• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What attitidues/stares am I going to run into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DD now 15 has a siezure disorder as do I and one of my DSs. We don't think much of it as we are well controlled. It was the end of the day and we were heading out of the MK to our resort. We stoped short. DD was having a peti mal siezure. Mostly staring and a small amount of facial twitching. Only lasted maybe 20 seconds. Some lady in the park started to tell me that I was an irrisponsable parent for binging my child into a crowed park where others would see this. While my DH took over with DD I turned to her and said. " I know what my daughters disabilties are and what we can handle. You however don't seem to realize that you have the disability of no manners and being rude."A number of people around us started clapping. DD was upset by this womens outburs and started to cry wanting to know why she said that. As we walked toward the buses 2 CMs came over asked if we needed anything and gave DD 2 disney pins to add to her lanyard. This was the first and last time anyone ever said anything. It was in 2005.

There are unfortunately rude people everywhere... I was even clipped by a woman with a stroller in a bathroom! She ran right into my wheelchair trying to get to the handicapped stall first!

What I remember is that... I don't know them, and I do not care about them or what they think.

Yes there are mistakes you will make with an ECV (accidentally cutting someone off, bumping into curbs or racks in stores). I did that while walking! Took out a whole rack of stuff animals once while I could still walk!! Just remember to relax and take your time, and everything will be fine!

A lot of people out there do not like to be "inconvenienced" having to deal with people with disabilities. I have had people ask why I bother getting on rides since I know it will hold people up (I need walkways slowed). I do it because that is the only way I can. I am a 25 yr old woman, and I do not intend to stop living just because my body is fighting back!

Remember this: There is a difference between surviving Disney and ENJOYING it.

If you need a ECV to enjoy disney, then DO IT! And pooh on everyone else. It's none of their business anyway!

I've gotten past the need to feel like I have to explain myself. I also have a cane, so I bring my folding cane and put it in the basket. Then when I get out of the ECV to get on a ride or show, I use the cane. Maybe it's a security blanket for me, so people understand that I can't walk well.

My family LOVES the fact that I get an ECV. It has improved their trip a hundredfold. BUT, I have RA in my knees, hips, ankles and shoulders so walking more than a block becomes agony for me. I honestly don't agree with folks who just want to be more comfortable using ECVs when they don't have a health problem, but who am I to judge??? Life is too short to care about what other people do or think, as long as they don't hurt me.

Now, what will it be like next week? I haven't been during big crowd times since I couldn't walk far any more. I know I'll stay to the side, wait until crowds clear out before I go, anything to avoid being in the middle of crowds. Hopefully I'll be able to do that in June, too.

I know you are worried and anxious now, but once you go to WDW using an ecv, you will be a veteran in no time.

Frankly, I don't care what attitudes/stares I might run into. Let me put it another way. In my former, healthy life, I lived and worked like anyone else. I was raised to be polite and to see the sunny side of life. Even so, there were people critical of me or what I was doing. I eventually realized their complaints about me weren't really about me, but because they had an agenda, like to make you feel as bad as they feel, or criticize you personally because you have a better job and they don't. So I don't worry when other people say bad things. I just pity them for missing so much that is good.

Using an ecv and getting on rides depends on you. For example, on Jungle Cruise, you can park your ecv and get in the regular line, OR get in the handicap line with your ecv, then enter the boat by walking, OR there is ONE boat that will load your ecv if you can't manage two steps down into the boat. If I travel solo, I wait for the ecv-boat. But it is a long wait, as there is only one of these boats.

How many stares will you get from people. Honestly, who has time to look? I am busy driving my scooter, listening to my loved ones, and looking around. So are other people. If it is really a worry, try some reverse psychology. You and your kids decorate your scooter with cheap glow in the dark stars that you tape on, etc. Print out small pictures of Disney characters and tape them on. (Buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone to eradicate tape residue.) Buy cheap bunches of glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces and loop them over your handlebars, then give them out one by one as other kids notice them when it gets dark. Play up some theme like your own personal Doom Buggy, or your own Cinderella's Pumpkin carriage. You can get a string of solar lights at Target or online and string it around the scooter and keep the solar charger in your front basket. You could be the center of COOL in your kids' eyes! :woohoo:

Riding ecv onto/off the monorail. Only scary the first time, then you will see it is no problem. Aim straight, go medium speed. Stop before you hit the wall on other side. If you do hit the wall on other side, kids will laugh, so will you. That's about it. Backing out: Aim straight, don't turn head because this tends to make you turn your wheel. Easy does it. CM will assist you from behind. Don't go until CM has put the ramp up. Really, this has happened. :)

Get those cheap rain ponchos at Wal-mart. Get a bunch -- they rip. Also bring some plastic grocery bags. If it looks like rain going into a ride, cover scooter controls on handle bar with bags. Put poncho over scooter seat.

Remember, you are under no obligation to answer other people's questions about why you are on an ecv. Just smile and enjoy your trip. Let us hear from you when you get back!

There are unfortunately rude people everywhere... I was even clipped by a woman with a stroller in a bathroom! She ran right into my wheelchair trying to get to the handicapped stall first!

What I remember is that... I don't know them, and I do not care about them or what they think.

Yes there are mistakes you will make with an ECV (accidentally cutting someone off, bumping into curbs or racks in stores). I did that while walking! Took out a whole rack of stuff animals once while I could still walk!! Just remember to relax and take your time, and everything will be fine!

A lot of people out there do not like to be "inconvenienced" having to deal with people with disabilities. I have had people ask why I bother getting on rides since I know it will hold people up (I need walkways slowed). I do it because that is the only way I can. I am a 25 yr old woman, and I do not intend to stop living just because my body is fighting back!

Remember this: There is a difference between surviving Disney and ENJOYING it.

If you need a ECV to enjoy disney, then DO IT! And pooh on everyone else. It's none of their business anyway!

You know after talking to you a bit in the other thread I am glad to see I am not the only one who is younger, 28 here. To some people, disabled folks are an inconvenience but its easy to work around them most of the time.

Last time I had my Fiance with me (who cannot go this time sadly) and she helped a lot with corralling the other folks who did not seem to want to make the tiniest bit of room for me to get by while they took their walking break while standing in the middle of the walkway. On a side note, if only I could get her to get married at Disney World but she is not a D-Freak like me ROFL.

You and your kids decorate your scooter with cheap glow in the dark stars that you tape on, etc. Print out small pictures of Disney characters and tape them on. (Buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone to eradicate tape residue.) Buy cheap bunches of glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces and loop them over your handlebars, then give them out one by one as other kids notice them when it gets dark. Play up some theme like your own personal Doom Buggy, or your own Cinderella's Pumpkin carriage. You can get a string of solar lights at Target or online and string it around the scooter and keep the solar charger in your front basket. You could be the center of COOL in your kids' eyes! :woohoo:

I love your ideas, here. I like the glow in the dark bracelet idea the best with giving it out to other kids.

I love your ideas, here. I like the glow in the dark bracelet idea the best with giving it out to other kids.

Thanks. When grown daughter and I went last October, we decorated the scooter up, especially for MNSSHP, and we both agreed that instead of being invisible, we stood out. There were lots of conversations with other visitors. We felt that if we were noticed, maybe people weren't so likely to collide with us by accident. It was all good! :)

I was feeling a lot the same way before I rented an ECV before my first trip to the World last year. The commenters above have covered most of it, but there are another couple of things to keep in mind:

First, others are going to have a lot more wonderful things to stare at than you (as wonderful as you are, I am sure). In fact be prepared for people being so wrapped up in the wonder that they don't see you at all. People seem to develop a peripheral sense that lets them avoid other adult pedestrians without ever really looking at them, but ECVs seem to be below there radar.

Second, there is going to be so much for you to see and do that you probably won't notice it if someone does stare. Remeber, this is Disney, not Walmart.

Thanks so much for replying. If I can't use an EVC I won't be able to go as I am in that much pain. I just know rude people who don't know the chronic pain that I am in will stare at me. I'm going to try and ignore it so it won't ruin our trip as I so want to be able to go with my husband and girls. It's so sad when I can join in on activities because of the pain I am in.

As far as I know we can't take the ferry, aren't the ferries only for people staying on Disney property?

We have taken an ECV on a ferry before from MK to the wilderness campground for dinner and from CTT to MK. The staff had no problem with it, but can be a hassle loading onto the smaller ferries.

MandyMaloo said:
Especially coming in from another thread where people on EVCs were being blamed for some pretty strange things
That thread got closed before I could blame "people on ECVs" for the Red Sox losing the sixth game of the 1986 World Series, and ultimately the Series itself. Everyone thinks it was Bill Buckner's fault, but I know the truth! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

As far as I know we can't take the ferry, aren't the ferries only for people staying on Disney property?

You can go on any transportation Disney offers. It is not about staying on Disney Property. It's about being a guest at Walt Disney World. It's part of your ticket price and parking price. Disney hotel guests don't pay for parking, but they usually pay more than off-site.

Boats include the ferries from TTC (MK parking lot) to MK. These big ferries have no problems handling ecvs. Depending on the time you get to MK parking lot, the ferry might not be running. They don't start until 8:30 am. If you are there earlier, you must take the MK monorail. The water boats from MK to WL can sometimes be a problem for ecvs because of low water level versus dock. There is a boat from MK to GF but I am almost positive it is not compatible for ecvs.

At Epcot, the boats are no problem for an ecv. The Friendship boats take you across the World Showcase lake. At the Epcot International Gateway, (between France and UK), the boat there takes you to BW or BC/YC or Swan/Dolphin, then DHS. It is a fun way to visit DHS/Epcot, or go to an Epcot Resorts restaurant.

In MK there is the Liberty Belle sidewheeler which is good for ecvs. You can't take the scooter to Tom Sawyer Island. I don't think wheelchair, either. DH might have to take kids there while you do something else.

There is also a boat from DTD to Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter which carries ecvs with no problem.

For the train at MK, you will have to leave your scooter behind, so plan on a full round-trip. I adore the train ride. It's just a matter of time expended.

There is a train at AK Rafiki's Planet Watch that will load your ecv.

There are designated areas in all the parks for the ecvs for the parades and fireworks. Have a CM lead you to the handicap viewing area or you will never see what's going on. I believe family, up to a certain number, can be there in back of you. After these shows, hang back 10-15 minutes to let the crowds disburse, or you might feel really crushed.

Have a ball and I hope your pain will be the furthest thing from your mind as you ride your ecv.

How many stares will you get from people. Honestly, who has time to look? I am busy driving my scooter, listening to my loved ones, and looking around. So are other people. If it is really a worry, try some reverse psychology. You and your kids decorate your scooter with cheap glow in the dark stars that you tape on, etc. Print out small pictures of Disney characters and tape them on. (Buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol or Goo Gone to eradicate tape residue.) Buy cheap bunches of glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces and loop them over your handlebars, then give them out one by one as other kids notice them when it gets dark. Play up some theme like your own personal Doom Buggy, or your own Cinderella's Pumpkin carriage. You can get a string of solar lights at Target or online and string it around the scooter and keep the solar charger in your front basket. You could be the center of COOL in your kids' eyes! :woohoo:

Yup some battery operated christmas lights an iPod with battery operated speakers in the basket and the recording of SpectroMagic and your a float from Spectro for MNSSHP

Originally Posted by mytripsandraces
I thought the buses were for resort guests only. Can everyone use the buses?

My understanding is that the Park buses can be "legally" used by anyone who possesses a Park Hopper ticket, regardless of whether staying on-site or off. I presume this means use of MK to Epcot monorail, also. Going a step further, it makes sense that this includes the Epcot to DHS boat. And, of course, anyone of any status going to MK can use the MK ferry and MK monorail.

Honestly, in all the times I have used any WDW internal transportation of any sort (ferry, boat, bus), I was never asked about where I was staying or what kind of ticket I had. I just got on, then off again.

The only time I have been asked if I was a Disney Resort Guest was entering a ride during Extra Magic Hours. For sure, people would be asked to show current KTTK card, and turned away if they didn't have one.

The time I have been asked about ticket status is during special park events like MNSSHP. You had to show a special wristband to remain in the park. :)

Yup some battery operated christmas lights an iPod with battery operated speakers in the basket and the recording of SpectroMagic and your a float from Spectro for MNSSHP

I hope you're just being playful. My DD24 would disown me if I added sound to my scooter decorations. Just suggesting things that might create a friendly invitation to conversation between the able-bodied and those who use wheeled equipment. Clearly, a gap exists there. :)

I wasn't making fun,I think its a wonderful idea. My DW would have never gone for it, but saw it done on someone elses ECV while we were at the party.

I wasn't making fun,I think its a wonderful idea. My DW would have never gone for it, but saw it done on someone elses ECV while we were at the party.

Online I recently found a battery-powered LED Pumpkin Light string for our next trip, which includes a MNSSHP ticket.

I like the idea of lights and/or glow-in-the-dark at night because my scooter is red, and the parks are dimly lit. I am always worried about someone not seeing me and getting hurt. I would really regret that.

OMG...awesome idea about the lights :) Cannot wait for Halloween :thumbsup2

And I wanted to chime in about the looks or comments.......

I have one of those "invisible disabilites" called Syringomyelia, although I can get up and walk and talk and look "normal" my spinal cord has a syrinx (a blockage) that is 82% wide in my cervical spinal cord. Although I "look normal" I have no feeling portions of my left arm or my right leg, I cant control temperature and have uncontrollable spasms in my legs, that actually are so severe and sharp, I scream out in pain like I have Tourettes.

With this being said, I have heard the humming and hawing of somebody feeling like they are getting jipped becasue they have been waiting for the bus home and they load you first. I have heard those wating on line for Soaring as I am wheeling down in my scooter past them since I cant walk that far. I have heard the "she is faking" when I get out of my scooter and walk to load on a ride.

Remember this: YOU KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS, and if it make YOUR trip that YOU paid for, those traveling with you able to enjoy YOUR company with YOU not being in pain, who cares what the comments or dirty looks are? This is YOUR trip and you will NOT see any of these people again. And even if you did in real life, somebody who would give you a comment or a dirty look, would you want to be friends with anyway? Do what is right for you to have the best time you can. ALL the money, planning and excitement should not be ruined by those people. Have a great time and keep your head held high :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter