What age would you let your child

My DD13 has gorgeous brown curly hair with red highlights. However, she also inherited (from DH's side ;)) prematurely greying hair. So she has quite a few strands that are white and people notice (well, adult people notice but don't say anything...teen girls, on the other hand, love to tease) so I promised DD that I would take her to her hair dresser and discuss options for covering the grey. At this point I think we may go with some strategically applied highlights. I have been procrastinating making the appointment for a week. I am so scared of changing her hair in any way. It is so gorgeous, with perfect sausage curls. I hope the dye doesn't change the hair texture or make it even dryer than it already is.

Of course your dd doesn't and of course your best friend doesn't think so either. My boyfriend, um he's in Canada, thinks I'm right.
Have a good day, see you on the playground ;)

Well since I don't know you or your "boyfriend" and I do know my best friend and she knows my DD I know the truth. Have fun on the playground by yourself, we have way outgrown the playground.

I let my 5th grade daughter dye the tips of her hair bright blue for her birthday this year. It was just one of those semi-permanent ones that fade out in three weeks.

Didn't see any harm in it and she really loved it.

I'd handle it the same way my parents did with me...

When she's old enough to have a part time job & pay for it herself.

The day I turned 15, I got a job & paid for any unnecessary fun extras in life myself...car, highlights, make up, manicures, pedicures. I'm so glad my parents did it that way because it taught me responsibility & that you have to work for the fun stuff in life. I knew if I wasn't responsible at my job then I wouldn't have my car payment for my dad & that would mean, no car! Needless to say I was a VERY responsible little supermarket cashier. :rotfl: Still know my produce codes... Bananas 4011! :rotfl:

We gotta stop just handing kids everything they want.
(not accusing anyone, just saying. I didn't read the whole post)

Well I just finished doing errands with DD who , yes, has been getting highlights during the summer since she was 10. I told her that some where concerned that she would have a self esteem image. She looked at me and rolled her eyes, and said yeah, me with a self esteem problem, laugh. She said and I quote: "cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it." I also love her wicked sense of humor, it goes with the high lighted hair. :lmao:

Well I just finished doing errands with DD who , yes, has been getting highlights during the summer since she was 10. I told her that some where concerned that she would have a self esteem image. She looked at me and rolled her eyes, and said yeah, me with a self esteem problem, laugh. She said and I quote: "cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it." I also love her wicked sense of humor, it goes with the high lighted hair. :lmao:

Lots of girls who had blonde hair find it turns darker, but not brown, as they age. If they happen to have fine hair, that shade can look unwashed/dirty and highlights can ease that problem. I've seen girls with this color and natural looking highlights look nice. Who wants dirty looking hair, even when you wash it?

Lots of girls who had blonde hair find it turns darker, but not brown, as they age. If they happen to have fine hair, that shade can look unwashed/dirty and highlights can ease that problem. I've seen girls with this color and natural looking highlights look nice. Who wants dirty looking hair, even when you wash it?

True...but not heavy highlights.:crazy2: Heavy highlights means roots and having the need to continue doing it. As they go through puberty, it almost always gets darker and tends to come into its own and that "dirty blonde" doesn't look as "dirty." Light highlights might help you through that change but heavy highlights combined with natural darkening equals dark roots.

I'm not a fan of kids coloring their hair. It's chemicals and damaging...period. There's better ways of doing it than others but honestly, a lifetime of coloring is pretty rough on the hair. I know because I see it everyday. I touch it, color it, condition it, cut it. After 30_ years of color, it takes it toll.

Doing something for fun now and then isn't so bad (funky streaks, ends, etc.) But when you start coloring the hair all over with permanent hair color or highlighting it where you have roots to keep up, you're into maintenance and commitment. Personally, I just hate kids getting themselves into that type of commitment at a young age.

True...but not heavy highlights.:crazy2: Heavy highlights means roots and having the need to continue doing it. As they go through puberty, it almost always gets darker and tends to come into its own and that "dirty blonde" doesn't look as "dirty." Light highlights might help you through that change but heavy highlights combined with natural darkening equals dark roots.

I'm not a fan of kids coloring their hair. It's chemicals and damaging...period. There's better ways of doing it than others but honestly, a lifetime of coloring is pretty rough on the hair. I know because I see it everyday. I touch it, color it, condition it, cut it. After 30_ years of color, it takes it toll.

Doing something for fun now and then isn't so bad (funky streaks, ends, etc.) But when you start coloring the hair all over with permanent hair color or highlighting it where you have roots to keep up, you're into maintenance and commitment. Personally, I just hate kids getting themselves into that type of commitment at a young age.

THis is my DD, her hair looks dirty even though she washes it everyday. So in the summer we get her hair high lighted, nothing major and we let it go for almost an entire year. She spends so much time n the gym for cheer starting in June through May, you really don't notice, it is always slicked back in a pony tail. Those high lights will last almost a year, so she doesn't look like a dirty grease ball. lol

I'd handle it the same way my parents did with me...

When she's old enough to have a part time job & pay for it herself.

The day I turned 15, I got a job & paid for any unnecessary fun extras in life myself...car, highlights, make up, manicures, pedicures. I'm so glad my parents did it that way because it taught me responsibility & that you have to work for the fun stuff in life. I knew if I wasn't responsible at my job then I wouldn't have my car payment for my dad & that would mean, no car! Needless to say I was a VERY responsible little supermarket cashier. :rotfl: Still know my produce codes... Bananas 4011! :rotfl:

We gotta stop just handing kids everything they want.
(not accusing anyone, just saying. I didn't read the whole post)

My parents had the same attitude. But since a car + insurance + gas cost way more than I could ever possibly earn at $2.10 per hour before taxes, I never got a job. :rotfl:

Drove my 10 year old to the bus stop today and realized what a terrible parent I am! She has highlights from June, Toms shoes and a Vera Bradley backpack that I paid for. I didn't realize she needed to get a job so she could buy these things herself. I guess there's something wrong with her because she's never been interested in Barbies as well.

Drove my 10 year old to the bus stop today and realized what a terrible parent I am! She has highlights from June, Toms shoes and a Vera Bradley backpack that I paid for. I didn't realize she needed to get a job so she could buy these things herself. I guess there's something wrong with her because she's never been interested in Barbies as well.

Well, my dd had over 100 Barbies at one point, so I'm probably a horrible mother too. Can't win for losing in the mom wars, can you? :lmao:

Just wanted to add that color and highlights can fry your hair - - but not always! I've been coloring/highlighting my hair since I was 12 (I'm 45). I get complimented on how healthy and shiny my hair is almost every day. And I wash and blow dry it every day. I get it done at a salon and I deep condition it and use shampoo/products suited for color treated hair. My 21 year old daughter has been dying her hair red for the last 5 years. She doesn't wash her hair every day - but she does blow dry AND flat iron or curl it. She's too lazy to take the time to deep condition it or use protective products. While it doesn't look fried - it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as healthy as mine.
Just wanted to make the point that coloring/highlighting or dying your hair can damage it - it's not a given!

Just wanted to add that color and highlights can fry your hair - - but not always! I've been coloring/highlighting my hair since I was 12 (I'm 45). I get complimented on how healthy and shiny my hair is almost every day. And I wash and blow dry it every day. I get it done at a salon and I deep condition it and use shampoo/products suited for color treated hair. My 21 year old daughter has been dying her hair red for the last 5 years. She doesn't wash her hair every day - but she does blow dry AND flat iron or curl it. She's too lazy to take the time to deep condition it or use protective products. While it doesn't look fried - it certainly doesn't look anywhere near as healthy as mine.
Just wanted to make the point that coloring/highlighting or dying your hair can damage it - it's not a given!

I'll call you on this one. Over processing will "fry" your hair, yes. Going from blonde to dark , to highlights and back again will "fry" your hair. And visibly, we'd all see it.

However, coloring and highlighting does damage the hair shaft. Period. Sorry. Your hair may look healthy and that's great. Mine does too and I've highlighted since I got into the business at 18and I'm 47. My hair does not look "fried" but it is damage-- because it has been chemically altered.

It's just a fact.

I think most people take good care of their hair. They want it to look nice & they want to protect such an expensive investment.

All that said, if someone has "fried" hair that's been abused, one can make it look exceptionally better with Redken's Shades EQ semi-permanent color. The results can be amazing. :) But put 20vol. + hair color or highlights with bleach and it is not going to help that hair.

demi permanent anytime, permanent, probably not until 6th or 7th grade.
My 7 year old has a blue streak right now (no bleach, vegetable based, washes out in a couple weeks) I already was dying my hair, so it was easy to just Put it in (her hair is super blond- I wouldn't bleach it at this age, though.)
My 9 year old son has hair down to the middle of his back.
I always let them have the choice on hair and clothes (as long as it is age-appropriate), since it is their body.

I would probably put highlights off as long as I could -- but only because it sounds expensive and high-maintenance. And what can I say -- I'm cheap and lazy! :) If we had more expendable income, I'd be okay with it.

I have an 8 year old and I'm constantly being asked for 1) a cell phone, 2) a laptop, 3) fake nails. I haven't gotten the highlights request yet, but I'm sure that's coming.

I'm trying to put all of that off until high school, if possible. :)

I didn't let mine till she was 16. Parents let their kids do things so young now days what do they have to look forward to. Let them stay little kids for as long as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter