We were "that" family

Aliceacc

DIS Veteran
(Inspired by the "happiest place on earth" thread)

In case anyone missed them, I would like to share some memorable lines from our recent WDW vacation that probably had other people shaking their heads in wonder.

- "Oh, yeah? Then I'll just take the monorail back to the resort!!" from 5 year old K on learning that she wasn't going to get her wish of the moment.

- "I will NOT go in there and you can't make me!!" from 10 year old B who developed a sudden and earth shattering fear of costumed characters. No big deal, right? Except that "there" was Chef Mickey's, it was our first night, he was terrified, and the rest of the family was already in and seated.

- "What do you mean you don't know where she is????" from my husband when K ran ahead of me to our longhouse, pressed the wrong elevator key, and disappeared for 15 minutes. I would imagine that if you were anywhere in the zip code at the time, you probably heard this one.

-"You never buy me anything!!" from 8 year old J, wanting a $46 purse in a store.

And on and on it goes. We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!!!

Will anyone else admit to being "THAT" family or was it just us??

Last edited:
I'm headed to the World in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll have some priceless lines to report when I get back! I"ll admit, I'm not perfect!

Of yes, I was the one who uttered [edit] in Magic Kingdom, after a trying day. Hubby hadn't been interested in giving any input in the planning, even though he had been asked for months what he wanted to do, and all of a sudden, he starts making suggestions in the middle of our day at MK, and then 10 seconds later, he changes his mind, and then again, then 'or we could go here, or we could go all the way across the park to there'... So I threw my passporter book and plans at him and said the bad word, along with a long tirade of what he could do with his sudden ideas :rolleyes:

Oh absolutely!

My son wet his pants 2 years in a row @ MK (he was 5 & 6 and didn't want to take time out to go to the bathroom, and din't tell anyone until it was too late) The ride back on the bus was unpleasant and accompanied by a lot of "I'm not sitting with him....ewwww! He has pee-pants!" :sad2:

......and the constant "sister hitting."

......and last year the daily argument over the top bunk (no bunks this year :thumbsup2 )

...and as we were getting ready to go to MNSSHP when a cast member called my daughter a beautiful princess (she was soooo proud of her dress) and my son corrected him saying, "No, she is a FAT princess!" :eek:

...and the knock-down, drag-out over a bag of doritos...:scared1:

...and another no-holds barred death match over which color power ranger we were going to see! :sad2:

...and the time my son left his fanny pack that held about 10 lbs of candy from MNSSHP and his lanyard with about a zillion traded pins in the bathroom (we told him not to take it off 84,000 times!) it was never returned....and the 1/2 hour sob fest that followed :sad1: He then got the brilliant idea that his sister should share hers (pins and all) because he didn't have any...the argument went something like this...."I'm not giving you mine, it's not my fault you are a stupid baby and lost yours!" "Mommy told you not to take it off, dummy!" ...and the well thought out reply...."You're fat! and you stink!"

I am positive we will be "that" family. Dh hates disney but agreed to go because it is dd's first trip.I am sure he will either roll his eyes or make a snide comment of some sort that will fire me up( thank god Aunt flo arrives 10 days BEFORE my tripor I would be volatile) .Plus Dd gets very overwhlemed.I have my mantra " we are going to take it slow" But I get real excited at WDW so i need to repeat said mantra and practice slow deep breaths:rotfl2:

Oh we were so that family and more! I took my 5 kids with my husband AND my parents and my 21 yr old sister....so you can imagine there was quite a lot of THAT going on! In fact on Animal Kingdom day we ditched our Rainforest reservations, left the park 3 hours earlier than planned and stomped back to the hotel. It ended up being one of the best nights there- we ordered pizza and just had a couple beers while the kids swam in the pool. :upsidedow

The funniest was when DS yelled "BO-RING" just as the birds dropped in the Tiki Room.

DH and I had an argument at AK and then I burst into tears and actually said "this is supposed to be the happiest place on earth and I'm not friggin happy." Without missing a beat DH said "no dear, that's Magic Kingdom. You can be cranky here."

We had numerous others! Too many to think of.

I guess I would have to say that I am the one who get's upset really easily and my poor DH is trying to make the trips fantastic which is does a great job planning them out. I can't handle the heat very well and we went 3 years ago when tropical depression tammy hit and there was no wind and we were at AK I got to the point where I was so hot and I wasn't talking and he knew something was wrong. Cause usually I am a bubbly person I was this day so he sat me down in an airconditioned room and made me drink about 2 bottles of cold water slowly. Than we had lunch and I we went back to the hotel and I got to sleep my crankiness away. Than we got up and we ventured out again with me be being bubbly and my DH with me. I have to admit he puts up with me when I am cranky. I love him for that.

DH and I had an argument at AK and then I burst into tears and actually said "this is supposed to be the happiest place on earth and I'm not friggin happy." Without missing a beat DH said "no dear, that's Magic Kingdom. You can be cranky here."

:rotfl2: That is something that my husband would say! :rotfl2:
:hug: I know how annoying it is to want to laugh when you're so upset!

Every trip, we go to AK the first day and every trip, DH and I get into a huge fight. Probably because our day usually starts at 4am to get to the airport. This year when I started planning my DH only made one request...Can we not go to AK the first day? What:scared1: and break tradition? So, we will go to AK the second day:goodvibes but we still probably slip in one fight. Sad that the only time we really get into fights is in WDW.

we just got back yesterday...here are some lines from my 5 y.o. "I HATE this place!", "I don't want to go to the park today!", "I want to go home!" Needless to say we won't be going back anytime soon, if ever.

We will so be "that" family when we arrive in January.

My oldest DD will be 5 - I can already envision the crying and fights because we will not let her wear flip flops to the parks ("But tennis shoes aren't beautiful" and "all the other girls get to wear flip flops", etc.), and fights because she wants to eat all day long (not sure where she puts it), and the sadness when certain foods are off limits (peanut allergy). She is also famous for the "if I can't do X, then I'm going to do Y" lines and resisting going to the bath room (which will be a huge issue there with the automatically flushing toilets). And she hates standing in line.

Also the fights with DH, who really likes to sleep in, and I like to get to the park, do the first rights (the "Morning must-do attractions"), and then relax.

And the chasing of the 2 year old, who I'm sure will be afraid of all of the characters (and we have 4 character dining experiences planned:scared1:

Why did I want to go again? Oh yah - because even with all of the stressful moments, there will be magic. pixiedust: pixiedust:

I have to say we're a very 'go with the moment' type of family, but we've had our moments.

- Like when I forgot the diapers for our 8 mo and then had to buy them at the Baby Care center -- we'll NEVER do that again.

- Or on the same trip realized we had forgotten the bottle liners...someone forgot to pack 1 entire suitcase!

-DD6 continued to play the my lil pony game at DTD even after she had peed her pants. When I realized what happened, I dragged her into the bathroom and sent DH off with DD3 to get new clothes. Once DD6 had new clothes on, DD3 asks if she wets her pants will she get new clothes too?

- DD8 (on our last trip) That's not fair - I only got to ride on Test Track 3 times.

Hmm I know if anyone was in front of Star Tours on Sept 27th, 2006 they would remmeber my mom and I arguing in front of the ride. My son (5 at the time) is a huge Star Wars fan, but got spooked before going on the ride.
My mom decided that if we were better parents and spanked him, he would know not to disagree with what we said to do. Oy-that did not go over too well with me!:eek:

So if you were there, my apologies for yelling, "You know where the bus picks up mother-if you want to go on this ride so bad go on and then go home!"
among other things. Our fight lasted about 15 minutes and she even followed my DH into the SW store to lecture him as well. My DH was so level headed during the whole thing and got my son on the ride calmly (which he ADORED) and had us move on for the day.

We are leaving grandma at home this trip!!!:goodvibes

Okay, lets keep in perspective that my son is 15. . .mom. . .I am tired, I am going back to the hotel for a siesta. . .son. . .Its not MY fault you are old and cranky, I am going to Disneyquest. . .mom. . .no you are not, you are going to sit here and watch me sleep cause you are NOW on restriction. . .son. . .you cant put me on restriction at WDW. . .mom. . .I can do whatever I want whenever I want and you are on restriction mister. . .son. . .this is so unfair. . .everyone else gets to enjoy disneyquest, I don't. . .mom. . .grow up and get a life. . .son. . .what does that mean. . .mom. . .heck if I know but that is what I am supposed to say. . .son. . .can I just be 15 and throw a teenage fit?. . .mom. . .of course. . .it makes perfect sense. . .by the way, have a good time at disneyquest. . .see you later. . .

get the picture?

LOL :rotfl2: these are so funny!!!

We are leaving in 18 days. I am sure I should have some doozies when we get back. We are going with my family 3 kids 9, 7 & 4 and my mom and her DB (haven't been on my vacation with my mother in years) This is going to be good!!!

Well, on Saturday morning, 8/16, we were the family that lost their son coming off Splash Mountain. I stopped to check the photo, DH had DD and DS. I was waiting in line and looked over. Uh, where's DS?

Go looking. And keep going. I start freaking out. and running. and shouting. He was well on his way to BTMRR. Luckily he realized we weren't with him and got upset. Some people stopped him and I caught up to him.

So if you saw or heard me calling "David!" around 10:30 that day near SM, yeah, that was my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts