WDW with service dog; tell me all about your experience!

goofieslonglostsis

DIS Veteran
Well, the title says it all really; I want to read all about others experience with taking their service dog to WDW. I've read the info on the official WDW site, but that's not enough. I want more. And even better; I want personal experiences.

Please excuse me somewhat, I'm a bit jumping in my seat here. Just learned today that my claim for a service dog was approved and I've actually been on the waitinglist for almost a half year allready. :cool1: :cheer2: I almost kissed the guy that told me it got approved. :lmao:

Overhere it'll usually takes a health insurancecompany 6 months or even more to approve a claim (most get denied, by the way), so I didn't expect to get it approved literally within 36 hours and didn't ask about the outcome untill today. Some day, some where in 2008 I'll get 'the call', telling me they think they've found a match and wanting to introduce the dog. While I'm not holding my breath for it, one can allways hope -and prepare- that I can bring the dog along with us when we go to WDW in dec. 2008.

I can't give any personal experience about travel with a Service Dog, but wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on being approved.

And, for the people who do have experience with Service Dogs, it may be helpful to know when in December you are going.
It generally is not as busy in early December, but gets busier and busier the closer it is to Christmas. The time between Christmas and New Years Day is VERY busy.

Congratulations.pixiedust:

There are several regulars on this forum who use SDs; I'm sure they will chime in.

What kind of pluto: will you be getting? Also, just wondering what the service needs are.

Thnx both. :goodvibes I'm still a bit in disbelieve. It really is me getting a SD, wow.

Sue, we'll be going the first 2 weeks of december, so the crowds should be managable.

Cheshire Figment, it's not known yet (to me, big change the dogschool allready has a good idea, but they don't tell you untill later to prevent disappointment if something were to go wrong) what kind of dog I'll be getting. Biggest chances are either it being a golden retriever or labrador retriever, but it can also be a german shepard. They also work with poodles (spelling???), but I wont be matched to one. You can tell them what you want and don't want. For instance; what caractre in a dog would you like, would you like to have a dog that loves to go for a swim or not, what type of dog do you prefer or don't want etc. They'll then match puppies that are in training up, by looking at all those things and ofcourse the needs a person has. Because I was OK with 3 out of the 4 types they use the most, it'll be a surprise what they've got in store for me. I'll be over the moon with any of the three, but if some pixiedust pixiedust: would be granted, I've got a bit of a soft spot for the chocolate coloured labs.

The service needs that will be worked on are stuff like helping out around the house (opening doors and fridge, helping with laundry, fetching, switching buttons, closing and opening curtains, picking things up etc.), helping with getting personal stuff like getting dressed/undressed and a big part will be help when outsite. Opening doors, pushing liftbuttons, helping with groceries, fetching, all those small but oh so important things we all like to be independant in. We've also talked about teaching the dog when to get help and what to do if I get into a sticky situation (that happens more than is healthy), but that's still 'on the drawing board'.

I'm assuming you're from outside the US, since you said "over here". If so, make sure you check what the rules are for entering/re-entering your country with a dog for when you go back home - some places require more than six months preparation (and a lot of money). Getting an SD into the US is pretty easy.

Since you don't have your SD yet, it is going to be hard to explain how working with one at Disney goes because you haven't experienced working with one anywhere else yet. But, once you have your first few months of experiences, you'll be able to understand. Working at Disney isn't much different than working at different places at home, unless maybe you're a country bumpkin so you and your dog aren't used to crowds, loud noises, busy restaurants, etc.

If you get your dog too close to your trip, you may want to think about not bringing him. Since you'll be new to the whole SD thing, you might not be comfortable enough with the relationship and how things work yet at that point. An SD team isn't made overnight, even with a dog who is fully trained when he comes to his human. However, you also wouldn't want to get the dog too close to your trip and then leave him, as that could wreck havoc on the bond you need to form. So, make sure your program knows the dates of your trip so they can either look for a dog long before your trip or hold off on one 'til after your trip.

In the US, disabled ppl can bring their fully-trained SDs pretty much anywhere. No doctor's letter is needed and there are only three questions a business can ask: Are you disabled? Is this your service dog? What tasks has the dog been trained to do that mitigate your disability?

You're right, Ms Butterfly, I'm not from the US but from Europe. I've been looking into the regulations of travelling internationally allready. "Our part" is easy. Starting july of this year, there will be a law active in the EU protecting the rights of people with a disability travelling by air. Sort of like the AACA. It's very clear about travelling with a service dog; it should be allowed by the airline, free of charge with being able to take the dog in the cabin with you (within reason). Certain papers of the vet are required, but that comes along with having a SD overhere anyway. Re-entering the country is easy and no quarantaine.

I haven't been able to pull up the info that I was looking for concerning the US-part of the trip, but I'm planning on contacting the US ambassy in The Hague on that. Previous experiences tell me they'll be able to tell me how and what.

The dogschool is very providing. They know when I'll be going to WDW and allready offered to schedule around it if needed. That would mean they'ld start the teamtraining after my return. We both think it's more benificiary to both to not start training, pauze and go further or even letting the dog stay at home, so I'll either be done with the training and have had the dog for some time before I go to WDW, or the dog will stay in it's fosterfamily untill I return back.

If things goes well, that wont be needed though. Waitinglists are about 1 year, so if statistics were to fit my situation that would mean me getting the SD around this summer. According to the dogschool that's more than sufficient time to make the trip as a team. I've had dogs before and feel comfortable about that timeframe to be more than enough to form a bound emotionally. But then again; I've got no experience with having a SD, so I don't feel comfortable judging about the training and bounding as a 'workingteam'.

Lol, I'm a part-time country bumpkin. :rotfl: I live in a rural area and like it. Only a part-time country bumpkin though, as I like my concerts, volunteerwork (in a theater, so the dog will also get a cultural education :lmao: ) and entertainment too much to go without. A SD will get used to large crowds with me, that's for sure.

That's great to hear about the new airplane law over there!

Since you live there, your dog will have a "Pet Passport", which will make it easier for you to enter back into your country than it would for one of us to go over there (our dogs aren't eligible for "Pet Passports" - only the European dogs are). If I wanted to bring my dog to England, for example, I'd have to prepare for over six months and a lot of money for a rabies titer test and I think a few other things. Since you'll have a "Pet Passport" for your dog, I think things will be different for you, though.

For the US, all that is needed is a health certificate stating the info. about the rabies vaccination (make sure your vet says if it is a three-year vaccine or one-year vaccine! I always bring a copy of the rabies certificate with me as back-up, anyway, when I travel outside of the US - glad I did last year, too, as I actually needed it 'cause my vet didn't write down it was a three-year vaccine and we were on the third year of it) and such. The health certificate needs to be no older than ten days (which is good - some countries only give you 48 hours!). It is a very easy process.

Sounds like a good school you're getting your dog from. I'm glad y'all have already planned to go around the Disney trip! I do hope you get your dog soon, though, as I'm sure you can't wait!! :)

A culturally educated dog, eh? :) I'm glad he'll get some experience with large crowds and noises and such before Disney (if you get him before then).

Do keep us updated on when you get a dog and all!!

Congratulations! I'll never forget the day that my SD organization found a match for me ( I was quite fortunate and only waited a few months, paying nothing) and my SD walked up the ramp to my home for our first greeting. Now I'm madly in love and she hasn't left my side for even a minute during the past 2 1/2 years we've been together. Please keep us posted as to when you receive your SD- I'm so excited for you to find a new world of independence via a SD.---Kathy ( and Skye)

Wow, over 6 months of paperwork. That's dreadfull! Is that all cased because of the US dogs not being eligible for a 'pet passport'? Do I understand correctly if I've got this picture of the US customs actually making it easy for us europeans and making it very difficult for it's own citizins travelling with an animal? Wow, that surprises me a bit. Especially with the US having the ADA and AACA. I foolishly thought they would also have some kind of realistic 'rules' for being able to travel with a service dog equally like any other person, but unfortunately it sounds like you'll need a lot more thinking ahead than the 'standard'.

Good to know about the rabies vaccination. Knowing me I'll be overpacking on the papers, but it's allways good what to look out for with a bit more attention.

It's a good school. We've got multiple that you can use and apply for getting an SD through the health care system , but this one has the best reputation. They've been doing it for over 20 years, doing different type of SD's and really being all people that love their job. And you notice that so well.

I'll definately keep you guys updated. I've only known about this for a week, but I'm allready bursting out of my seems in excitement. I think I wont last another 6 months of this, so they'ld better match me up, like now! (dream on, they match on the best match and rightfully so)

Kathy, sounds like something that melts my hart. Hopefully I'll be just as head over heals as you've been ever since.

I think the 6th months Ms_Butterfly was talking about is to bring her dog over here, rather than to get back home again.

Good luck getting your dog; I hope he or she comes soon! :goodvibes

It is taking a SD from the US to Europe that takes the time and planning. One must pay for an international vet certificate that includes the rabies titre which is costly and there are other medical tests which must be verified. Our local vet has to send paperwork to a USDA vet, etc. and then it must be returned, all done very close in to the trip. For someone coming from Europe it isn't such a big deal.----Kathy

Wow, over 6 months of paperwork. That's dreadfull! Is that all cased because of the US dogs not being eligible for a 'pet passport'? Do I understand correctly if I've got this picture of the US customs actually making it easy for us europeans and making it very difficult for it's own citizins travelling with an animal?

I was talking about getting into England (and some other countries), not back into the US, sorry for the confusion! Most of the US just requires a health certificate (not more than ten days old) that states the dog's vaccinations (rabies is the one they care about). The only place that doesn't is Hawaii - even US residents (incl. Hawaii residents) going to Hawaii from the mainland US have to do the rabies titer (that's what the six-month waiting period is for - you have to wait six months after the titer shows the dog is vaccinated before you can enter Hawaii/England/etc.) on their dogs, service dogs included.

The blood draw for the titer test is not cheap (my vet quoted me on $135+ when I inquired one time), thankfully now IAADP members get half price on the titer test itself from one of the facilities, and then there are other expenses like the cost of the vet visits, the health certificate, and any other things the country may require like deworming and flea/tick meds administered by the vet within a certain timeframe before entering the country the dog is going to. For the place I was thinking of going to, I estimate it'd have cost me $400+ when all was said and done!

It's a good school. We've got multiple that you can use and apply for getting an SD through the health care system , but this one has the best reputation. They've been doing it for over 20 years, doing different type of SD's and really being all people that love their job. And you notice that so well.

That's really great! I don't know if here one can get an SD through a health care system or insurance. The only ppl who can get a tax break on SD expenses are ppl who spend more than a large percentage of their income on SD expenses (in other words, ppl who make a very small amount of money and spend a lot of it on SD expenses [food, vet, etc.]).

Don't be sorry, Ms Butterfly. It was a silly misunderstanding on my part.

Seems like there are a lot of 'hidden' costs to having an SD in the US. We've got the same tax benefit as in the US (one can deduct if low income and/or a lot of medical costs that weren't covered), allthough that's being cut for next year. Besides that, we can get a SD by healthcare (allthough dogs for those with for instance autism aren't -yet?- covered) and some that don't qualify but need it, can get an SD because of sponsering. Even 'my dog' will be partly payed for by sponsering, as the insurance company will only pay part of the total costs. For the SD users it's pretty good, when it comes to costs. It depends a bit per insurance company, but on the bigger picture you can claim about $1350,- per year of the costs you've made (vet, healthinsurance for dog, food etc.). I can claim up to $320,- per 3 months, which covers most costs. Reading about the differences in each country keeps reminding me that, while it's still pretty bad when it comes to public life and accessibility overhere, we've got a pretty good healthcare system to be thankfull for.

I work fulltime (still don't make a lot of money but more than the SGA would allow) and also have SSDI. In the US if you are receiving disability payments via the government but would like to work, you can use "impairment related work expenses" to offset your income so that you still qualify for the benefits. Anything I spend on my service dog is counted toward my IRWE expenses as it is considered something used to mitigate my disability so that I *can* work.

As to getting a dog..there are some programs in the US that charge a lot of $$ for a service dog, some programs that don't charge, and people who train their own dogs or hire a trainer. I too, wish that the US healthcare system was overhauled and would actually be fair to everyone regardless of age or income although I don't know if it would be a good idea for someone to have to qualify for a SD via the healthcare system. Here one has to qualify via the ADA and be considered as "disabled" under the ADA to have the right to be accompanied by a SD. The ADA rules are pretty restrictive as to how someone is considered "disabled".---Kathy

It's sooo oftopic, but so intriging to read about the different systems for each country.

While we can claim certain work related expensis. After being through the system to be labelled as 'economically disabled' -our disability payments doesn't look at the severity of a disability but at the loss in income because of it. Weird, if you ask me-, you can get stuff like transportation and aids needed to be able to work covered. No SD's though.

For an SD, we have to go through a double system. First an occupational therapist has to file a rapport stating your needs, what an SD could do and prove how this would reduce (yeps, it's all about money) healthcare costs. We've got a system in which you can get help doing household stuff if you can't because of healthissue's (and there is no one else to provide help). Great option, but it costs loads, so an SD will be 'cheap'. Second, you choose a dogschool and talk with them. They have to file a rapport if you're fit to take care of a dog, if the household is fit, if the dog can come to your work, what they think is realistic when it comes to your specific needs being met by a SD and than you wait. And wait, and wait. ;)

I went with the largest school and get a dog that's allready trained and has been in a foster family and training for about 20/22 months. Then it's 10 days training as a team, where you'll be 'intern' in the dogschool with about 5 other people getting their SD.

Then there's the option of training an own dog through a certain school. The dog gets tested on both health and caractre and if all is well; training begins. This is also covered by healthcare.

And then there are those that don't like either one and they'll train their own dog all on their own. Downside; those dogs will never get a 'official' status.

Biggest downside when it comes to an SD overhere; there still is no law whatsoever about the subject. Any store or restaurant etc. can blatently refuse you entry because of 'that dog isn't hygenic' or any other crappy made up excuse.

One thing you may want to do is join IAADP ( International Association of Assistance Dog Partners). They have members from all over, including Europe that are experienced with laws and there is support through this organization for your SD team. Also join one of the SD groups online. My favorite is OTService dogs which is for owner trained SD's but is really only limited to join by someone who is considered disabled under the ADA. The list owner weeds out people who truly aren't qualified to have a SD ( not a subject for debate here though) so you know that those that are in this "community" are qualified vs. committing fraud. Besides learning alot about laws and your rights, you'll meet alot of really nice people.---Kathy

Interesting reading about the differences in the health systems!

I second what dcl said - join IAADP. Their annual conference is actually in Europe for the first time this year - it is in England. You don't have to have an SD to attend. It might be a good thing for you to go, if you can, so you can see other working teams and see how they work together in public and all, plus you get to hear the seminars and everything.

IAADP's Web site is www.iaadp.org . I don't know what, if any, discounts/freebies you would get where you live, but there may be some. (Here in the States we have some really good ones, like free Cosequin/Dasuquin, free Welactin, 20% discount on orders from PetFoodDirect, and more. There is s'posed to be an up to $20 rebate on Ft. Dodge vaccines, but I tried that once and never got anything from them, boo.)

The only problem I have ever seen involving a service dog was at DCA's Who Wants to be a Millionaire show. The line to get in was designed so that it was nearly impossible for a CM at the show entrance to see small kids and service dogs toward the back of the line. They did not know there was a seeing eye dog in the line even though their policy was to let the dogs, wheelchairs, ECVs and GAC holders in first. I got out of line and told a CM who was a greeter who went over and took the party through the disabled guest line.

That's a very interesting website.
Thanks for posting it, Kathy.
And thanks to the other who commented on the organization. We are just starting to get into the 'service dog mode' on a personal level, so the information will be helpful for my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter