what did I do wrong? Cooking disaster

Disney845

I miss my custom tags
I was making spaghetti for dinner tonight and thought it would be nice to make meatballs for my SO. I don't realy like them and have never made them before. I followed the recipe which said to put 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet and put the balls in, turning to brown them on all sides. When I went to turn them they fell apart in the skillet and now it looks more like crumbled meat than meatballs. What did I do wrong? What is the proper technique for turning meatballs?

What were they made out of? I make mine with 1 lb beef, 1 cup Italian bread crumbs, almost a cup of grated Romano cheese, and usually 2(sometimes 1) eggs. They stick together very well. Did you use eggs? Im asking because I think that is what makes them stick.
As for turning them, I usually just push them with either a fork or spatula.
Better luck next time. :D

It's easiest to bake them. It takes less work, since you just pop them in the oven and turn them once, and they're a little less likely to fall apart. You also need to make sure that your meatballs are sticky enough. Sometimes you'll follow the recipe exactly, but it just won't feel right. You can add milk or egg if you need more liquid or breadcrumbs if it's too wet.

The eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs will hold them together. Sometimes if I cook them on too high a heat they crumble a little.

raw meatballs should be sticky
I don't think you had them mushy enough
did you use eggs????
sounds like they were to dry???

yer need a "binder" fer meatballs...be it eggs / bread crumbs with sum milk or sumptthing...:)

yup, I used egg as the recipe called for. Egg, worchestire sauce, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and the meat. I mixed it well, and molded them into little balls. Oh well cooking is just not for some of us, and I am one of us! I asked SO if he wanted me to add the meat to the sauce or put it on top of his spaghettie and he said why don't you taste it first to see how they are. Well I do not like meatballs much so figured he wa a better judge. He vetoed them anyways. Now they are sitting on a hot pad waiting to cool enough to put into the garbage. Oh well....another cooking mishap for me, did I mention I don't like cooking? Thanks so much for the replies, I am sure you all make great meatballs. My SO's mother and grandmother make the yummiest meatballs, not spaghetti meatballs, but ones in a sauce like hor d'uvrs (sp?). Ah.....we can all dream a little can't we?

Since I'm not the best cook in the world, I buy the frozen ones. My kids love them.

What did you do wrong? You didn't make SO cook them! ;) DH does all the cooking here, after our little "polenta" incident. We are both better fed and happier. :D

Hi.

DH makes awesome meatballs. He saw a recipe several years ago and here is what he does:

Bring a big pot of water to a boil

Add some olive oil and a little salt

Put raw meatballs in the boiling water for about 10 minutes.

Take out and drain on paper towels.

Add the meatballs you want to use in the sauce and freeze the rest in a plastic zip lock freezer bag to use a future date.

They are tender, boiling brings out the grease of the meat.

Hope this helps.

:D

and then make the balls with breadcrumbs and one egg.....and then drop them carefully into sauce that is simmering....do not move them at first ..and in a few minutes....carefully move them around....they stick together fine and take on the taste of the sauce

Mine fall apart unless I let them get really brown before I try to turn them. Mine also are never round more like a little square!:o

I just put in onion, greenpepper, and spices roll in ball put on a cooking rack that is on a baking sheet ( I don't like all the grease), bake til they look done. I never have any problem with them. Did you let the meat thaw in the refrig? If you thaw it in the microwave it doesn't seem to stick together.

I usually put them in a skillet with vegetable oil and brown them (yep, the first time I did this a couple did fall apart), then into a baking dish to finish (can also add sauce then). I've done it by putting them in a baking dish to begin with, but I like the crispier outer coating by browning them first. :)

I'm with Kermit and amid, Bake them.
Besides the onion, eggs and spices, my mom used to always soak a piece of bread or two in milk and add to the meat when mixing. I still love them that way, they are so moist.

Drop them in your sauce and cook them on low for 8 hours. Or in the sauce in a crockpot.

I'm with bumcat and clutter. I buy the frozen ones at Sam's and we all love them. ;)

My kids make sub sandwiches out of the frozen ones. They use hot dog buns, spag sauce and mozz. cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter