Waterpark etiquette ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I *did* read all the posts (yeah, well, I couldn't sleep) and one question comes to mind; I'd be curious to see what others think. Let me frame it:

At Disney parks and resorts, there are two types of items people use. There are items that someone paid for specifically: hotel rooms, strollers, lockers, rented boats, food, souvenirs, etc. I don't think I saw one post that suggests that any other person has the right to use those items.

However, there are also items which were not paid for specifically, and fall under what I'll call "common-use" items: A seat on any ride or transportation, any shop, restrooms, a bench, misting stations, a 'post-ride' game at many of the attractions, a 'spot' for a parade and - apropos to this discussion - chairs, lounges and inner-tubes at water parks. Now, I've wracked my brain (granted, it's late, but still....) and I cannot find one _other_ common use item at a Disney park where claiming it without continuously using it is considered proper etiquette.

If I were waiting to watch a parade and I spread out some towels at a great spot, then left them unattended for 45 minutes, I would not expect anyone to honor that 'claim'. If I put little "Reserved" signs in the front of Monorail Coral so it would be empty in an hour when I planned on going to lunch, I would not expect it to be unused. If I blocked off the misting station in Tomorrowland and left some park-purchased food and drink there so that in an hour it would be free for me, I wouldn't expect it to be free. And if I put a little tag on a lazy river innertube that said "Claimed by DrTomorrow" and let it circulate unused for a few hours, I would not expect that claim to be honored. So I confess to being uncertain why anyone would think that a lounge chair would be any different. Yes, Disney says "get there early to claim a chair", but it doesn't continue on and say "for the rest of your stay at the waterpark, regardless of actual use".

If someone could point out another 'common-use' item - again, something included in admission but not specifically paid for and meant to be shared by all - where someone can claim it is 'theirs' and prevent others from using it even if they themselves aren't using it either, I would appreciate it very much.

Be well,

Greetings!

I *did* read all the posts (yeah, well, I couldn't sleep) and one question comes to mind; I'd be curious to see what others think. Let me frame it:

At Disney parks and resorts, there are two types of items people use. There are items that someone paid for specifically: hotel rooms, strollers, lockers, rented boats, food, souvenirs, etc. I don't think I saw one post that suggests that any other person has the right to use those items.

However, there are also items which were not paid for specifically, and fall under what I'll call "common-use" items: A seat on any ride or transportation, any shop, restrooms, a bench, misting stations, a 'post-ride' game at many of the attractions, a 'spot' for a parade and - apropos to this discussion - chairs, lounges and inner-tubes at water parks. Now, I've wracked my brain (granted, it's late, but still....) and I cannot find one _other_ common use item at a Disney park where claiming it without continuously using it is considered proper etiquette.

If I were waiting to watch a parade and I spread out some towels at a great spot, then left them unattended for 45 minutes, I would not expect anyone to honor that 'claim'. If I put little "Reserved" signs in the front of Monorail Coral so it would be empty in an hour when I planned on going to lunch, I would not expect it to be unused. If I blocked off the misting station in Tomorrowland and left some park-purchased food and drink there so that in an hour it would be free for me, I wouldn't expect it to be free. And if I put a little tag on a lazy river innertube that said "Claimed by DrTomorrow" and let it circulate unused for a few hours, I would not expect that claim to be honored. So I confess to being uncertain why anyone would think that a lounge chair would be any different. Yes, Disney says "get there early to claim a chair", but it doesn't continue on and say "for the rest of your stay at the waterpark, regardless of actual use".

If someone could point out another 'common-use' item - again, something included in admission but not specifically paid for and meant to be shared by all - where someone can claim it is 'theirs' and prevent others from using it even if they themselves aren't using it either, I would appreciate it very much.

Be well,

Precisely.

:thumbsup2

Greetings!

Be well,

It is common practice at the waterparks to set up a base area and to leave your things there. This is common at Disney waterparks, Six Flags waterparks, and many other waterparks across the country. You are asked not to save more chairs than your party needs. Anyone who has spent time in the waterparks is aware of this practice. Waterparks are different than the other parks. Your examples are irrelevant to waterparks for this reason. For example, you don't walk around the MK in a bathing suit and without shoes. In fact, it's probably against the rules. However, this is expected at a waterpark. I have been visiting the Disney waterparks every year, multiple times, since they have opened, not to mention other waterparks around the country. Not once have I had anyone move my things off my chair. Anyone who thinks that it is normal and okay practice to remove or move someone's items from a staked out area has not spent much time in waterparks.

It is common practice at the waterparks to set up a base area and to leave your things there. This is common at Disney waterparks, Six Flags waterparks, and many other waterparks across the country. You are asked not to save more chairs than your party needs. Anyone who has spent time in the waterparks is aware of this practice. Waterparks are different than the other parks. Your examples are irrelevant to waterparks for this reason. For example, you don't walk around the MK in a bathing suit and without shoes. In fact, it's probably against the rules. However, this is expected at a waterpark. I have been visiting the Disney waterparks every year, multiple times, since they have opened, not to mention other waterparks around the country. Not once have I had anyone move my things off my chair. Anyone who thinks that it is normal and okay practice to remove or move someone's items from a staked out area has not spent much time in waterparks.

Precisely.

:thumbsup2

We've been to the Disney water parks a ton and never had any issues with this. I think it's being made into a bigger deal than it needs to be. Hopefully a mod closes the thread soon because nothing is being discussed here that hasn't already been said.

I think this thread has run it's course, so I'm going to close it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter