Was I Being a Germaphobe?

BadgerGirl84

I used to have a tag...
My daughter had a Little League event today that included a free lunch afterwards of subs, chips and water. When we got to the food line I saw that the chips were being served as opened bags (like large Costco or Family style size) laid horizontally on the table. No tongs. There were like 4-5 choices and each person though the line reached in and grabbed their chips to put on their plate.

The event was for children ages 4-6 and their families following playing a game. No bathrooms that I saw or hand sanitizer stations if you are wondering about that. I’d estimate a crowd of 200 people.

I promised my kids there would be chips so I bought them 2 individual snack sized bags from a small concession stand that had a few items for sale.

I just couldn’t bring myself to grab the chips being served after seeing all the kids jamming their hands into these big bags. But apparently I was the only one concerned because everyone had piles of chips on their plates.

WWYD?

Last edited:

I would have never eaten or touched those chips on my life. Then again: I have immune system issues, and allergies to many things, so it's kind of not a new thing for me to react that way.

Haha. I get it. We brought a Costco size bag of trail mix to my daughter’s volleyball tournament. I also brought a measuring cup to use as a scooper but the girls were reaching in and grabbing handfuls. We tossed the bag after the tournament even though it was half full.

My daughter had a Little League event today that included a free lunch afterwards of subs, chips and water. When we got to the food line I saw that the chips were being served as opened bags (like large Costco or Family style size) laid horizontally on the table. No tongs. There were like 4-5 choices and each person though the line reached in and grabbed their chips to put on their plate.

The event was for children ages 4-6 and their families following playing a game. No bathrooms that I saw or hand sanitizer stations if you are wondering about that. I’d estimate a crowd of 200 people.

I promised my kids there would be chips so I bought them 2 individual snack sized bags from a small concession stand that had a few items for sale.

I just couldn’t bring myself to grab the chips being served after seeing all the kids jamming their hands into these big bags. But apparently I was the only one concerned because everyone had piles of chips on their plates.

WWYD?
:confused3 What concerned you wouldn't even have occurred to me. Not saying your feelings on it weren't legit, but my kid and I would have been eating the chips without giving it a thought. I might think about it the next time I'm in a similar situation though, thanks to this thread.

Interestingly, my DS who is now 21, somehow managed to develop some major aversions to "community food". For sure he'd be passing on those chips now. He won't even share popcorn with a date at the movies and he'd rather die of thirst than share a beverage out of a single bottle or straw. If somebody grabs a fry off his plate (just as an example), he's done.

Last edited:
Never would have hit my radar to think that everyone is reaching in there and there’s no hand sanitizer in there.

I’m 56. I rode a bike without a helmet. Rode in a car without a seat belt. Ate all kinds of things out of a “community bag”. By today’s standards, I should be dead. :)

200 people at a Little League event and the thing you are worried abt is large community bags of chips for otherwise healthy children?

Nope. Not a worry. Germs are everywhere.

Age 4 - 6 is prime age for kindergarten. My kid's public k-6 school had 900 students. I'm sure they came into contact with lots of germs.

We 'need' to come in contact with germs to build a healthy immune system.

There are studies abt the dangers of hand sanitizers.

The bag thing would have instantly made me think, where are the bowls? Just cause I like to see what I’m pulling out. Lol.

I probably wouldn’t have stuck my hand in the bag, but my kids would have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!