What can or should Disney do about the crowds?

I've said it a few times before. They need split days all all 4 parks. It's a really simple concept that would lessen the crowds and double Disney's ticket sales.
Every day (except party days) Park hours at all parks 8am - 4pm AND 4pm - 12am. Charge the same current rate for each 8 hour visit. BUT, you cannot do the same park both time frames. You could do MK morning, HS evening or EP morning, AK evening etc. (If you are willing to pay for both). It would also work perfect on party days and for special events since the first half would always close at 4:00. Bottom line, it would satisfy the early birds and the late nighters. It would also make a huge dent in the crowds.
I would hate that.

I've said it a few times before. They need split days all all 4 parks. It's a really simple concept that would lessen the crowds and double Disney's ticket sales.
Every day (except party days) Park hours at all parks 8am - 4pm AND 4pm - 12am. Charge the same current rate for each 8 hour visit. BUT, you cannot do the same park both time frames. You could do MK morning, HS evening or EP morning, AK evening etc. (If you are willing to pay for both). It would also work perfect on party days and for special events since the first half would always close at 4:00. Bottom line, it would satisfy the early birds and the late nighters. It would also make a huge dent in the crowds.

Big challenge I see with that is the “morning session” people wouldn’t get the evening entertainment which I think is a huge element to a Disney trip

That is why I think if they do something it would be more like a regular ticket is from 9am to 9/10pm (whenever the fevening show is) and then late night is from that point to 1am or something, maybe have them overlap a bit

Big challenge I see with that is the “morning session” people wouldn’t get the evening entertainment which I think is a huge element to a Disney trip

That is why I think if they do something it would be more like a regular ticket is from 9am to 9/10pm (whenever the fevening show is) and then late night is from that point to 1am or something, maybe have them overlap a bit
True the morning session people would miss the fireworks etc but we all have a choice when we would like to go. If they choose to go to the evening session, they would see the fireworks etc. Anyway, it's just a thought. But it would work great for families with small kids as they generally cannot do a full park days so the morning half would be ideal for some people where the evening half would appeal to older teens, young adults and couples without kids.

The non-attraction entertainment that used to distribute crowds need to return. For instance, at one time there were lots of different shows at MK all day - one in Mickey's birthday land, one in Tomorrowland, and one in front of Pinocchio' s Village House. Plus a Castle Show and the Diamond Horseshoe Review. Epcot had the Fab 5 in spacesuits, plus a kite show, a Dragon Boat show and the character bus. MGM had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, then later Power Rangers. Remember the Lawn Guys band who rode in on their truck? There was a lot more street performers and parades at AK, MK & DHS.

The shopping is generic vs specialty shops like the magic store at MK. I used to love watching the peanut brittle being made. The candy lady in Japan was fun too.

Now we are funelled to the same limited number of attractions, so we're condensed. Run all attractions at peak so wait times are reasonable. Add more staff so I don’t have to wait 20 minutes for ice cream. Guaranteed I will spend more, buy more stuff if I don't have to wait forever.

I also think Disney needs to promote the resort experience more. When we stay, we use resort amenities just as much as theme parks. I have told newcomers that if you put most of the Disney resorts away from the parks and make them a "destination" you could be hbusy all day and never leave the grounds. Pools, activities, games, pool bar, restaurants, entertainment and theming. The first time my DD sang in public was at OKW Disney karaoke. We played family bingo, did crafts, played games in the pool, Wii tournament. Spent all day at the pool and Community Hall.

DH and I started visiting in 1986, usually twice a year. We are coming again in February but after that, not sure. That is really sad.

After the nightmare of the last one Disneyland had in 2015 I don’t think they will ever do it again.
Even if I agree with you, Disneyland had things against them with debuting 2 nighttime shows on the same night that year (first nighttime parade in years and the Disneyland 60th Firework Show). Did they debut the new World of Color that night as well? I never heard anything bad about the crowds at Walt Disney World.

I wish this event returns again at some point, but hopefully not when they "debut" new things.

As a non-resort guest, I'd have a major problem with this. I can't see them doing this on a regular basis since the majority of guests stay (and live) offsite. That balance will shift some as new hotels come online, but I think they would still be alienating a huge percentage of their audience, even if AP holders get counted as resort guests. As long as onsite and offsite guests pay the same price to enter the parks, I don't think they could get away with routinely having different hours for each group other than the EMH that already exists. Besides, they couldn't close at 7 or 8 during much of the year because that would mean non-resort guests couldn't see fireworks or nighttime entertainment.

"Get away with it"? Sure they could. It's their park to do with as they please. And I think the place would still be pretty full (every been on an EMH night? Place is packed to the gills). Do I think they'd actually do this? Nah, but a girl can dream. I think they like having the parks at capacity every day. $$$.

They could always make the park "close" (and by close I mean the ride lines) to non-resort guests at the time of the fireworks...like they do now for the occasional EMH. Non resort guests can stay and shop and eat. Or they could just close the ride lines to non-guests at 6 or 7. then non-resort guests can stay for the nighttime entertainement.

Or they could jack the price up so much that only the uber wealthy can afford to go and the rest of us are priced out.

Disney has done soooooooooooooooo many things I have a problem with. But I adapt and work around it. Whatever hair-brained scheme they come up with next will be no exception LOL.

Or we can all just hang on until the inevitable collapse of the Disney-hubris bubble/the American economy and then the parks will be empty again.

No matter what "solution" is proposed or implemented, there will be people who won't like it so 100% acceptance can't be a part of the equation. And it's not likely that Disney will put in place any fix that doesn't net them a fistful of dollars. So having said that, Disney could offer, for a healthy premium of course, the equivalent of unlimited front of the line passes or extra fast passes. This makes the standby queues longer, but hey, we would all have a choice of whether to buy the upgraded fast passes or wait in lines.

The non-attraction entertainment that used to distribute crowds need to return. For instance, at one time there were lots of different shows at MK all day - one in Mickey's birthday land, one in Tomorrowland, and one in front of Pinocchio' s Village House. Plus a Castle Show and the Diamond Horseshoe Review. Epcot had the Fab 5 in spacesuits, plus a kite show, a Dragon Boat show and the character bus. MGM had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, then later Power Rangers. Remember the Lawn Guys band who rode in on their truck? There was a lot more street performers and parades at AK, MK & DHS.

The shopping is generic vs specialty shops like the magic store at MK. I used to love watching the peanut brittle being made. The candy lady in Japan was fun too.

Now we are funelled to the same limited number of attractions, so we're condensed. Run all attractions at peak so wait times are reasonable. Add more staff so I don’t have to wait 20 minutes for ice cream. Guaranteed I will spend more, buy more stuff if I don't have to wait forever.

I also think Disney needs to promote the resort experience more. When we stay, we use resort amenities just as much as theme parks. I have told newcomers that if you put most of the Disney resorts away from the parks and make them a "destination" you could be hbusy all day and never leave the grounds. Pools, activities, games, pool bar, restaurants, entertainment and theming. The first time my DD sang in public was at OKW Disney karaoke. We played family bingo, did crafts, played games in the pool, Wii tournament. Spent all day at the pool and Community Hall.

DH and I started visiting in 1986, usually twice a year. We are coming again in February but after that, not sure. That is really sad.

We are not really resort people - but I do know a lot of people who are so I see that angle

Must admit in the past we weren't really "show" or "Parade" people either - but now that we have kids taking "breaks" is more appreciated and I also know a lot of people who have stated in the past they loved the Main St Electrical Parade as it would lower wait times at rides

I know they aren't "Money makers" for Disney but I agree that more shows are needed to help with crowds (obviously assuming they care about that) and give people something to do and feel they "got out of the day"

Especially as it seems all the changes they are making are designed to keep people on property and to encourage people to have a very WDW focused vacation rather than Disney just being a few days of their larger "Florida vacation"

I know they aren't "Money makers" for Disney but I agree that more shows are needed to help with crowds
Really, a show or parade is just another "attraction" the same as a ride. It's no more or less a money maker since they are all included in the price of admission. And sometimes people come specifically for the shows (mainly locals and AP holders probably but still) but will still grab a snack or a meal or have a drink or two or maybe buy a souvenir while they're in the park. So a good show can generate some revenue for them. I know a number of locals who go to Epcot just for dinner and a concert during F&W or F&G.

An economic correction, which is long overdue at this point, will do more for crowds than anything Disney can do.

Disney also has the ability to control traffic beyond what they are currently doing using the Magic Bands and RFID which I would expect them to be modeling at the moment.

Ultimately, a big part of the problem is that the parks were designed for fewer people. The width of the walkways, the size of the shops, the capacity of the rides were all done with fewer guests in mind, especially on older rides. There has been some retrofitting like redesigning the hub area of MK or adding a 3rd track to Toy Story Mania, but they can't make Main Street wider or boost capacity on Spaceship Earth.

Ultimately, a big part of the problem is that the parks were designed for fewer people. The width of the walkways, the size of the shops, the capacity of the rides were all done with fewer guests in mind, especially on older rides. There has been some retrofitting like redesigning the hub area of MK or adding a 3rd track to Toy Story Mania, but they can't make Main Street wider or boost capacity on Spaceship Earth.
Things need to be built in scale though too. It wouldn’t make sense to have a giant Main Street with the buildings being the size they are.

Is self adjustment an option? In other words, let the crowd levels rise to the point of frustration that you might see a drop-off due to a lackluster experience? Or, are there enough new guests that will not only absorb that, but will keep burgeoning the parks?

Is self adjustment an option? In other words, let the crowd levels rise to the point of frustration that you might see a drop-off due to a lackluster experience? Or, are there enough new guests that will not only absorb that, but will keep burgeoning the parks?

It's certainly an option, the two points against using that method I would see are:

1) at least for next few years I think for every guest that backs out now there will be 10 guests that want to come to see Galaxy's Edge - now, if they become regulars that return every year remains to be seen
2) If I was Disney and my plan was to allow for negative experience - and thus negative word of mouth - to be the solution, that just doesn't seem like the best impact to the brand

I'm already there.

For the first time in my life, I have absolutely zero desire to visit WDW, whether in the near or distant future.

I'll give Disneyland another shot, though. And definitely the overseas parks.

But WDW? Nah, I'm good.

I'm already there.

For the first time in my life, I have absolutely zero desire to visit WDW, whether in the near or distant future.

I'll give Disneyland another shot, though. And definitely the overseas parks.

But WDW? Nah, I'm good.
Very sadly hate to agree with your very well put first 2 paragraphs, @KingLlama . :(

Even being a little more vacation time and financially able to travel now for the first time since I was there almost 6 years ago, I have no plans on doing so. A travel agent friend who I actually met on Disney planning boards on Prodigy in '92, and with whom I have shared MANY happy WDW memories with was SHOCKED when I asked her about other travel options recently. I have been known as "the Disney lady" by all around me for SO long. Really makes me sad, especially since I do have so many treasured memories in a place that used to be "my happy place". :(

Last edited:
Things need to be built in scale though too. It wouldn’t make sense to have a giant Main Street with the buildings being the size they are.
Absolutely. This was a big complaint when Wizarding World opened, that the shops were so tiny, but if they were huge, they wouldn't have looked right or been true to the story/movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter