Were you in a sorority or fraternity?

Nope. They thought about bringing sororities and fraternities when I was a junior. We protested against it. Didn't happen.
Just not my cup of tea either. Seemed divisive to us so we were glad to keep our school the way it was.

I wasn't in a sorority but most of my friends in college were greek due to my involvement in Student Government. :) I had a lot of the benefits without paying a nickle. ;)

I wasn't in a sorority but most of my friends in college were greek due to my involvement in Student Government. :) I had a lot of the benefits without paying a nickle. ;)

My best friend was president the biggest rowdiest frat on campus. I reaped the benefits as well. His girlfriend was the president to the loosest sorority on campus and I also reaped the benefits of that! Ah, the good ole days! :rotfl:

I actually went the service route, and was in a Service Fraternity (co-ed), Alpha Phi Omega. I pledged one semester and then was actually the pledgemaster (?? forgetting my terms) another semester. Ya' know, runnning the new pledge class. We did local charity work, had some formals, great group of people. I regret not staying in touch with some of them better though.

Oh, this was at Northern Illinois, mid-90's...

Hi Brother!! I belonged to the Epsilon Delta chapter in CT. We were knows as the Eddies.

Chi Omega here.

Deb

What is it?

Chi Omega here, too. I made and still maintain a some wonderful friendships from that experience.

I still try to be true to the ideals in our Symphony:

To live constantly above snobbery of word or deed; to place scholarship before social obligations and character before appearances; to be, in the best sense, democratic rather than 'exclusive', and lovable rather than 'popular'; to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to act sincerely, to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and conscience demand; to be womanly always; to be discouraged never; in a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my Fraternity and her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart that she may be a symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note.

I'm in a social sorority (Sigma Delta Tau) and in an international Pharmaceutical Fraternity (Kappa Psi). I :love: both my sisters and my brothers, but I don't have that much time to commit anymore. Joining them has been two of the best things I've ever done, so no regrets here :goodvibes

I'm a Phi Sigma Sigma (as noted in my SN, which I picked when I was president of the sorority ;)). It was one of the best decisions of my entire life. It's how I met my husband, how I developed as a person, and how I made some of the best friends of my life.

I am a member of Alpha Sigma Alpha. Being a part of the sorority really helped me adjust to being so far away from home. I loved every minute of it and I'm still involved in the local alumni chapter. I work at a University so whenever Greek Life is looking for new sorority's I always put ASA's name in.

Sister of Kappa Delta and little sister for Kappa Sigma. I get misty eyed remembering my big brother teaching me how to beer bong. :woohoo:

I was in Sigma Alpha Iota, a professional music fraternity for women. I loved it. We have an honorary membership for men and Henry Mancini was one. Some other notable sisters are Jessye Norman, Beverly Seals and Sheryl Crow. I am not involved with it anymore.

I did join a non-collegiate service sorority after graduation called Sigma Beta. We have members of all ages across the country and we volunteer with and donate cash grants to numerous local and national charities. I'm going on my 10th year as a member and I love it. My Emerald Angels link in my siggy is to my chapter's web site.

Me, too! Gamma Gamma chapter at Shenandoah University. Not still involved either, but I've got my pin, and I wear it when I perform. Which is not as much as I'd like anymore.

Absolutely not-- I find the whole idea of it to be somewhat ridiculous and cheesy.

I did and I have great memories of those days. My best friends today are the girls from my sorority (20 years later).

Just wondering... I saw the post about the mom asking questions for her DD. So, were you in one? Which one and why? Did you enjoy it? Regret it? Still actively involved??
Nope...never even thought about it. I never understood the need to purchase my college friends after letting them humiliate me during pledge time.:confused:

It also didn't help that during my freshman year a classmate's "brothers" :rolleyes: encouraged him to drink himself to death as part of his pledging requirements.

When I was at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign I was an active member of Alpha Omicron Pi.

Yea Alpha O's!!

A Rose Ever Blooming

A rose ever blooming
Will grow through the years,
To keep us together
In love, hope, and tears.
Though others may die
And all fade away
Our rose continues each night
(Each night) and day

Of all of the treasures
This earth may contain
To thee I'll be faithful
With thee I'll remain
An AOII now,
And forever I'll be
For AOII means more than the world
(The world) to me.

Phi Sigma Sigma here also, though to be honest I was always half-hearted about it. Which got me into a lot of trouble because every-stinking-activity was "mandatory."

My whole chapter is gone now, so that's the end of that. It was fun though.

I was a Tri Sigma at the now defunct Gamma Iota chapter at UMass Amherst. I regret it to be honest. I joined for the wrong reasons, and spent too much time partying and trying to fit in.

Nope...never even thought about it. I never understood the need to purchase my college friends after letting them humiliate me during pledge time.:confused:

It also didn't help that during my freshman year a classmate's "brothers" :rolleyes: encouraged him to drink himself to death as part of his pledging requirements.

They aren't all like that. I joined Alpha Phi Omega- a national Co-ed Service fraternity. Yeah, we partied, we had fun. But no one was ever forced to drink or do anything they did not want to. Our biggest form of "hazing" was a weekend long scavenger hunt with little to no sleep. It was a blast.

And as far as purchasing friends... we did not pay to be in this fraternity. We did volunteer work and held fundraisers to pay for any supplies needed for the volunteer work. If there was a party, they were mostly self funded because frat money could not be used on events that included alcohol. We might hold a short "meeting" before the party in which food was served that was funded by the frat... ie meeting from 5-7 Friday at Mikes house. In unrelated news, Mike will be having a party Friday night starting at 7:05.:laughing:

We did pay to go to Conclaves, but that was about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter