WDW with service dog; tell me all about your experience!

For going through US airport security, check out the TSA's site - under the disability section there is a page with info. about going through security with an SD. (There are also pages for going through with other medical devices, such as wheelchairs, implants, etc.) I find it easiest to send my dog through the metal detector first and then walk through myself after it has cleared from her setting it off (her mobility harness has too much metal). Some people find it easiest to walk themselves through first and then call their dog to them, though, so practice going through doorways at home to see what works best for you.
There is a link to the TSA page on post # 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

You may also want to check with your dog's vet for any recommendations. Since you are coming from Europe, you have a much longer distance to travel than people traveling within the US.
I don't have time to look, but I thought someone (Ms. Butterfly, maybe) posted a link earlier in this thread to an international service dog organization. Even though the place your dog is from didn't have experience with overseas travel, someone in the international organization is likely to have had it.

Sounds like I should look up the ACAA.

When you do, be sure you have the current version, not the version that is new but doesn't go into effect until May. And when you search it, use the term "service animal" (not "service dog").

Somehow I didn't think it would be valid for flights to the US, silly really. I tend to fly bulkhead seat only anyway, but am running into a bit of a perhaps incooperative airline. They're refusing to assign the seat untill 24 hours pre flight, but also adding a disclaimer about not being able to guarantee, frequent flyers yadiya. It's a United codeshare (not operated by United though) so I had the idea I might get further when contacting them (ACAA and all), but they tend to be even more difficult to talk to.

Did you buy the ticket from United or from Lufthansa? Since having an SD, I've only happened to fly on US company-owned airlines even outside of the country, but I think the current ACAA applies to foreign airlines if you bought the tickets through a US airline - the new rules starting in May apply to all foreign-owned airlines as well as all US-owned airlines. So, look up the rules and any other info. you can find (if you can't find much, you may want to join an online message board for SD handlers to ask about it to). When you talk to the airline, if you get nowhere with the person, ask for their supervisor/manager/higher-up. Work your way up until you get what you need.

So far, Lufthansa (who is operating the flight) needed to be told we've got legislation within the EU about flying with a mobily disabilty since this year multiple times. Amongst others they tried to refuse Xippe, then told me he must travel in cargo. Neither of which is true, actually as long as Xippe behaves (which he should, considering training ;) ) the new legislation allows me to take him aboard with me. After pointing this out nicely they changed their tone, but somehow I've got this feeling I might have to point them towards the ACAA to actually get me a proper seat instead of playing wishfull russion roulette.

We still have problems with US-owned airlines not knowing the rules, so unfortunately I'm not surprised, especially if your law is brand new this year. What I've found works best is if you, the person with the SD, call them yourself instead of having the person who purchased the tickets (friend/family member, travel agent, etc.) call/ask for the seat. (I'm sure that's what you did, I'm just stating this for a tip for other ppl and any future trips you might make.)

I don't have time to look, but I thought someone (Ms. Butterfly, maybe) posted a link earlier in this thread to an international service dog organization. Even though the place your dog is from didn't have experience with overseas travel, someone in the international organization is likely to have had it.

I believe you're talking about the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners (IAADP) - http://www.iaadp.org . You can try e-mailing them your question, but they're not always good at responding to their e-mails. Hopefully they will help you, though!

I believe you're talking about the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners (IAADP) - http://www.iaadp.org . You can try e-mailing them your question, but they're not always good at responding to their e-mails. Hopefully they will help you, though!
::yes::
I was having a blank about the name.
Thanks

Good tip Sue, I'll be contacting the IAADP. Never hurts.

MsButterfly, I checked the current AACA but it clearly states to not be applicable to foreign carriers, except for the part about complaint handling.

I know the supervisor drill like nobody else. Lol, you don't even want to know what things (nicely but persistant) I've done to get stuff properly arranged with airlines. Not getting anywhere with neither UA nor LH though. They're sticking to their 'we've blocked all of these seats and they're only released at the check in desk'. And than a lot of yadiya about 'wanting to check if one is disabled indeed'. Sjeez, one would think me informing them about bringing along an SD, asking for airport assistance, confirming there will be an aislechair onboard and two wheelchairs would ring a bell; hmm, she might indeed be disabled. But nop, they actually want to see me in the chair, because who knows; I might be dragging it along on my back because I like carrying hundreds of pounds. :lmao:

Flashing back a bit (sorry if this is poor protocol - new to the boards and just found this thread)...

re: service dogs and the dog park at Fort Wilderness

Before Waggin' Trails was built we asked FW cast members about whether there was anywhere in/near FW to let our dogs (2 border collies) run off leash.

We were given directions to nearby dog parks. Nearest is about 20 min. drive away. We were told that there IS a fenced area next to the kennel in the front of FW, but that are was reserved SOLELY for service/working dogs to use (i.e., the general public - even those staying at FW or kenneling their dogs there cannot use it). Definitely ask about it - it's right near the parking lot - I think to the right of the kennel building - making it easily accessible.

The post about the dog park location is right - it's pretty much smack in the middle of FW and there is no nearby parking. There *is* an internal bus stop nearby though, so that might be an option, although not a very convenient one.

Good luck! :paw:

Good tip Sue, I'll be contacting the IAADP. Never hurts.

MsButterfly, I checked the current AACA but it clearly states to not be applicable to foreign carriers, except for the part about complaint handling.

Do check with IAADP about if you're still covered since you booked with a US airline. I thought I'd heard somebody say that before.

The airlines can ask if you're disabled, but not what your disability is.

For other public places in the US, they can ask if you're disabled, if the dog is your service dog, and what tasks your dog has been trained to do that mitigate your disability. They cannot ask what your disability is or demand proof such as an ID card, certification, special tag, etc. They also cannot charge you any pet fees (but if your dog causes damage and a human causing the same damage would be charged for it, you can be charged for your SD's damage) or segregate you to a certain area/room/table/etc. due to your SD.

We were told that there IS a fenced area next to the kennel in the front of FW, but that are was reserved SOLELY for service/working dogs to use (i.e., the general public - even those staying at FW or kenneling their dogs there cannot use it). Definitely ask about it - it's right near the parking lot - I think to the right of the kennel building - making it easily accessible.

Thanks for the info.!

And welcome to the boards! :)

Welcome BradyBZ!

Thanks for the info, MsButterfly. I know about the regulations (who wouldn't when regularly reading on the DIS ;) ), but it can never hurt to have them posted clearly another turn for whomever might need it.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread on here about somebody being asked papers for her kids (I think?) SD. That's when all the info was posted, or so my brain says. :)

Things have started really for real now. Xippe is no longer just training with me, he's moved in! Here to stay, at least untill we leave for the world in december. :)

That was me. At Poly they asked for "proof" he was a service dog. It was a big ole pain in the butt.... however, it is illegal to ask for "proof". I still carry it just the same.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread on here about somebody being asked papers for her kids (I think?) SD. That's when all the info was posted, or so my brain says. :)

Ah, yeah, I remember that happening to someone. Hey, I trust your brain over mine! My memory needs more RAM! :laughing:

Things have started really for real now. Xippe is no longer just training with me, he's moved in! Here to stay, at least untill we leave for the world in december. :)

Congratulations!!!! :thumbsup2 How are the two of you doing together so far?

That was me. At Poly they asked for "proof" he was a service dog. It was a big ole pain in the butt.... however, it is illegal to ask for "proof". I still carry it just the same.

That's too bad the CM wasn't properly trained in the law (or maybe slept through the training, LOL). I hope they were able to be educated (not some of the folks who refuse to look at the laws and such) instead of you having to show "proof" so that other teams in the future won't have problems there.

Oh no... they called the manager who also required "proof". Then I had them call the resort manager, also said I had to show proof. It was a big drawn out arguement. Probably 30-45 mins. Then I decided it wasn't worth eating time into our vacation. I showed them the paperwork I always carry.

Once I got home I wrote a few nasty letters (Including my friend who is an atty writing a nasty letter). Then I called the commission for disabilities in Florida. I had all of the disney resorts sent paperwork and facts on service animals.

I never did get satisfactory responses from Disney, which completely irked me. However, everyone else was very responsive and helpful in educating where obviously needed.

That stinks that none of them knew the laws!!! I can't believe they're not responding to you, either. :(

Next time, you might want to have them call the manager of another Disney resort or a head of Disney parks or somebody in the higher-up areas. Plus, of course, if you check in while the ADA Hotline is open, you can call that.

That is why I tell people to get a GAC even if they do not need on, to bring proof for a service dog, and other stuff. Even though you know the law and the site rules does not mean that you will not meet someone who will contradict you because they are misinformed, uniformed or have their own interpretation of rules and laws. I remember the post about the argument about the service dog. Guests do not need a GAC for busses but I heard about a driver who wanted to see one. I have heard of CMs wanting a GAC even though one is not needed.

Standard trip planning is to plan for the worst and for the people who are uninformed and especially for the stubborn ones that would not know the rule or law if you wapped them upside the head with a rolled up copy of the rule or law. It is sad that people have to prepare for the worst but it is becoming to frequently reported.

Hi Laura,
It takes a lot of time to traina dog. I have a mobility dog that I trained myself but I have had some experience training dogs so that helped. I also cant work so Im with my dog 24/7. My dog gets things for me and helps me to stand when there isnt anything for me to race myself with.(like arms on a chair) He goes outside and brings in the mail and news papers. He has been to Disney, Sea World, Discovery Cove and even Nashville where he had his vest signed by a bunch of country stars. Training a dog isnt for everyone but it is very rewarding when you do it.

Oh no... they called the manager who also required "proof". Then I had them call the resort manager, also said I had to show proof. It was a big drawn out arguement. Probably 30-45 mins. Then I decided it wasn't worth eating time into our vacation. I showed them the paperwork I always carry.

Once I got home I wrote a few nasty letters (Including my friend who is an atty writing a nasty letter). Then I called the commission for disabilities in Florida. I had all of the disney resorts sent paperwork and facts on service animals.

I never did get satisfactory responses from Disney, which completely irked me. However, everyone else was very responsive and helpful in educating where obviously needed.

Weird! I had no problems at the Poly at all. I think one CM asked if my dog was a working dog and that was it. :confused3

We did a lot of traveling this year and only had a couple of problems. Everyone at Disney was wonderful. We were there in July and everywhere we went there were cw's asking if Cooper needed water or anything. Sea World and Discovery Cove were great also. I did have a problem at a Ramada Inn in Nashville. They wanted to see Certification papers for Cooper. When I told them that there isnt any federal certs for a service animal they got rude abd told me that without certs they wouldnt give us a room. I told them to call the police who as it turns out didnt know the laws on service animals. We went out to the car and my wife was so mad that she called the corperate office for Ramada Inn. As my wife was on the phone the lady from the front desk came out to smoke and she saw my wife on the phone. From where she was standing she could hear the phone ring so she went in to answer it.When she picked up the phone and the woman on the phone said he was from corperate the lady thought it was my wife and hung up on her. She did thid 3 times!!!!!!!!!!! Well to make a long story a little shorter we didnt stay there but I wonder if the desk lady still has a job there. Funny thing is that we stayed at a Ramada Inn the night before that was also in Nashville and we didnt have any problems there. In fact the guy at the dest asked if we would leave Cooper with him to keep him company overnite. We also stayed at a Comfort Inn and the only problem we had withthem was that they wanted to charge us 30.00 to clean the rugs. (not because Cooper messed them but because that is what they charge everyone that has a pet ) I told them that they couldnt do that because he was a service dog and not a pet. They told me that if I could show them the law that said that that I wouldnt have to pay the fee. I showed them the ADA site and the guy thanked me and said there wouldnt be any charge. I bookmarked the site for them incase they had any other questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter