Waterproof shoe covers vs. sandals when it rains

ImarriedGrumpy

AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
Has anyone tried using waterproof shoe covers in the parks? I have totally flat feet plus bad knees, so I need to wear orthotic walking shoes pretty much all the time. In the past, I've brought a pair of water sandals with me to change into for water rides and rain, but my knees and ankles have started complaining when I stand or walk for very long in sandals. I'm trying to find a reasonable alternative that won't weigh a gazillion pounds and take up tons of space in my park bag, and I came across some waterproof shoe covers online. Has anyone tried these? If you have, what's your review?
TIA!

• Rach3975

DIS Veteran
    I haven't tried them, but if you do I'd love to hear your thoughts! We usually don't bring water shoes into the parks because with 5 of us it adds up to a lot to carry. This next trip we're going to try some of the water rides for the first time, so I think we're going to need to tackle the shoe situation.

ImarriedGrumpy

I have orthotic sandals which used to be fine, but lately I've been having problems unless I'm wearing the orthotic walking shoes. I can go for miles in the walking shoes, but I get knee problems after a half mile in the sandals. And they aren't cheap sandals, either - these are custom orthotics. I figure I could try wearing the sandals and also wear my knee braces, but I'm really not supposed to rely on the braces like that. I'm doing physical therapy in hopes of getting the issue resolved, but in the meantime I'm trying to research other options.

And hopefully if I keep wearing the right shoes and doing the right exercises I won't need knee replacement surgery for awhile yet!

Best Aunt

"That's the best-est present ever!"
    I think in the olden days those waterproof show covers were called "rubbers" (but that term has come to mean something else recently). I haven't seen anyone using those show covers in about 15 years.

starry_solo

DIS Veteran
    Why not change into sandals when you are standing in line to get into the ride vehicle? It can't be more than a minute or two, but this way you wear your orthotic shoes all the way til the ride begins. Then change out of the sandals back into the shoes after exiting the ride?

• ImarriedGrumpy

Why not change into sandals when you are standing in line to get into the ride vehicle? It can't be more than a minute or two, but this way you wear your orthotic shoes all the way til the ride begins. Then change out of the sandals back into the shoes after exiting the ride?
    I'm thinking more for when we're walking in the rain - that's what I'm trying to work out a solution for. But I do like your idea for going on wet rides!

shocker

It's a WDW realty that not every moment is magical
    I just bought some slip covers for my shoes, putting them with my theme park gear to try out next time I go. (More like sliding a zioloc baggie over my shoe than putting on galoshes). I'm only concerned they won't hold up to walking & may be more disposable than multi-use. But, I'll still use normal strategy of shelter in place when conditions are bad. Only time will tell after I can get them field tested.

Kickstart

Earning My Ears
    And just FYI - here's what I found that I'm looking at:
    View attachment 437087
    Interesting... I suspect the ideal application for something like that are situations where you have them on for a short period of time (like less than 30 minutes, or something).

I assume they keep water vapor in just as much as well they keep liquid water out. If you wear them for an extended amount of time your socks would probably be sopping wet with sweat :( That said, if you slip them on and off as needed, then maybe they'd work great.

• ImarriedGrumpy

Interesting... I suspect the ideal application for something like that are situations where you have them on for a short period of time (like less than 30 minutes, or something).

I assume they keep water vapor in just as much as well they keep liquid water out. If you wear them for an extended amount of time your socks would probably be sopping wet with sweat :( That said, if you slip them on and off as needed, then maybe they'd work great.
    I'm tempted to order a pair to test during the rainy season here. I often walk to work, so I could try them for the mile or so walk in the rain and take them off at the school when I get there. If course rain here is nothing like Orlando, but it would at least show me if they work well enough for a vacation.

Rach3975

DIS Veteran

I don't know how long the OP would wear them, but I'm considering them for just the length of a water ride. I wonder how many times they can be re-used before they rip or stretch out.

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran
    I have orthotic sandals which used to be fine, but lately I've been having problems unless I'm wearing the orthotic walking shoes. I can go for miles in the walking shoes, but I get knee problems after a half mile in the sandals. And they aren't cheap sandals, either - these are custom orthotics. I figure I could try wearing the sandals and also wear my knee braces, but I'm really not supposed to rely on the braces like that. I'm doing physical therapy in hopes of getting the issue resolved, but in the meantime I'm trying to research other options.

And hopefully if I keep wearing the right shoes and doing the right exercises I won't need knee replacement surgery for awhile yet!
    As to the highlighted statement, maybe your sandals are going bad. I have orthotics for my shoes, and when they go bad I feel it.

Feberin

Mouseketeer
    I've never used t hgt e slip on covers at Disney but the ones I have don't go very high. Last time I went to Disney a big storm blew in without much warning and while I managed to find cover the water levels got very high. Those slip on covers wouldn't have been high enough to keep my feet dry.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates