Week of Sep 18 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

kathcoll said:
I've been training for the Marine Corps marathon October 30, and then the Goofy challenge in January. So far I've just been working on the MCM training (I did a 20 miler yesterday). Come November I have to start thinking of my training schedule for Disney. Although I've done a marathon before I've never done the back-to-back races. What training schedule are you using? How do you alter the training to prep for both races?
Look at the tricharlotte.com site I so often quote. It will show the training I am doing for the WDW Goofy. :banana:

Sunny - I am running the Charlotte on Dec 3rd. I have a scheduled 22 mile run that day anyway so what is 4 more miles? :goodvibes My DD5 and DD7 are doing their last mile of the Kids Marathon that day and Dh will be there to cheer them on. The Kids Marathon is where children run 26.2 miles from Oct to Dec. The girls are REALLY excited. They think they are big :dog:s.

Christa

Christa-that kids marathon sounds so cool , my DS would love to do that

Sunny-DS7 has been getting into the walking/running thing since I have too. He hopes to do the 5k at WDW with his cousins. However even that has a min 16 minute mile. So he's in training for it. He bought a MP3 with his own money shortly after I got mine (cheap one from Wal Mart) Now he's bugging me for his own Garmin. (he's only 7)

perfectmatch- I'm in the process of getting my house ready to sell. I've already found the house I want so if everything goes as planned I will be moving not only during my key training time but during the holidays :earseek:
I feel your pain & am dreading mine!

Melissa-that is some adventure race you are doing. Good luck. If it were me doing all that I would be afraid I was going to die :rotfl2:

Everyone get healthy & stop banging up those legs!

Did my three miles tonight and kept it uner 12 min/mile pace (34:06).

Next week I'll be upping the miles to 4.

Trying not to sound clueless :confused3 , what is a Garmin?

Terri

princessmomma said:
Hi Lily,

Would your family be taking buses or driving to the finish line out in front of EPCOT? I am wondering if my family could see me on the Broadwalk and then get over to the finish line in time.

Colleen

No---there is only less than 2 miles left in the race. If they have tickets, they can enter the park...and meet you after you finish. There isn't enough time to witness your finish though.

They'll have to pick one or the other.

plutosmyfav said:

WDW veterans, what is the best strategy to get my Dx and DS to the finish line. They won't be supported me through the race, but I'd like to have them at the finish in a reasonable window to when I should cross. Dx isn't a crowds person and DS is wild so I don't want to direct them there too early. Do they walk from Epcot's parking lot? I'm not exactly sure how its laid out.

Thanks!
Sunny

You need an estimated finish time...best, okay, and worst case scenario..and a cell phone.

When you get to the halfway point..they will need to make their way to bus transportation.....

If they are on monorail...by the time you get to MK would be good. They can roam the parking lot at EPCOT away from the congestion....and then you can call them when you enter EPCOT.

My mother--stood..when facing the back of the grandstands...all the way to the right...there was a very unpopulated nook...that she stood in and as I came around the corner...there she was. Not quite the finish line (a few feet away....) but a great place for a last second cheering section.

If traveling by bus, your family will need to allow for a minimum of 2 hours traveling time. No idea the allowable time needed for monorail.

I went straight to the med tent after crossing the finish line...so I do not know about reuniting with family at the finish. (I had the flu...so this is not indicative of a healthy race!).

TEK224 said:

Terri

A wrist-wearable GPS.

It calculates your time, but also your distance, and pacing.

It is--shall I say...a REALLY cool gadget even for the non-techno weenie :). First gadget and probably the last I'll ever ask for.

No more--having to drive the car plotting paths or to figure out what I did.

This weekend...we were on a course with the last season team who was doing their 20 mile...we had a couple of people miss a water stop (didn't see it for some reason) and kept on going...and probably ended up doing a half marathon instead of just an 8-mile training day. OOPS!

For me--it helps me monitor my pace b/c I very easily drop of my pace..and during the race, I leave the gate too fast and I can see that and I will slow up a bit.

Christa,

Thank you! I've been looking all over for a workable training for the double!

Also, where exactly is the fininsh line area? I know it's in the Epcot parking area, but how far from, say, the front entrance where the buses would normally drop you off if going into Epcot?

Trying to plan where friends will be able to catch a glimpse of me.

Terri

TEK224 said:

Terri

Oh you'll be sorry you asked! (or at least your pocket book will be!). You'll soon "just gotta have it"!!!!

In addition to what Lisa wrote, the 201 and 301 Forerunners compute your calorie burn (estimated) and will give you altitude profiles for your runs (scroll back to the beginning of this thread and you'll see the altitude profiles for two of my paths). The 301 will also keep track of your heart rate. I have the 201 and love it. You can set it to automatically keep track of laps (what ever distance you want a lap to be). You can also set it to "virtual trainer" where a little guy runs on the screen showing you if you are behind or ahead of your goal pace. Its just toooooooo fun!

I wasn't up for any running or ct yesterday. I did upper body weights. I'm not sure if I'll do my lower body weights today. The left knee was calling "timeout" yesterday, not sure how it feels yet today. I might opts for rowing for my cardio today. The weekend caught up with me!

Sunny

Good morning. Sorry to hear we have a few "owies" from the weekend. Krista, your experience sounds scary and could have been so much worse! Gald you are doing OK. Congrats on the big Steelers win Sunday :) !

I did my long run on Saturday - 6.6 miles in 1:34 but it was pure torture. The humidity jumped way up last weekend and I sure felt it. This Saturday I'll do 7.2 miles. My plan is to get to 10.5 miles by the first week of November then just hold there and work on speed. As of now I am well ahead of the sweeper. (thanks to whoever posted a link to the info for the pacing requirements!)

Christa and Bree - Did you guys run Saturday morning? I passed a couple of runners and one looked like Christa from the picture you posted a few weeks ago. Just wondered if it might have been you guys. I was in Myers Park on the road that cuts through to Providence where the water station is around 8:15 or so.

Lisa - I am curious about how to tell my group to find me at the finish as well. We are at the Beach Club. Is there a bus that will take them to the area? I also am wondering how I can get to WWOS to pick up my packet on Friday. We won't have a car. Worse comes to worst we can cab it.

Have a great week everybody. Panthers at Dolphins this weekend. GO PANTHERS! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Susan

In what range do you keep your heartrate low, mid or in the upper range? For training, 1/2 or the full?

Thanks

Angela

Lisa, if my family is at Epcot, can they exit the main gate and walk to the finish (or near finish as you described) easily?

I decided to do lower body weigths and abs. No knee pain at all, yeah! BUT I managed to pull my back. I can't remember the last time I had back pain (I used to have chronic back pain before losing weight). Ouch. I took Advil and hope it goes away ASAP.

Angela-- I only check my heart rate on the TM since there's a built in bar to hold and do it. I generally am high according to my age heart rate zone unless I'm doing an easy run then I am usually low. I don't hit middle too often.

TEK224 said:
Also, where exactly is the fininsh line area? I know it's in the Epcot parking area, but how far from, say, the front entrance where the buses would normally drop you off if going into Epcot?

Trying to plan where friends will be able to catch a glimpse of me.

Terri

Lisa - I am curious about how to tell my group to find me at the finish as well. We are at the Beach Club. Is there a bus that will take them to the area? I also am wondering how I can get to WWOS to pick up my packet on Friday. We won't have a car. Worse comes to worst we can cab it.

The finish....if you were to exit the park through the turnstiles....instead of exiting..you run to the right...behind the building that houses the kennel (and I think the wheelchairs...you come out in a backstage area that crosses right into the parking lot.

Arriving by bus....guests will be on the OPPOSITE end of the parking lot...and will proceed walking by the turnstiles and by the kennel...into the parking lot area. They may have to cross the tram area to get into the actual parking area. The finish is located adjacent to wear guests dropping off pets for the kennel would park. (Very easy to walk to BTW as cabs will still have to drop you off in designated areas)

Busses all over WDW will be running...but they will take a long time. However--by the "finish time"...the roads that the busses would use from beach club....shouldn't have any trouble driving around. But lots of buffer is wise in the travel time.

Basically knowing your pace--and where you are at is very important. You can use your phone call to report if you are ahead of or behind pace.

My hubby was supposed to see me at MK...and I didn't see him at all. I didn't have a phone, but used my sisters phone at a water stop. She had told me that they were still en route (stuck on a bus for well over an hour...probably close to 2)....basically gave the "abort mission" command...and they just hopped onto the monorail at wherever he ended up (TTC or MK, don't recall) to get to EPCOT.

Your pace will be the paramount--how you finishe your longest training run is your baseline to figure out when you expect to finish. The race starts at 6am. You expect a 5 hour finish....(11am), you want your group at the finish line by about 10:45am.

The cell phone contacts should be minimum...and used only if you find yourself way behind..or somehow way ahead of your anticipated pacing.

just my opinion..take it for what it is worth :)

My family ended up waiting a long time b/c I just basically crashed and burned due to the flu. I was almost 2 hours after my anticipated finish :(.

plutosmyfav said:
Lisa, if my family is at Epcot, can they exit the main gate and walk to the finish (or near finish as you described) easily?

They should. They would probalby walk to the LEFT upon entered World Showcase (going by way of Britain and Canada---b/c the runners go to the right and the travel paths are a bit tight)....upon exiting the main gate..they walk past the kennel (to the right)....and then over into the parking lot. They should be able to see grandstands and then walk just towards that.

Very easy.

plutosmyfav said:
Oh you'll be sorry you asked! (or at least your pocket book will be!). You'll soon "just gotta have it"!!!!

Just what I need - another gadget! :rolleyes:
I'd probably be interested in the 301 so I can keep track of HR. Any idea what these cost and where I can check one out?

Terri

Got out of class yesterday afternoon and went and did a 10+ miler. That's the max long run for the half marathon plan so I shouldn't have a problem getting through that in less than 2 weeks. I had never been to the Kennebunk Bridle Path before and was expecting a fairly wide rails-to-trails type path. Wrong, it more closely resembled single track with rocks, roots, and less than shoulder width wide in places so the Garmin was not a happy camper most of the time. I know I did over 10 and possibly closer to 10.3-10.5. I also didn't worry about pacing as it was a far different running surface than being on the roads or even most multi-use trails.

My swimmer buddy and I rode this morning(32 mi) and it took until about 22 miles into it for my legs to stop feeling yucky. We actually timed it perfectly as it started thundering as we were putting the bikes away(they both live in my apartment) and it was raining within 5 minutes. We had actually cut the ride from the planned distance so it was good that we did. Someone was questioning using clipless pedals on a mtn bike. I ride cross country so I ride with them but I also joke that it's not a good ride if I don't finish up dirty and bloody(often bruised too). I haven't spent near the time on a mtn bike that I used to before starting med school and I have a nice mtn bike. I feel bad to see it just sitting there not being ridden.

MelR- what type of doc is your husband? How does he find time to train, etc? Did that effect his specialty choice?

Keep training everyone. X-mas(and then the marathon/half/goofy) is coming.

Okay, I guess I'd better post here. My wife and I are both training for our first marathon. A friend of hers talked us into going down with her and her boyfriend to give it a go. We've always had an interest in doing some sort of competitive running ourselves (We are both cross country coaches after all), but I guess we needed a nudge to get into it. I'm sure she'll be on here to post frequently once I let her know I broke the ice. It's great to see so many people supporting each other on such a great endeavor. We're currently in week 3 of a personalized program that a former marathon coach gave us. It's been a bit rough teaching (yup, we're both teachers), going out for practice, and then coming home for our runs. The heat has also lingered a bit too long for my liking. Oh well, the end will be worth it, and I'm sure you'll hear much from us in the coming weeks. Keep at it everyone!

David

Hey guys--

Well I did my first "official" run yesterday to kick of the Hal Higdon Marathon Plan. 3 miles but I did it outdoors--whew, it kicked my butt! Haven't run in a while with my injury plus add the heat and being used to a TM. Big reality check!

I did 4m today and it was still difficult but I made it. I bought some Adidas Supernovas and wore them only to get a blister--they just don't fit my feet right. So took those back and got some Mizuno Nirvana's--hoping these work out--cost me $40 extra too! Believe it or not, after running for over two years I finally went to a real running store where they look at your stride and walk so you buy proper shoes. I've been buying nuetral shoes forever but I actually pronate inward drastically on my left foot (didn't know!). So now I'm wearing stability shoes.

So a couple questions--how do you guys keep sweat from dripping into your eyes while running. This was a BIG issue for me at the half in January--I think I was blind most of the race!

Second question, do you use a "fanny" pack while running?? I need to use one since I'm running outdoors to hold my keys and cell phone (while DD is in nursury). The pack is constantly moving, chafing, bouncing, etc. Anyone have a solution for this???

kaf7878 said:
Hey guys--

I bought some Adidas Supernovas and wore them only to get a blister--they just don't fit my feet right. So took those back.....

I wear Adidas Supernovas and they fit me perfectly--- BUT my model has aparently been retired. :guilty: So now I have to go and get fitted again and make sure the new model fits as well before buying a new pair. (sigh)

In better news, my Garmin works again!! :banana: :banana: Yippee!! I was starting to think I lost her last night (Screen froze before my run yesterday and I couldn't do anything to it, including turn in off...) So, I let the battery run out and Voila! it fixed itself! I took a quick 2-mile run just to test it out and worked like a charm. Whew.

I also seem to have developed a bit of tendonitis in my right foot. So, per the handy athletic trainer at work, I get to ice down the sore spot after each and every run. :rolleyes: I was worried it was something more serious, but luckily it wasn't. Hee, I it's been years since I've had a real sports injury, LOL!

Welcome to all the newcomers!! Glad to see our little group growing again.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

kaf7878 - on the sweat issue, which is a big one in arkansas, I use a baby rag tucked into the waist of my running shorts. It is small and soft. I also wear a terrycloth visor.

Lynn - Phil does Med/Peds. We have really just gotten into the adventure races. He started rock climbing in his last year of residency. Before that, he had an occasional weight lift program. Now he is able to keep a pretty good schedule. he generally lifts several times/week and mt. bikes single track at least once/week. We can kayak as a family (meaning with the boy) so we do that during the week. He tries to climb a couple of times a month. He does not really like to run and is not supposed to because of a previous ankle injury, but he usually does that a couple of times a week when we are getting ready for a big adventure race. In residency, it would have been a ton harder to keep up that schedule. Now he has one day where he does not see clinic patients (tues) so that is a good day to work out. I think 3 and 4 yr. of med school was pretty good as far as time. I'll bet if you asked him about residency and time, in addition to payoff, he would probably choose family medicine rather than med/peds. he now works in a family med clinic and is on the same pay scale. The residency would have been 1yr shorter and much less time consuming! All I can tell you about it is that I'm glad he is out of residency!!!! :Pinkbounc

Lisa, thanks for all the info about getting around for a families on race day. Sounds like it can get nasty.

I had my 40 minute tempo run today. I wore my new Mizuno waveriders and they felt great. I did 4.4 miles in 40 minutes, that is a new PR for
me. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc I have a little twinge in my back now, hoping advil, stretching and ice will take care of that.

Must get back to help DS with his homework... 3rd grade homework, blah!!

Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter