Warning for those on Merrytime Cruises

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
We had a magnificent time on the Fantasy this past week, but there was one major concern. We took our kids to Storytime With Mrs Claus, which they enjoyed. We also sat front row for Believe, which they also enjoyed. The issue is that the Fairy Godmother looked a LOT like Mrs Claus. Same voice, hair, face, etc, if you catch my drift. Sadly, I could tell by my son’s face that he connected the dots and I think he has now figured out a certain secret.

I did speak to the cruise director, who said it was an oversight on their part and hadn’t occurred to them. I hope they will fix the situation soon, but wanted to give a heads up to parents of believers! I would skip Mrs Claus if you are planning to sit anywhere close (she also goes in the right aisle) for Believe.

Other than that issues we were blown away by the cruise! Just wanted to give a heads up so no one else has a surprise like we did!

My DD fully believes in Santa but understands that the ones in the mall and stuff aren't the real one, they're his helpers because the big guy is busy at the North Pole. You can explain that the real Mrs. Clause needs to be helping Santa and making cookies for the elves to keep their stamina up while they're working.

My DD fully believes in Santa but understands that the ones in the mall and stuff aren't the real one, they're his helpers because the big guy is busy at the North Pole. You can explain that the real Mrs. Clause needs to be helping Santa and making cookies for the elves to keep their stamina up while they're working.

This! I have no idea how you've made it this far without having to come up with an explanation about the real Santa and Mrs. Clause being at the North Pole but sending their helpers to meet with kids and tell Santa what they want for Christmas. I mean, you just have to turn on the TV during Christmas season to see a bunch of different "Santas" in movies, local news, etc.

Most of the actors in Believe play multiple characters (Pocahontas and Jasmine were the same, for example), and there are other parts of the show that my young kids saw though right away ("peter pan's not really flying, there's a rope holding him up"). We explained to our kids about the fact that actors are playing the characters for the stage show because the the real princesses are at Disney World.

I do want to hear how you explain mall Santas and the like!

No biggie, it’s possible OP’s child has never questioned about mall Santas. My DD never did; I have no idea what she thought about them, other than she wasn’t real interested in meeting any up close anyway.

As to Mrs. Claus and the Fairy Godmother similarities - they must be sisters, maybe twins! (DD has twin cousins and twin friends so that would be a totally plausible explanation to her.)

Thanks for sharing your experience, OP, and i’m glad you otherwise had a great cruise!

We had a magnificent time on the Fantasy this past week, but there was one major concern. We took our kids to Storytime With Mrs Claus, which they enjoyed. We also sat front row for Believe, which they also enjoyed. The issue is that the Fairy Godmother looked a LOT like Mrs Claus. Same voice, hair, face, etc, if you catch my drift. Sadly, I could tell by my son’s face that he connected the dots and I think he has now figured out a certain secret.

I did speak to the cruise director, who said it was an oversight on their part and hadn’t occurred to them. I hope they will fix the situation soon, but wanted to give a heads up to parents of believers! I would skip Mrs Claus if you are planning to sit anywhere close (she also goes in the right aisle) for Believe.

Other than that issues we were blown away by the cruise! Just wanted to give a heads up so no one else has a surprise like we did!

My nine year old daughter just figured out there is no Santa. Last year she came close and kept asking question but you could tell she still wanted to believe. So she did. I don’t think seeing two different characters will be the reason he doesn’t believe anymore. You didn’t mention his age, but I was relieved when she figured it out. It meant no more sneaking around. And we could move on to other fun things like being a part of the magic for other children who still believe.

Fairy Godmother looked a LOT like Mrs Claus.

Same in the parks.

Once a kid starts to notice, let them. I doubt you were planning on keeping the myth going forever, were you?

(I was raised without the myth and raised my son without it, and we’re both totally fine. And I’ll tell ya, Xmas is a lot less exhausting when you’re not lying to your kid.)

This thread is making me realize that I've never believed in Santa. I've always noticed it was fake beards and/or recognized people behind the costumes, no matter how much my parents tried to make me believe in it. :confused3

Sometimes, kids play along because they are scared their parents will be disappointed to learn that Santa doesn't exist. Which is quite adorable. :lovestruc

I learned how things were going to go with our son when he was three. He was obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine (he's 20 now, so this was a while ago). He loved watching the shows on TV, we had tons of videos, he had the trains at home - you get the picture. We were living in Nashville at the time and the Thomas and Friends tour came to town. I bought tickets and we were so excited. I remember walking up to "Thomas" and our three year old looking at it and saying, "that's not Thomas, that's a train with a wooden Thomas face attached". I was crushed. But you know what? We had a great day. He loved the entire event and continued to adore Thomas for years to come.

As for Santa, our son definitely believed in Santa, but he never once thought the mall Santas, etc. were real. I remember trying to tell him they were Santa's "helpers" and he would roll his eyes at me. He also never thought the characters at WDW were real, and had zero interest in being photographed with them. He never understood why we wanted a picture of him with a person in a costume (his words, not mine). Saved us tons of time in character lines over the years!

OP - I think your son will be fine. Kids figure this stuff out in their own way. It's usually harder on the parents than the kids, to be honest.

You didnt say age of kid but kids find out very early on what is fantasy and real.

Some do. Some don't. When our kids reached "that age," we had decided ahead of time that if they asked us flat out, we would give them a straight answer.

So when the day came, and they asked, we answered. Tears. Disbelief. Etc. As expected. Then came something we didn't expect. They declared that we were wrong. That perhaps we had interceded, but the we hadn't needed to. Polar Express effect, perhaps?

But I will say that to this day, my now teenage sons can envision possibilities and solutions that many of us adults would say are fairy tales. Renewable algae bio-fuel? Fantasy delusion? Nope: their science fair projects for the past three years and perhaps a career for one of them.

Make believe gets a bad rap sometimes, but dreams and fantasies are where innovation and new realities come from. Now I'm not trying to take any credit for any of it. It is just who they are. But I'm glad we nurtured that sense of Wonder and possibility in them.

To the OP, thanks for the heads up, for those of us who would prefer to let these things proceed at their own pace, and not unfold to quickly.

But I will say that to this day, my now teenage sons can envision possibilities and solutions that many of us adults would say are fairy tales. Renewable algae bio-fuel? Fantasy delusion? Nope: their science fair projects for the past three years and perhaps a career for one of them.

Make believe gets a bad rap sometimes, but dreams and fantasies are where innovation and new realities come from. ....
Remember the first cool cell phones - the flip kind, NOT the original "brick phones" nor our android / iThingies. I mean the "only" reason those flip phones were created was because of the Original Star Trek series. Same with the tablets ... Star Trek influence again. From Fantasy to reality!!

And we already have "self driving cars" ... who would have thunk it.

And the Disney company was built on Fantasy ... and Walt and his Imagineers overcame many technological (impossible .... rainbow caverns) hurdles in building and expanding upon Disneyland.

Our dreams and fantasies are important to our well being ... and sometimes they lead to really cool technologies.

We actually make it a game with my son. We say the real Santa and Mrs. Claus has a certain twinkle in their eye. We talk about whether that is the real one or just a helper. I’m It’s saved us many a time. But he’s also autistic so I know he’ll figure it out sooner than later. He questions everything and doesn’t believe in Magic. The only reason why we get by with Santa is that he can “see” him.

I’ll just enjoy the magic while it lasts. He is six so who knows how long. I didn’t really know until I was 11/12, but I trusted my parents with all my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter