• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was I the jerk here?

To be fair, the OP was actually entitled to those seats.
And I said as much in post #4 among others. I totally agree the OP was in their right to stay in their seats. I don't think they were a jerk or rude by doing so. I just don't think it's a big deal in this situation to move over three seats.

Nope, you were definitely not a jerk and if anyone was entitled to give an eye roll I would say it was you. I think it is ridiculous that a group comes in late and expects another group to move to accomodate them.. Nope, not sorry.

Last edited:
I hate when that happens. You were fine to not move. Could you have moved to be nice? Yes, but you were completely fine declining their request. Like I tell my kids, You can ask, but they can say "no."

Once I went to a movie really early to get an end seat. I don't like sitting close to people so I purposely got to the theater early to get an end seat. There were two empty seats next to me and scattered empty seats throughout the theater. Well, just as the lights went down and the previews were starting, an older couple comes in and the man was kind of big and brash, huffing and puffing about how he needs an aisle seat to stretch out his bad knee. He points to me and says, "this little lady will move over so we can sit down" and motioned for me to move. Stupidly I moved because I was young and I was by myself and did not want to cause a scene. But I seethed the whole way through the movie. I had arrived a half an hour early and he comes blustering in at the last second. If it happened today, I would politely decline and tell him I need the aisle and that is why I arrived early.

This is why I like the theaters that you have to pick a seat when you purchase tickets.

I get this viewpoint, but it won't affect their enjoyment of the movie to sit somewhere else, either. So why should they be the one to get to choose their seats, and not me? Why does their preference supersede mine? Why make it harder on me?

It definitely could impact their enjoyment if there aren't enough seats for them to sit together elsewhere - which I get isn't your problem.

And, I mean, it doesn't really make it harder on you. You chose not to move and that's fine. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie though!

You certainly weren't under any obligation to move. If you want the seats, get there sooner! Most of the theaters here have gone to assigned seating when you buy your ticket, so you don't have to show up early, but you do need to buy your tickets early as the prime seats for busy showings go fast! I hate that.

Before assigned seating, I did used to hate when parties would come to a very busy movie, say a Marvel movie on opening night, then want to leave one seat between themselves and the next party. It's like, come on, you know this thing is going to be full! At least leave a pair so a couple can take it.

You certainly weren't under any obligation to move. If you want the seats, get there sooner! Most of the theaters here have gone to assigned seating when you buy your ticket, so you don't have to show up early, but you do need to buy your tickets early as the prime seats for busy showings go fast! I hate that.

Before assigned seating, I did used to hate when parties would come to a very busy movie, say a Marvel movie on opening night, then want to leave one seat between themselves and the next party. It's like, come on, you know this thing is going to be full! At least leave a pair so a couple can take it.
A few theaters near me have gone to assigned seating, I can't wait until more do. This is the way.

A few theaters near me have gone to assigned seating, I can't wait until more do. This is the way.
If it's like my area at first it takes a bit of time for everyone to get used to assigned seating and making sure they are sitting in their own seat listed on the ticket but after that adjustment period everyone is usually good and then you'll find with all or nearly all the theaters being assigned in your area everyone is really used to it. It really is nice now to not show up 30mins early just to get good seats. We do still show up like 15-20mins early if we're doing dine in especially with how they don't take orders right now at your seats due to staffing levels and so sometimes there's a line to order but it's nice to not have to worry about seating issues. It also helps for specific movie times, we'll see how many seats and just what seats are taken ahead of time and if need be we'll pick a different movie time, movie theater or date to see the movie. Kinda just takes the guess work out.

If it's like my area at first it takes a bit of time for everyone to get used to assigned seating and making sure they are sitting in their own seat listed on the ticket but after that adjustment period everyone is usually good and then you'll find with all or nearly all the theaters being assigned in your area everyone is really used to it. It really is nice now to not show up 30mins early just to get good seats. We do still show up like 15-20mins early if we're doing dine in especially with how they don't take orders right now at your seats due to staffing levels and so sometimes there's a line to order but it's nice to not have to worry about seating issues. It also helps for specific movie times, we'll see how many seats and just what seats are taken ahead of time and if need be we'll pick a different movie time, movie theater or date to see the movie. Kinda just takes the guess work out.
Our AMC dine-in lets you order food ahead of time in the app. I haven't tried it yet but I look forward to it. I don't think eating food besides popcorn at a movie is really my thing, but I want to try it out.

I love that our three theaters now to reserved seating for all seats for the very reason you pointed out. Late comers still get assigned a seat, so this type of situation doesn't come up.

Bottom line, I don't think you were wrong at all.

Our AMC dine-in lets you order food ahead of time in the app. I haven't tried it yet but I look forward to it. I don't think eating food besides popcorn at a movie is really my thing, but I want to try it out.
Yeah you can order in the app but is that good for the dine in theaters as in the meals that you would order through those particular theaters? You've been able to do that for concessions for several years IIRC (pre-pandemic) but for dine-in where the food is delivered to your seat does it work for that? The one we go to has a MacGuffin's bar that you are temporarily (well for well over a year now lol) order from. Usually it's a person who doubles as the bar tender and they ask for your seat numbers. I guess I could check next time we do it, maybe worth a shot. Def. would be if we were just ordering popcorn but we never do that if we do dine-in, we're there for the dinner and a movie vibe lol.

We enjoy dinner and a movie although the cost has varied a lot over the years and the quality too. Right now ours delivers the food to your seat in sorta to go style containers with plastic silverware and the container is recycled paper with a plastic lid for most items and drinks just come as the largest (since refills from your seat are disabled at the moment) but in the past it was plates, bowls, real glasses and real silverware. Last time we were there to see Maverick (coincidentally matching your movie choice) someone asked if they would be bringing it back but they said "we have to get people to come in in enough numbers to need the staff, once we have the staff we can go back to what it was before" soooo I'm going to guess it will be quite a while if ever TBH.

I love that our three theaters now to reserved seating for all seats for the very reason you pointed out. Late comers still get assigned a seat, so this type of situation doesn't come up.

Bottom line, I don't think you were wrong at all.
Not sure what you found funny with my comment as no humor was attempted in it.

Yeah you can order in the app but is that good for the dine in theaters as in the meals that you would order through those particular theaters? You've been able to do that for concessions for several years IIRC (pre-pandemic) but for dine-in where the food is delivered to your seat does it work for that? The one we go to has a MacGuffin's bar that you are temporarily (well for well over a year now lol) order from. Usually it's a person who doubles as the bar tender and they ask for your seat numbers. I guess I could check next time we do it, maybe worth a shot. Def. would be if we were just ordering popcorn but we never do that if we do dine-in, we're there for the dinner and a movie vibe lol.

We enjoy dinner and a movie although the cost has varied a lot over the years and the quality too. Right now ours delivers the food to your seat in sorta to go style containers with plastic silverware and the container is recycled paper with a plastic lid for most items and drinks just come as the largest (since refills from your seat are disabled at the moment) but in the past it was plates, bowls, real glasses and real silverware. Last time we were there to see Maverick (coincidentally matching your movie choice) someone asked if they would be bringing it back but they said "we have to get people to come in in enough numbers to need the staff, once we have the staff we can go back to what it was before" soooo I'm going to guess it will be quite a while if ever TBH.
Yes it's for concessions and the actual entrees and stuff.

We only go to theaters where you can choose your seat during purchase for just this reason.

I'm a planner. If it's a free for all for seats, I plan ahead and get there ridiculously early to get the seat I want. I planned and earned my spot. People who fly by the seat of their pants, show up late and expect others to bend to their will infuriate me. I would not have even answered "no" to them I would have ignored them entirely. No eye contact.

Sorry, I have two good friends who are always late to everything and it's a hot button issue for me.

So, no, you were not a jerk. They were the jerks.
:o Sorry if you were just being hyperbolic but that right there is pretty jerky.
Is it, though? What is the big deal with asking? If the answer is no then move on. Now, if you act all huffy about being denied, that seems to me to be where an entitled attitude shows up. Common courtesy all around is a good place to start—ask nicely, decline nicely. Move on without nasty comments on either side.
Love this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter