• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Well, I did it and I feel terrible about it.

Pmlocke

Peter Locke
Well I did it. My wife and I have decided not to resume our annual trip to WDW next February due to the myriad of changes we have seen that now exist at our favorite place and we feel sick about it. My biggest complaint is the need to make a reservation for a park. I talked to a Disney Rep yesterday and it seems that the reservations will be here for awhile. My wife and I are in our late 60's and we enjoy waking up in the morning and deciding what park to visit after our breakfast. That decision is based on the weather and what we feel like experiencing that day. We also do not do the "electronic" thing. No cell phone, no I-Pad, nothing. We like to walk around and enjoy the parks at our leisure. Now you have to call in your quick serve food order. I am worried about the transportation phase as well. It was comforting knowing I got off the plane, walked down to Magical Express and got to the hotel. Without a phone or ability to text, I am told getting an uber is not happening. The bus service is there but it was explained to me it could take hours before I get to our hotel. The bags always showed up in our room in a matter of hours. That is now gone. My wife is relegated to a wheelchair so going to pick up our bags adds another hardship. Our "Happiest Place on Earth" has suddenly become Not-So Friendly. I understand that the youth of today exist for their phones or whatever you want to call your communications device. But can't we who choose to just take it easy and enjoy the parks not be burdened because we don't have those devices?

Sorry you feel you can’t visit in the near future. But cell phones is not a “youth” thing. It’s the way we all function in society these days and it’s not going away. You can always get a throw away phone for a few days to use in the parks. Also, it doesn’t take hours to get to your hotel from the parks.

Not a comment on your cancelling - that's a personal decision for everyone and there's no right or wrong.

But about new technology - you are young, in your 60's. Unfortunately I think you are going to see more and more reliance on phones/tablets for everything from here on out, not just Disney. It's just changing times...

Keep in mind, if you're going to the parks in February, it's not out of the question that you could make a late switch from one park to another by stopping by the front desk of your resort - it might bring a little more flexibility for your trip. Make a MK reservation now, but change it to EP that day if that's what you prefer.... With a little checking (perhaps with a travel agent), there are paid services available that will get your luggage to your hotel and/or back to the airport.... And there still are old-fashioned taxis you can take back and forth to the airport (although I will tell you I do not have experience with how that works with a wheelchair, so perhaps that is not a good option).

Agree with others, though. The tech today is not just for the young. Many places you might do vacations in lieu of WDW will likely require some sort of tech to interact.

Understand why you might've cancelled. Hope you come back again soon!

I own a smartphone but my life doesn't revolve around it. Companies who sell phones and/or software try to make it seem like you are somehow being 'left behind' if you aren't constantly using their wonderful/amazing products to run your life.......but most adults realize that is called marketing. Peddling constantly upgraded versions of their phones is a way for them to generate revenue. I mostly use my phone to make phone calls, might read an email when not at home and occasionally for texting. I think some technology is useful to have and makes things easier, but you need to separate the clever marketing pitches from what is actually useful for the way you live.

I own a smartphone but my life doesn't revolve around it. Companies who sell phones and/or software try to make it seem like you are somehow being 'left behind' if you aren't constantly using their wonderful/amazing products to run your life.......but most adults realize that is called marketing. Peddling constantly upgraded versions of their phones is a way for them to generate revenue. I mostly use my phone to make phone calls, might read an email when not at home and occasionally for texting. I think some technology is useful to have and makes things easier, but you need to separate the clever marketing pitches from what is actually useful for the way you live.
I can make calls with it, too? I'll have to check that out!

But seriously, marketing has nothing to do with my use of my smartphone. It's an amazing way for me to simply stay in touch with kids at college and family across the country. A text here, an email there, and the occasional call. It doesn't run my life, but it does make things a lot easier sometimes. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone, and it's certainly not a requirement to live!

Well I did it. My wife and I have decided not to resume our annual trip to WDW next February due to the myriad of changes we have seen that now exist at our favorite place and we feel sick about it. My biggest complaint is the need to make a reservation for a park. I talked to a Disney Rep yesterday and it seems that the reservations will be here for awhile. My wife and I are in our late 60's and we enjoy waking up in the morning and deciding what park to visit after our breakfast. That decision is based on the weather and what we feel like experiencing that day. We also do not do the "electronic" thing. No cell phone, no I-Pad, nothing. We like to walk around and enjoy the parks at our leisure. Now you have to call in your quick serve food order. I am worried about the transportation phase as well. It was comforting knowing I got off the plane, walked down to Magical Express and got to the hotel. Without a phone or ability to text, I am told getting an uber is not happening. The bus service is there but it was explained to me it could take hours before I get to our hotel. The bags always showed up in our room in a matter of hours. That is now gone. My wife is relegated to a wheelchair so going to pick up our bags adds another hardship. Our "Happiest Place on Earth" has suddenly become Not-So Friendly. I understand that the youth of today exist for their phones or whatever you want to call your communications device. But can't we who choose to just take it easy and enjoy the parks not be burdened because we don't have those devices?
I understand your wanting to cancel, as having to deal with so many things that are different from how they used to be can feel overwhelming. Too many people can be almost dismissive of those who don't embrace technology, but I feel it is often a case of not knowing where to start when you have not spent your entire life using computers and smart phones. However, I feel confident that if you can navigate through the airport, you can learn the basics of a phone to navigate Disney. Is there a younger family member that you could ask to help you get started? If not, a local store that sells phones should be willing to give you basic guidance on use, but you have to be willing to take the step to do that. My parents are in their 80's and both use computers, i pads, and i phones (that we gave them when we upgraded). You might be surprised at how easy it is to do basic things, which is all you would need for a Disney trip. You can take a cab from the airport to your resort by going to the taxi stand, if your wife can transfer to a vehicle. There are probably taxis available that can accommodate a person in a wheelchair, but you would need to check with the person at the taxi stand if you did not want to try to make prior arrangements for that. Once you reach the hotel, let them know that you require assistance with luggage so you don't have to carry it yourself. Park reservations can typically be changed, so you should be able to do that before going out for the day if you want to change your original choice. I believe you can still walk up to place orders at most, if not all, quick service restaurants. As Farro said above, you are young - in your 60's - and I think you can do all of this. Try not to feel overwhelmed, take one step at a time to get a basic cell phone and learn how it operates, and get ready to go back to your happy place. Best of luck.

I feel sad for you both. Every time there is a new thing that requires a smartphone I always think about the folks who don't have one or can't use one of don't know how. That can certainly be overwhelming. Have you considered maybe doing a trip to Universal? There is minimal planning and while it's "not Disney" a trip there is super relaxing very enjoyable. I wish you guys the best.

I'm sorry you decided not to go. If you change your mind in the future, there are town car services that will pick you up at the airport and take you back. There are always people at the airport and the resorts who will help with luggage transfers. You could probably take a chance and not make park reservations ahead of time, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As far as technology goes, that is not going away. I agree with previous posters who encourage you to learn about it, either from family or often a local library can help. I took a short class at my library to learn how to download e-books to my iPad. A cell phone is great if only for emergency purposes, but it sure makes it easier to get around in unfamiliar driving situations too!

Steve Jobs who created Apple would have been 66 if he were still alive. My almost 80 year old aunt, father, and stepfather all use their cellphones easily. I rented a condo for 8 years in a building that was an unofficial retirement building up to the point when people were moving to Arizona and renting out their units, and almost everyone there, including my 95 year old neighbor, used cellphones. I do not understand the connection you're making between age and cellphones.

I talked to a Disney Rep yesterday and it seems that the reservations will be here for awhile.

No customer-facing Disney rep has a clue what the company will do in two days, let alone 6 months.

Now you have to call in your quick serve food order.

I...don't think that's true.

Without a phone or ability to text, I am told getting an uber is not happening.

There are taxicabs.

My wife is relegated to a wheelchair so going to pick up our bags adds another hardship.

Find a porter at baggage claim, tip them to get your bags off of the conveyor and then walk with you to the taxi stand. They might even load them into the taxi.

We are DVC owners so we aren't stopping our trips any time soon, but we feel OPs pain. Several times a day Im hit with a pang, like a loss has occurred. It just feels like the magic is being sucked right away. The place we loved to go to just doesn't exist right now. For us it was Genie+/Lightening Lane that really pushed us over the edge. Ive been trying to mostly avoid Disney sites and put it out of my mind and hope these feelings pass as the new ways become common. But for now it all still really stinks. We just have to know as uber fans we aren't Disneys target market. The target market are the ones who do 1 or 2 big Disney trips in a lifetime and dont mind as much if they spend a bit more or don't realize when something has changed(for better or worse).

I feel it is often a case of not knowing where to start when you have not spent your entire life using computers and smart phones.

Sure, but I had my Nokia 5110 phone in the late 90s. The OP wouldn't have even been 50 in 1998 when that phone came out. I'm currently 51 and am learning new things all the time. Yes, I still have an iphone 7, but that's because I prioritize my money on other things than the latest gadget. I'm sure I'll get something newer soonish.

When I lived at the condo I mentioned in my other response, my son was 4, and we left when my son was 12. He absolutely loved our neighbors. When he got into Star Wars he talked about it to the neighbors like it was something they had never seen. Several of them had to remind him that they were George Lucas' age and saw it with their kids when it came out. Our neighbor in his 90s saw it with his grandkids. (they, of course, were very kind and let him talk about lightsaber battles and make all the sound effects, but they had heard it ALL before) It was such a good reminder to stay young at heart.

Sure, but I had my Nokia 5110 phone in the late 90s. The OP wouldn't have even been 50 in 1998 when that phone came out. I'm currently 51 and am learning new things all the time. Yes, I still have an iphone 7, but that's because I prioritize my money on other things than the latest gadget. I'm sure I'll get something newer soonish.

When I lived at the condo I mentioned in my other response, my son was 4, and we left when my son was 12. He absolutely loved our neighbors. When he got into Star Wars he talked about it to the neighbors like it was something they had never seen. Several of them had to remind him that they were George Lucas' age and saw it with their kids when it came out. Our neighbor in his 90s saw it with his grandkids. (they, of course, were very kind and let him talk about lightsaber battles and make all the sound effects, but they had heard it ALL before) It was such a good reminder to stay young at heart.
That still doesn’t change the fact that some people have not had as much exposure as others and may feel intimidated and overwhelmed about trying to learn. My hope is that the OP realizes they are not too old to start and to not let fear or other negative feelings stop them from trying.

The necessity of using your phone at the parks is probably here to stay but I understand how that could be frustrating if you aren’t comfortable with technology. However, I think that most of the replies are focusing on the technological aspect and missing some of the other concerns. I agree with the OP. The park reservation system sucks, especially the fact that you can’t park hop until 2. I can’t tell you the number of times that we walked out of our room at the Contemporary planning to go to HS, looked at a long bus line, and decided to go to MK instead. We would also do something like to go to MK for rope drop and then go to Epcot for lunch. Those options are a thing of the past.

We never used ME but we used Minnie Vans all of the time. That option is also a thing of the past. We scheduled fast passes three months (I think it was three months) in advance so that we would be sure to be able to ride at least three rides in a day. Again, that‘s a thing of the past.

Another thing that seems to be missing is the energy of the place. When we went to the Halloween party the energy of the guests was amazing. When the buildings lit up on Main Street and you could hear Somebody’s Watching Me people were so excited. At Chef Mickey’s, when they played the music and twirled napkins in the air, people were energized. Now, it seems like those things get a half hearted smile out of the guests. It’s a different place now and there are lots of losses. IMO, it’s not worth it to go now.

while I certainly sympathize that it''s making it more difficult for you, it's not going to go away. If you can navigate yourself around the internet and figure out these message boards I have 100% confidence you can figure out the Disney app and Uber. I understand that not everyone wants to be reliant on cell phones, but I also do not understand why as you get older, and your wife has health issues, you would not want a cell phone in case of an emergency, especially when traveling. You don't have to go all out and get the latest and greatest phone with all the fancy options. There are a ton of options aimed at seniors that offer lower cost, simple to learn technology. If you choose not to use things that are available, I feel like thats just being stubborn and I don't feel bad if you let stubbornness keep you from Disney.

We are DVC owners so we aren't stopping our trips any time soon, but we feel OPs pain. Several times a day Im hit with a pang, like a loss has occurred. It just feels like the magic is being sucked right away. The place we loved to go to just doesn't exist right now. For us it was Genie+/Lightening Lane that really pushed us over the edge. Ive been trying to mostly avoid Disney sites and put it out of my mind and hope these feelings pass as the new ways become common. But for now it all still really stinks. We just have to know as uber fans we aren't Disneys target market. The target market are the ones who do 1 or 2 big Disney trips in a lifetime and dont mind as much if they spend a bit more or don't realize when something has changed(for better or worse).

I agree that their target market has changed but I still think that Disney will notice a loss in revenue from loyal customers. For my family of three we typically spent around $15000 to $20000 per year at Disney over three to four trips. We loved Disney so much that it was our primary vacation spot. I encouraged our friends and family to visit WDW and helped them plan their vacations. Right now, there is a huge demand for vacations because of a year and a half of Covid restrictions combined with an influx of stimulus money for some families. Once the demand drops (not only for Disney but for vacations in general) and the free money stops rolling in then maybe Disney will notice the loss of their loyal customers. I suspect that it will be too late.

I am always amazed when reading replies how insensitive people can be and how easily they miss the point. They will live and die as Disney defenders. For one thing the original poster was making the point that Disney no longer gives people choices. There are no options or flexibility. Also, all people in their late sixties are not created equal as far as technology goes. Operating a cell phone and playing around with apps are two different things. Sure there are people in their nineties that are advanced as far as technology. But that would be the exception and how they have been taught primarily by their children. I still don't understand the analogy with Steve Jobs. I do understand the original posters connection between cellphones and age. Some peoples lives don't center around them. People need to have a little compassion and understanding. Some times the simple things in life result in the most enjoyment.

Sorry you feel you can’t visit in the near future. But cell phones is not a “youth” thing. It’s the way we all function in society these days and it’s not going away. You can always get a throw away phone for a few days to use in the parks. Also, it doesn’t take hours to get to your hotel from the parks.
I'm 32. Its not a youth movement. I don't mind some of the phone apps that are convenient. But at the same time I also don't want to be on my phone a majority of my Vacation. I'm on "Vacation". I want to see the moments not have my head down the whole time. I will tell you, I'll use a magic band for as long as I can instead of having to always be on my phone. There's a balance between planning and planning every second of your day. We go to disney every year for 10-15 days. I'm not new. We've gone 20 times over my life. Its getting to a point where too much is done through the app.

I completely get where you are coming from, even though I am a phone reliant person I do like to disconnect when on vacation so I sometimes cringe when Disney rolls out yet another way I have to stay glued to my phone for my trip. I'm about to go on my 7th trip since reopening, so here are some observations that maybe could help if you wanted a way to enjoy the parks without being tied to tech and enjoying some flexibility in your schedule. For starters, try going during a slower period when the reservations are wide open (I'm sure late January after MLK day but before Presidents weekend in February will be perfect), that way you can make reservations but if you wake up and want to do something different you can change them. You can go down to the concierge desk in the lobby and they can help you in the morning, I've seen them help many people over my stays with this, it's very quick. For ordering food at QS restaurants you don't have to mobile order, they do have an option where you can go to the counter and order, you just need to explain to the CM at the door that you don't have a phone and need to order at the counter. I've also just seen people say "I need to pay in cash" and they're let right in, they leave a register open just for this. For TS they do have an online check in option, but you can still check in at hostess stand. For the airport, it may be easier and just as much money to hire a car service to pick you up. They will often meet you and can help with your luggage, you can also ask for assistance at the airport, they're always happy to provide it! I've traveled several times alone with small kids and just can't do the luggage alone, so I always looked for help. You can arrive in comfort and style to your resort, and then bell services can assist you with luggage from there.

I hate to see people give up on things because of tech, especially going to places they've always loved going. Just know there are ways around the tech stuff, it's definitely not needed at all to have an amazing vacation right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter