Was I Being a Germaphobe?

I'm kind of a germaphobe myself & wouldn't eat the chips. That said, I don't think I'm going to get e. coli from them. That's a ridiculous stretch. The person making that connection should give it a rest & accept the fact that she appears to not be living in reality. I simply prefer to not know there are dirt or germs of any kind in my food. I realize out of sight out of mind often occurs in these situations, but I prefer to not see it. As the saying goes, what we don't know won't hurt us or something like that.

I'll say it again - according to the CDC the most common way E coli is spread from person to person is through fecal contamination: not washing your hands after using the bathroom. I didn't make this up. If you're not bothered by this, fine. I just said that it is a chance I don't want to take. Believe me, it would be a blessing to have this whole thing shut down. I've proved my point, and I've pointed out the people who didn't know what they were talking about. (Like when Pea-n-Me said that people don't harbor that type of E coli on their fingertips.) But as long as people are going to call me out or tell me I'm not living in reality I'm going to keep responding.

Last edited:
I'll say it again - according to the CDC the most common way E coli is spread from person to person is through fecal contamination: not washing your hands after using the bathroom. I didn't make this up. If you're not bothered by this, fine. I just said that it is a chance I don't want to take. Believe me, it would be a blessing to have this whole thing shut down. I've proved my point, and I've pointed out the people who didn't know what they were talking about. But as long as people are going to call me out or tell me I'm not living in reality I'm going to keep responding.

The OP didn't mention anything about these kids using the bathroom prior to the party. She even noted that there were no bathrooms there. You made a crazy leap that is beyond ridiculous, yet you keep defending it. Your constant replies defending an extremely unlikely scenario are making you look clueless. You really should give it a rest. Continuing to argue a topic, which you obviously know very little about, isn't a wise choice. In most cases, I defend the underdog. In this case, you really should walk away.

The OP didn't mention anything about these kids using the bathroom prior to the party. She even noted that there were no bathrooms there. You made a crazy leap that is beyond ridiculous, yet you keep defending it. Your constant replies defending an extremely unlikely scenario are making you look clueless. You really should give it a rest. Continuing to argue a topic, which you obviously know very little about. isn't a wise choice. In most cases, I defend the underdog. In this case, you'd be better off walking away.

You just made the best point - there were no bathrooms there. That is pretty relevant. Funny no one else caught that. I still wouldn't have eaten the chips - kids are filthy. And my facts about E coli are still just that: facts.

Last edited:
You just made the best point - there were no bathrooms there. That is pretty relevant. Funny no one else caught that. I still wouldn't have eaten the chips - kids are filthy. And my facts about E coli are still just that: facts.
That also means your E coli argument is irrelevant. I'm not sure why you keep arguing about something that is extremely unlikely to happen, even if there were bathrooms. :confused3 This comes from a self professed germaphobe. If you had a valid argument, I would be the first person to defend you.

That also means your E coli argument is irrelevant. I'm not sure why you keep arguing about something that is extremely unlikely to happen, even if there were bathrooms. :confused3 This comes from a self professed germaphobe. If you had a valid argument, I would be the first person to defend you.

Not really - obviously it probably doesn't hold for this situation. But the facts are still the facts. At least I knew - unlike Pea-n-Me ( is this the nurse?), that E coli can be spread person to person through poor hygiene - not washing your hands after using the bathroom. As I've said many times here: I was merely saying what I would or wouldn't do and why. A few chips just isn't worth the risk, to me.

Last edited:
There are more common infections and viruses to be concerned about.

Bottom line is this: Everyone should practice good handwashing, but that's not always possible and sanitizer is all but useless in a lot of instances. Healthy humans have pretty good resistance and can usually fight off a good amount of bacteria/viruses. We eat much worse and end up with a lot more germs in our mouths than whatever brushes off of someone's hand in a bag of chips, no matter how cautious one thinks they are.

Someone has gotten themselves in deep doo doo and doesn't like to be wrong.

I'll say it again - the whole hoopla is over the fact that I said the most common way E coli spreads from person to person is through bad hygiene. This is correct. Some claimed I was spreading falsehoods, but what I said is correct. There is enough of a risk that on the CDC's website, under how to avoid E coli, the very first thing said is to wash your hands thoroughly after using the bathroom. Some think there isn't much risk - this is fine. I truly don't mind them eating whatever they want to eat. I don't want to take that risk. Yes, turns out this probably doesn't apply to the OP's original question, but the facts I stated remain the same. Where the "deep doo doo" line is very funny, I'm not in it. And there is actually nothing you can say that will make me look any worse than Pea-n-Me looks for not knowing that E coli can be spread through poor hygiene. Is that the nurse?

I've proved my point, and I've pointed out the people who didn't know what they were talking about. (Like when Pea-n-Me said that people don't harbor that type of E coli on their fingertips.)
Actually, you didn't "prove you point". @Jennasis and myself provided links and quotes to help you out. And you keep saying throughout the thread "I don't know another way to interpret that" (or similar). I suggest thinking if 95% of people interpret something one way, and the remainder a different way, it's shouldn't be too hard to look at things like 95% of others.

Bottom line, the chance of catching Ecoli from a shared bag of chips is EXTREMELY rare. The chance of catching Ecoli period (no matter how) is also very rare. If you want to worry about that minuscule of a percentage, go ahead.

I'll say it again - the whole hoopla is over the fact that I said the most common way E coli spreads from person to person is through bad hygiene. This is correct. Some claimed I was spreading falsehoods, but what I said is correct. There is enough of a risk that on the CDC's website, under how to avoid E coli, the very first thing said is to wash your hands thoroughly after using the bathroom. Some think there isn't much risk - this is fine. I truly don't mind them eating whatever they want to eat. I don't want to take that risk. Yes, turns out this probably doesn't apply to the OP's original question, but the facts I stated remain the same. Where the "deep doo doo" line is very funny, I'm not in it. And there is actually nothing you can say that will make me look any worse than Pea-n-Me looks for not knowing that E coli can be spread through poor hygiene. Is that the nurse?

Why do you keep asking who the nurse is? Does it matter?

And no one said that it CAN’T be spread through poor hygiene. Again, not likely is not the same as not possible.

The whole hoopla over ecoli, is continuing because someone keeps dragging it up. The rest of us don't care. The person you are upset with has moved on. There's a great phrase in message boards when you can't come to an agreement. Let's agree to disagree. You are not changing any opinions by continuing.

It's become quite amusing to see what lengths you are going through. Folks will remember you and this thread, that's for sure.

Actually, you didn't "prove you point". @Jennasis and myself provided links and quotes to help you out. And you keep saying throughout the thread "I don't know another way to interpret that" (or similar). I suggest thinking if 95% of people interrupt something one way, and the remainder a different way, it's shouldn't be too hard to look at things like 95% of others.

Bottom line, the chance of catching Ecoli from a shared bag of chips is EXTREMELY rare. The chance of catching Ecoli period (no matter how) is also very rare. If you want to worry about that minuscule of a percentage, go ahead.
Exactly.

YES... The most common way to spread E. coli is through poor handwashing. But the bacterium has to BE THERE in the first place, someone has to be infected. It's not common, it's not one that people just happen to carry...ETA- Obviously I'm speaking of the strains that cause gastro/intestinal infections, not the common ones that ARE part of the normal gut flora.

Actually, you didn't "prove you point". @Jennasis and myself provided links and quotes to help you out. And you keep saying throughout the thread "I don't know another way to interpret that" (or similar). I suggest thinking if 95% of people interpret something one way, and the remainder a different way, it's shouldn't be too hard to look at things like 95% of others.

I provided facts - you don't want to believe them that's not on me, you're free to look into it on your own. If you'll look at my post, when I said "I don't know any other way to interpret it" is when someone tried to tell me that no one said E coli couldn't be spread due to poor hygiene, which, in fact they did. Bottom line - all I said was I don't want to take that chance, you're certainly free to do as you wish.

Why do you keep asking who the nurse is? Does it matter?

And no one said that it CAN’T be spread through poor hygiene. Again, not likely is not the same as not possible.

Because I was told that there was a nurse that I should pay attention to and I'm wondering who that is. And yes, 2 people absolutely did say that.

The whole hoopla over ecoli, is continuing because someone keeps dragging it up. The rest of us don't care. The person you are upset with has moved on. There's a great phrase in message boards when you can't come to an agreement. Let's agree to disagree. You are not changing any opinions by continuing.

It's become quite amusing to see what lengths you are going through. Folks will remember you and this thread, that's for sure.

If you don't care I don't understand why you are still replying to this thread. I'm only responding to you all - you can end this any time.

Exactly.

YES... The most common way to spread E. coli is through poor handwashing. But the bacterium has to BE THERE in the first place, someone has to be infected. It's not common, it's not one that people just happen to carry...ETA- Obviously I'm speaking of the strains that cause gastro/intestinal infections, not the common ones that ARE part of the normal gut flora.

You certainly can eat those chips if you wish. I don't care to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter