We Love Disney, Food and Wine! (and each other) - A Honeymoon PTR

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
I am so excited about my upcoming California/Disney honeymoon that I want to start a pre-trip report and planning journal :) I hope some of you guys can help me with planning details-I have never been to California (other than one ski trip to Mammoth Mountain) and also never been to Disneyland (although I LOVE WDW)!
Cast of characters: me and DF (at an Atlanta Braves game)
braves.jpg
[/IMG]
A little background....
DF and I got engaged during our trip to WDW last fall. It was a complete surprise to me :love: On the last night of our trip, we ate dinner at Citrico's, and then took the ferry over to the beach at the Polynesian to watch the Wishes fireworks. We watched the Electric Water Parade and Wishes from one of the hammocks on the beach. I cry every time I see Wishes :cutie: After the fireworks finale, DF turned to me and asked me if there was anything I wished for.... and then pulled out something from his pocket. It was the WATCH I had been dreaming of! (Yes, that's right...an engagement watch-it is what I have always wanted!!)
Here is a picture of a similar watch-mine is the same except it has sticks instead of the diamonds :)
1391_G_1235410934337.jpg

Of course I said yes!!!
Our wedding is this spring, and we're leaving two days later for our super-ultimate-dream California honeymoon vacation.

Congrats!!!! I wish you many years of happiness.

I love the engagement watch!!! Nobody said it had to be a ring....lol And honeymooning at DL, how fun! Can't wait to read more as the big day comes near.

Congrats!!! The watch is beautiful!!!

A DLR honeymoon is my dream! You 2 are going to have an amazing time!! :)

:love: First, get married :) Then 1 day to rest and pack; after that, leaving REALLY early in the morning for our flight to LAX!

Day 1 - Beginning of Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic Tour!
-Flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles. We have coach seats for the long flight but definitly would appreciate a little pixie dust/upgrade! Not holding my breath, but you never know....
- Adventures by Disney provides transport to hotel (Renaissance Hollywood). We have morning and afternoon free for exploring around Hollywood or possibly a quick trip to see some sights in LA/Hollywood...not really sure about the plans here!
- Wecome reception and dinner with Backstage Magic tour group.
- I want to see a movie at the El Capitan tonight. The Backstage Magic tour includes a backstage tour of the theater on Day 2, but I really want to see a movie here too :) I am anxiously waiting for the release of the show schedule for June!

Day 2 - Jimmy Kimmel backstage tour, Jim Henson Studios
-The Backstage Magic tour activities will last until late afternoon.
-I really want to see a taping of the Jimmy Kimmel show tonight; I've heard that some tickets are offered for the Backstage Magic group but since the taping schedule hasn't bene released yet for June, I am not even sure if the show will be taping this day. I just think it would be cool to see a taping after we get the backstage tour! If Jimmy Kimmel taping doesn't work out, we might try to go to an evening taping of another show...perhaps the new Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien?? (Although taping details haven't been released yet since the show doesn't premiere until June 1). We're on our own for dinner tonight, also....dinner will probably depend on whether or not we are able to see a show taping.
-If we are able to, I would love to go somewhere nice for dinner tonight...but I've never been to LA/Hollywood before so I don't really have a clue where to go! I would love to go somewhere historic or really cool in the area near our hotel (which is right in the middle of Hollywood) if possible!

Day 3 - Disney Studios, Imagineering, and Disneyland!
-The Backstage Magic tour today includes a visit to Disney Studios and Imagineering, then travelling to our hotel at Disneyland - the Grand Californian! I am so excited-the hotel looks so interesting and cool.
-We have dinner and other activities in the evening with the Backstage Magic tour, so not much free time. I am so excited about seeing Disneyland for the first time though!

Day 4 - Disneyland!!!

-Today, the Backstage Magic tour includes a morning/afternoon behind the scenes tour of Disneyland.
-We are on our own for the remainder of the afternoon and evening. I am trying to decide what we should do for dinner. Our visit will be during the Food and Wine Festival so we might want to try some of the wines and snacks offered (but not really sure what the details of the festival are yet...trying to figure this out). There might be a free tasting or demonstration we could go to as well. I have always wanted to try Napa Rose; we might go there just for a cocktail or appetizer at the bar if we don't end up going for dinner. Any other recommendations for dinner at either of the parks or at one of the hotels??

Day 5 - California Adventure!
-Today, the Backstage Magic tour includes a morning behind the scenes tour of CA.
-We are on our own for lunch. Again, not really sure what to do here...I have been looking at menus for all the DL/CA restaurants and so many of them look good! Also might eat something involving the F&W festival.
-Tonight is the farewell dinner for Backstage Magic.

Day 6 - Last day at Disneyland - on to SF!
-Today we'll have a few hours to visit the parks to finish up any last minute shopping or rides before we leave for the airport for our quick flight to San Francisco.
-We arrive in SF in the late afternoon. Still haven't decided on the hotel for SF. We are staying 2 nights. I think we'll want to stay somewhere near Union Square since it seems to be centrally located. i have seen some good deals for the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins, so we might end up there.
-I need to decide on what to do for dinner this night!!!

Day 7 - Exploring San Francisco
-This is our full day in SF. I am so afraid of prisons so we won't be visiting Alcatraz (DF has already been there, a few years ago).
-I'll definitely want to see Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, Nob Hill, ride a cable car, have some sourdough bread....other than that, not really sure. Open to suggestions!!! :)

Day 8-12 - Napa/Sonoma/Wine Country
-Today, we'll leave in the morning, get a rental car, and drive to Napa/Sonoma. We have four nights here. I think we might spend 2 nights in one place (maybe Napa?) and 2 nights in another (maybe Sonoma? Healdsburg?) Our plan is to relax, relax, visit wineries, eat, relax some more, and try some more wine :cool1:
-I am thinking we might want to stay 2 nights in a quaint B&B, and 2 nights in a fancier hotel/inn. Still researching this one.
-We DEFINITELY want to go to a spa somewhere here and get a massage or a couples' massage.
-So excited about choosing restaurants for dinner!!! :banana: I want to go to Ubuntu, and to Girl and the Fig. I haven't decided on the other dinners.
-Our breakfasts will probably be included wherever we stay, so we probably won't need a big lunch. Some of the wineries I have seen offer cheese or food pairings with the wine tastings, so that might be lunch on some days. And we will want to have a picnic lunch on the winery grounds on some days; I have read that you can pick up delicious picnic lunches at lots of places, and some wineries have great picnic spots:cloud9:

End of Day 12 - Fly back home, and rest for ONE day before going back to work :sad2:

So, that's our plan for now :) I really need to work on what we'll do and where we'll EAT during the time that we're not on the Backstage Magic tour. I am counting on you guys for some help :)

OH HOW FUN!!! You're doing the Adventures thru Disney trip!!! I've looked at those & thought they would be so much fun.....just not in our budget...lol :rotfl:
You'll have the time of your life & you'll be experiencing a ton of things in a short time....take lots of pics!!!

OH HOW FUN!!! You're doing the Adventures thru Disney trip!!! I've looked at those & thought they would be so much fun.....just not in our budget...lol :rotfl:
You'll have the time of your life & you'll be experiencing a ton of things in a short time....take lots of pics!!!

Oh yea we decided to splurge and take the ABD tour since it IS our honeymoon, after all...and it sounds like a GREAT way to visit Disneyland for the first time!!! I am so excited:banana:

Oh it sounds like a great trip. I live near the Wine Country. I love the engagement watch myself.:goodvibes

Here is my dress:
Eyelet_Cascade_001.jpg

It's pretty casual so I'm still trying to figure out which flowers will look best. The dress is actually more of an ivory/cream color (it looks kind of white in the picture).
I am planning on wearing some gold sandals or flipflops....kind of like this:
shoe.jpg
[/IMG]

For my bouquet, I am thinking of something white/cream/green, kind of like this:
7.jpg

I don't want anything too formal, since my dress is cotton and casual and kind of outdoorsy-beach.

I don't have a picture of how my hair will be fixed but I'm thinking kind of a casual low bun (I have short hair so there's not really that much that can be done to it), with maybe some flowers in the back.

And we are getting wedding bands : mine will be platinum, and DF's is the same style, but wider and in 14k gold
4154GXJBM5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Next I'll try to post some more details of our trip...once I figure them out!

If anyone has suggestions of what to do/what to eat in Disneyland, SF, and/or Napa/Sonoma, suggestions would be great!:cheer2:

Ooh I can help somewhat with San Francisco. I only liove 45 miles from San Francisco. I love your dress. It is so pretty. And how exciting. We spent our honeymoon at Disneyland and brought home a souviner that was delivered nine months later and she will be 16 this April.:goodvibes

How bout daisies?? Or go with long stemmed lilies? They'd be beautiful but still simple.
The dress is gorgeous by the way.
So exciting & it's not even my wedding!!!! :rotfl:

Gorgeous dress!

I'm not too savvy on San Francisco, but I definitely reccomend hitting Ghiradelli Square and I love Fishermans' Warf and Pier 39.

Congrats on the engagement!

I am subscribing to this! I would stay in Union Square in SF, it is definitely a great location. When my husband and I went we didn't stay near there and wished we did. As for the cable cars, go early in the morning because they are always full of tourists and it is hard to get on.

OOOhhh im from Napa so let me give you some suggestions!

As far as couple massage, go to Sonoma! They have one of the best spas there!
http://www.fairmont.com/sonoma/

Also, something fun and interesting and little better if your on a budget is the hot springs in calistoga, its a beautiful drive and you'll have a great time enjoying different wineries on the way up there...
http://www.drwilkinson.com/

When your looking for a little place to have some french bread, wine and cheese, you have to stop at V.Sattui. They have all the stuff you need for a quaint little picnic on their winery grounds.
http://www.vsattui.com/

I would also suggest stopping (since you'll be right across the street) at Dean & DeLuca, they have all kinds of stuff for the tourist in you, lol
http://www.deandeluca.com/

For dinner, a great place up in St. Helena would be Tra Vigne...
http://www.travignerestaurant.com/tv.htm

or
http://www.uvatrattoria.com/

or for a really fun atmosphere and some great mexican food you can either go to the Red Hen Cantina or a little more upvalley and go to Compadres...both are yummy!
http://www.redhencantina.com/
(I cant find a website for compadres but if it were up to me I would go to The Red Hen anyway, lol)

These are just some ideas, I have lots more....If you need anything else just PM me and I will get back to you !!!
I spent 32 years in Napa before I moved to Oregon, so I pretty much know it like the back of my hand....lol

;)

Hi congrats on soon to be married! :goodvibes

On your day in SF...you have to walk the golden gate bridge...it's a definite must for a 1st timer! (bring a hoodie!).....I hope you two have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for all the great suggestions and tips everyone! I am going to look everything up online this weekend when I have time :surfweb:

In San Francisco you should be sure and visit Pier 39. I love that place. It is a lot of fun. You can look it up online. I know they have a website. As a matter of fact there are several places that have websites like the Wharf. One thing that is fun is renting bicycles if you ride and taking a tour of San Francisco on bicycles.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. We're going to take a similar honeymoon in September, but we're going to san diego instead of wine country. And well, we're not springing for the fancy adventures tour, it does sound amazing though!

How bout daisies?? Or go with long stemmed lilies? They'd be beautiful but still simple.
The dress is gorgeous by the way.
So exciting & it's not even my wedding!!!! :rotfl:

I really wanted daisies at first...but I'm afraid they won't look so good against the dress since the dress is cream-colored. I might give it a try thought when I get the dress back from being altered. I am wearing my mother's wedding dress for the at-home reception in June though; it is white cotton lace and my mom wore daisies in her hair at her wedding in 1979; I want to also!

Congrats on the engagement!

I am subscribing to this! I would stay in Union Square in SF, it is definitely a great location. When my husband and I went we didn't stay near there and wished we did. As for the cable cars, go early in the morning because they are always full of tourists and it is hard to get on.

I think we've decided to stay in Union Square....it seems like everyone recommends it. We are thinking of the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental; almost ready to go ahead and book it. The price on hotwire is pretty good :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter