Waterpark etiquette ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I used to pack in my gun, but I got caught once so I switched to knife.

I tried bringing in a cougar, they said I couldn't bring him in at the gate, I claimed it was my seeing eye dog... he said it's a cougar not a dog.. I said I'm blind, how the hell was I supposed to know.....

It would have worked too, had it not been for the fact a really really hot college girl in a bikini walked by and I glanced at her bottom.

Again, the resources are NOT limited. Several posters have stated that there are stacks of chairs in cabanas at the water parks; CMs can and do bring these out if necessary - but leave them where they are if the park is not busy. During particularly busy times, chairs can be - and are - brought to the water parks from storage.

The issue genuinely seems to be more that these chairs aren't located exactly where the later arrivals want them to be.

Chairs are flexible: As has been noted several times, there are chairs stacked in the cabanas; and Disney can, does, and will truck in more chairs from a storage location, fairly fast, if needed.

I don't want flexible chairs... I'm not really a big guy at all, but I do want something fairly sturdy so I can put my entire weight down on it.

OP, sorry this happened to you! What classless jerks! I would never touch a stranger's things. That is wrong on so many levels!

And besides, what else are you suppposed to do with your belongings? Take them into the pool with you?:confused3

The ants wanted the grasshopper to share even though they did no advance planning and made no effort on their own whatsoever.

It's not that the grasshopper hoarded - it's that the ants unreasonably expected to reap the rewards without doing any of the work.

What? The ants wanted the seeds without doing any work?

Are you talking about the same story?

Again, the resources are NOT limited. Several posters have stated that there are stacks of chairs in cabanas at the water parks; CMs can and do bring these out if necessary - but leave them where they are if the park is not busy. During particularly busy times, chairs can be - and are - brought to the water parks from storage.

The issue genuinely seems to be more that these chairs aren't located exactly where the later arrivals want them to be.

When then, that being said, this whole thread is useless.

The new question is as follows.

Assuming someone has camped out on a lounge chair ( something that I am not personally in need of ) when I arrive with a chair supplied by Disney how much space around your lounger do you think is acceptable for me to leave as a buffer when I put my chairs down near your camp?

I'm from New York, we don't have much personal space up here... so I'm thinking 16 inches is good enough.

Anyone?

For the record, I sent this thread to the "The Ethicist" at the New York Times Magazine to see what someone who gets paid to makes decisions like these.

Has anyone actually been to a park since this thread opened and asked a manager there? I plan to do so next week when I am there.

Assuming someone has camped out on a lounge chair ( something that I am not personally in need of ) when I arrive with a chair supplied by Disney
Well, you won't. Cast Members will place the chairs where there is room.

But wasn't it Hopper that was hoarding up stuff ( the seeds/chairs ) that he knew was more than he needed? He didn't want to share right? The ants only wanted their fair share... pretty much what the people looking to sit down for a little while want...

It's the people that are claiming the chairs for the entire day and not using them are the ones acting like Hopper. Hopper wanted the seeds so he always had them IF he wanted them... just like the chairs.

Seems as though you had the story right.. .just didn't understand it.

No Bongi, once again it is you that has the story wrong. Hopper didn't do jack for himself. He just showed up and expected everything to be given to him or he was just going to take it from the hard working ants. See quotes below for further understanding.

Something like that. In the fable, the Hopper played all summer while the ants worked and stored food for winter.
At Disney, some families get up early, plan, and seize the initiative, while some relax and go with the flow. It's very similar to the debates about saving spots for the parades. Many "planners" become annoyed when a johnny-come-lately expects to be squeezed into the front row at the last minute.

It's such a silly argument that we shouldn't even be having...seriously people...respect others and leave their stuff alone!

Also, the people who can't find a seat at a waterpark are most likely the same people who whine about there not being fast passes for Toy Story Mania when they stroll into the park at 1:00 o'clock...imagine that...the early bird gets the worm! Everyone knows that getting to the parks at rope drop or soon after is an added benefit because it is less crowded and what not, why would a water park be any different?

We usually put our stuff UNDER THE CHAIRS. That way, we know where it is, we can grab lotion if we need it, and anyone who wants to sit can.

I agree that the original poster behaved badly. :(

Actually, this is what we do too. We don't have anything valuable (a beach bag with towels and sunscreen) but I feel better when they are out of sight. If someone wants to sit in the chair, fine. Just leave my bag alone!:thumbsup2

But is it wrong for ME to now sit in that seat that no longer has any items on it while the other poster takes them to the lost and found?

Surely I can't be guilty of any wrongdoing... I didn't move the things. I didn't sit in a reserved seat...

So in this case, two wrongs DO make a right... as I now have a right to sit in that seat.

:teacher:

Ok.. now pay attention.. I'll go slow..... Clearly you seem to have issues getting the idea of the ENTIRE statement and question made by me.

"You would find the chairs with someones personal things on them, "take" those things to lost and found and then lie saying that there wasn't anything there when you got there when they came back and asked about it?

Is this some sort of they wronged you so you will wrong them etiquette? "

This post by me wasn't referring to anyone sitting in an empty seat as being wrong doing. It was referring to the PP stating that they would take things left on a chair to the lost and found. Then pretend to know nothing about said things when someone returned and asked about those items therefore lying about it.

I have no idea where you would get the idea of two wrongs make a right when you completely missed the point of the situation.

If someone leaving their stuff is "wrong" to you is it ok to take their stuff to the lost and found and then "lie about it" when they ask?

If your answer to my question is that "Surely I can't be guilty of any wrongdoing... I didn't move the things. I didn't sit in a reserved seat..." Then I have to ask, what question did you think you were answering?

Either you believe it's ok to lie in reference to my question OR the answer you provided doesn't apply to my question to the OP about their statement making your entire point and answer MOOT.

You can't twist my question to fit your answer otherwise you aren't answering my question and it serves no real purpose to quote me. Clearly if you didn't take the stuff then you wouldn't have done anything wrong. So the question referring to such a suggestion by the OP on this topic doesn't apply to you or your answer.

Do you generally go around answering questions that you first twist? What exactly is the purpose of that?

My question - What is 4 + 4?

Your answer - What if it was 5 + 9? Wouldn't it then be 14?

For the record, I sent this thread to the "The Ethicist" at the New York Times Magazine to see what someone who gets paid to makes decisions like these.

Has anyone actually been to a park since this thread opened and asked a manager there? I plan to do so next week when I am there.

To bad they don't get paid to make them for Disney.

I think some others noted this but isn't this question of reserving lounges at the water parks just like the question of reserving tables at quick service dining locations before you have your food?

At the water parks: you are reserving lounges but not using them for lounging while others who wish to lounge are searching for lounges in which to lounge.

At the QS dining location: you are reserving a table but not eating at said table while others who have food and wish to eat are searching for a table at which to eat.

It seems that most fall on opposite sides in these different scenarios.

On the QS dining threads regarding reserving a table without food, most say it is rude to do so while others who have food are looking for a table to sit at.

But on this thread, people seem to think it is ok to reserve lounges when you aren't going to use them.

I contend that the dilemma is the same in both of these scenarios. Is it ok to reserve something if you aren't using it and prohibit others who need it from using it? The item you are reserving is immaterial.

Wow. This is a long thread.

I just wanted to mention that when I was at the CR pool this week, there were many chairs with towels on them (no people of course). The chair I was next to had towels (some wet/and a neat stack of dry ones) and a nearly full pink drink underneath it. I was there about 20 minutes when a CM came by and started to pick up the towels, so I told him that there was a drink underneath and I didn't know if the person was coming back. He said, "this drink has been here awhile" and took it and threw it away. And for the record, when I left 2 1/2 hours later, the person had still not come back. If there had been no seats available I would have been really irritated that I had nowhere to sit because someone else was too rude to pick up their mess. Sadly, I noticed that there were many chairs with towels that no one claimed by the time I left the area. I was glad that the CM did the right thing and cleared off those areas.

No Bongi, once again it is you that has the story wrong. Hopper didn't do jack for himself. He just showed up and expected everything to be given to him or he was just going to take it from the hard working ants. See quotes below for further understanding.

Well, I was literally talking about the movie. Which as I recall Hopper and co. had hoards of seeds stored in their little cantina.... I didn't say that he collected them himself, ( and it was more than he/they needed ) but he most certainly had plenty stored... it's a pretty integral scene in the movie... but maybe you forgot about it.

Go watch it again.. it's a great flik... er flick...

:teacher:

Ok.. now pay attention.. I'll go slow..... Clearly you seem to have issues getting the idea of the ENTIRE statement and question made by me.

"You would find the chairs with someones personal things on them, "take" those things to lost and found and then lie saying that there wasn't anything there when you got there when they came back and asked about it?

Is this some sort of they wronged you so you will wrong them etiquette? "

This post by me wasn't referring to anyone sitting in an empty seat as being wrong doing. It was referring to the PP stating that they would take things left on a chair to the lost and found. Then pretend to know nothing about said things when someone returned and asked about those items therefore lying about it.

I have no idea where you would get the idea of two wrongs make a right when you completely missed the point of the situation.

If someone leaving their stuff is "wrong" to you is it ok to take their stuff to the lost and found and then "lie about it" when they ask?

If your answer to my question is that "Surely I can't be guilty of any wrongdoing... I didn't move the things. I didn't sit in a reserved seat..." Then I have to ask, what question did you think you were answering?

Either you believe it's ok to lie in reference to my question OR the answer you provided doesn't apply to my question to the OP about their statement making your entire point and answer MOOT.

You can't twist my question to fit your answer otherwise you aren't answering my question and it serves no real purpose to quote me. Clearly if you didn't take the stuff then you wouldn't have done anything wrong. So the question referring to such a suggestion by the OP on this topic doesn't apply to you or your answer.

Do you generally go around answering questions that you first twist? What exactly is the purpose of that?

My question - What is 4 + 4?

Your answer - What if it was 5 + 9? Wouldn't it then be 14?

I am not the person missing something here.

What I am saying is that while the 2nd party took the 1st parties things to the lost and found, I... the 3rd party... now come across completely empty seats... with no people and no things...

I feel reserving a seat and not using it is wrong.

I feel taking things off a seat is wrong.

But I feel an empty seat that has no person nor any things is fair game....

Don't try to talk down to me if you are the one misunderstanding my point.

I totally understood your question... but it wasn't posed to me... it was posed to the person who said he would take your things to the lost and found.

So to turn your rude wording back around onto you, "Ok.. now pay attention.. I'll go slow..... Clearly you seem to have issues getting the idea of the ENTIRE statement and question made by me."

MY question, which is the most logical next step in the progression of the hypothetical situation you two had come up with...

a. stuff left on seat to reserve it
b. someone else takes that stuff to the lost and found
c. seats are now UNOCCUPIED BY ANYONE OR ANYTHING... and a third party ( in this case, myself ) who has ABSOLUTELY ZERO KNOWLEDGE that either of the first 2 actions took place, sits down... Is THAT person wrong for sitting there?

I was half joking about the two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case they do because it's now "my right to sit in those seats". Half joking because I know someone here would take it way too seriously and get into the holier than thou mode... which apparently you did.

So again... LET ME SPEAK SLOWLY! YOU misunderstood that the post I made was a natural progression of things if the situation you and Lexie had come up with actually happened in the real world.

Try not to be demeaning next time unless of course you really can't help yourself... because the way you came across in your post to me was rude... Which of course bred rude behavior from me back. It's a vicious cycle... though I did it intentionally to prove a point ( no, that does not make it right ) it kind of shows that anyone can be rude about the most diminutive things.

I imagine that if you got so rude here, over something as trivial as a post about a hypothetical action, you would certainly behave exponentially worse if someone were to actually sit on your reserved chair.

Relax a little... Disney is supposed to be a vacation.

To bad they don't get paid to make them for Disney.

When you say "they don't get paid to make them for Disney" were you talking about the writer for the times, or did you also mean the managers at Disney which I also mentioned... It would seem that "they" would get paid to do exactly that.

I agree that the former doesn't... but the latter would be quite appropriate.

I don't think this has anything to do with being a planner or not. We usually arrive at the water parks early (we make a day of it) but we don't "save" chairs for the whole day. In fact, we don't stay in one area for the whole day. We rent a locker for most of our stuff and just carry our towels, drinks and sunglasses with us -- we find a place to put them down when we want to do a ride or swim, and we decide where we we want to sit when we want to sit down. In fact, everyone we've ever traveled with does it the same way.

So...how do we know that the people who took over those seats don't do the same.

But I wouldn't have moved anyone else's stuff, even if I think it's chair hogging to expect to have the same seats when you've been gone 45 mins. However, I've been known to move resort towels off lounge chairs if nobody's been back for them after an hour.

Just as you can't expect to get the same seat every time you do a ride, I don't think WDW plans for everybody to be able to sit at the same time in a water park -- there just aren't enough for everyone. I really think they intend for the seats to be shared.

I am not the person missing something here.

What I am saying is that while the 2nd party took the 1st parties things to the lost and found, I... the 3rd party... now come across completely empty seats... with no people and no things...

I feel reserving a seat and not using it is wrong.

I feel taking things off a seat is wrong.

But I feel an empty seat that has no person nor any things is fair game....

Don't try to talk down to me if you are the one misunderstanding my point.

I totally understood your question... but it wasn't posed to me... it was posed to the person who said he would take your things to the lost and found.

So to turn your rude wording back around onto you, "Ok.. now pay attention.. I'll go slow..... Clearly you seem to have issues getting the idea of the ENTIRE statement and question made by me."

MY question, which is the most logical next step in the progression of the hypothetical situation you two had come up with...

a. stuff left on seat to reserve it
b. someone else takes that stuff to the lost and found
c. seats are now UNOCCUPIED BY ANYONE OR ANYTHING... and a third party ( in this case, myself ) who has ABSOLUTELY ZERO KNOWLEDGE that either of the first 2 actions took place, sits down... Is THAT person wrong for sitting there?

I was half joking about the two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case they do because it's now "my right to sit in those seats". Half joking because I know someone here would take it way too seriously and get into the holier than thou mode... which apparently you did.

So again... LET ME SPEAK SLOWLY! YOU misunderstood that the post I made was a natural progression of things if the situation you and Lexie had come up with actually happened in the real world.

Try not to be demeaning next time unless of course you really can't help yourself... because the way you came across in your post to me was rude... Which of course bred rude behavior from me back. It's a vicious cycle... though I did it intentionally to prove a point ( no, that does not make it right ) it kind of shows that anyone can be rude about the most diminutive things.

I imagine that if you got so rude here, over something as trivial as a post about a hypothetical action, you would certainly behave exponentially worse if someone were to actually sit on your reserved chair.

Relax a little... Disney is supposed to be a vacation.

LOL... Relax a little.. this isn't Disney and we're not on vacation :surfweb:. Perhaps you don't like being talked down to any more then I don't like my questions and points being missed or twisted. The question wasn't in a setting of progression. It was a question of yes or no, will Lexie lie or not based on a statement made by Lexie to Lexie.

I don't support people reserving chairs. I've never claimed that I did. My argument has been with how people who don't like others saving seats claim they would react.

Lexie said she would lie after taking someones stuff to lost and found out in what seems a reaction of spitefulness. I want to know how someone can lie in one moment and claim to be doing "the right thing" in the next.

If YOU come along an take the chair that Lexie planned to take during the course of her being spiteful and returning that in itself would actually be funny. Because then Lexie has done nothing more then waste her time and would return to find you sitting there. But at that point it doesn't matter to me because clearly you wouldn't have done anything wrong.

The same would be true if a CM came along moved some stuff and you followed to again sit down. You wouldn't have been in the wrong.

To answer you specifically and the version of the question you answered, no you would have done nothing wrong. But my question was not posed in a progressive manner as you claim. I wanted to know how someone can claim to be behaving proper while flat out lying. The question was direct and specific.

Personally my family and I don't reserve chairs nor do we touch others things. In fact we try avoid both sides of the situation by finding empty seats when they are available when we need them. We don't expect anything though. We understand that just because people believe things are proper in one case or rude in a another it's all based on personal perception.

It's totally left to the eyes of the beholder.

I imagine that if you got so rude here, over something as trivial as a post about a hypothetical action, you would certainly behave exponentially worse if someone were to actually sit on your reserved chai

Speaking of holier than thou mode have you actually read your response to me above? So you DO believe two wrongs make a right :).

I did want to make sure to say thank you for judging or at least "imagining" me though. All after a single post you imagine you know how I would react to someone sitting in my "reserved chair"... except you missed one small detail....... I don't reserve chairs nor have I ever. ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter