Waterproof shoe covers vs. sandals when it rains

ImarriedGrumpy

AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
Has anyone tried using waterproof shoe covers in the parks? I have totally flat feet plus bad knees, so I need to wear orthotic walking shoes pretty much all the time. In the past, I've brought a pair of water sandals with me to change into for water rides and rain, but my knees and ankles have started complaining when I stand or walk for very long in sandals. I'm trying to find a reasonable alternative that won't weigh a gazillion pounds and take up tons of space in my park bag, and I came across some waterproof shoe covers online. Has anyone tried these? If you have, what's your review?
TIA!

I haven't tried them, but if you do I'd love to hear your thoughts! We usually don't bring water shoes into the parks because with 5 of us it adds up to a lot to carry. This next trip we're going to try some of the water rides for the first time, so I think we're going to need to tackle the shoe situation.

I have orthotic sandals which used to be fine, but lately I've been having problems unless I'm wearing the orthotic walking shoes. I can go for miles in the walking shoes, but I get knee problems after a half mile in the sandals. And they aren't cheap sandals, either - these are custom orthotics. I figure I could try wearing the sandals and also wear my knee braces, but I'm really not supposed to rely on the braces like that. I'm doing physical therapy in hopes of getting the issue resolved, but in the meantime I'm trying to research other options.

And hopefully if I keep wearing the right shoes and doing the right exercises I won't need knee replacement surgery for awhile yet!

I think in the olden days those waterproof show covers were called "rubbers" (but that term has come to mean something else recently). I haven't seen anyone using those show covers in about 15 years.

Why not change into sandals when you are standing in line to get into the ride vehicle? It can't be more than a minute or two, but this way you wear your orthotic shoes all the way til the ride begins. Then change out of the sandals back into the shoes after exiting the ride?

Why not change into sandals when you are standing in line to get into the ride vehicle? It can't be more than a minute or two, but this way you wear your orthotic shoes all the way til the ride begins. Then change out of the sandals back into the shoes after exiting the ride?

I'm thinking more for when we're walking in the rain - that's what I'm trying to work out a solution for. But I do like your idea for going on wet rides!

I just bought some slip covers for my shoes, putting them with my theme park gear to try out next time I go. (More like sliding a zioloc baggie over my shoe than putting on galoshes). I'm only concerned they won't hold up to walking & may be more disposable than multi-use. But, I'll still use normal strategy of shelter in place when conditions are bad. Only time will tell after I can get them field tested.

And just FYI - here's what I found that I'm looking at:
View attachment 437087

Interesting... I suspect the ideal application for something like that are situations where you have them on for a short period of time (like less than 30 minutes, or something).

I assume they keep water vapor in just as much as well they keep liquid water out. If you wear them for an extended amount of time your socks would probably be sopping wet with sweat :( That said, if you slip them on and off as needed, then maybe they'd work great.

Interesting... I suspect the ideal application for something like that are situations where you have them on for a short period of time (like less than 30 minutes, or something).

I assume they keep water vapor in just as much as well they keep liquid water out. If you wear them for an extended amount of time your socks would probably be sopping wet with sweat :( That said, if you slip them on and off as needed, then maybe they'd work great.

I'm tempted to order a pair to test during the rainy season here. I often walk to work, so I could try them for the mile or so walk in the rain and take them off at the school when I get there. If course rain here is nothing like Orlando, but it would at least show me if they work well enough for a vacation.

I don't know how long the OP would wear them, but I'm considering them for just the length of a water ride. I wonder how many times they can be re-used before they rip or stretch out.

I have orthotic sandals which used to be fine, but lately I've been having problems unless I'm wearing the orthotic walking shoes. I can go for miles in the walking shoes, but I get knee problems after a half mile in the sandals. And they aren't cheap sandals, either - these are custom orthotics. I figure I could try wearing the sandals and also wear my knee braces, but I'm really not supposed to rely on the braces like that. I'm doing physical therapy in hopes of getting the issue resolved, but in the meantime I'm trying to research other options.

And hopefully if I keep wearing the right shoes and doing the right exercises I won't need knee replacement surgery for awhile yet!

As to the highlighted statement, maybe your sandals are going bad. I have orthotics for my shoes, and when they go bad I feel it.

I've never used t hgt e slip on covers at Disney but the ones I have don't go very high. Last time I went to Disney a big storm blew in without much warning and while I managed to find cover the water levels got very high. Those slip on covers wouldn't have been high enough to keep my feet dry.

Just wanted to give an update - I bought a pair of the shoe covers and have been testing them out during the rain here. I walk to and from work and it's just under a mile each way. I found a pair that has a zipper to make it easier to get on and off my shoes. There was definitely a learning curve in getting them on and off quickly, and they get pretty dirty (as expected) so I made sure I had a ziploc bag to store them in at work. And they're definitely not an instagram worthy look, but then again, neither are my orthotic shoes.
Overall they're working well for me. They've kept the water out, although I avoided puddles that went over the tops of my shoes. Surfaces that tend to be slippery were slightly more slippery with these on than without them, but it wasn't horrible. And my feet didn't get any hotter or more sweaty than usual.
Obviously a sudden downpour in tropical Florida is different than a cool rainstorm in northern California, but given my physical need for these chunky orthotic shoes, I think the shoe covers will be sufficient for our trip. Not ideal, and I certainly miss the days when I could wear sandals all day, but I know we'll all be happier if I'm able to walk and stand without pain.
Just wanted to pass this on for anyone else considering this route.

Have you looked into waterproof socks? I found some on Amazon that are typical durable polyester sock material with plastic in between the inner and outer layer. They are really comfortable and the only downside is a bit of squishiness when the outside becomes soaked. They also take longer to dry since they have to be done twice...once inside out...before storing. They dry well enough in the room A/C overnight to use just one pair on a trip. I’ve worn mine three trips now and on Kali and they work fine. I do wear them over compression socks so the fancy ones stay cleaner and I can remove them easily when the rain is over.

WDW pathways can be REALLY slippery when wet. Some areas are coated in something clear and shiny like the new area outside RotR, perhaps to protect the paint and texture from the corrosive washing that happens at night. When it gets wet, it is really slippery. Bathroom tiles can be slippery too and even some queues when it rains. Most pathways are designed to not be slippery but some just are. Your overboot test at home might not be equal to your experiences at WDW.

Have you looked into waterproof socks? I found some on Amazon that are typical durable polyester sock material with plastic in between the inner and outer layer. They are really comfortable and the only downside is a bit of squishiness when the outside becomes soaked. They also take longer to dry since they have to be done twice...once inside out...before storing. They dry well enough in the room A/C overnight to use just one pair on a trip. I’ve worn mine three trips now and on Kali and they work fine. I do wear them over compression socks so the fancy ones stay cleaner and I can remove them easily when the rain is over.

WDW pathways can be REALLY slippery when wet. Some areas are coated in something clear and shiny like the new area outside RotR, perhaps to protect the paint and texture from the corrosive washing that happens at night. When it gets wet, it is really slippery. Bathroom tiles can be slippery too and even some queues when it rains. Most pathways are designed to not be slippery but some just are. Your overboot test at home might not be equal to your experiences at WDW.

Thanks for that!

I tested them on the very slippery walkway at the school (the one we’ve been trying to get the district to fix for years) and was fine on that. I could feel the slip, but was still able to keep my balance and walk at a reasonable pace. It’s a bad section of pavement- kids aren’t supposed to run on the walkways, but they still do and the minute they hit that stretch of pavement they slip. Lots of falls every year.

Maybe try Tevas? They're very sturdy & supportive waterproof sandales. The orthotic sandals you tried might not have been right for you, but maybe you just need a different type.

I'd be very wary of anything that might be slippery. Falling can lead to broken bones, etc.

Maybe try Tevas? They're very sturdy & supportive waterproof sandales. The orthotic sandals you tried might not have been right for you, but maybe you just need a different type.

I'd be very wary of anything that might be slippery. Falling can lead to broken bones, etc.

Tevas are definitely not okay for my feet. I used to wear them, but they no longer have the right level of support in the right places. Back before all my foot/ankle/knee/hip issues I wore Tevas, Sketchers, Keens, Birkinstocks, etc. but now my doctor says those are out for any extended walking and/or standing. If I want to wear them when I'm going to church and just walking from the car to the building, that's fine. If I want to wear them to the movies, great. But no more wearing sandals when I'm walking more than that or standing for more than 5 minutes. I'll be wearing clunky orthotic shoes to walk everywhere pretty much now on.

I'm not all that worried about slipping - I've got good balance and haven't had any falls even on the slippery surfaces at the school, and I grew up walking on ice in Minnesota for 30+ years. I even got to prove my ice walking skills to my CA born son when we were back over the holidays and he kept wiping out on the icy sidewalks while I stayed upright the whole time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!