What compensation would you expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very similar situation just happened to me at a very nice hotel. Husband still asleep. I was just finishing getting dressed so was standing at the full mirror by the door. Housekeeping manager walked right in. We scared the heck out of each other! Both laughed, apologized and went about our day. We did both make sure to check that our room was marked as still occupied. Her morning read out showed it vacated. Ended up being a computer glitch.

Timing was about what yours was - about 30 minutes before check out time. I had taken off the DND when I came back from breakfast because I planned to head back out.

It never occured to me to ask for any compensation. It was a simple mistake.

I wouldn’t expect any compensation.

Nor would I. Accidents happen, and you have admitted that you didn’t put up the DND or engage the secondary lock, so you need to own your part of the mistake.

Besides, how much was the room? If it was $100, that’s 10% off and you had already used it for the night and eaten the breakfast.

We’re you not sleeping, but rather...engaged in other bed-focused activities? Is that why it was such a surprise and source of embarrassment? Better strangers than your family, I’d say!

I wouldn't expect any compensation.
I wouldn't even go as far as saying they made a mistake- you did by not putting the do not disturb sign out.
They could have knocked- you were asleep so you don't know. Besides, it was after 10 AM, anyone who has stayed in a hotel before knows housekeeping is well in to their rounds by then.

No compensation for me either, especially as you failed to do anything to indicate you were in the room. I've been surprised by enough housekeepers - and my sister was a housekeeper for a while and surprised enough guests - to know that sometimes it just happens. It's an accident.

If you didn’t have the deadbolt lock in place that’s your mistake. And at 10:15 a.m. they might have thought you had checked out, especially if they knocked and you didn’t answer. Mistakes happen. It’s sad some people think they deserve some sort of competition for every little thing. Wouldn’t have happened if you had the deadbolt lock engaged.

I think if it had been in the middle of the night and someone burst in I could understand wanting something—I would have been terrified for at least a few seconds. But in a hotel at 10:15 AM with the deadbolt not on and a DND sign not on the door? Not surprised at all that housekeeping came in. We were just away for a volleyball tournament. Younger DD was the one playing but middle DD made the trip. Middle DD didn’t want to do the early mornings so we left her in bed and retrieved her later. I told her to keep the deadbolt on and the DND on the door or someone was likely to come in from housekeeping. She followed instructions and had no problems.

from a hotel if two male housekeepers burst into your room unannounced while you were in bed? The owner of the Best Western in Corbin KY took $10 off our tab last week. I'm telling him that is not nearly enough and he is not responding.

Well what kind of compensation do you think you deserve? Frankly, you didn't use the DND, didn't throw the lock and it was well into the time that housekeeping is doing their rounds. If you were sleeping, you may not have heard them knock and so they had no reason not to enter the room. In my opinion, a quick apology was all that was required.

No compensation due, just an I’m so sorry.

Given the circumstances (time of day, interior door lock not engaged) that is all I'd expect as well.
Maybe it's me, but this seems to be a bit of a case of making a mountain out of a molehill-

Assuming they apologized and ducked back out of the room, I'd generally agree with most - not expecting any compensation.

It was 10:15 am. I had looked for a DND sign to hang on the door but turned out it was a magnet the same color as the door and I didn't see it. I had gotten up early to get breakfast before the 9 am end. The door had an odd flip lock that I couldn't figure out in my grogginess. My Wife said "Just come back back to bed, nobody's going to come busting in" and then they did!

Then that to me would seem like it was your error. And maybe they knocked and announced themselves, but you didn't hear because you were sleeping?

I honestly wouldn't expect anything, though I might tell them they need to make the DND sign more obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter