WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

If you're parking at TTC is it open early enough to get to the MK gates at that magical 45 minutes before park opening time?
no clue, we stayed at CR so we walked over, and at Thanksgiving we were at YC and took the bus. I did not see many, if any, people arriving from TTC that early.

Yeah now nobody needs to panic. Everything is green as far as the eye can see :)

Do you think this calendar reflects what park hopping will be like? Say for example today--MK and HS are unavailable, but AK and Epcot have availability. So you'd be able to plan on park hopping to AK or Epcot, but not MK or HS. Meaning you should always make reservations for MK or HS if you aren't planning to spend a full day at a park.

Does that logic hold?

Do you think this calendar reflects what park hopping will be like? Say for example today--MK and HS are unavailable, but AK and Epcot have availability. So you'd be able to plan on park hopping to AK or Epcot, but not MK or HS. Meaning you should always make reservations for MK or HS if you aren't planning to spend a full day at a park.

Does that logic hold?
I think so. We're leaning that way. Our plan is to keep hopping over to EP instead of Reserving a day there and worse case scenario if EP somehow hit capacity then AK could be our hopping back up.

We also have one extra HS day Reserved, figured if we end up not needing it we should still be able to change that early morning to EP or AK.

I think so. We're leaning that way. Our plan is to keep hopping over to EP instead of Reserving a day there and worse case scenario if EP somehow hit capacity then AK could be our hopping back up.

We also have one extra HS day Reserved, figured if we end up not needing it we should still be able to change that early morning to EP or AK.

Ah, that's a great idea. We currently have MK, HS, and AK reserved--I'll track availability and maybe we should switch AK to MK or HS just in case we run out of time and want to return or get enough of AK on a park hop.

Ah, that's a great idea. We currently have MK, HS, and AK reserved--I'll track availability and maybe we should switch AK to MK or HS just in case we run out of time and want to return or get enough of AK on a park hop.
What days are you going? Weekends look to be filling up for APs in the short term, but not during the weekdays. I don't see much of a chance for a weekday to hit hopping capacity anywhere. More likely to happen on a weekend or holiday.

Really I'm hoping it's a rare occurrence that hopping capacity is hit. Keeping back up plans in mind just in case.

What days are you going? Weekends look to be filling up for APs in the short term, but not during the weekdays. I don't see much of a chance for a weekday to hit hopping capacity anywhere. More likely to happen on a weekend or holiday.

Really I'm hoping it's a rare occurrence that hopping capacity is hit. Keeping back up plans in mind just in case.
March 13, 14, and 15 are our park days—Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Monday would be the day I’d switch from AK to MK or HS. I worry only based on the availability calendar for today, but that’s for your initial reservation. Is capacity for PH operating differently?

I know I've seen this a million times but can't find it anywhere - assuming a 10am RD "sticks" for DHS at the end of this month, it sounds like we'd get into the park around 9:15. Would the Skyliner from POP get us there in time for that? Our last visit in Sept we didn't even contemplate it since we had to be in the park for Rise BGs so took a Lyft to be safe, so my Skyliner start time/logistics knowledge is subpar. :) Thanks!!

I know I've seen this a million times but can't find it anywhere - assuming a 10am RD "sticks" for DHS at the end of this month, it sounds like we'd get into the park around 9:15. Would the Skyliner from POP get us there in time for that? Our last visit in Sept we didn't even contemplate it since we had to be in the park for Rise BGs so took a Lyft to be safe, so my Skyliner start time/logistics knowledge is subpar. :) Thanks!!
It’s much better now that you can get a BG at 7, I was coming from Riviera and there around that early before park open easy. Saw people coming from Pop and AOA station, not a flood of people coming off at CBR so I don’t believe there had to be a big back up there. Just keep an eye out when you get there of how the line looks in the morning because obviously it can differ based on how people act at the time.

March 13, 14, and 15 are our park days—Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Monday would be the day I’d switch from AK to MK or HS. I worry only based on the availability calendar for today, but that’s for your initial reservation. Is capacity for PH operating differently?
WDW isn't saying exactly how they're capping hopping capacity. It is different from the Res system since all guests are honored their initial reservation for the whole day (even if they leave & come back) until they check in to a different park. DH told me I'm probably over thinking all this, lol.

We should get a better idea seeing how MLK and Prez weekends work out. Maybe we learn that hopping isn't regularly having any issues, or that hopping before a certain time is your best bet to play it safe, etc. Just don't know yet because hopping has never operated under reduced capacity.

How far ahead should you reserve your park admission? What if we buy our tickets and the parks are full when we try to reserve?

Ok thanks. It looks like all the months are totally green and available except this upcoming week. And I guess no one knows how long this system will be in place?

Correct, no one knows how long this system will be in place and we also don’t know what capacity will look like until/unless Disney releases an update.

The reservation system has separate “buckets”: one for resort guests with tickets/passes, another for APs, and another for anyone with a ticket who isn’t staying on property. I’m not sure how reservation allotments are split between the various buckets but I know they can shift allotments among them (I don’t know if anyone knows when they do shift them or not). I like to book ASAP, just in case.

Last edited:
I noticed our tickets that we bought originally for LAST March's trip which we still haven't used 😢 now expire on 9/25/21. And I also noticed that the recent promos also run through 9/25/21. I know I've seen it elsewhere too. Is that date something notable?

I noticed our tickets that we bought originally for LAST March's trip which we still haven't used 😢 now expire on 9/25/21. And I also noticed that the recent promos also run through 9/25/21. I know I've seen it elsewhere too. Is that date something notable?
It’s a week before the official 50th birthday of WDW on 10/1. They know there will be abundant demand for the 50th and that people will come in prior to 10/1, so they stopped all discounts and tickets 1 week prior.

It’s a week before the official 50th birthday of WDW on 10/1. They know there will be abundant demand for the 50th and that people will come in prior to 10/1, so they stopped all discounts and tickets 1 week prior.
Ahhhhhh makes total sense....thank you!!

Ok thanks. It looks like all the months are totally green and available except this upcoming week. And I guess no one knows how long this system will be in place?
Josh D'Amaro said the reservation system is "here to stay" so I would expect it to be around for a while.

How far ahead should you reserve your park admission? What if we buy our tickets and the parks are full when we try to reserve?
You have to have tickets purchased in order to do the park reservations. Also, it depends on what time of year you go. Mid November through end of December had fluctuating availability for several weeks out. But January, Hollywood Studios is filling up just a few days out, so you have time.

We booked an August trip last night and tonight's activity is to book park reservations. We tend to visit in the same order each trip so it's easy to do and gives peace of mind that we have all the parks we want.

I've taken a month or so off from this thread between trips and of course have gotten very behind. Is the best Hollywood Studios rope drop procedure still to Uber either to Speedway or Boardwalk (with a mobile order from Boardwalk Bakery) and then walk? Staying at Caribbean Beach, and I am assuming the skyliner is still not a great option for HS rope drop? And what time is best for arrival for a 10am opening to beat the cars, buses, and skyliner? 8:45am? or earlier, later? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter