Welcome to WISH-topia! March 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

What's yours? How do you manage that temptation? Are there healthier substitutes that you have made on your journey to a healthier you?

Bonus: If you've seen the movie, who's your favorite character?

When I am tempted to eat just because I am looking for some pleasure, stress relief or boredom I try to fight the desire by telling myself I will eat when I am hungry and look for other ways to entertain myself or relax. Food is not very good in delivering lasting entertainment or stress relief anyway

When I feel like something like pizza, I get it as part of my meal and still track it. I do things as get side salad, moderate portion, cook lighter version but I don't have any banned foods. I try to make all my meals fun. If I eat boring meals I will crave more after the meal.

Another good day yesterday! Did my steps, stayed within my calories, I enjoyed my meals, I wore a favorite dress and I felt good about myself

I'm in for March. I am determined to break out of this funk I have been in lately. If I keep to myself I am never going to do that.

I'm Melanie a SAHM to 5 kids from 2 to 10. I am a runner who just signed up for her 2nd marathon. My long term goals are to lose 50lbs and improve my running.

My goal this month is to lose 5lbs and get a new PR at the half I'm running in New Orleans at the end of the month.

My kryptonite is also sugar. I cannot say no or stop when it comes to anything sweet. To manage that I try not to keep sugary treats in the house. I also have been sharing with my kids more. I use to eat a whole king size candy bar alone but now I break it into pieces and give a little to each kid so we all get a taste without going overboard.

Bonus- My favorite character would have to be Judy. I just love how clever and determined she is.

I changed my screen saver to a picture of a Texan Long Horn sleeping in a field of Blue Bonnets, and am starting to get excited about Texas in the spring, which is helping me get motivated about my weight loss goal for the month!

That's exciting-- and great that your have a trip to motivate you! Trips definitely can help push you :-)

I love white cake with white frosting, Tagalongs, Peanut Butter M & M's, dove chocolate, malley's chocolate (a local place) and oreo's. Oh and I can not forget cookie dough and doughnuts. I just do not buy them or make them that often. Over Christmas with making cookies was good with only eating a little bit of cookie dough. We will see what happens when I get the 5 boxes of Tagalongs here soon. Ugh to many friends kids were selling them. I will share with the kids though so that will help. Hopefully I will be better at control then last year. I ate a whole box one night.

Did I write this?! This sounds just like me LOL And the girl scout cookies..... I just have no control. The new s'mores ones.... OMG! I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself so I didn't buy them--- and low and behold my MIL got me a box and delivered to my desk. :sad2: They were so good though!

The second obstacle is that I'm going to be travelling to St. Louis with my boss and my coworker for a couple of days in two weeks. That's going to throw off my eating and my routine. So I need to be aware of when I'm working out and what I'm putting into my body.

Sounds like you're off to a good start planning to plan for your trip!

My kryptonite is definitely Cheeze-It crackers. I can eat a whole box in just a few days. They were always my "snack" at work and I'd bring in the whole box and it would be gone in just a few days. Now, I just don't buy them. I know they have the 100 calorie packs that I could buy to help with portions, but I'm sure knowing myself, I'd just eat the whole box of them! Now, for my snack I bring in pretzels, so I still get my salty fix, but I could them out each morning and just bring in one serving, so that's all that's available. I've found that I actually enjoy them instead of mindlessly eating the crackers like I used to do.

I had to LOL at this. Sounds just like DH. He would buy a box and by the time I decided I wanted a few they were GONE! They don't come in the house often now because of that. Or either just a small bag on a trip. They are so addictive!

I have also gone to the more premium brands when I do buy some so that I feel satisfied with just a little bit. Once in a while I will pick up some carob chips at the health food store though just like chocolate they have a tendency to melt if too warm.

This is so true! Sometimes I do this for certain foods too -- and I know it's a mental thing, but my portions are cut back drastically when I think about the cost of some of those premium brands!

I don't buy it at the grocery store so that cuts down on the temptation

Love it--Very simple solution!

but I had a Dr appt this morning, and by their scale I'm down 20 lbs from last year

:banana:

Kryptonite? Whatever everyone ELSE is eating! On my own, I don't want bacon-cheesy-ranch fries, would never even think of them... until someone is munching them right in front of me! Luckily they have all been on burgers and ice cream for a while now, and those don't tempt me...

Yes! This is so true! Sometimes the thought of those foods aren't so tempting, but then the smell..... Glad it hasn't been tempting you recently though!

It may have something to do with the kid who said to me today "your not pregnant are you?" To which I replied "nope just overweight".

Oh no! Kids say the darndest things, huh? ..... :rolleyes2 Hope you didn't let it get to you :flower:

When I am tempted to eat just because I am looking for some pleasure, stress relief or boredom I try to fight the desire by telling myself I will eat when I am hungry and look for other ways to entertain myself or relax. Food is not very good in delivering lasting entertainment or stress relief anyway

Very insightful. As always :) You're absolutely right. It's hard to remember to look at it like that sometimes, but if I can, I think that I can revolutionize my relationship with food.

I'm in for March. I am determined to break out of this funk I have been in lately. If I keep to myself I am never going to do that.

Yay! Welcome back!

Question of the Day: March 3

Friday Fun!!!

tumblr_olurftbstb1ry12jjo1_500.gif
tumblr_o4afyqsbOq1v9enl8o1_500.gif

These animals love to Move it, Shake it, and Celebrate it (recognize that street party/parade?!)!

What song just makes you have to get up and dance? What's your favorite type of music?

Checking in for the first week! I lost 5 lbs this week (thank you water weight!) so I'm at 56% of my goal. Obviously I don't expect to see such high results through the rest of the month so this puts me at a great place to meet my goal!

Question of the Day: March 3

Friday Fun!!!

tumblr_olurftbstb1ry12jjo1_500.gif
tumblr_o4afyqsbOq1v9enl8o1_500.gif

These animals love to Move it, Shake it, and Celebrate it (recognize that street party/parade?!)!

What song just makes you have to get up and dance? What's your favorite type of music?

I listen to county. Any fast pace upbeat song can get me moving. I have been know to embarrass my daughter a few times in the grocery store with dancing. Maybe not all out dancing like the above pictures but enough that she hates it.

++++++++++++

The past 2 days have been not so good days. Eating and working out has been fine though which is good. Yesterday my daughter woke up with a 100.4 temp so we kept her home from school. She seemed fine as the day went on which is good. She lost a dollar in allowance this week for not doing vision therapy on Wednesday. She blamed it on me and got very angry. She has a bit of a temper. I sent her to her room. She refused to eat dinner with us and then I left to workout. She has a google hangout account and was sending me some mean messages with a lot off attitude. I got a lot of I am the worst mom and she hates me. When I told her to knock it off the attitude started with what are you going to do about it. She is very lucky I was not home. I did tell her that if she did not stop that her dad would take away her electronics. She shaped up after that. Heaven forbid she couldn't watch April the Giraffe on You Tube. We had a long talk about her temper when we got home and I am hoping it works to get her temper under control.

Today we have snow and lots of it. We now have more snow in the month of March then in February. The last time this happened was in 2008. I tried to drive into work but the roads were super bad, snow covered and icy. I was able to get off the highway and take the train into work. I now just need to remember to get of the train a stop before my normal one. We are looking at getting about 6-8 inches of snow. We are also having thunder and lighting too. It was a crazy morning. Took me over an hour longer to get to work. Hopefully the afternoon will be better. We are under a Lake Effect snow warning until like 9 tonight. This might be the most snow at one time all winter. Tonight I won't get to go to the rec because the kids have some activities at there schools but it will be a fun night.

Ah music... I just don't have enough of it in my life. I listen to country in the car... can't believe I'm saying that out loud as I hate, hate, hated country growing up. It was like the only kind of music I refused to listen to. Now I like the narrative/story telling nature of most of the songs. But being as I'm listening in the car I can't exactly get up and dance around. My Sister did the driving for our beach trip and so had control of the music and she played her CD's the entire way. She's a very nostalgic/backward looking person, so the CD's were of classic folk tunes (we grew up on folk music, so didn't mind), Willie Nelson's greatest hits (like from the 70's and 80's but hey, it was country) and Harry Chapin (wanted to rip my ears off, but she on the other hand actually wants to go to Scranton PA to see the hill where the truck with 30,000 pounds of bananas crashed).

A couple times I've been on People Mover while the dance party was going on across from Astral Orbitor. One of these trips I'm going to drop my shyness and go dance with Mr. Incredible... have to admit he makes my heart go pitterpatter just a little bit. And he's a pretty good dancer.

Got on the scale this morning - holy cow, that's a number I've never seen before. No wonder none of my clothes fit. But it gives me my starting point, so here we go. This weekend I am going to sew several things, so I have something to wear to work next week. I always wear a shawl type scarf in the office, because it's a tad bit cold by the windows, so I probably look like I'm wearing the same thing everyday anyway.

Saturday is errand running day and then Sunday is stick around the house day. Snow is predicted again for Sunday, what the what?!? I heard yesterday that we've had more snow this winter than Chicago... that's just wrong.

Hope all have a happy and healthful weekend.

PS: I heard the word "kryptonite" three times yesterday, in totally unrelated context... what's up with that?

Last edited:

Oh no! Kids say the darndest things, huh? ..... :rolleyes2 Hope you didn't let it get to you :flower:

Thanks - no not too much - the kids I work with have even less of a filter than typical kids - can't really blame them for calling it how they see it - especially when its true.

What song just makes you have to get up and dance? What's your favourite type of music?

I really don't dance that much anymore - I used to love it! A recent song that makes me feel like dancing is 'Can't Stop The Feeling" by JT from Trolls. Other songs that bring back memories of dancing at parties include Footloose, Nutbush City Limits, The Time Warp oooh I almost forgot American Pie we did not have a family party growing up where that didn't have all us up and grooving - yep showing my age here I know lol - in my 20s I had a group of friends and we had an ABBA song that was our signature song to dance to and we called ourselves the Awesome Foursome - I think it was Mamma Mia. I guess my go to music is really rock/pop but I do like some Country Music - but also older favourites - I grew up listening to my Mum's favourites like Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Neil Diamond, John Denver, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Motown artists etc.

Interestingly DD had an interest in country music sparked from watching Hart of Dixie and then listening to more of the artists songs she saw on there through Spotify and she has a thing for Keith Urban at the moment.

I have been know to embarrass my daughter a few times in the grocery store with dancing. Maybe not all out dancing like the above pictures but enough that she hates it.

Love it! A good friend and I embarrassed our teen boys at an outdoor Imagine Dragons concert a couple of years ago with our "Mum Dancing" :dancer::rotfl: that made it even more fun!

I just bought the Moana soundtrack and it has been playing non stop in our house for a week now. It is so catchy and makes me want to dance. My taste in music is all over the place. As a family we normally listen to contemporary christian. When I am alone I like to mix things up, especially when I am running. I listen to mostly faster paced and some girl power songs like Britney Spears or Katy Perry. I love X Ambassadors' Renegades. I think my favorite type of music is Alternative (is that what it is still called? That's what it was in high school).

I'm really not much of a dancer, but probably the 2 songs that make me do some type of dance are Happy by Pharrell Williams and I Gotta Feeling (Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night) by Black Eyed Peas. I just love both of those songs as a pick me up.

I enjoy most kinds of music, but probably listen to contemporary christian the most - it's what I always have on in the car which is when I usually listen to the radio. I also listen to country and soft rock (I guess it'd be called). I love the emotions music can bring up. I always tell my kids that life is a song. I think there's a song about mostly everything in life!

Great question - I love music and dancing but don't limit myself to type! I can dance on anything - from Imagine Dragons to Ricky Martin, and I like some European non English music as Kendji Girac too, Justin Timbarlake happy is fun, Pink. It will be hard to come up with one song only!

I went over my calories yesterday. Not by much. I want to reduce the days I go over in general but I am feeling ok about it - it was lovely meal and I had good workout before the meal. My dessert was watermelon and few dried mangoes when I went home, I had one glass of prosseco only

Going to the seawater pool & spa area this morning! Will hit the gym with leg day workout, walk on the treadmill followed by an hour at least chill out time. Can't wait! I have been wanting to go for the last 2 months but too busy every single weekend this year!

I will also try to create little better calorie deficit for today to makeup for the little over yesterday.

Have a super healthy and fun weekend all!

Question of the Weekend: March 4 & 5

IMG_0078.PNG

In order to be a successful detective, Judy and her friends must research and find out all they can about the mammal disappearances.

Similar to the journey to becoming healthier, we have to do our own detective work and figure out how to make healthier choices and what works for your body.

IMG_0076.JPG

What have you learned or what are you researching to change about your lifestyle?

Bonus: What specifically are you doing this weekend to help you meet your goal?

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow morning to chat. Right now I'm off to the gym and to run some errands all over the county. I guess that answers my bonus question for today: I'm going to the gym LOL

Hello everyone. I started the month feeling really lousy. Was home from work for 1.5 days twice last week (only lasted until lunch on Thursday before I had to leave again). Finally feeling improved today. Feeling lousy always makes me eat. Out of boredom, as comfort. And while I have those urges halfway under control normally, when I am sick, I lose all self control. So, I am totally scared of the scale. I was too heavy before my vacation. I know that vacation eating was not as it should have been and then I had the illness eating on top. Ugh!

The good news is: I tracked yesterday and today and have been very good with my eating! If I can get through the next two days without going off plan, I think I am back in my groove. The best about this is that it used to take me two months to get back into tracking and eating on plan (or even longer) after I had been thrown off. Now, it is a couple of days.

I hope I will feel up to getting some exercise soon as well. I loved getting back into running while I was in Florida and here spring has finally arrived, so running outside is pleasant again! I have a goal of being under 70kg (my magical barrier it seems) when we go to Japan this summer, so I need to get my act together!

What have you learned or what are you researching to change about your lifestyle?

I'm learning a lot about my lifestyle change - I just need to apply more of it.

I'm learning that I have to track to be successful. That's what I made my goal this month and I'm happy to say that I've tracked every day so far (even though it's only the 5th lol).

The thing that has surprised me this weekend is that even when I don't have very good choices, often they aren't as bad as they seem (if that makes sense). For example. Last night, we were at a benefit dinner and auction. The meal was as follows: jambalaya, fried chicken, ceasar type salad, buttered new potatoes, green beans with ham and bacon, corn bread, cookies and brownies. Not much good to choose from, but I knew going into the evening that I wasn't going to have any control over what was served, so I ate a light (but filling) lunch and hoped for the best. When we got there, I had no signal on my phone - not sure why because we really weren't that far from our home town where we have great signal - and there wasn't wifi, so I couldn't check anything on my fitness pal to see where everything would fall within my day.

To my surprise, when I got home and tracked everything, I ended up being 6 calories under for the day! I honestly couldn't believe it. I had decided that I was going to track it no matter how far off I ended up being and I guess I learned that sometimes, early planning in the day can save your evening meal even when there aren't good choices. I also learned that it doesn't kill me to skip the cookies and brownies even when they are available lol!

I had to share this with you guys, because you're the only ones who can understand...

So I heard DD9 puttering in the kitchen just now and presumed she was making a bedtime snack...and she comes out with one of our "pretty" plates we don't use as much and brings it over to me. "Here mommy, I know you can't have all the same snacks as us and you have to keep track, but I want you to have a snack. I measured it all to be sure!" And there was a scribbled little post-it note:

five strawberrys
1 teaspoon spepelda
1 cup carrots
1 teaspoon salt
4 oz cucumber

:sad: (Happy, sometimes-she's-still-cute tears...)

BTW- that spelling is all how she had it, that second one is "Splenda..." because she put all the strawberries on a kabob and then sprinkled fake sugar on them. And yes, I had plenty to eat today, and yes, those carrots were VERY salty, but I ate it all anyway, just to make her happy... well, sorta... I gave her one of the strawberries... and sure enough, she went, got a pencil, erased the "five" and wrote in "four," so I wouldn't track it wrong...

Somebody remind me of this tomorrow morning when she's screaming how much she hates me about a something trivial? ;P

This weekend I counted calories, remained in good balance, walked 34 000 steps over the 2 days, including a spin class and swim

I learned that the main thing is what can you manage to do consistently. If you aren't enjoying the food you eat, if you aren't enjoying the exercise you do, you won't keep it up

That it's not all straight sailing and you need to be able to get yourself out of a spin, back to happy place and just how it is. You can't expect you will always be motivated, it's about habits, boundaries, minimums and not motivation. You can't expect you will always have time to cook and exercise. I need flexibility

"The secret that nobody tells you about body image is that you’ll never go from thinking your thighs are disgusting to that they’re beautiful– not as long as you still believe beauty is objective."

I learned that weight loss does not equal self acceptance and self acceptance is very important for both weight loss and maintenance, and content life. Sadly most women look at themselves looking to find what is wrong with them (me including) and aren't in the habit to look with love and appreciation to what they have. We exercise and diet to get slim, we lose weight, but we still compare ourselves to 18 year old models from photoshopped magazines and we don't feel enough. We think 2 more pounds or toning exercise or bigger this or smaller that will bring us to content but it doesn't. It's kind of sad. I think a lifestyle to focus on having great energy, hugging more, being more connected, being able to do what we love to do for longer as we age are better drives. I learned that I have work to do on body acceptance, but I am not sure how to go about it as not being able to accept myself as I am have been my normal since I was probably about 13 year old.

I highly recommend the movie embrace, it's really worth seeing.

I don't want to sound like it wasn't worth it, or I am not happier now maintaining compared to when I was losing weight. I love not having to buy new clothes all the time as all clothes in my wardrobe fit. I am more confident, I sleep better, my skin is better, how I eat feels very right for me. My activity and tendency to over do it with exercise is still there, but good progress is made

It's just losing the weight this time made me aware of bad habits I have developed in term of self acceptance. And it also made me aware that literally 90% of the women I know don't feel good about their bodies regardless of their size and the only women I know that are content are over 70.

Question of the Weekend: March 4 & 5

View attachment 223479

In order to be a successful detective, Judy and her friends must research and find out all they can about the mammal disappearances.

Similar to the journey to becoming healthier, we have to do our own detective work and figure out how to make healthier choices and what works for your body.

View attachment 223478

I think the thing I have learned the most is that I need to move. Sitting at a desk all day I have to make an effort to move. I need to get up throughout the day and just get a little walk in, then work out when I get home.

This week was a busy one. Friday night my son had a fun night at school and my daughter had Bingo at hers that I helped with. Friday I only got about 9,000 but with getting 12,000 all week i was ok with that. Saturday my son had karate and all of the moms I talk to weren't their so I walked the track for like 2 hours. I had my 10,000 steps by the time he was done. I was also getting cramps in my legs. I really need to learn to eat before I do this. We then cleaned the house. I have been craving Dairy Queen for a few weeks so we took the kids around lunch time. Then my son had his play off basketball game. They won by like 20 points. It is the best they have played all season. We move on to the next level of the play offs. Then we had went out to dinner and then friends came over. I was exhausted by the time they left.

Yesterday we had to do our grocery shopping and then I went shopping with my daughter and my mom. I got 2 new pairs of glasses (one regular and one pair of sunglasses). I can't wait to get them but I am nervous too. This is the first time I will have a prism in my glasses. We are hoping that this helps with my headaches. I also got a new pair of jeans. I was trying to hold off a little bit in getting a new pair but the ones I have are just getting to big. I have now moved down a size. Yay!!!!! I also got a shirt to go with it and a new work out outfit. Then it came time for my daughter to shop using a gift card that she had. I think we spent more time shopping for her then we did for me. It took forever. We found a few really cute outfits, she tried them on, loved it then decided later that she did not wait it. It was so frustrating. After we finally got her to pick out some outfits we went to dinner with my mom. She can't go to many places because she has celiacs so we went to 5 guys. I love that place but their burgers are just so greasy. Than last night it all about prepping for the week. I made chicken paprikash (it was supposed to be for dinner) so we had the lunches for the week and made my sons muffins that he eats for breakfast, my husbands egg casserole for his breakfast, and brownies for my kids lunches (their request this week). I was so tired by the time I was done. I only ended up getting about 9,000 steps again.

I had a really rough night last night and was up a few times. I was up about every 2 hours. I think it might be an early night again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter