• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW cancelled our castle dinner?

That's really awful! An, yeah, not an "operational issue". Almost every other Chef Series event is at Golden Oak (one is at BOG in September and I certainly HOPE they will adjust reservation capacity in their system prior to ADR's being made so they don't do this to others). Why on earth do they think it's ok to announce this event in EARLY January for a Jan. 31 event and literally kick families and children out of CRT when most of those people probably made these reservations 6 months ago?!!! Nice event, but pick an ALTERNATE location that won't inconvenience people with ADR's especially in a hard-to-get place like CRT. There are PLENTY of them. OP, I'd be furious too. I think I would insist that they accommodate you with another back-to-back BBB/CRT reservation on a date and time that's convenient to you. And, I think you should be comp'd some of this too as I'm sure it will interfere with other plans. This is not cool.

I think you have to consider what would be the best outcome. You won't be eating at the Castle that night.

Would it be to have an early BBB and lunch at the castle?

Would it be to flip flop your CRT and BOG ADRs, and move your BBB to the new CRT day?

Would it be to get Akershus instead of CRT and them throw in Park Hopper?
this is what i was trying to say in an overly wordy way. Don't leave it to them to offer, figure out what you want (within reason, this $499 a person event is going on) and put it on them to make it happen. Be prepared for your next phone call.

That is utterly ridiculous. I would insist that they swap my BOG & CRT dates, and provide BBB appointments for my children at a time of my choosing on the new CRT date. They can absolutely do this - there are overrides to allow it. Do not let them tell you that there is "nothing available" as they can most certainly make it available.

Wow, OP I'm so upset for you. This is entirely unacceptable. While I'd still be upset if it was done in a timely manner at least you can understand somewhat if it was 4 or 5 months out that they do change things from time to time. But only a couple weeks away from your dates? That's just really bad business. I'd push for them to do a BBB prior to a lunch or swap your BoG and CRT dinners. Of course I can see how it could be hard for them to manage that being that you aren't likely the only family who is getting the boot from dinner that night. But this close to your dates they should absolutely be comping something for you.

I hope they get it straightened out to your satisfaction.

That is utterly ridiculous. I would insist that they swap my BOG & CRT dates, and provide BBB appointments for my children at a time of my choosing on the new CRT date. They can absolutely do this - there are overrides to allow it. Do not let them tell you that there is "nothing available" as they can most certainly make it available.

It depends on how many people they have done this to if something is available or not. Any place can only seat so many at a time, unless you would rather they push some other family out of their spot?

Don't get me wrong, I would be beyond angry.:mad::furious: But if they are telling the OP certain places are not available it is better to pick something else than continue to beat your head against the wall. How about the California Grill? 1900 Park Fare?

It depends on how many people they have done this to if something is available or not. Any place can only seat so many at a time, unless you would rather they push some other family out of their spot?

Don't get me wrong, I would be beyond angry.:mad::furious: But if they are telling the OP certain places are not available it is better to pick something else than continue to beat your head against the wall. How about the California Grill? 1900 Park Fare?

I can't imagine that either of those two would have availability that wouldn't require a CM override either.

Thanks for the information and responses. I'm a little more upset now that I know what is going on. Can't believe they waited this late to throw such a large wrench in our plans. I look forward to to hearing back from them and will share the outcome asap.

Now you know exactly why, that it has been planned for some time, and it is negligence on their part to have not made other arrangements long ago. Make sure you receive a result you are happy with - it is their hope every guest they call will just take what they offer. In this situation it is totally on them.

I can't imagine that either of those two would have availability that wouldn't require a CM override either.

Probably better than if everyone insisted on getting CRT moved to another night.

I would give it a go, but have a back up plan.

Now you know exactly why, that it has been planned for some time, and it is negligence on their part to have not made other arrangements long ago. Make sure you receive a result you are happy with - it is their hope every guest they call will just take what they offer. In this situation it is totally on them.
Exactly. I don't understand the people telling her to just come up with back up plans. That is not her responsibility. WDW booted her because a better option for them became available. THEY need to make it right.

That's horrible! We have a 5:45 reservation for 1/31. We have not been notified of any reservation changes yet, so either we made it under their cut-off time, or we haven't been notified yet. Switching me to Be Our Guest is not going to cut it. Not even close.
The website shows that they're open until 7:30 that night, so it looks like you made the cutoff.

I don't understand the people telling her to just come up with back up plans. That is not her responsibility. WDW booted her because a better option for them became available. THEY need to make it right.

We are saying she needs to ask for something specific. The realities of the situation are:
  • Dinner at CRT that night, at that time, is not happening.
  • The person who called her likely has limited override/overbooking capability: In other words, the CM can probably swap to BOG that night, CRT earlier in the day or maybe another day, but probably can't push OP and family in at California Grill or Ohana.
  • The CM can't know what is going to work best for OP unless OP has ideas to work with and discusses them.
Disney have already made an offer they think is adequate. If OP wants something else, OP needs to define what that is.

I think the best bets are:
  • Earlier CRT and BBB, that same day
  • Swap CRT and BOG nights, get BBB appointment on the new CRT day
  • Keep BBB and BOG the way they are, and try to get 1900PF for dinner after BBB and skip the castle entirely
Keep in mind that any of these is likely to be an overbooking, which is to say the new appointment will have everyone else with ADRs that day running behind after as well, so there will be a limit to how much they'll do.

Sure hope they work something our that you're comfortable with. I'm not one for piling-on complaints about Disney, but this blows.

Exactly. I don't understand the people telling her to just come up with back up plans. That is not her responsibility. WDW booted her because a better option for them became available. THEY need to make it right.
Their vacation is their responsibility ultimately. If you let Disney guess what might work best for you, you will likely come away disappointed. Also if it has to be one way with no flexibility and they really just absolutely cannot accommodate it, then you're at a stalemate with a lot of stress and drama about your vacation. I'm a realist, and I also take my future into my own hands when things are important. I'd be coming up with what I want most and at least one backup. Sometimes you can't get blood from a stone.

Last edited:
Their vacation is their responsibility ultimately. If you let Disney guess what might work best for you, you will likely come away disappointed. Also if it has to be one way with no flexibility and they really just absolutely cannot accommodate it, then you're at a stalemate with a lot of stress and drama about your vacation. I'm a realist, and I also take my future into my own hands when things are important. I'd be coming up with what I want most and at least one backup. Sometimes you can't get blood from a stone.

There is no reason Disney can't let them keep their reservation time, nearly a full hour before the "reception" is to start. This is their fault and it is terrible business to do this. All their failed high end endeavors (the cabanas, the after hours, etc) should show them that families are their bread and butter.

I hope it all works out for the very best OP. If you choose to go elsewhere or if Disney accommodates you, I hope you are happy and have a magical trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter