We were "that" family

I forgot one more. My husband had both the kids at Pinochio's trying to pick a table while I was up at the counter getting food. I was just about to order when I got about a million EMERGENCY texts from husband. He said forget the food and get out here now. Apparently my daughter was having an EPIC breakdown because my husband tried to pick the table instead of her. She was hysterical as we tried to get out of there as soon as we could. She was still hysterical when we sat outside of cosmic rays. This time I sat with the kids while he got the food

I've been with a group and we have had to utter "MANDATORY FUN" a few times :) Not always the happiest place in the world!

I think we have all had moments like that... thats what makes memories.. I have a 20 yr old a 16 and 11 yr old that we could probably have a mini series on TV describing all our DisneyWorld stories

We arrive on July 24th- I'm pretty sure we will be "that" family. DH and DD do not handle heat well, whereas DS and I will be ok. This is a family trip (15 in total), so going in the last week in July certainly wasn't our idea. We are going for the sake of the family, and leaving mid afternoon/returning early evening, but I still see the heat making us one cranky group! I'll be sure to post our "moments" while they are fresh in my mind once I return.

Our boy LOVES the Tiki room. My mom and I discovered that you can ask to wake up Jose, so we usually ask, and if they are too busy or whatever, no worries. We prepare ds4yrs that he can ask, but if he gets told no, that's nothing to be upset about. He's good with it.

Well....when I was with my db and boy, dh got a wild bug up his butt about not letting boy even ASK! He was all, boy shouldn't expect to get his way all the time (coming from a guy who can't resist buying him toys at Target!). So when we got in, instead of just being mildly bummed that he couldn't wake up birds, we had full on tantrum that he wasn't allowed to ask!!! I could have shot dh there.

On top of that, we also had meltdown that we weren't at Buzz!! Finally, we left. Ugh.

I forgot one more. My husband had both the kids at Pinochio's trying to pick a table while I was up at the counter getting food. I was just about to order when I got about a million EMERGENCY texts from husband. He said forget the food and get out here now. Apparently my daughter was having an EPIC breakdown because my husband tried to pick the table instead of her. She was hysterical as we tried to get out of there as soon as we could. She was still hysterical when we sat outside of cosmic rays. This time I sat with the kids while he got the food

I hope your hubby was grateful afterward and he realizes all the effort you put into taking care of the kids on a daily basis. I know that with my own hubby he did not fully appreciate all the hassles and stress of having to get our kids up and dressed and to school each and every day until he had to do it for a short while instead of me. It was a bit humorous when he would talk to me about how aggravating and difficult it was. I would smile and reply, yes I know. I have been doing it for the last ten years!! :hyper2: :crazy:

We arrive on July 24th- I'm pretty sure we will be "that" family. DH and DD do not handle heat well, whereas DS and I will be ok. This is a family trip (15 in total), so going in the last week in July certainly wasn't our idea. We are going for the sake of the family, and leaving mid afternoon/returning early evening, but I still see the heat making us one cranky group! I'll be sure to post our "moments" while they are fresh in my mind once I return.
:scared: Good luck on your extended family vacation! Hopefully, you will be able to make the most of it! :flower2:

Our boy LOVES the Tiki room. My mom and I discovered that you can ask to wake up Jose, so we usually ask, and if they are too busy or whatever, no worries. We prepare ds4yrs that he can ask, but if he gets told no, that's nothing to be upset about. He's good with it.

Well....when I was with my db and boy, dh got a wild bug up his butt about not letting boy even ASK! He was all, boy shouldn't expect to get his way all the time (coming from a guy who can't resist buying him toys at Target!). So when we got in, instead of just being mildly bummed that he couldn't wake up birds, we had full on tantrum that he wasn't allowed to ask!!! I could have shot dh there.

On top of that, we also had meltdown that we weren't at Buzz!! Finally, we left. Ugh.

That must have been very frustrating! I would have been really miffed at my DH. I hate it when I have already set the rules and then he goes and changes things.

This thread is awesome!!! I wish I could remember the times when we were "that family" in Disney and share. Maybe on our upcoming trip I will make it a point to log on, cause you know it's inevitable.

So I just joined, and I've read this entire thread. Love it! Thanks for the laughs and for making me less nervous to take my 2 year old to visit Mickey. It'll be the first trip for me, my husband, and our daughter! I'm sure between her outbursts and my husband's "we'll just go with the flow and change the plan" attitude, I'll have some of my own THAT family moments.

So I just joined, and I've read this entire thread. Love it! Thanks for the laughs and for making me less nervous to take my 2 year old to visit Mickey. It'll be the first trip for me, my husband, and our daughter! I'm sure between her outbursts and my husband's "we'll just go with the flow and change the plan" attitude, I'll have some of my own THAT family moments.

Yes, I have to agree going on a trip with a two year old and someone who just wants to wing it, you will most like catch yourself in a "We were That family" kind of moment. Just try to remember this thread when it does occur and try to take a step back and tell yourself, this too will pass.

Now the most hilarious one I witnessed was a young couple in a big fight at MK as the park was closing. We were all walking to the front to catch the busses and they were yelling at each other. I don't know what this poor guy did, but she was breathing fire. Finally, the young man yells, "that's it " and speeds off ahead of her. Only to come back a few seconds later and ask her, "what hotel are we staying at again?" She just nods her head no and refuses to speak a word. He storms off again and comes back, "tell me" and she just keeps refusing to utter a word. It was the most hilarious thing to witness. Although I did feel bad that the poor schlep couldn't remember where they were staying. And I always wondered how that ended. :laughing:

Last edited:
Oh I am so glad I found this!! Don't really have "that family" type material but my dad once asked the guy who was loading the boat from WL to MK "does this boat go to Disney?"... We ARE in Disney and we WANT to get to Magic Kingdom, dad. This was probably our 10th WDW trip too........

When our daughter (10 yo) sat at Yachtsman and had to be taken out to the hall way when she threw a fit. It wasn't that part that made us "that" family. As soon as she became disruptive we removed her as to not disrupt the other diners. What made us "that" family was when she had calmed down enough to be brought back in. She sat at the table, looked at the menu and said "FINE!!!! I guess I'll have the filet!".

After I picked my jaw up off the floor we addressed that post haste. I may make more in 4.8 days than my father made in a month (adjusted for inflation!) but I refuse to have a child of mine come up with "fine I'll have the filet!"

Stacy

I did that to my mom once, but without the tantrum. When I was 3 or so she took me to a restaurant she had taken me to before, and I remembered what she had ordered because she had let me try some. When the waiter came over and asked me what I wanted I said, "I'll have the lobster." When my mom stopped laughing she chased down the waiter and changed the order. Apparently I either forgot or couldn't tell the difference.

:rotfl2: This thread is hilarious! I was that family once. Although mine probably won't be as funny without knowing me. I am a very soft spoken and go with the flow kind of person. I will stand my ground, but rarely do I yell and definitely not in public. My DH ( well soon to be ex) does not like Disney. Well, really all theme parks in general, so I have only done Disney with him a few times. I usually go without him. However, he insisted on coming. I think it was one of those he didn't really want to go, but was afraid of missing out on things kind of deal. We were at Disney and it was just whine,whine,whine... it's so crowded, the lines are so long...etc.... you get the picture. He was sucking the life out of my happy place. After a particularly long day of his whining I was ready to pack it in and he said no we can go do Haunted Mansion. Well, HM is one of my favs and they must have been having a problem with it because it was taking a long time. He of course was complaining and said something about it taking forever and the rest of our lives..yada.. and that was it I just snapped. In a crowded line with people everywhere I yelled, "Yes (insert name here) it is literally going to take forever and yes you will die standing in this line, so suck it up." It was completely lost on me in that moment that I was saying this in the HM line, until he started cracking jokes about what his head stone would say. :rotfl:I am completely embarrassed about it to this day.

Now the most hilarious one I witnessed was a young couple in a big fight at MK as the park was closing. We were all walking to the front to catch the busses and they were yelling at each other. I don't know what this poor guy did, but she was breathing fire. Finally, the young man yells, "that's it " and speeds off ahead of her. Only to come back a few seconds later and ask her, "what hotel are we staying at again?" She just nods her head no and refuses to speak a word. He storms off again and comes back, "tell me" and she just keeps refusing to utter a word. It was the most hilarious thing to witness. Although I did feel bad that the poor schlep couldn't remember where they were staying. And I always wondered how that ended. :laughing:

Thanks for sharing! Like you, I feel sorry for the poor guy who did not have a clue where he was staying! That does make it difficult to storm off! I wonder if sue ever told him or if he just followed her. He could have asked at the service desk but I am guessing in the moment he did not think to ask a CM. And it would have been a bit embarrassing to have to ask someone. But I sure he is not the first.

Oh I am so glad I found this!! Don't really have "that family" type material but my dad once asked the guy who was loading the boat from WL to MK "does this boat go to Disney?"... We ARE in Disney and we WANT to get to Magic Kingdom, dad. This was probably our 10th WDW trip too........

Yes, this sounds familiar - a family member not trusting your knowledge and asking a CM a simple question and one that has probably been answered for him several times already!

We will so be "that" family when we arrive in January.

My oldest DD will be 5 - I can already envision the crying and fights because we will not let her wear flip flops to the parks ("But tennis shoes aren't beautiful" and "all the other girls get to wear flip flops", etc.), and fights because she wants to eat all day long (not sure where she puts it), and the sadness when certain foods are off limits (peanut allergy). She is also famous for the "if I can't do X, then I'm going to do Y" lines and resisting going to the bath room (which will be a huge issue there with the automatically flushing toilets). And she hates standing in line.

Also the fights with DH, who really likes to sleep in, and I like to get to the park, do the first rights (the "Morning must-do attractions"), and then relax.

And the chasing of the 2 year old, who I'm sure will be afraid of all of the characters (and we have 4 character dining experiences planned:scared1:

Why did I want to go again? Oh yah - because even with all of the stressful moments, there will be magic. pixiedust: pixiedust:

Got to agree with the kid on the tennis shoes, not only are they not beautiful, but they are not waterproof. I'd get her some heel-strapped water sandals that will stay on her feet and let her splash to her heart's content. (We don't allow sneaker-wearing at theme parks for our kids; walking around in them wet ruins them, causes blisters, and the smell can get toxic.)

Great trick for lines: string. Make some string loops and have her learn to do string figures in lines; easy to carry and if you have extras you can share with other kids, which gets really fun. Clapping games are good, too.

As for your DH, that's why God inspired the invention of texting. Leave him behind and let him find you when he's ready.

You might sill have some moments, but some proactive troubleshooting can help immensely. Best of luck!

Yes, I have to agree going on a trip with a two year old and someone who just wants to wing it, you will most like catch yourself in a "We were That family" kind of moment. Just try to remember this thread when it does occur and try to take a step back and tell yourself, this too will pass.
That's great advice! With this thread in mind, I chatted with DH last night, since we're coming up on our 180-day window for dining. We've already made some compromises after he said "Well, I expected us just to walk around most of the time anyway, I mean, there's not much she can actually ride." ARG! :idea: Then I pulled up the Magic Kingdom list of attractions and showed him how many rides she could actually do! That was a little bit eye-opening for him. We're now agreed that I am in charge of "planning" loosely for the morning hours (which is mostly just prioritizing what we really want to do before the crowds hit - toddler willing, of course). If we hit three or four must-dos, we'll consider it a win.

We're only at Disney a couple of days, and this is really a bonus vacation for us, since we're cruising out of Port Canaveral. We're considering it a trial run for when we have a real Disney World vacation.

Last edited:
This thread is making me feel so much better about my upcoming trip with my soon to be 4 year old. I know we will have our moments and I'm glad that you were all able to laugh about them later.

Thanks for sharing! Like you, I feel sorry for the poor guy who did not have a clue where he was staying! That does make it difficult to storm off! I wonder if sue ever told him or if he just followed her. He could have asked at the service desk but I am guessing in the moment he did not think to ask a CM. And it would have been a bit embarrassing to have to ask someone. But I sure he is not the first.

I agree. I think I would be too embarrassed to ask. I would have just let her be and followed her. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter