We Tested Positive For Covid at the Port and Here's What Happened

I'm a glass half full person and honestly the whole experience taught my kids a great lesson on dealing with disappointment and being kind and sympathetic with one another. Of course they've already dealt with a lot of disappointment with Covid, but it's good to remind them that our bad days are better then some peoples good days.

We rented a house with a heated pool and the weather in FL was gorgeous this week. We've spent quite a bit of quality time away from home with each other and without distraction and honestly we've still had a nice time and good 'ol family bonding ❤
No doubt this ordeal had to be frustrating and disappointing BUT your positive outlook on the life lessons learned is to be commended. Any one of us can be very careful and still get Covid. I am happy to know you were able to rent a house and still vacation and have memorable family time.

I don't believe this for a second. I spoke with someone who works for an airline and she said it is absolutely not true. Also, like a PP said, airlines do not have access to people's medical records and legally they cannot even get them if they want to. There are HIPAA laws that do not allow this.

You must have not had many PCR tests done. Every single one comes with a HIPAA release form you have to sign granting them permission to transmit results to the local health department, and essentially give the info to anyone who requests it. I'm sure it's buried in the DCL pre cruise documents, if not something you have to sign electronically before they administer the test. I JUST had to sign another one of these last week when my son got a PCR test. As airlines are bound by the FAA, they absolutely have access to state public health department databases and all they need is your name and DOB to check. It's not like they have to jump through a bunch of hoops.

You must have not had many PCR tests done. Every single one comes with a HIPAA release form you have to sign granting them permission to transmit results to the local health department, and essentially give the info to anyone who requests it. I'm sure it's buried in the DCL pre cruise documents, if not something you have to sign electronically before they administer the test. I JUST had to sign another one of these last week when my son got a PCR test. As airlines are bound by the FAA, they absolutely have access to state public health department databases and all they need is your name and DOB to check. It's not like they have to jump through a bunch of hoops.
If that is true what would prompt a gate agent to do all that that provided your not showing any symptoms or even if you were. They are way to busy trying to get the flight out on time.

This whole idea vaccination status requests or testing results being confidentially held by HIPAA and not available for businesses to ask for is still going on? You are spot on here. Part of your terms and agreements from DCL gives them permission to share results with the health department, which the airlines could easily have access to.

If that is true what would prompt a gate agent to do all that that provided your not showing any symptoms or even if you were. They are way to busy trying to get the flight out on time.

Oh, I don't know, maybe showing up the day you flew in and trying to book a flight back home and being asked why you need to change your ticket? People are dumb. They will actually tell a ticket agent "I was denied boarding a cruise ship due to a positive Covid test at the port."

Is it possible to keep your luggage when arriving by DCL bus?
We only brought carry ons because there was NO WAY we wanted to be stuck there if we had tested positive but I think we could have dropped them with the porters after testing if we wanted to. We arrived via Disney bus from the Hyatt at MCO. We were dropped at the side of the terminal then we’re walked across the street to the testing tents. When crossing the street on our way to the terminal check in after being tested and cleared, the porters looked to be just to our left. It looked like we could have slipped out of the path and dropped our luggage at that point if we had wanted to.

Sorry for what turned into a nightmare. does anyone have insight into why Disney does testing this way? Five in our family did a cruise over christmas on Celebrity (wonderful food and entertainment, about 60% of the cost of Disney including drink package, wifi and tips).

they require a test within 2 days of cruise. And allow the at home Binax test with a telehealth person To monitor. Results are emailed so you can show them as you board. I ordered the tests, and we took them on Saturday night,in prep for our Monday boarding. It was very easy. Yes we did pay for the test, about $35 each, but it was well worth the cost and ease. We had test and vaccine cards and passports in hand and were on ship within 10 min Of entering building. The ship was only about 60% full. If someone in your party has a positive, you let them know through customer service and like Disney, there is a choice of refund or credit. But you know in advance and don’t have to worry and wait at the port.

Thank you OP for sharing. There have been several threads on these boards that have helped me immensely in planning for the worst. Yours is one of them now! If I can’t control the variables, I want to control my response to them whether it’s a hurricane, a fogged-in port or a positive test!

Sorry for what turned into a nightmare. does anyone have insight into why Disney does testing this way? Five in our family did a cruise over christmas on Celebrity (wonderful food and entertainment, about 60% of the cost of Disney including drink package, wifi and tips).

they require a test within 2 days of cruise. And allow the at home Binax test with a telehealth person To monitor. Results are emailed so you can show them as you board. I ordered the tests, and we took them on Saturday night,in prep for our Monday boarding. It was very easy. Yes we did pay for the test, about $35 each, but it was well worth the cost and ease. We had test and vaccine cards and passports in hand and were on ship within 10 min Of entering building. The ship was only about 60% full. If someone in your party has a positive, you let them know through customer service and like Disney, there is a choice of refund or credit. But you know in advance and don’t have to worry and wait at the port.
I have often wondered if this is because DCL has had a much higher percentage unvaccinated than other lines due to all the kids, and I wonder if they might change it once they switch over to all kids 5+ vaccinated. But maybe not because the under 5s are still not vaccine eligible

Pretty sure those that have recently had covid upload postive PCR test and are waived from testing for this reason.

yes I have been posting a lot recently about the 90 day Covid recovered option but that has its own issues as people are finding not all drs are willing to write a note that says clear to travel.
I was talking more about people who didn’t even know they were positive, then recovered, took a rapid to ease their their mind before leaving on the trip, test negative on rapid but test positive at port on the pcr. Blindsided in that situation. They wouldn’t have known to apply for the Covid recovered option

mj

Oh, I don't know, maybe showing up the day you flew in and trying to book a flight back home and being asked why you need to change your ticket? People are dumb. They will actually tell a ticket agent "I was denied boarding a cruise ship due to a positive Covid test at the port."
In your example, there would be no need to check with the health department. One good thing to come out of Covid is flexible change policies. It's very easy to change your flight online that's if you can find one that's not canceled.

yes I have been posting a lot recently about the 90 day Covid recovered option but that has its own issues as people are finding not all drs are willing to write a note that says clear to travel.
I was talking more about people who didn’t even know they were positive, then recovered, took a rapid to ease their their mind before leaving on the trip, test negative on rapid but test positive at port on the pcr. Blindsided in that situation. They wouldn’t have known to apply for the Covid recovered option

mj
I'm confused? If you test positive at the port why would you assume you were positive from a past infection and not just currently positive?

I'm confused? If you test positive at the port why would you assume you were positive from a past infection and not just currently positive?

Because many people can test positive on a PCR test up to 90 days past original infection and it is very unlikely to be reinfected so close to a previous infection. You could test negative on a rapid test but test positive on a PCR weeks after your infection.

That is the reason Safe Passage has the 90 day Covid recovered option. They know a percentage of people can test positive who not contagious. People who have tested positive 11-90 days before their cruise can waive testing at the port by submitting a positive Covid pcr test and a dr. note saying they are recovered and cleared to travel.

MJ

Last edited:
Because many people can test positive on a PCR test up to 90 days past original infection and it is very unlikely to be reinfected so close to a previous infection. You could test negative on a rapid test but test positive on a PCR weeks after your infection.

That is the reason Safe Passage has the 90 day Covid recovered option. They know a percentage of people can test positive who not contagious. People who have tested positive 11-90 days before their cruise can waive testing at the port by submitting a positive Covid pcr test and a dr. note saying they are recovered and cleared to travel.

MJ
Maybe I misread your post, but I thought you were referring to people that were positive in the past that didn't know it. There would be no way to prove that if you never got tested.

Maybe I misread your post, but I thought you were referring to people that were positive in the past that didn't know it. There would be no way to prove that if you never got tested.

you are right...not everyone would assume it was from a past infection. It was just a hypothetical situation I was putting out there.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I definitely will be calling DCL when it gets closer to my sailing date for further questions. I like how DCL does day of testing at the port. Some people want to get tested before their trip and sometimes its hard getting it. I will definitely do a test with my family beforehand before flying out too.

This though gets rid of one problem ( testing postivie at port and dealing with all what that entails) it creates a new one. Over at other cruise forums where other lines do similar there have been so many issues with people not able to get their tests in time or procted in time. it all comes down to who is " verified third party", mail issues or not getting results in time issues. I am curious what their solution then is for non-US passengers. is Bioreference gonna send me and pick up my sample overseas?

Back when my mom and I decided to do a quick trip beginning of December we were looking at RCI and DCL. RCI was tons cheaper but one of the selling points DCL was they paid for and administrered the testing at port. We didnt have to worry about actually getting a test done, paying and having results in time. I went to look at testing in Orlando and to be honest it was more a gambel us being abel to even get a test done if we flew there, vs testing positive at port. Both cases in our situation, we would have traveled already. In my cruise group so many parents were freaking out as their kids PCR tests were being delayed or results not coming in and they were like " now what". It was no stress for us, except of course the big waiting for results at Port.
I agree 100%! My mom and I went on the Magic back in October and sailing with DCL was a breeze. We just sailed with CCL the day after Christmas and it was one big headache. We booked back in September, and as you can imagine, their COVID protocols changed week to week. It was a nightmare trying to find somewhere opened on Christmas Eve so that we could get tested, and have results back in time before we set sail on 26Dec. If we had to do it again and had to choose between DLC or CCL, DCL would win hands down. So much easier waiting to get tested at the port! We also felt much safer on our DCL trip compared to the latter trip, with all of the COVID protocols DCL has implemented. It really feels like they cared about the safety of their CM and guests. We'd sail with DCL again tomorrow, if we could! (Felt safer onboard their ship than I do in my local pizza place down the street. Ha!)

Agreed, DCL's solution is not acceptable. It's especially poor when compared to other lines, which not only help you find lodging to wait out the quarantine period, but also pay for it.
NCL does that BUT only if you test negative within 3 days of sailing at home before testing at the port. If you don’t and test positive at the port then you’re on your own. It’s an incentive for people to find out at home if they’re positive and not at the port.

The OP’s family didn’t test at home prior to attempting to sail. In retrospect that seems like a mistake. Chances are that they would have known that their son was sick before traveling to Florida and they would have been able to cancel from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter