We Defected to the West! DLR 2013

We'll be there in two weeks from Friday. We got our Magic Bands today! Woohoo!!! I haven't even tried to get a reservation for the restaurant. I am going to try again tonight. I was on the other side of the boards tonight and saw a couple of posts about how they moved the parade and actually saw you posted on one of them. I'm so glad they moved it! We are there on that Friday for our first MK day and was hoping we didn't have to deal with it but I think my wife was secretly hoping she could get on tv for the parade taping!

PPH is the only on-site hotel we haven't stayed at. I like that you can view WoC from the rooms if your facing that side. I'm not sure how long the walk is from there? I always thought DLH was kind of a long walk but at least you get to walk through DTD which I always thought fun because of the live bands that play there. Do you go that weekend as well?

Did you get a non stop flight or are you trying to get a closer airport?

Yeah! So glad the new parade schedule works out for you!

PPH isn't really that far from the parks. It's sort diagonal from GCH, so we usually cut through there. We'll be in a standard room, so no WoC view for us. But we still enjoyed our stay there last time.

Katie and I arrive on the 6th. Drew will join us later. Robbie is staying home since school is still in session. Well, and because he hates Disney. :lmao:

Katie and I are flying non-stop into LAX. Do you rent a car when you are there or have you used a shuttle? We still need to commit on our transportation from the airport. We'll be going out of SNA when we go home.

Katie and I are flying non-stop into LAX. Do you rent a car when you are there or have you used a shuttle? We still need to commit on our transportation from the airport. We'll be going out of SNA when we go home.

Both times that we've gone to DL we've flown into LAX and then used the SuperShuttle. Driving out there makes me :scared1:. I rather someone else do the driving! LOL I have driven in lots of big cities, but for some reason the thought of driving in the LA area just gives me the heebie jeebies.

The driver we had on the way back to the airport last time was really cool. He pointed out lots of things along the way like John Travolta's plane that was parked there at the time because he was in town for an award's show.

I was also kind of impressed with SuperShuttle because they called us the day we were going to arrive to verify the names on the reservation because they thought there had been a mistake and we had two reservations for the same person. My name is Melissa and my sister is Melinda (and no we aren't twins, we just had cruel parents!). I told them no there should be two reservations. I think we confused the poor customer service rep. She was really nice though and I thought it was nice that they called to double check.

You can also sometimes get coupons online for SuperShuttle. I know there is another company that DISers recommend as well, but I can't think of the name.

Transportation depends on how the trip is planned for us.

If we just stay at the resort the whole time then we do super shuttle. That has been only one time though and it went smoothly. All the other times we've added days to our vacation in either San Diego, Monterey, SF, or Yosemite so we needed a rental.

Both times that we've gone to DL we've flown into LAX and then used the SuperShuttle. Driving out there makes me :scared1:. I rather someone else do the driving! LOL I have driven in lots of big cities, but for some reason the thought of driving in the LA area just gives me the heebie jeebies.

The driver we had on the way back to the airport last time was really cool. He pointed out lots of things along the way like John Travolta's plane that was parked there at the time because he was in town for an award's show.

I was also kind of impressed with SuperShuttle because they called us the day we were going to arrive to verify the names on the reservation because they thought there had been a mistake and we had two reservations for the same person. My name is Melissa and my sister is Melinda (and no we aren't twins, we just had cruel parents!). I told them no there should be two reservations. I think we confused the poor customer service rep. She was really nice though and I thought it was nice that they called to double check.

You can also sometimes get coupons online for SuperShuttle. I know there is another company that DISers recommend as well, but I can't think of the name.

I was leaning toward Super Shuttle. We used them from SNA last time and it went very smoothly. Thanks for sharing your experience! :cool1:

Transportation depends on how the trip is planned for us.

If we just stay at the resort the whole time then we do super shuttle. That has been only one time though and it went smoothly. All the other times we've added days to our vacation in either San Diego, Monterey, SF, or Yosemite so we needed a rental.

Yeah, that would make a difference. We're staying at the resort the whole time so really don't need a car.

We saw an accident happen right in front of us on our way into Anaheim once and I'm in no hurry to get out on the roads there again.

So sad your trip is over, Janet! I have really enjoyed your report!

I wanted to suggest Lansky (formerly DK's Livery service). I requested that he pick us up from LAX in an SUV. Daniel (I THINK maybe he owns the company) was waiting for us when we landed. He helped us get our luggage loaded. I felt reasonably safe (LA traffic does make me kind of nervous, lol) and the SUV was clean. We didn't have to wait to be picked up and he was also on time to pick us up to take us back to the airport. We also got a 15-minute stop at Trader Joe's on the way to our hotel. The only issue that we had is that English is not his first language and it was hard for me to understand him (disclaimer---I am a hick from Texas :crazy:) They have specials for Disneyland. We will probably use him again next summer.

Thank you for taking your time to share your trip with us!

I don't have much to say, just that I really enjoyed catching up on the last installments of your trip. What a great mother/daughter experience :lovestruc

What lenses are you taking with you on the trip this time around?

So sad your trip is over, Janet! I have really enjoyed your report!

I wanted to suggest Lansky (formerly DK's Livery service). I requested that he pick us up from LAX in an SUV. Daniel (I THINK maybe he owns the company) was waiting for us when we landed. He helped us get our luggage loaded. I felt reasonably safe (LA traffic does make me kind of nervous, lol) and the SUV was clean. We didn't have to wait to be picked up and he was also on time to pick us up to take us back to the airport. We also got a 15-minute stop at Trader Joe's on the way to our hotel. The only issue that we had is that English is not his first language and it was hard for me to understand him (disclaimer---I am a hick from Texas :crazy:) They have specials for Disneyland. We will probably use him again next summer.

Thank you for taking your time to share your trip with us!

Thanks! I still haven't arranged our ground transportation so I'll check them out too!

And thanks for reading along. I hope you'll stay tuned for the next trip report! :cool1:

I don't have much to say, just that I really enjoyed catching up on the last installments of your trip. What a great mother/daughter experience :lovestruc

Thank you so much. :goodvibes I appreciate everyone reading along and sharing in our fun.

What lenses are you taking with you on the trip this time around?

Hey Mike! I have the kit lens (24-105), and have added a fast prime (Sigma 35mm f/1.4) and a zoom (Canon 70-200 f/4 IS). I haven't had a lot of time to try them out, so it will be interesting to try them at DLR. I did stalk the cats a bit and like what I'm seeing so far.

So sorry to hear about your little Kitty.

Great last days. I didn't know that train car was even there, that's neat you got to ride in it, it was really pretty.

Beautiful pics of Katie in her Aurora dress.

Awesome meet with Cruella! I love it when they are interactive, hope to get to experience that someday.

I hear you about coming home to bitter cold! We had a trip to WDW in 2010 (in Early MAY!!) where we came home to light snow. yes I said light snow. :scared1: MIL and FIL were picking us up and she called me while we were on the ME bus and asked if we had coats. I said, "no, do we need them?" they brought some for us to wear thankfully!

Love the TR! I guess you are getting ready for the next trip, hope to get to hear all about it!

So sorry to hear about your little Kitty.

Great last days. I didn't know that train car was even there, that's neat you got to ride in it, it was really pretty.

Beautiful pics of Katie in her Aurora dress.

Awesome meet with Cruella! I love it when they are interactive, hope to get to experience that someday.

I hear you about coming home to bitter cold! We had a trip to WDW in 2010 (in Early MAY!!) where we came home to light snow. yes I said light snow. :scared1: MIL and FIL were picking us up and she called me while we were on the ME bus and asked if we had coats. I said, "no, do we need them?" they brought some for us to wear thankfully!

Love the TR! I guess you are getting ready for the next trip, hope to get to hear all about it!

Thanks so much for the kind words. We are missing Timmy's cat this Christmas since he was a gift on Christmas Eve in 2007.

We got back from our latest defection to the west week before last. I'll do a TR and link it here when it is under way. I'm a little slow getting going as I update my computer to handle the image format from my new camera.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! :santa:

Thanks. It was a good one here.

I do sympathize about Timothy's cat. We lost our 18 year old cat this year. We let her go at July as her quality of life had completely gone. I got a new kitten for Christmas this year. The house was really empty and it was time.

Thanks. It was a good one here.

I do sympathize about Timothy's cat. We lost our 18 year old cat this year. We let her go at July as her quality of life had completely gone. I got a new kitten for Christmas this year. The house was really empty and it was time.

I'm so sorry you lost your cat. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your new kitty though.

Our older cat is 13 but thankfully doesn't show her age yet.

Timmy's not ready to add a new one, but we have 3 others already, and they have been a great distraction. :)

Hope you had a magical trip to DLR this month, Janet! Looking forward to hearing about it. I have a friend who was there a week ago and had a wonderful time.

It's hard to go through the holidays with a missed pet. Hugs to all of you!

I had a riot dressing my 2 dogs in "ugly" Christmas sweaters! I don't know that they were as thrilled but they were cute!

Hope you had a magical trip to DLR this month, Janet! Looking forward to hearing about it. I have a friend who was there a week ago and had a wonderful time.

It's hard to go through the holidays with a missed pet. Hugs to all of you!

I had a riot dressing my 2 dogs in "ugly" Christmas sweaters! I don't know that they were as thrilled but they were cute!

Thanks Karen! We did have a great time. And the weather was perfect, with only one rainy morning.

Thanks for the hugs. And how did I not know they even sold ugly Christmas sweaters for dogs? :lmao: Pictures...... or it didn't happen! :rotfl::rotfl2:

A bit late to the party, but have started reading some trip reports as we near our Easter 40th Birthday Bash.

I did laugh at your goat picture, I remember getting a tour bus to stop in Turkey, so I could take a picture of a Turkey. I just thought it was very funny.

My daughter has additional needs and I am already panicking about our trip to the Grand Canyon, so much so, that we have decided that it will be just an afternoon thing this time, I don't think my nerves could take having her so close to the edge, and struggling with her to make sure she holds my hand the entire time. So it will be a we came, we saw, we took a photo and we then left, trip this time.

Kirsten

Hey Mike! I have the kit lens (24-105), and have added a fast prime (Sigma 35mm f/1.4) and a zoom (Canon 70-200 f/4 IS).

What is your favorite "walk around" lens? From a previous trip report, I was thinking you were a big fan of the 17-55 2.8?

A bit late to the party, but have started reading some trip reports as we near our Easter 40th Birthday Bash.

I did laugh at your goat picture, I remember getting a tour bus to stop in Turkey, so I could take a picture of a Turkey. I just thought it was very funny.

My daughter has additional needs and I am already panicking about our trip to the Grand Canyon, so much so, that we have decided that it will be just an afternoon thing this time, I don't think my nerves could take having her so close to the edge, and struggling with her to make sure she holds my hand the entire time. So it will be a we came, we saw, we took a photo and we then left, trip this time.

Kirsten

Hey Kristen! :welcome: Better late than never! :cool1:

LOL on the turkey photo in Turkey! I like your style. :yes:

There are places at the Grand Canyon where you can take in the beauty and even get a nice photo without feeling like you are taking your life into your hands or feeling like you need to tether your daughter. :) I know there were some terraced areas on the south rim where you could stand and take a photo with 1 or 2 levels down below you for viewing. That way if you fell, it's just a few feet onto the next terrace. :yes: I know on the North Rim I liked the balcony on the back of the hotel there.

But there are indeed many areas for viewing that were clearly designed decades ago and have rather precarious looking railing with wide gaps. I would definitely avoid those. I had to step away many times with other people let their kids play around near the railing without supervision. It made me crazy nervous.

What is your favorite "walk around" lens? From a previous trip report, I was thinking you were a big fan of the 17-55 2.8?

Hey there my SDFP guru friend! :wave:

My favorite lens of all time was my Canon 17-55 f/2.8. It really is the go-to lens for Canon crop sensor cameras.

But I did upgrade to a full frame camera this fall, so that lens won't work on the new camera. I haven't really decided yet what my favorite lens is for the new camera. The kit lens (24-105 f/4) is fairly lightweight and has a great range. On a full frame camera, the 2.8 aperture isn't quite as necessary since the high ISO performance is so much better. But I also love what the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 does on the full frame. It just gives me the ability to shoot in even lower light. And it appears to be sharper than the 24-105. But it's a bit heavier. So there are trade-offs. So I'll probably just continue to swap back and forth depending on the circumstances.

For me sharpness will almost always outweigh all other considerations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter