What color front door?

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Our house is white and we have black shutters. Right now our front door is a boring white. I want a change. Any ideas on something to make it pop? Any pics of your front door?

I have ALWAYS wanted a red front door, but I'm not sure. I'm hesitant to go so bold, but I really want a change!

Mine is razzberry!! But, a new door is going to happen soon, and it will probably be deep red.

You could paint it any color of the rainbow with that neutral base. The trend here for front doors is yellow, teal, orange, anything goes really.

Our house is light gray with burgandy shutters. The door was white until last year when I painted it black. If we had black shutters I would choose something else to make it pop.

Our house is white and we have black shutters. Right now our front door is a boring white. I want a change. Any ideas on something to make it pop? Any pics of your front door?

I have ALWAYS wanted a red front door, but I'm not sure. I'm hesitant to go so bold, but I really want a change!

My first thought was red. Very traditional and classy, IMO. In several cultures, it represents good luck, warmth and welcoming. My second choice would be a hunter green.

never seen a red door around here......ours and all our neighbors are wood and just stained and sealed

We have approved colors we have to work with (there's a decent list for trim colors though). Presently ours matches our shutters (they aren't working ones just decorative) and it's called pavestone.

My husband would like to change our front door to something less neutral so we'll probably change that eventually and at that point it won't match the shutters anymore because neither one of us wants to deal with getting those off and reinstalled. I don't really want red because that's a common color to do. Neither one of us likes yellow which is also a common one.

I think you'd have to figure out in what way to you want the front door to pop. Do you want just a color choice that works with the others but stands out? Do you want a color that is bright in shade/hue, etc

Are screen doors not a normal thing for everyone? Around here, most people have screen doors before the house door. I guess you could still have a colourful door, but I would think it would lose the pop factor.

never seen a red door around here......ours and all our neighbors are wood and just stained and sealed

We had a beautiful wood door at our previous house that we refinished because the sun had given it a pounding over many decades. Once we sanded and resealed it it was spectacular. It was one of my favorite things about that house. The only thing I didn't like is it wasn't possible to hang a wreath because we didn't want to put a hole in the wood. Although the door really was so beautiful once refinished that nearly everyone that stopped by commented on it.

Our house is light gray (almost white) with black shutters and a deep red front door. I don't even consider a red front door bold. :). I'm considering painting it egg plant!

I would go with the red!!!!

BUT, it can be so hard to choose the right shade.
Get small cans, so if you don't get the right one at first.
Go 'deep', not 'bright'... and avoid any orange cast.
Oil based paint will be more shiny/glossy... go flat, or semi-gloss.
The flat might actually have a shiny enough finish.

And, you have to go with a very good (Behr) oil base paint. Not latex. Not even the 'better' latex.

Just for me.. not liking the blues.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/91268329935746688

Last edited:
Are screen doors not a normal thing for everyone? Around here, most people have screen doors before the house door. I guess you could still have a colourful door, but I would think it would lose the pop factor.

Definitely not a thing everywhere. No one (I mean NO ONE) in my area has a screen door on the front door. I live in Southern CA, in a fairly large city.

We do have a screen door. That's why I was thinking red, for it to stand out a little more. The white with black shutters just seems so boring to me. And our front porch is on the smaller side so I can't put a lot of decoration out there.

Storm doors are common on the front door (we don't have one presently though).

Screened doors would be more common for the back door (leading to the backyard) if they had a screened door.

That said I've seen screened doors for front but the ones I've seen have been like country-style old homes.

I see a black door and I want it painted red.

Ours are burgundy.

Definitely not a thing everywhere. No one (I mean NO ONE) in my area has a screen door on the front door. I live in Southern CA, in a fairly large city.

I guess I always just assumed screen doors were pretty standard. To me, a house with just a solid door (with glass or without) looks unfinished.

Our is a dark teal which I love. I say go for the red, you can always repaint!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter