• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Defected to the West! DLR 2013

We just got back WDW last Saturday so I'm trying to play catch up here.

You're photos are amazing....as always. I can't get over what gorgeous scenery y'all got to experience!

Thank you! It's an amazing area I hope you can see one day too.

Any new updates?

I'm hoping to finish up over the next week. Just too much going on, including Timmy's cat almost dying last week. :( He's only 7 years old and it came literally out of nowhere. So even though I had just taken Timmy back to school last Monday after a weekend visit, I went and picked him up on Wednesday so he could see him again. We got him over the crisis, but the poor cat is still in very serious condition.

I'm so sorry Janet. I hope things turn around him. 7 years old is still very young so hopefully things will get better.

I'm so sorry Janet. I hope things turn around him. 7 years old is still very young so hopefully things will get better.

Thanks Mike. He has been diagnosed with a condition called chylothorax, which is very serious. It's a build-up of fluid from the lymph system in the chest cavity. They drained it, and we are treating him with a supplement that sometimes works, but he's up against some tough odds right now.

I just feel really bad for Timmy. I remember when he left for school being so grateful that "his" cat was still fairly young so unlikely to have serious health issues. You just never know.

Janet, just got home from WDW at the end of last week and catching up.

So hoping Timmy's cat pulls through. We get so attached to our furry family members and it's so hard to see them uncomfortable. Hugs to the kitty!

Janet, just got home from WDW at the end of last week and catching up.

So hoping Timmy's cat pulls through. We get so attached to our furry family members and it's so hard to see them uncomfortable. Hugs to the kitty!

Thanks Karen. We won't know for a couple weeks how things are going. For now he's much better. We are waiting to see if the problem recurs.

I hope you had a great trip to WDW! I'd love to hear more about it. :goodvibes

Tuesday December 10, 2013:

Was it really possible this was our last park day? My feet said yes, but 5 days just really wasn't enough. I'm still really disappointed DL doesn't sell any more than a 5 day ticket.

We've always had a lot of fun character interaction on our trips. The costumes we brought really helped start some of those fun interactions. But with Katie outgrowing that phase of our Disney experience, I wasn't sure if we'd get to experience any of that this time. She did agree to let me make her one gown this time, and we agreed it would be Sleeping Beauty since we were visiting her castle. I have a beautiful photo of her out in front of the castle in her Sleeping Beauty gown in 2006 and I thought it would be nice to bookend that with one of little Aurora all grown up.

Sleeping Beauty at HER Castle! by mom2rtk, on Flickr

So I packed up the new gown into our tote bag and off we went for our final day. We got to the gates at 7:40 and were let through at 7:45. We were up at the rope when I heard someone call my name again! This time it was egritz from the DIS. I had been chatting with her on the Christmas thread and in the photography forum for some time, so it was nice to get to meet her there!

While we were waiting, I dug the new Aurora crown out of my bag and Katie decided she wanted to wear it around the park. When they dropped the rope, we hustled up to our primary destination, Princess Fantasy Faire. That is the new princess meet and greet at Disneyland. I had checked the EE thread on the DIS and it listed it as being open during EE. Nope. So much for getting that done before the crowds got crazy.

Sleeping Beauty Castle by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9936_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9941_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Sleeping Beauty Castle at Christmas by mom2rtk, on Flickr

So we went on to plan B. DUMBO! It was reminiscent of our days at the MK when we would run for Dumbo at rope drop. It's not as big a deal at DL though. Since Peter Pan has no FP, everyone goes there first. So we had a nice leisurely spin on Dumbo, complete with me being chastised for turning around to take a photo of Katie in the Dumbo behind me. It's not like I climbed out of my seat, or undid my seatbelt, just turned at the waist to take my photo. I've been taking Dumbo pictures like this for years and have to say this was the first time anyone has said a word to me. Still, it was nice to have our tour of Fantasyland just like the old days before they relocated Dumbo at the MK.

IMG_9944_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9946_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9952_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9978_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

From there, we headed over to Tomorrowland. We still hadn't done Autopia and Katie wanted to ride. We soon found out it isn't open during EE, but does have FP so we decided to grab one later. We did stop into Star Traders to exchange the Christmas t-shirt I had bought the day before. Then we decided to head over to the train station to line up early for the Lilly Belle. This was our last chance and we didn't want to miss out. We got there around 8:30 and there was one gentleman waiting already. He said he got there at 9:05 the day before and it was already fully booked for the day. We didn't stand a chance when we checked at 10:30 the day before! Pretty soon someone else walked up so we just told them we were the first two in line. Some other people come up, but take seats and nobody feels they need to physically stand at the window yet. Then a woman comes up and stands at the door, so I tell her we are all waiting to sign in for the Liberty Belle. She proceeds to tell us she was first in line. Uh, no. So I stand in front of her and let the other gentleman stand in front of me until they finally open the door and start signing people in. We could have been on the first car but had breakfast at Minnie's at 10:20 so signed up for the noon car. They told us to be there at 11:45.

IMG_9982_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9990_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I was a little concerned about our breakfast running late and interfering with our LB reservation, so after walking around Main Street for a bit we decided to see if we could eat early. We were both hungry anyway. Thankfully they were happy to check us in early and we were seated by 9:25. I kept peeking around the restaurant to see which characters were out. First Dale came by. Then Chip. We like Chip and Dale, but this was the third character meal where we had seen them. Next was the Fairy Godmother..... the same one we had the day before. She remembered us and got ready for a photo. I asked her to turn so I could photograph the restaurant behind them instead of the buffet..... and she actually refused! LOL, that is the first character I have ever had refuse to turn a different direction for a photo. She said she doesn't do windows behind her. I understand that backlighting can mess with a photo, but my camera doesn't exactly scream "amateur". And that big old flash on top would have fixed any lighting issues. But whatever. We both got a laugh out of her "particular" nature. I also found it amusing when we got back and someone commented on the DIS about meeting the FG at Minnies, saying she had been really bossy.

IMG_0002_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0010_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0013_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0015_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0019_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Tigger and Eeyore came by the table, and I kept peeking around, hoping to find who we were after. I had heard reports from a number of people who had met Suzy and Perla at this character meal. It had been years since we saw them at the parks and were really hoping to find them. So how fun when Suzy snuck up behind Katie! We had her sign Katie's book then told her how long we had been looking for her. I pushed my luck and asked if she would consider walking over by the Christmas tree and she was more than happy to. I think she was probably just happy to have someone know her name! We asked if her friend Perla was anywhere around, and she made hand motions indicating she was walking around somewhere. So we waited and waited. And were rewarded for our patience when Perla finally showed up! Now, I will say, I did say I saw Suzy exit the back door near the kitchen at one point. And I never saw her come out while Perla was there. So it did cross my mind it might just be the same "friend" playing both characters. But I don't care. It was fun to catch them both.

IMG_0023_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0029_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0042_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0046_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0056_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0071_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0075_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Pooh dropped by for a visit and we were finally left, 90 minutes after arriving. We stopped to see Minnie outside in her Christmas sweater before leaving for good. 9 characters in all though, so not bad.

IMG_0078_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0085_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Fun pictures with the characters. Glad to hear the cat is doing well.

That looks a lot like the Fairy Godmother my sister and I met at the Plaza Inn back in January 2012 and she didn't seem bossy or rude to us. I can't believe that she would say no to your request.

And that is a good point about Suzy and Perla. I can't remember if we saw them together at our breakfast. Will have to look at our photos. You could be on to something. :rotfl:

I'm sorry to hear about your cat and hope he's doing okay.

A very nice morning at DL and to have breakfast at the Plaza Inn during Minnie and Friends character breakfast. A very nice fun day where you got to see a lot of different characters. I remember seeing Perla and Suzy during breakfast one time but not during the same time.

Another great set of pictures.

How funny about the FGM. I've read about 'her' being particular in other threads. Guess it's part of the character.
Looking forward to seeing Katie all dressed up! You're so talented. Love all your outfit creations.

Oh, how fun to meet up with Suzie and Perla! Quite a blast from the past! Photos are great! Hopefully, there will be a better "representative" of the FGM when you go this year!

Glad your cat is doing better! My two dogs send good healing wishes..........even though they ARE dogs....LOL!!

Fun pictures with the characters. Glad to hear the cat is doing well.

Thanks Mike. :) We really enjoyed breakfast at PI and look forward to doing it again this year.

The cat seems to be doing ok, even though he's not out of the woods yet.

That looks a lot like the Fairy Godmother my sister and I met at the Plaza Inn back in January 2012 and she didn't seem bossy or rude to us. I can't believe that she would say no to your request.

And that is a good point about Suzy and Perla. I can't remember if we saw them together at our breakfast. Will have to look at our photos. You could be on to something. :rotfl:

It wasn't a big deal that FGM wouldn't move for me, I really just thought it was funny! I've been taking character photos for years, and have never been shy to politely ask them to turn or take a step to the side if it made a better shot. She was the first to flat out say no!

I'll be looking for more reports from the parks to see if anyone sees Suzy and Perla in the same place at the same time! :lmao:

We did see them together in one of my favorite meets in 2008 at the Pirate and Princess Party. They had fun inspecting Katie's gown that night:

Suzy and Perla Cinderella's Mice by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I'm sorry to hear about your cat and hope he's doing okay.

A very nice morning at DL and to have breakfast at the Plaza Inn during Minnie and Friends character breakfast. A very nice fun day where you got to see a lot of different characters. I remember seeing Perla and Suzy during breakfast one time but not during the same time.

Thanks Bret. I really appreciate everyone pulling for Howard the cat. :)

And thanks for the report from the field on Suzy and Perla! ;)

Another great set of pictures.

How funny about the FGM. I've read about 'her' being particular in other threads. Guess it's part of the character.
Looking forward to seeing Katie all dressed up! You're so talented. Love all your outfit creations.

Thanks PiO! I still hope we find FGM on this trip, even if she is a little "particular". :lmao: I think I heard they took her out of the parks this summer, but that maybe she's back.

Oh, how fun to meet up with Suzie and Perla! Quite a blast from the past! Photos are great! Hopefully, there will be a better "representative" of the FGM when you go this year!

Glad your cat is doing better! My two dogs send good healing wishes..........even though they ARE dogs....LOL!!

Awww....... tell your beautiful dogs thanks for the canine wishes from across the miles. :goodvibes

We are hoping to see S/P again in December. They have just always been favorites of ours. If I'm not mistaken, we met Suzy and Perla on Katie's very first day ever in the Magic Kingdom. I'll have to see if I can find that photo and scan it. Yep..... it was in my pre-digital days.

I think I heard they took her out of the parks this summer, but that maybe she's back.

Janet, FGM was at PI in July when I did ABD - BSM. She was at the breakfast and I have a photo with her, though not a good one .........due to the lighting!!!

Tuesday December 10, 2013 Continued:

We both really enjoyed finding Suzy and Perla so decided to try and hunt down some other rare characters. I just love that it's even possible to do this at DL! Nobody was out by the castle where we had seen the evil queen, so we decided to go ask about her. We stopped at the times board and had them check. It seemed she wouldn't be out today, but they did find out Bert and Mary were due out any time by Coke Corner. So we sat on a bench for a few minutes and they appeared across the street heading our way.

We had a great meeting with Bert and Mary. They looked through Katie's book and asked her where her Mary Poppins costume was. I told them it must have shrunk in the laundry as it didn't fit any more. Bert held his cane out and had us do a "best foot forward" pose. It was a lot of fun.

Practically Perfect Pair by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0101_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0103_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0110_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0113_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

It was 11:15. Not enough time to go ride anything and make it back to the train station in time, so we decided take some photos out by the Partners statue. It was a glorious day with brilliant clear blue skies. It was clearly the best weather day of our trip with highs expected to finally get close to 70. Then we headed down Main Street with enough time to stop by Guest Relations to see what other villains we might find out in the park that day. Cruella was going to be out that afternoon, so we made a note and headed up to wait for the Lilly Belle.

IMG_0141_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0147_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Practically Perfect by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0156_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0158_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0162_2 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9897_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9901_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9904_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9913_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Tuesday December 10, 2013 Continued:

We had a charming guide on our trip around the park in the historic Lilly Belle. You could tell Fred loved his job. He kept the mood light and shared lots of stories as we circled the track. The car was gorgeous, and I really enjoyed photographing it. We were allowed to stand up and move around any time the car stopped at a station. Once again, I enjoyed peeking down on the riverboat in Splash Mountain. I loved chugging through the facade of Small World and made note that I would love to do that sometime when the lights are on.

I had heard people mention some sort of Grand Canyon display somewhere in the parks, but I never really paid close attention. So it caught me totally off guard when we entered the diorama phase of the ride. I thought it was really cool and really enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing that again from a more open train car, but love that I first experienced it by surprise on the Lilly Belle.

IMG_9916_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9923_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9924_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9929_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9932_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

All Aboard the Lilly Belle by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9937_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9944_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9950_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9955_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9959_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9963_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9967_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Katie really did enjoy the ride on the Lilly Belle, but what can I say..... she IS a teenager......

IMG_9970_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9979 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_9991_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0058_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0065_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_0066_1 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

And thanks for the report from the field on Suzy and Perla! ;)

It is possible to see both Suzy and Perla at the Plaza Inn during Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast. I haven't seen them together at the same time during breakfast but I have seen them one at a time during breakfast and later on they switch during the day.

A nice day at Main Street and to meet with Mary Poppins and Bert.

That is great that you were able to ride on the Lilly Belle during your trip. It is so amazing to ride the Lilly Belle around DL. Your pictures are very nice inside the Lilly Belle. It is too bad that regular park guests won't be able to ride the Lilly Belle anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter