• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What attitidues/stares am I going to run into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to add an additional resource about GACs.

To get more information about Guest Assistance Cards, follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Post #6 of that thread is all about GACs - answers to the most frequently asked questions people have about GACs.

I was out of computer access yesterday, so was not able to reply ( and typing on my iPod now, so hard to give a long reply).
I am surprised the FAQs thread information didn't come up on a search though.

I do not put my diagnosis on the letter (no one would know what it is anyway), but I explain what my needs/problems are. Saying "bad back" does not mean much, but saying "I cannot bend my knee to walk up stairs" does. It does not matter the reason, they are only interested in how they can help.

I do not put my diagnosis on the letter (no one would know what it is anyway), but I explain what my needs/problems are. Saying "bad back" does not mean much, but saying "I cannot bend my knee to walk up stairs" does. It does not matter the reason, they are only interested in how they can help.
::yes::

And, looking at the information someone else found about Guest Assistance Cards, on that site, it lists some different conditions that a GAC might be useful for (Cerebral Palsy, Autism, etc).
It's important to know that the diagnosis is not important - or even that helpful - (even if it's something fairly well known like Cerebral Palsy) because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.

To use KPeveler's example, one person with a "bad back" may difficulty with going up stairs. Someone else with a "bad back" may not have any problem with that, but is concerned with sitting on bench seats that have no back.

So, it's important to be able to describe what your needs are.

when using an ECV at Disney World? i am renting one from an outside company. we will have a rental car so we won't need to deal with the buses as the women in the other post is talking about. after reading her post i am very nervous about this as i am to the point that there is no way i can walk thru the park anylonger and don't want to ruin the trip for my kids.

how does using an ECV and being handicapped affect riding on the rides?

how many stares will i get from people?

i was told there is no problem riding the ECV onto the monorail, is this true?

I have to say that I am sitting here with a smile on my face after reading your question and all the responses you have been given.

I am touched because I feel you are going to have just the greatest trip to WDW this time. My heart hurt when you described how you had to leave after an hour and about you falling at the hotel.

Just think - a whole new "World" will be waiting for you this time!! You will be able to spend more time - and quality time - with your family without additional pain and feeling like you are missing out.

I hope you have the best trip ever! :goodvibes

BTW - I don't use an ECV, but my sister does on occasion, and we are setting up my older cousin with one this summer (plantars fasciitis) so she can keep up with her little grandkids. Don't worry at all with anyone giving you looks. Chances are they are simply overly hot and overly tired and therefore overly "grumpy", and will not matter to what you have going on with your loved ones.

Post again upon your return to let us know what a great time you had, OK?

you are very nice. when we were at the gaylord palms, i fell the morning after we got there. it was horrible as it ruined the entire trip as i had to lay in bed with my legs up as they were that swollen and hurt. my DH had to take the girls out by himself. i got out twice and that was it.

the last trip, i went to see a friend who said she would help me. i bought 4 tickets online for magic kingdom and she said she did not want to go and deserted us in the middle of a shopping center. i had to find a place to stay with my girls as we knew no one, i didn't even know where we were when she left us and our luggage. my husband found a hotel and called a taxi as my cell phone was dying and we went to a hotel. i tried to make the best of it by taking the girls by myself but could not as i was swelling standing in the darn line for dumbo i thought i was going to collapse and we got out of line and i sat down and then we left. the girls told me "it's ok mama". instead of waiting for a bus as we wer not on disney property we took a cab that cost a fortune so we could get back to the hotel. it was horrible. i took them to the hotel and they swam in the pool so we made the best out of it. as we had not intended on staying in a hotel, my husband moved our plane tickets up to the next day and we came home. i can't take them alone obviously.

you made me smile so much by saying that this will be a great time since i will be able to get around :) thank you so much for your post.

also, thanks to everyone else who has posted and keeps posting.

I have to say that I am sitting here with a smile on my face after reading your question and all the responses you have been given.

I am touched because I feel you are going to have just the greatest trip to WDW this time. My heart hurt when you described how you had to leave after an hour and about you falling at the hotel.

Just think - a whole new "World" will be waiting for you this time!! You will be able to spend more time - and quality time - with your family without additional pain and feeling like you are missing out.

I hope you have the best trip ever! :goodvibes

BTW - I don't use an ECV, but my sister does on occasion, and we are setting up my older cousin with one this summer (plantars fasciitis) so she can keep up with her little grandkids. Don't worry at all with anyone giving you looks. Chances are they are simply overly hot and overly tired and therefore overly "grumpy", and will not matter to what you have going on with your loved ones.

Post again upon your return to let us know what a great time you had, OK?

i'm glad you came in to the thread. i am overweight and have been disabled since i wasn't overweight. i am 50 years old, disabled since 35. i'm going to rent one off of the disney site. i'm going to do what one of the posters said and have a good attitude and have a blast. if i try to walk we will be there less than one hour due to me not being able to walk. i am glad i found this board too.

to those who don't think someone has a disability because they don't look like it, think again, as i don't look like i have one until you see me get up and try to walk.

My mom and I both used ECV's when we went in October 2008. We both have chronic pain issues (different causes) and are both overweight. Both of us have fairly normal looking gaits when we walk but there was no way we could do all the walking required at Disney without significant pain. The first day I was more self conscious about using an ECV and worrying people assuming I was just being lazy. I realized it was their issue not mine, then I got over it. I was so absorbed in having fun after the first day that I didn't notice what other people were doing. It was just mom and I on the trip and we had a blast.

we should have a sign on the front and backs of our ECV's that say something like "Sure I'm fat but I am disabled so STOP STARING AT ME" LOL.

My mom and I both used ECV's when we went in October 2008. We both have chronic pain issues (different causes) and are both overweight. Both of us have fairly normal looking gaits when we walk but there was no way we could do all the walking required at Disney without significant pain. The first day I was more self conscious about using an ECV and worrying people assuming I was just being lazy. I realized it was their issue not mine, then I got over it. I was so absorbed in having fun after the first day that I didn't notice what other people were doing. It was just mom and I on the trip and we had a blast.

I am in my mid 30's and just had my 3rd knee surgery (arthritis) last Friday. My goal is to be ready for Disney in mid August with my wife and 3 kids. They are my motivation for physical therapy! Being a Disney vet we always note large groups using GAC's and admittedly wondered sometimes why an individual needed assistance. This time the shoe is on the other foot and I have some comfort knowing that a GAC and a scooter might have to be my plan "b".

I am in my mid 30's and just had my 3rd knee surgery (arthritis) last Friday. My goal is to be ready for Disney in mid August with my wife and 3 kids. They are my motivation for physical therapy! Being a Disney vet we always note large groups using GAC's and admittedly wondered sometimes why an individual needed assistance. This time the shoe is on the other foot and I have some comfort knowing that a GAC and a scooter might have to be my plan "b".

Odds are you won't need the GAC if your problem is your knee - a scooter should take care of your mobility needs, and lines are almost all mainstreamed. For those that are not, the scooter acts as a visual cue to the CM and they direct you to where you need to go.

You are not the first person who finds themselves in a new position of (possibly) needing a mobility device and having to consider everything in a new way. i hope your surgery recovery goes well and you are ready for disney!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter