What color front door?

I would go with the red!!!!

BUT, it can be so hard to choose the right shade.
Get small cans, so if you don't get the right one at first.
And, you have to go with a very good (Behr) oil base paint. Not latex. Not even the 'better' latex.

Just for me.. not liking the blues.

IMO blue is a tricky one to get right. There's a house in the next city over from us that went to robin's egg blue and matching awnings. It's really beautiful on that particular house. I tried some blues for ours but it was all wrong.

Storm doors are common on the front door (we don't have one presently though).

Screened doors would be more common for the back door (leading to the backyard) if they had a screened door.

That said I've seen screened doors for front but the ones I've seen have been like country-style old homes.

Is a storm door the solid door? Everyone has one of those behind the screen door. So, our front door has two doors.

Storm doors are common on the front door (we don't have one presently though).

Screened doors would be more common for the back door (leading to the backyard) if they had a screened door.

That said I've seen screened doors for front but the ones I've seen have been like country-style old homes.
That's what we have, a storm door. It's all glass.
This is what ours looks like (this is not my door lol)
hurrhurrhurr.jpg.jpg

I guess I always just assumed screen doors were pretty standard. To me, a house with just a solid door (with glass or without) looks unfinished.

It's a regional thing for sure. We had a screen door in VA and when I lived in NJ and upstate NY. However, I always thought they made a door look tacky. I think they are generally not as nice as the actual doors. Our door has a pattern carved into it (a grid of 8 raised squares) and a decorative wrought iron handle, and it looks very nice from the outside. Also, having a screen door makes it look strange (if it is even possible) when you want to hang something on the door, like a wreath. We could not find a wreath narrow enough to fit when we lived in VA and had a screen door.

Do you really want and need that screen door?
I would also consider removing that, or replacing with a glass door.
Note, I have heard that you can put glass doors over some doors, as the heat generated there, if there is any sun in the summer, can actually affect the door in a bad way.

It's a regional thing for sure. We had a screen door in VA and when I lived in NJ and upstate NY. However, I always thought they made a door look tacky. I think they are generally not as nice as the actual doors. Our door has a pattern carved into it (a grid of 8 raised squares) and a decorative wrought iron handle, and it looks very nice from the outside. Also, having a screen door makes it look strange (if it is even possible) when you want to hang something on the door, like a wreath. We could not find a wreath narrow enough to fit when we lived in VA and had a screen door.

They can definitely look bad if they are old and rickety or has a torn screen lol

I guess I always just assumed screen doors were pretty standard. To me, a house with just a solid door (with glass or without) looks unfinished.

Is a storm door the solid door? Everyone has one of those behind the screen door. So, our front door has two doors.

A storm door is glass. You would see a lot of them in the south where it storms hard quite a bit and it's really too hot and humid for a screen door most of the summer.

No the storm door is normally glass surrounded by a frame that goes in front of your front door.

It's there to generally protect the front door from the elements and give a buffer so to speak.

Here's an example from the Home Depot website:
upload_2019-1-9_9-26-0.png

The storm door would be the glass item you see framed in black. Then the front door, pictured here in white, is behind it.

There are def. options for a screen in those cases I just don't see that in lieu of the glass. I do see the screens for the backyards just not really for the front door.

A storm door is glass. You would see a lot of them in the south where it storms hard quite a bit and it's really too hot and humid for a screen door most of the summer.
Exactly! We are in the south and it is way too bad in the summers for a screen door. Although I miss it. I grew up having a screen door and windows open in the spring. I could never do that here.

That's what we have, a storm door. It's all glass.
This is what ours looks like (this is not my door lol)
hurrhurrhurr.jpg.jpg
Yup that's what I was thinking when talking about storm doors. My mom has one on her house but we presently do not. I do see a good mixture in my own neighborhood of storm doors and no storm doors.

IMO blue is a tricky one to get right. There's a house in the next city over from us that went to robin's egg blue and matching awnings. It's really beautiful on that particular house. I tried some blues for ours but it was all wrong.
I love blues but it can be difficult to get it right IMO.

Our house color is technically called Granite Peak. It's on the grey scale but does pretty much look blue. As much as I like blues I'd have to find just the right shade so it wouldn't look off.

There's a neighbor that has blue base, blue trim & garage doors and then a blue-teal front door. That blue-teal front door really doesn't look good because of the rest of the house colors. You could tell they were going for a blue theme but it just didn't work quite right.

Most around here have a combination storm/screen door. I have basically the same one that smilie and Mackenzie posted above. In the spring/summer, we remove the glass panel and replace it with a screen panel. So you can open your front door (and windows) and let air flow through the house but keep out bugs. (We don’t have central air and only use the AC when it’s very hot and humid.)

The glass keeps in the heat when it’s cold and keeps out rain and snow. With the full panel style, you still see the regular front door. Also common is a half panel style, where the lower half is a solid metal panel and only the upper half is glass or screen. The only homes here without storm doors usually have a covered porch or portico to protect the door from the elements.

Last edited:
We don't have storm doors either......a lot of people do have security doors though. DD just got one.
They can be quite pretty.
f3ae0d33-mirage_05006o05006o000000.jpg

I grew up with screen doors.....front, back

A friend painted hers a beautiful orange. It’s a deep color, not bright, and looks amazing.

Definitely not a thing everywhere. No one (I mean NO ONE) in my area has a screen door on the front door. I live in Southern CA, in a fairly large city.

Yes I haven't seen many screen doors in Seattle either. Many people don't have screens in their windows either. They aren't many bugs here.

We've been in our house 16 years, repainted a couple years ago and decided we'd move away from our red door, since we are going to a tri color home so we thought the red door might be too much so went with the accent color brown. I hated it from as soon as I saw it. Our door was now lost in the alcove. But instead of painting it the same color red we went with a cranberry red. We're much happier with our red door. Had it been a cream color we might have gone with it, but we just prefer the red.
IMG-5989.jpg
IMG-6035.jpg

We've been in our house 16 years, repainted a couple years ago and decided we'd move away from our red door, since we are going to a tri color home so we thought the red door might be too much so went with the accent color brown. I hated it from as soon as I saw it. Our door was now lost in the alcove. But instead of painting it the same color red we went with a cranberry red. We're much happier with our red door. Had it been a cream color we might have gone with it, but we just prefer the red.
IMG-5989.jpg
IMG-6035.jpg
Even though I'm not really into red doors, for your house it totally works and is much better (no offense lol) than the brown color IMO.

And with this single picture, you've sold me on the red! It's beautiful.
Happy to help! We really liked the cranberry paint, the team at Sherwin Williams was great taking our house colors and coming up with some options that one was their recommendation and I feel like they nailed it.

Even though I'm not really into red doors, for your house it totally works and is much better (no offense lol) than the brown color IMO.
No offense taken at all, we got a bit rushed as they had a last minute opening and we hadn't really thought through door as much as we should have. The brown door photo is what I sent to my wife who was on weekend trip with the word "YUCK" she agreed. Thankfully they hand't prepped the door very well and a pressure washer took most of it right off and then I repainted it myself with the help of a friend and Sherwin-Williams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter