We should start a Disneyland Cake Thread

Oh my, Halloweenqueen, what a terrible experience! And now i'm worried. i'm wanting to order two small cakes for my husband's birthday and my sister and her husband's 20th anniversary in November when we dine at Carthay Circle Restaurant.i don't want to make our server cry, but i will if she acts like yours did.

Last edited:
So, I put in a cake order yesterday and was told I'd be receiving an email with my final quote. I asked for a few non-standard decorations as well as fondant, so I know the price will be more than the $34 she quoted me for the more basic cake. Not a biggie, but not sure what the standard wait time was to receive the confirm email. Anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering how long to wait before I call to say I haven't gotten a confirm email.

I just placed an order for 2 cakes (6") for DS :earsboy: (12) & DD's :earsgirl: (6) joint Birthday dinner at Carnation Cafe during our upcoming visit. I ordered a Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Mousse filling and Chocolate Whipped frosting with Pirate Mickey Mouse & Pluto for DS and Vanilla Cake, Vanilla Custard filling and Vanilla Whipped Cream frosting with Minnie Mouse in red polka-dotted dress for DD. :bday:

I have to say, the control freak in me is nervous....I usually plan everything out and I just have to rely on faith and pixie-dust that they will be amazing!

I just placed an order for 2 cakes (6") for DS :earsboy: (12) & DD's :earsgirl: (6) joint Birthday dinner at Carnation Cafe during our upcoming visit. I ordered a Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Mousse filling and Chocolate Whipped frosting with Pirate Mickey Mouse & Pluto for DS and Vanilla Cake, Vanilla Custard filling and Vanilla Whipped Cream frosting with Minnie Mouse in red polka-dotted dress for DD. :bday:

I have to say, the control freak in me is nervous....I usually plan everything out and I just have to rely on faith and pixie-dust that they will be amazing!

We did one that was a copy of your chocolate cake in August and it was delicious! Nothing elaborate as far as decoration, smooth sides and piped border around top and bottom and gold painted mickey heads spaced around the sides. I bet the vanilla version will be awesome, too!

I completely forgot to get pictures, so if you would post a few, that would be so great!

I'm curious how they'll do a graduation cake. I have Steakhouse 55 's banquet room reserved for 20 people. I want a custom graduation cake for my party - and I'm not sure about the design. I'd love them to make one that is in the shape of graduation mouse ears, but Minnie Mouse.

Here's my moms bday cake from November. Chocolate with chocolate mousse, whipped cream frosting. It was delicious and I thought looked very nice. I just told the server at BB that we had s cake, and of course Disney Magic took it from there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 217
Where do they deliver cakes too? Taking my BIL and fam on their first trip in April for their 25th anniversary.

Where do they deliver cakes too? Taking my BIL and fam on their first trip in April for their 25th anniversary.

They'll deliver to any table service restaurant in the parks, I'm not too sure on the character meals at the hotels.

I'm curious how they'll do a graduation cake. I have Steakhouse 55 's banquet room reserved for 20 people. I want a custom graduation cake for my party - and I'm not sure about the design. I'd love them to make one that is in the shape of graduation mouse ears, but Minnie Mouse.
I would love to know this too. Our group will only be four of us, but Steakhouse 55 is my first choice for a nice dinner for dd's college graduation celebration.

So, I put in a cake order yesterday and was told I'd be receiving an email with my final quote. I asked for a few non-standard decorations as well as fondant, so I know the price will be more than the $34 she quoted me for the more basic cake. Not a biggie, but not sure what the standard wait time was to receive the confirm email. Anyone have any experience with this? Just wondering how long to wait before I call to say I haven't gotten a confirm email.
I'm curious about your order. Please forgive me if I'm being too nosey... :-)

Did you get your final quote? May I ask how much it was (and what size cake)? Did they agree to the fondant and non-standard decorations? I'm wanting to order a non-standard cake, so am curious about your experience. If you are willing to post photos of the final product, I'd really appreciate that as well!

Thanks!!

I'm curious about your order. Please forgive me if I'm being too nosey... :-)

Did you get your final quote? May I ask how much it was (and what size cake)? Did they agree to the fondant and non-standard decorations? I'm wanting to order a non-standard cake, so am curious about your experience. If you are willing to post photos of the final product, I'd really appreciate that as well!

Thanks!!

Sorry, I wound up posting on the WDW side of the forum on the cake chatter.

They called me...like emergency calling me. They supposedly sent me several emails after I'd stopped looking and after I was told there was no need to worry or look for emails. Figures. They were calling me because I was asking for the Mickey wave pattern around the cake. While they can do it, the DLR bakery charges a significant upcharge to do anything they consider wedding cake designs. Which is funny because doing the stamped Mickey wave pattern is easier than a lot of decorating options. WDW's bakeries don't jack up the charges on wedding style designs, but I guess DLR price gouges for anything wedding-ish. So, we changed the cake to Goofy colors (blue fondant, green base border, orange decorations of their choice) and the quote was somewhere in the 50s and after taxes and such, the cost of the cake was like $64. It was a 6" cake and yo can see below that they did do fondant. It's a red velvet cake with cream cheese filling. The price is on par with a WDW bakery cake of this size, although...I feel my most recent WDW 6" cake (that would have been the same price before I upgraded my filling) was nicer than this.

This was the final product.

23822833439_f6830ac833_z.jpg

23563825193_a379d91a03_z.jpg

23822800609_958803d9eb_z.jpg

23822824259_54b2a86fd4_z.jpg

23562418024_664597fcd4_z.jpg

24164424596_7309755eb8_z.jpg

The cake was cute, but I thought the orange decorations were more of an afterthought. I also requested buttercream and apparently, the DLR bakery buttercream tastes a lot like whipped cream. Which is odd, since they also offer whipped cream frosting as an option. i.e. why offer two products that are so similar in taste and texture? The restaurant was also really confused with the cake, since I guess it's not the norm to get a custom cake. It sounded like most people just order the basic cakes you get get same day at check in. So, it took them a while to figure out how to charge me for it and then when it was served, it was more confusion. I guess it's the norm at Goofy's Kitchen to sing happy birthday when there's a cake, but we weren't celebrating a birthday. The cluster of CMs had no idea what to do, since they were told to come over and clap and sing. I told them they could if they wanted, but it was strange. Our server was so thrown by it that she forgot to bring us plates.

I don't regret getting it, but LurkyLoo over on the CakeChatter suggested SusieCakes (I think that was the name) if we ever return to DLR and want a cake. Not sure if it's the same place, but I found this website that may be it.

https://www.susiecakes.com/

Hope the info helps. :)

That looks so yummy!

Hmm, I wonder what all they consider wedding-ish... Do you have any idea what the upcharge might have been?

We are celebrating four birthdays, two of which are turning 70, and one is turning 10 ("It's double digits, Mommy. That's a very important milestone!") So, I want to have a very special cake. I'm thinking about having it delivered to Blue Bayou when we go for our PTN package, but then that might be too heavy a meal and it already comes with dessert, so I'm not sure. Maybe Napa Rose? I've never eaten there, but it would be easier to get the leftover cake back to the room from there.

Anyway, I still have 7 months to figure it all out! LOL I love having something so fun to look forward to!

Totally recommend Susiecakes (especially the chocolate cake!)! They aren't super close to the parks, but if you have a car or Uber, then picking up a cake won't be any trouble. Not exactly inexpensive, but worth it. Susiecakes are a well respected bakery chain in the L.A. area.

That looks so yummy!

Hmm, I wonder what all they consider wedding-ish... Do you have any idea what the upcharge might have been?

We are celebrating four birthdays, two of which are turning 70, and one is turning 10 ("It's double digits, Mommy. That's a very important milestone!") So, I want to have a very special cake. I'm thinking about having it delivered to Blue Bayou when we go for our PTN package, but then that might be too heavy a meal and it already comes with dessert, so I'm not sure. Maybe Napa Rose? I've never eaten there, but it would be easier to get the leftover cake back to the room from there.

Anyway, I still have 7 months to figure it all out! LOL I love having something so fun to look forward to!

Sadly, it wasn't as yummy as it looked. Their version of buttercream pretty much killed it for me since I think whipped cream frosting is gross. I still don't grasp making a buttercream so close to whipped cream.

While I haven't seen their formal wedding cake design book, I have seen enough cakes on the wedding blog. Some of them are the standard wedding patterns also seen at WDW like the Mickey Delight and the Mickey Wave (see below- disregard the top decorations).

(delight)
8626751114_6a655b2f2b.jpg

(wave)
8625657187_49a6776a5d_z.jpg

(these are both WDW cakes)

She didn't give me an exact price, but I wanted the Mickey wave and she said something they'd normally do for a wedding cake would put my little cake over $100. I don't mind spending on a cake if I feel like the design effort is worthy of the price. I spent nearly 4x this on a cake for just me and DH, but the topper and design was so much nicer that I didn't mind. It's just a pet peeve of mine when places price gouge for wedding stuff especially when it's less effort.

If I were eating at Napa Rose, I'd want to savor every bit of culinary goodness and would be inclined to skip the cake there...UNLESS- you use the cake more as a centerpiece for your celebration and snack on the cake from your room for the rest of your trip. I've done that MANY times. Get back from a long day in the parks and the midnight snack is cake :) We ate at Blue Bayou on our trip and didn't find it overly heavy. Mind you, we didn't order dessert there, but I also wouldn't want to be lugging around leftover cake. Even a small cake becomes a pain after a while. So, I'd be more inclined to go for the cake at Napa Rose.

Ultimately, if anyone in your group strongly prefers a more traditional buttercream or hates whipped cream like me...you might get better cake for the $ from Susiecakes or another specialty bakery in the area. an outside bakery also won't have as many design limitations as the Disney bakeries usually do. I do custom cakes on the side and design limitations are one of the most frustrating aspects of getting a cake through a Disney bakery. Not sure who made it, but we saw this cake being delivered while we were there.

23562644874_f4b7f80338_z.jpg

Ultimately, I just wasn't overly impressed with the cake, service and options in dealing with the DLR bakery. I'll still work with the WDW bakeries, but one and done for DLR's. And while I don't need something as massive as the 1st bday cake above from an outside bakery, I still think you'll get a better cake if you go with an outside bakery. And it looks like @theluckyrabbit also recommends Susiecakes. So, maybe reach out to them and go from there.

Thank you so much for all the advice! It really helps.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking the "snack on the cake all week" sounded like a good plan! I'm planning to have the cake delivered, as a surprise, the first night, so we have the rest of the week to enjoy it.

Hi, everyone! I need some help/guidance. I'm a DLR veteran and passholder. We have family visiting for his family's 1st Disneyland vacation. To celebrate his son's birthday and my son's birthday, we plan on having either lunch or dinner at Plaza Inn.

I don't have experience in ordering an onsite birthday cake. We will be a party of either 10 or 15.

Does anyone have any experience ordering for a cake this size? Any rough ideas on prices? Looking for nothing fancy. We are staying at the Desert Inn & Suites so it'll be convenient for DL bakery to bring the cake to us in the restaurant.

I appreciate any and all help. :lovestruc:cake::flower::cake:

Wanted to show off the Anniversary cake we ordered from Disney dining and enjoyed at Carthay circle where the excellent waitress kept it a surprise from momma till the end of dinner.cake.jpg

Wanted to show off the Anniversary cake we ordered from Disney dining and enjoyed at Carthay circle where the excellent waitress kept it a surprise from momma till the end of dinner.View attachment 166567

I love this design and it gives me an idea for our cake. I did a cake for a friends Bday our last DL trip this time I'll be there for my wedding annv.
j

First time poster, long time creeper...
Just confirmed a cake for June, Star Wars theme to be delivered to BB, excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter