WDW guidebook/info for ECV

cheesekate2005

DIS Veteran
Where is the best source of information for using an ECV at WDW? My mother has splurged and is taking our huge family to WDW in Feb. She is renting an ECV from Walker Mobility. She has never used one before, she can walk, but not long distances due to arthiritis/bad knees. I am looking for information on where exactly you can take these things, getting on buses/boats/monorails, things to do for a slow paced day in the park. My mother is not very internet friendly so a good guidebook would really help her and a good thread would really help me! Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

First thing I would suggest is take her to a large grocery store or a Target or similar and have her use one of the free ECVs thery have available for shoppers. Just realize that the rentals are much smaller and more maneuverable than the ones in the stores (no giant basket in front).

I would also suggest plan as Epcot as your first park day as it has the smoothest and widest walkways. It is good for first use of an ECV.

For a book I would consider The Open Mouse which is available at www.passporter.com or at Amazon or many other large booksellers.

You might also want to click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. You might find Post #4 most useful and print it out for her.

Or, if you want an easier route, click on the link in my signature.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I already had planned Epcot for our first day:thumbsup2 and I have already told my mother to spend a day at walmart in an ECV (Great minds think alike I guess!). I checked out the Open Mouse book at Passporter and Amazon and it looks like the book we need! We are traveling with a large group that includes one ECV user, 6 food allergies and one very pregnant person - it looks like all of these topics are covered in the book! Thanks! I will check out the disabilities link too...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter