifications on their own are a much tougher sell if you use a more accurate comparison.

There is certainly an argument for the side convenience of buying direct -- many people prefer to pay more to make things easier. It just really boils down to what someone can afford. In my example -- the $6000 more direct could mean buying DVC or nothing at all.

I personally want to find a some what smaller Poly contract - so do i pay $220 per point for convenience and ease or spend time and find something for $150 per point?

Some of what might factor in might even depend what resort people are looking at and the difference in points.

Is this correct? As a new member the white digital membership card was very specific and clearly stated TOTWL and one or two other benefits on it, I think one was Pool Hopping. It didn't mention anything about discounts. I have since added on and now have a blue card so can't double check.

I know you can sometimes phone and order the TiW card (i did it, before getting the blue card), though I doubt they would provide it to a white card holder in person at Guest Services? Same for other DVC merch and dining discounts? Unless you know for a fact that this is currently happening routinely, then that is a different matter altogether.
Here’s the official document: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/hidden-pages/MEADS_02_25_18_Clean.pdf

Notice how the first paragraphs specifically restrict “Membership Extras,” but none of the benefits listed on the second page reference that terminology. It’s intentionally vague (maybe even misleading) and only adds to the fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The TIW program is not listed at all. We routinely see reports of post-4/4/16 resale members receiving dining and merchandise discounts.

Here’s the official document: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/hidden-pages/MEADS_02_25_18_Clean.pdf

Notice how the first paragraphs specifically restrict “Membership Extras,” but none of the benefits listed on the second page reference that terminology. It’s intentionally vague (maybe even misleading) and only adds to the fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

The TIW program is not listed at all. We routinely see reports of post-4/4/16 resale members receiving dining and merchandise discounts.
I think they are being vague as the discounts can change year on year, and as this is the 'master' document, including all the discounts here would require a change to this document as well. The discounts and membership extras are listed in numerous places including here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...mbers/perks/MM_2018 Perks list_WDW_Jan_R8.pdf

I think it's clear what the rules are, especially as the White Card lists the benefits. Of course that doesn't mean specific Disney employees might not differentiate between a blue and white (paper printed) card when the member is buying in a shop or restaurant, but I wouldn't have an expectation to get the discount, it would be a bonus.

TiW is an interesting case - I wonder if when you call, they don't have capability to validate membership types? I've heard of some that when they have called and said they are resale members, they are rejected, but then call back and just ask for the card as a DVC member (like I did) and they get it.

I don't think you should avoid going direct for perks, if that is one's inclination, on the expectation that you will get the same discounts as a blue card holder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!