• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well, I did it and I feel terrible about it.

I'm 32. Its not a youth movement. I don't mind some of the phone apps that are convenient. But at the same time I also don't want to be on my phone a majority of my Vacation. I'm on "Vacation". I want to see the moments not have my head down the whole time. I will tell you, I'll use a magic band for as long as I can instead of having to always be on my phone. There's a balance between planning and planning every second of your day. We go to disney every year for 10-15 days. I'm not new. We've gone 20 times over my life. Its getting to a point where too much is done through the app.

Agree with your post.

MDE is great, and I'm sure Genie will have it's perks, but getting up at 7am every day you are going to a park to make your first Genie + ride selection? Yeah, that's not my idea of a good time. Neither is constantly being on my phone at the parks. When I'm on vacation, I try and get away from using my phone or computer, since so much of modern day life is spent in front of some form of screen.

OP, I'm sorry about your trip. I completely understand where you are coming from.

Please don't cancel. I too, have that number that starts with 6 and after having to postpone Alaska for three years now, I regret not doing so much more because I was too busy working. I do still do Disney a few times a year (I can drive it in 5 hours).....and I tell you, restrictions or not, one day you will wake up and there will be one issue after another health wise. I'm waiting for an MRI for a possible torn bicep tendon, and while compensating for cutting back on activities by doing more treadmill, etc,., I've hurt my knee. Please, please, please, as long as you are healthy enough to go to Disney, please don't NOT go because of all of the restrictions. Enjoy it for every beautiful minute you are there.

Last edited:

Remember parents lugging around video cameras and film cameras and all the corner shops carried a huge array of overpriced film. Today I bring my 1/3 pound phone instead and it's actually superior to our old equipment. WDW is so photogenic my phone comes regardless.

There are other ways to do stuff in WDW without a phone. Having a phone does make it easier but that's mostly because the technology made these processes easier. Forgot your park tickets in your room? No worries if you're using MDE. Not sure which quick service has the best menu for your family but you don't want to walk the park finding out? MDE. Don't want to spend 20-30 minutes on a QS line, 15 minutes waiting for your food? Mobile Order. Lost your room key? Lost your husband? Forgot where you parked in MK lot? Need to know the last 2 showings of Beauty & the Beast? Where's the nearest restroom? Show me how to get there? Quickest route to Frozen from Figment? Is the afternoon shower almost here? Find out if Test Track is down without walking over? Get on the walk-up list for Nomad Lounge right after getting off of Dinosaur? Not needing to walk over there to find out there's a 90 minute wait? Many parts of guest experience has vastly improved from technology accessible thru our phones.

It'd be nice to disconnect from our devices but that would also mean sacrificing many of the improvements made over the last decade or so. Do we really want to go back?

Unfortunately things are not changing or reverting back. So it’s everyone’s choice. I will bend and learn, because the alternative is not to go at all. And I love it there and want to go. For some they may not want to go as badly as me. Maybe other vacation ideas will get their attention. I also feel like without going I will not have actually given it a chance. Some things just may turn out better.

Well I did it. My wife and I have decided not to resume our annual trip to WDW next February due to the myriad of changes we have seen that now exist at our favorite place and we feel sick about it. My biggest complaint is the need to make a reservation for a park. I talked to a Disney Rep yesterday and it seems that the reservations will be here for awhile. My wife and I are in our late 60's and we enjoy waking up in the morning and deciding what park to visit after our breakfast. That decision is based on the weather and what we feel like experiencing that day. We also do not do the "electronic" thing. No cell phone, no I-Pad, nothing. We like to walk around and enjoy the parks at our leisure. Now you have to call in your quick serve food order. I am worried about the transportation phase as well. It was comforting knowing I got off the plane, walked down to Magical Express and got to the hotel. Without a phone or ability to text, I am told getting an uber is not happening. The bus service is there but it was explained to me it could take hours before I get to our hotel. The bags always showed up in our room in a matter of hours. That is now gone. My wife is relegated to a wheelchair so going to pick up our bags adds another hardship. Our "Happiest Place on Earth" has suddenly become Not-So Friendly. I understand that the youth of today exist for their phones or whatever you want to call your communications device. But can't we who choose to just take it easy and enjoy the parks not be burdened because we don't have those devices?
My husband and I are close to your ages. He's a disaster on the smartphone. I stumble along. We get a lot of help from our kids. I completely understand the desire to unplug from technology and bask in the moment. So, we've decided to head West next summer and explore South Dakota and Wyoming with an "adult" tour group. At first, I thought that I would be unhappy about the decision to skip Disney next year (and probably for a few more, at least until our grandchild gets a little older). But there's a very calm and relaxing feeling, knowing that with a few clicks on the computer we are all set for an 8-night trip that includes transportation, most meals, tours and a chance to visit some place neither of us has been before.

I live on my phone so that’s not the reason we re not heard back. It’s just Left a very UNDisney like taste in our mouths of late, GREED.

I feel your pain about the reservation system. When they put it in place I was pretty upset. None of the other changes bother me, I don't have to pay for Genie +, I never made FPs anyway. I don't use ME, we drive down so no loss for me (although paid parking at the resorts sucks). Last time I was there in April I didn't place a single mobile order, we rarely eat at QS and since I was there during F&G I just grazed at the booths with a few TS meals and some hearty snacks thrown in.

But booking a reservation a month or so in advance just sucks. Like the OP, we rarely knew what park we were going to until we got up in the morning. How the heck do I know a month in advance what park I want to go to. The fact that you can't hop until 2 sucks. I can deal with having to make a reservation if I can hop earlier, I don't need it to be first thing but let's push it up to noon at least. I managed fine my trip in April. Made reservations about 2 months out, hopped at 2 every single day. Actually, I usually went back to the resort for some pool time or rest (nap) then hopped. I'm not young, I'm in my mid-60s. I do have a smart phone but am not tied to it, I don't even look at the wait times on MDE, I can see just fine far away and am capable of looking at a sign in front of a ride. I do check to see where I can eat that night, I don't book ADRs in advance either.

As far as ME, I don't think I'd have used it to start with. I'm more of a book a car service in advance so someone will pick up bags and carry them to the car for me, type person. The thought of having to wait in line for a bus after flying, nope not happening.

OP, I hope you rethink it it before your next trip. Everything except the reservation system is easily worked around and even that doesn't have to suck so bad (it still sucks).

Sorry you feel you can’t visit in the near future. But cell phones is not a “youth” thing. It’s the way we all function in society these days and it’s not going away. You can always get a throw away phone for a few days to use in the parks. Also, it doesn’t take hours to get to your hotel from the parks.
....correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but I think the OP meant "from MCO to a resort", not "from a park to a resort" but I could have misinterpreted it wrong..

Agree with your post.

MDE is great, and I'm sure Genie will have it's perks, but getting up at 7am every day you are going to a park to make your first Genie + ride selection? Yeah, that's not my idea of a good time. Neither is constantly being on my phone at the parks....
....how about having to arrive at a park to get access to a virtual queue?? Back in December 2019 when RotR first opened, we had to be INSIDE DHS before 6AM in order to get a Boarding Pass. Of course, it has dramatically improved - Boarding Pass available at 7AM instead of 6, you do NOT have to be actually inside DHS [Boarding Pass can be obtained from virtually ANYWHERE (we did it a few weeks ago from my DS's apartment 20 minutes away) ] and now there are 2 opportunities, the second one coming at 1PM. The point I'm making is that WDW will see what works and what won't and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
....how about having to arrive at a park to get access to a virtual queue?? Back in December 2019 when RotR first opened, we had to be INSIDE DHS before 6AM in order to get a Boarding Pass. Of course, it has dramatically improved - Boarding Pass available at 7AM instead of 6, you do NOT have to be atuakkly inside DHS [Boarding Pass can be obtained from virtually ANYWHERE (we did it a few weeks ago from my DS's apartment 20 minutes away) ] and now there are 2 opportunities, the second one coming at 1PM. The point I'm making is that WDW will see what works and what won't and adjust accordingly.

Never had the pleasure! But yes, they have definitely improved that, and hopefully they will do the same thing for Genie+. Doesn't have to be 30-60 days out, but a week out, or even the day/night before would be better.

....Companies who sell phones and/or software try to make it seem like you are somehow being 'left behind' if you aren't constantly using their wonderful/amazing products to run your life.......but most adults realize that is called marketing....I mostly use my phone to make phone calls, might read an email when not at home and occasionally for texting.....
....you must be older than 30! :p [ I have found that most folks under the age of 30 don't use a phone for what it's true purpose is - talking! :rotfl: ]

I'm 68 and had to upgrade my cell phone with unlimited data due to storms knocking out my landline. I have had a cell phone since they were more like walkie talkies...still hate them. I hate the fact you can't go to a restaurant without all the loud phone conversations. Families ignoring each other because they are on their phones. People at WDW forcing you to see your vacation rides through their phone and getting an ocular migraine from the bright phone light. Sorry, did I say I hate them? Mine stays in my purse on vibrate. I don't take calls and sometimes text or read an email or news.
Now with the new, use more phone time on vaca, I'll pass on it. Still going but not doing rides, walk into Epcot, 1 park for 2 days, and will try to enjoy the F&W like we have for years. We have cut back drastically on trips. First visit was in '72 as a 19 yo and it was so much fun...now it seems like work.

Off soapbox...

I am always amazed when reading replies how insensitive people can be and how easily they miss the point. They will live and die as Disney defenders.

I am by NO means a disney defender. The second Universal gets a timeshare with the same perks as their deluxe resorts and something similar to rundisney, I'm selling DVC and never going back. (maybe not never)

I won't be using Genie. If I go into a park (and apart from twofree DVC parties I haven't been in a WDW park, despite yearly trips, since 2015, I believe) I'll just stand in line like it was 1979.

I would think that doing things online would be *easier* than hours standing in line, or traversing the park multiple times for FPs. (when FP+ was first being discussed I thought it was going to be a digital version of plain old FPs...in the park, want a Space Mountain FP? Bring it up on your phone and snag one right then. Didn't think it would mean planning in advance.)

I speak plainly; when I get flowery it gets worse. I don't mean to be insensitive, but when someone is saying something that confuses me, I'll mention it.

I still don't understand the analogy with Steve Jobs.

He literally created apple computers and was the driving force for iphone. He was creating these things, and certainly wouldn' thave just stopped using them once he hit a certain age. Cellphones were created by people who are older than the OP. It's not a youth thing.

The OP seems to think (from their own words) that age and cellphones don't mix. By bringing up others I'm saying that it's not an age thing, it's a person thing. You don't have to lose your tech savvy as you get older. You can GAIN tech savvy any time you like, by taking some time to learn it.

I ALSO gave some good advice, FYI, if you didn't read past what you felt offended by.

Families ignoring each other because they are on their phones.

Eh, from experience, they are texting *each other*. Not ignoring at all. The uncomfortable part is that they might be texting about the person giving them judgy looks.

And if someone speaks loudly into a phone they would also speak loudly to the people at their table.

Eh, from experience, they are texting *each other*. Not ignoring at all. The uncomfortable part is that they might be texting about the person giving them judgy looks.

And if someone speaks loudly into a phone they would also speak loudly to the people at their table.

Sorry if I struck a nerve. Not judging, just observation. I'm old enough to remember how quiet restaurants were before cell phone usage. And, people using the conversation on speaker is beyond rude..IMHO. I think cell phones have made people speak louder than they normally would. World in general has gotten louder...again, my opinion.

My parents are in the same boat as you, they don't want to embrace technology. The first time they went to Disney, it was a total fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants trip. They had no room reservation, no tickets, nothing. They were confused and had to drive to 2-3 different resorts before they found someone to get them all setup. This was in 2010. It's gotten so much more cumbersome since then. Maybe you could consider a park-hopper ticket so you can choose. But even that comes with caveats (not to mention a hefty price tag).

Might I suggest the competitor down the street? Check out some Harry Potter scenery. ;)

I have a wheelchair bound relative and we took a trip that I fear might be our last. Without ME and the baggage help, I just don't think we can physically do it.

That's really sad to me and so many families of the disabled.

The necessity of using your phone at the parks is probably here to stay but I understand how that could be frustrating if you aren’t comfortable with technology. However, I think that most of the replies are focusing on the technological aspect and missing some of the other concerns. I agree with the OP. The park reservation system sucks, especially the fact that you can’t park hop until 2. I can’t tell you the number of times that we walked out of our room at the Contemporary planning to go to HS, looked at a long bus line, and decided to go to MK instead. We would also do something like to go to MK for rope drop and then go to Epcot for lunch. Those options are a thing of the past.

We never used ME but we used Minnie Vans all of the time. That option is also a thing of the past. We scheduled fast passes three months (I think it was three months) in advance so that we would be sure to be able to ride at least three rides in a day. Again, that‘s a thing of the past.

Another thing that seems to be missing is the energy of the place. When we went to the Halloween party the energy of the guests was amazing. When the buildings lit up on Main Street and you could hear Somebody’s Watching Me people were so excited. At Chef Mickey’s, when they played the music and twirled napkins in the air, people were energized. Now, it seems like those things get a half hearted smile out of the guests. It’s a different place now and there are lots of losses. IMO, it’s not worth it to go now.
Thank you. I didn't realize I was concentrating on technology. I guess I was trying to vent my frustration on the cut backs, the loss of perks, the need to utilize technology rather than just not. I have read replies that told me to get a phone and utilize a porter and hire a cab, and, and, and, etc. That would be fine if Disney had lowered their prices because they have cut back on their perks and services but they didn't. Now I am expected to pay more at Disney for less and then spend more for a phone service, cab, porter, etc. to enjoy what we have had for years. A comment told me not to rely on a Cast Member's info and assistance when making my decisions. If I can't rely on them, who can I call? When you travel with a handicapped person, you don't just "take a chance". You need to have things planned out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter