We Tested Positive For Covid at the Port and Here's What Happened

Does your insurance still cover you if you travel to a place listed as high risk by the government, though? I've seen a lot of insurances have an exclusion for that and right now, cruising is listed as high risk.
I have not seen that. Do you have any examples that you can share?

How to keep luggage with you when parking at Port Canaveral:

We drove into the port following signs for parking, and they checked our port arrival time and directed us to where to drop of luggage on the curb. If you're not familiar with it, it looks kind of like an airport arrivals place where you would drop off passengers, and you can pull over and drop off the luggage. The parking deck is on the left as you pass through the luggage drop off area. We told the attendant we weren't ready to drop off luggage yet, that we wanted to park first. They suggested we could just pull over and deal with it there before entering the parking deck, but we asked to park first and they said it was ok.

You are tested as you enter the parking deck, then you park, and once the phone says you are cleared to sail, you walk a bridge on the third floor across the street, then take the elevator or escalator down to check in. There are a few people along the way to check that you are cleared to sail and direct you where to go. The check in building is right next to where the porters are taking luggage at the curb, so before entering check in, you can walk about 15 yards and drop your checked luggage with the porters.

Thanks that makes sense. I apprecate the idea.

I mean, are you more apt to catch covid by traveling in a car with someone who is positive than traveling on a packed bus with them?

You have to be masked on a DCL bus, which lowers the risk of transmission. Driving/riding in a private car with others you likely weren't wearing masks, so the likelihood of transmission is higher there. Not, it's not a perfect policy but I can understand the distinction between DCL bus and care.

If they get in a plane knowingly infected and they have flown before the required 5 day quarantine period, they can be fined and banned from the airline for life. It has already happened to several people. Positive PCR tests go into databases and the airlines can cross check if they suspect someone violates the rules.

I'm sure plenty of people fly UNKNOWINGLY infected, but anyone who does so knowingly is taking quite a risk of being found out.

I don't believe this for a second. I spoke with someone who works for an airline and she said it is absolutely not true. Also, like a PP said, airlines do not have access to people's medical records and legally they cannot even get them if they want to. There are HIPAA laws that do not allow this.

I don't believe this for a second. I spoke with someone who works for an airline and she said it is absolutely not true. Also, like a PP said, airlines do not have access to people's medical records and legally they cannot even get them if they want to. There are HIPAA laws that do not allow this.

Okay, sure.

I have not seen that. Do you have any examples that you can share?
I believe most policies in Canada have limitations if the government puts out warnings not to travel to a certain destination. It's not as common here in the US. Insurance laws can vary widely by location, so it's really important to read the details of the policy you purchase and not rely on what those on an internet chat board say.

It's pretty easy to "not know" just don't take a test. I'm sure lots of people flew over the holidays with symptoms. Anyway, airlines don't have access to people's medical records.

We are not talking about not knowing. We are talking about knowing and flying anyway.

I just read an article in the Mirror about how Boris is coming out with a "living with Covid plan". I hope that is where the world is headed. All this testing, quarantining, and vaccinating can't go on forever, right? I hope not

Excellent point. However, I've been on the WDW buses where masks are "required". It is definitely not 100% masking on those buses and, other than the bus driver occasionally reminding people they need masks as they enter the bus, it is definitely not being enforced. But I can understand why DCL would point to the mask policy as a reason to allow guests who were in contact with a positive case on the bus to board the ship.
You have to be masked on a DCL bus, which lowers the risk of transmission. Driving/riding in a private car with others you likely weren't wearing masks, so the likelihood of transmission is higher there. Not, it's not a perfect policy but I can understand the distinction between DCL bus and care.

Yes, I already addressed that in a follow-up post.

I wouldn't be so sure. There was a poster here a few weeks ago who tested positive at the port and then said that she was denied boarding a flight 7 days later because she was supposed to wait 10 days.

The test result itself is almost certainly transmitted to Florida's health department (or whoever down there is tracking it) because that's how they do contact tracing and stuff like that. Airlines wouldn't need access to your medical records to cross check against a database of positive test results. There's no HIPAA violation there. I'd be very surprised if they're checking, though.

As I said before, some folks have flown when they knew that they were positive and the airlines have banned them from future flights, usually for life. And there have been fines, too.

But who cares? Just please don't be a bad person and put everyone else at risk if you don't have to. If you have the means to rent a car or stay somewhere locally to quarantine, then please do so.

I think that all the cruise lines are struggling with protocols for when people test positive for covid. I find it perplexing since they have had 6 months to come up with a plan. With the new super-transmissible variant we're hearing more and more about people testing positive at the ports or falling ill on the cruise itself. In almost every case I've read the cruise line has dropped the ball on communication and left the passengers, many of them ill, to fend for themselves. This is NOT a good look for cruising. The cruise lines better wake up and come up with easy to follow policies so people are taken care of or passengers won't risk sailing. FTR, I took an NCL cruise in September 2021 so I have cruised since covid.

I know nothing about tests, but I thought a PCR test took awhile to get results.

Have you written /call disney? You being forgotten is terrible. I understand the reason disney would say a person can't go on the ship, but they should have a kit ready to go while you wait. Even just coloring books, stickers, snack bag (with shelf stable stuff). A better move would be a boxed lunch, mickey toy, etc. I mean they have a ship that's ready to feed people. How hard would it be to put a few sandwiches on a tray with some cans of soda?
I think someone answered the PCR question but yes I agree. Lunch box, drinks, someone to assist with finding lodging and/or car rental if needed. And they should allow more time to analyze credit vs refund options. Maybe let you decide within a few days after weighing options.

I don't think so. When you get off the bus, they already have your luggage set aside. You can view it to make sure that it's all there, but at least when I last sailed (September), they weren't really letting anyone get to their luggage after getting off the bus. Like, you could probably ask to get something out of a suitcase if you needed to, but I don't think they'd let you take the suitcases.

Our luggage was transported in a separate truck, not on the bus we arrived on. That is apparently why it took so long. The truck with our luggage didn't leave the airport until it was full.

And everyone thank you for your replies. I didn't mean to cause an argument on when to or not to fly, but IMO this thought that 2 years later we can truly prevent the spread of this is naive. Of course I will take precautions not to get others sick if knowingly positive so followed all CDC guidance, but many contract it and show no symptoms. Plus it is highly contagious, so if you are traveling on a plane or with groups you should do so with the assumption that you will be exposed to Covid. Same thing if in sports or schools. Unfortunately I think that is where it is at.

I'm a glass half full person and honestly the whole experience taught my kids a great lesson on dealing with disappointment and being kind and sympathetic with one another. Of course they've already dealt with a lot of disappointment with Covid, but it's good to remind them that our bad days are better then some peoples good days.

We rented a house with a heated pool and the weather in FL was gorgeous this week. We've spent quite a bit of quality time away from home with each other and without distraction and honestly we've still had a nice time and good 'ol family bonding ❤

Thank you for posting about your experience, and also the amazing attitude with which you were able to handle it. We're supposed to fly in a few days to try for a cruise and I'm giving it a 75% chance this is what is going to happen to us (don't get me started on why we're still trying to go) so I'm trying to mentally prepare to make the best of the situation. Sounds like either keeping our bags with us or at minimum making sure we have eaten and have snacks will be important, and maybe researching a good backup plan in advance as well. Going to hang onto your positivity as well. I hope your family continues to stay well and again, thank you for sharing with all of us!

I believe most policies in Canada have limitations if the government puts out warnings not to travel to a certain destination. It's not as common here in the US. Insurance laws can vary widely by location, so it's really important to read the details of the policy you purchase and not rely on what those on an internet chat board say.
Exactly. I am an insurance broker in the US that's why I wanted to see examples.

This though gets rid of one problem ( testing postivie at port and dealing with all what that entails) it creates a new one. Over at other cruise forums where other lines do similar there have been so many issues with people not able to get their tests in time or procted in time. it all comes down to who is " verified third party", mail issues or not getting results in time issues. I am curious what their solution then is for non-US passengers. is Bioreference gonna send me and pick up my sample overseas?

Back when my mom and I decided to do a quick trip beginning of December we were looking at RCI and DCL. RCI was tons cheaper but one of the selling points DCL was they paid for and administrered the testing at port. We didnt have to worry about actually getting a test done, paying and having results in time. I went to look at testing in Orlando and to be honest it was more a gambel us being abel to even get a test done if we flew there, vs testing positive at port. Both cases in our situation, we would have traveled already. In my cruise group so many parents were freaking out as their kids PCR tests were being delayed or results not coming in and they were like " now what". It was no stress for us, except of course the big waiting for results at Port.
Most cruise lines that allow for testing in advance also offer testing at the Port for a fee for people that have difficulty getting a test ahead of time. On my Celebrity and Princess cruises this year I tested at home before getting on the plane, but I had the option of getting a test at the port before boarding if I wanted to do that instead (or needed to because of logistics).

Most cruise lines that allow for testing in advance also offer testing at the Port for a fee for people that have difficulty getting a test ahead of time. On my Celebrity and Princess cruises this year I tested at home before getting on the plane, but I had the option of getting a test at the port before boarding if I wanted to do that instead (or needed to because of logistics).
That’s great to know I’m actually looking at a princess cruise right now

I keep seeing people getting upset about at-port testing, but these ships are going to Caribbean islands with vaccination rates ranging from 35-90% of eligible 12+ citizens. It's not just about being on a boat full of vaccinated people, it's about the people whose country you will be porting at.
This is why I'm totally fine being tested at the port. ...or I WAS until I read the OP's experience.
Silly me was assuming that if anyone in my party tested positive (likely a false positive anyway) that we would receive our luggage back in a reasonable amount of tome and start driving back home. What actually happened here is not acceptable at all. This is not at all representative of the service we're paying for on DCL - even if refunded due to COVID, a certain level of service maintains customer loyalty.

I agree with PP that all cruiselines were likely taken by surprise with the sudden upsurge in positive tests, though I don't think DCL can blame it on expected vaccination status because DCL has not sailed under "fully vaccinated" rules for all passengers (most but not all). While I do agree it would be nice if DCL offered some assistance for those denied boarding at embarkation, since passengers are informed of the testing requirement in advance it really is up to individual parties to have a back-up plan; access to water and a snack would be appropriate though if they can't release the guests with a quick turn-around. However providing lists of recommended vendors (car rental, hotel, etc.) gives an appearance of a relationship that Disney may not want to imply, for liability reasons if nothing else.

In Canada, most general policies specifically exclude COVID as it has been identified as a known travel risk since March 2020. That isn’t to say that you can’t get COVID-specific policies but you should not assume that it is covered. Check with your insurance professional.

This is why I'm totally fine being tested at the port. ...or I WAS until I read the OP's experience.
Silly me was assuming that if anyone in my party tested positive (likely a false positive anyway) that we would receive our luggage back in a reasonable amount of tome and start driving back home. What actually happened here is not acceptable at all. This is not at all representative of the service we're paying for on DCL - even if refunded due to COVID, a certain level of service maintains customer loyalty.

Agreed, DCL's solution is not acceptable. It's especially poor when compared to other lines, which not only help you find lodging to wait out the quarantine period, but also pay for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter