Wanna buy a Fastpass? It will cost ya $50

Your post got me thinking... with my husband being an economist and me an MBA/MSF, we talk a lot about “marginal cost” when we talk about our WDW vacation spending...

So we’re already spending $X — what’s an additional 0.02 times $X... that sort of thing. I think CL guests and once-in-a-lifetime trippers are GREAT targets for this type of offer.

And if I had to bet, there’s a market beyond that group for the same “marginal cost” reason. Not everyone, but a profitable fraction.

That's why I think Disney is so smart in everything they do and decide to charge: Think about it nighttime shows with fireworks in the park included with your admission yet they have a desert party with special viewing and from my knowledge extremely profitable with that....

Rides included with your admission yet they have these early morning and late night magic (for a cost) for extra rides, shorter waits, etc which again I believe is highly profitable and people book

hotels with bus transportation included with your stay and Disney has added the Minnie vans, which to be fair, are new but to my understanding doing quite well

and now this option which will be rolled out to introduce extra fast passes

Disney understands that there is a good amount of people that may want more, book more, splurge more when planning a vacation and will always cater to that want/need (which in turn is highly profitable for them)

A good question is however, for those who haven't been offered and wouldn't buy it if they were (probably a large percentage of those who haven't been offered) will it affect the amount of their going to the parks ? If there's a noticeable drop in attendance due to this (or eventually, if it gets more widespread), would Disney care? I think it would have to depend on if they're making up the money or not.

Park tickets are expensive enough without having to do add-ons to the ticket. However, with the sample testing, those who will be able to buy won't care about paying more.

As others have said, this is different from other extras because it has the potential and power to diminish the experience for the average park-goer.

I do miss the old FP, it was a lot more fair. Pre-Iger (or even earlier on in Iger's tenure) Disney was a lot more fair, and more in line with what Walt wanted.
I don’t think old FP was more “fair”. It depends on the commodity you have & or willing to trade. In this case FP+ extras cost more $ but old fp cost more time.

I'm a family of 5 and have stayed CL and no way can I afford $1500 a night. Last CL stay for us was 7 nights at BC and with base tickets it cost my family of 5 less than $4500. Granted that was a few years ago so I'm sure its a bit more now. We would have definitely noticed an extra $250 a night.

Don't forget that it includes Alcove and smaller suites at the Swan and Dolphin. I am staying there in February for free so I may consider this for my Animal Kingdom day.

This favors people with deep pockets, over the rest of us, and will reduce availability. I don't see why more of you are not upset by this. Let me spell it out: this is BAD for anyone who can't afford to shell out for the extra FPs!
It’s not just for ppl with “deep pockets”. Let’s take another example. My fiends have a family of 5 so they stay moderate. I have a family of 3 & always stay deluxe. They actually spend more $ on trips than I do. But, b/c of my family dynamics, I can afford the higher level accommodations. Doesn’t mean I have deeper pockets than them. This example can be applied to this system.

Don't forget that it includes Alcove and smaller suites at the Swan and Dolphin. I am staying there in February for free so I may consider this for my Animal Kingdom day.

I think were Disney is trying to offset this initial test is by not allowing that one day purchase if they do in fact force a 3 day minimum. I'm sure they understand that if it was as needed almost everyone right now would be purchasing one day just for Animal Kingdom for the new rides.... by only allowing this purchase for a three day minimum you have to really believe and want this option for the amount you will be paying. For a family of four like my self $600 is a lot more to consider then just $200 for one day

It’s not just for ppl with “deep pockets”. Let’s take another example. My fiends have a family of 5 so they stay moderate. I have a family of 3 & always stay deluxe. They actually spend more $ on trips than I do. But, b/c of my family dynamics, I can afford the higher level accommodations. Doesn’t mean I have deeper pockets than them. This example can be applied to this system.

Agree, it depends on the family and not just if you are incredibly wealthy. For example, I'm paying $79/person to get Happily Ever After dessert tickets so my elderly parents ( and my wife after recent knee surgery) can have a seat. They could care less about desserts so this new service may be an option, although I doubt the preferred viewing includes seating.

At the moment we have chosen to switch to Disney Cruise Line which although a premium product is a more relaxing style of vacation for us, which we prefer. Apart from state room category everyone is treated the same. We have also switched to the California Parks, which although has now also instigated a form of pay to reserve FP's system these are available day of and not tiered to hotel level and you don't have to plan weeks in advance.

!

This is simply not true. Concierge guests on DCL get far, far more privileges than regular stateroom guests. Early access to all dining, spa and excursion reservations including cabanas which, because of privileges, are virtually impossible to get unless you are concierge or platinum CC members. Private dining tables, easy access to concierge staff to make dining reservations and other adjustments to itineraries. Easy access to meet and greet tickets and character dining. In-room amenities, free wi-fi packages, special receptions with character meets, alcohol and specialty coffees free in the CL lounge. When we sailed DCL concierge in Europe, they also took care of passport control for us in Iceland and Scotland (didn't have to wait in the lines in the theater). Easy boarding and disembarkation, priority tendering, etc. etc. etc. If you think, as a regular stateroom guest, you are being treated the same as a concierge guest, you are quite mistaken. In fact, concierge guests on DCL get far more privileges than CL guests at WDW. The new FP+ offering for WDW CL guests is very much aligned with how DCL treats their concierge guests, but it still doesn't go as far as DCL.

For the way my family vacations, this really works for us. On our past trip, we spent so much on dessert parties and MVMCP just to get shorter ride times and better fireworks viewing. All in all, we spent at least $600 on these extras. For our family of 3, that's equals 4 park days of this new offering. We will get more of what we want (rides and nighttime show viewing) and less of what we don't want (desserts). We are a family of 3, so can stay in any CL room so I will shop around for the best deal (including the rooms included at Swan/Dolphin) and give it a try if it's still available in December. I'm not really sure what the big deal is on this. Without staying CL, there are already work-arounds to get extra rides (EMM, DAH tours, hard-ticket events, etc.). Yes, they all cost money, but can be added to any level of accommodation (value, mod, deluxe, even off-site).

Well I'm at Platinum level and yes admittedly I get first boarding and an advance booking window for excursions.

So you are the second highest tier for booking (concierge is highest)! That makes a huge difference and is based on how much $$$ you have spent with DCL. Imagine if WDW instituted a policy where those who have the most visits get the best FPs... there would be a riot. DCL is an extreme example of $$$ getting you privilege.

However, maybe I've just been lucky because prior to being Platinum I always got the excursions that I wanted and always first boarding, and got a cabana when I wanted it, so being Platinum does not feel as if I've gained too much over non Platinum guests.

Next time you sail, look to see what is available at 75 days (when the lowest tier gets to pick their excursions). We had friends go that couldn't get ANY tickets to see the princesses or anna/elsa! And they had to settle for their 3rd choice excursion in Nassau (of all ports!).

Concierge I've never sailed and of course there are many additional perks for this level, but I suppose I feel that the number of concierge staterooms is small compared to the overall number of staterooms as a whole, so I've never felt the effect of that either,

There are something like 700 club level rooms and 30,500 non-CL rooms on WDW property. Unless this expands outside of club level, no one will ever notice the difference from this either.

IF this ends up going property wide, I just don't see it really having much of an affect on FP+ availabilities. I have seen where it says a minimum of 3 days, but I haven't seen where it says you can pick and choose which days you use it on, meaning it's probably going to be an all or nothing type thing, like the DDP. So a family of 4, staying a week is going to cost an extra $1,400 plus tax, on top of resort, park tickets, food and souvenirs to be able to use this service. Pricing is high as it is for those things that make up the core of a WDW trip. You read it all the time, people who have a hard time justifying the cost between offsite->value, value->moderate, moderate->deluxe, deluxe->CL or that complain that the food prices are ridiculous. Are people really going to spend just as much on extra FPs as they do on their room? Are people going to stay at lower level resorts than they normally would so they could pay for this?

I don't know. It may have some success with the CL guests (we have stayed CL, but we wouldn't have any interest in this ourselves) but I don't think it would find the same success property wide.

I saw this and thought there is no way I am paying for this. We are rope drop people and generally get through all the bigger attractions in the morning before the crowds build up. We are also okay standing in line for 30 - 40 minutes as that is part of the deal of being at a theme park. We have also been many times, take afternoon breaks, and are okay not seeing and doing it all. However, I can see the value with this for some people. As pp mentioned, time is money to some people and to have the ability to book multiple FPs in different parks, they may see value in spending the money.

Do I think it is a little high? Yes, but it is Disney after all and they may alter the price after the trial period. But again value is different for each person. My DH and I spent $400 dollars to have a private car tour of Paris at night this past summer. It was a 3 hour tour, we drove around in a 2CV with the top down and loved it. For some, that would be outrageous to pay to just drive around and look at Paris. For us, it was our favorite splurge of the trip. But we save all year for vacation so we can do the extras so I can see why people would pay to stay CL and would pay for this.

For the way my family vacations, this really works for us. On our past trip, we spent so much on dessert parties and MVMCP just to get shorter ride times and better fireworks viewing. All in all, we spent at least $600 on these extras. For our family of 3, that's equals 4 park days of this new offering. We will get more of what we want (rides and nighttime show viewing) and less of what we don't want (desserts). We are a family of 3, so can stay in any CL room so I will shop around for the best deal (including the rooms included at Swan/Dolphin) and give it a try if it's still available in December. I'm not really sure what the big deal is on this. Without staying CL, there are already work-arounds to get extra rides (EMM, DAH tours, hard-ticket events, etc.). Yes, they all cost money, but can be added to any level of accommodation (value, mod, deluxe, even off-site).

I agree with everything you said. I'm still waiting to hear the details, but I almost guarantee my family will do this. The biggest question I have is whether the 6 daily FPs can overlap in time (that will be a key point for us). We always stay CL and we have done a couple VIP tours, but they don't mesh that well with our touring style -- we prefer 4 hours in the parks each morning and then back in the evening. This is also way cheaper than a VIP tour and more importantly it won't force us to spend 7 continuous hours in the parks.

And you mentioned dessert parties... as you implied, most people who do those do it for the viewing location alone. At least we do. The desserts are pretty terrible most of the time (especially the HEA one). For my family of 4, this new CL offering gives us a lot more of what we want for the same or less price than a dessert party.

All in all, I think this is great that these kinds of offerings are being made available.

Last edited:
IF this ends up going property wide, I just don't see it really having much of an affect on FP+ availabilities. I have seen where it says a minimum of 3 days, but I haven't seen where it says you can pick and choose which days you use it on, meaning it's probably going to be an all or nothing type thing, like the DDP. So a family of 4, staying a week is going to cost an extra $1,400 plus tax, on top of resort, park tickets, food and souvenirs to be able to use this service. Pricing is high as it is for those things that make up the core of a WDW trip. You read it all the time, people who have a hard time justifying the cost between offsite->value, value->moderate, moderate->deluxe, deluxe->CL or that complain that the food prices are ridiculous. Are people really going to spend just as much on extra FPs as they do on their room? Are people going to stay at lower level resorts than they normally would so they could pay for this?

I don't know. It may have some success with the CL guests (we have stayed CL, but we wouldn't have any interest in this ourselves) but I don't think it would find the same success property wide.

I agree if they do it that way then this probably wont succeed or make any type of impact. While nothing has been announced I would be surprised if they sold this as an all or nothing package. I guess it could be that way but I think that will take away from potential customers that are willing to pay for the 3 day minimum.

I'm actually anxiously waiting for tomorrow morning when I can call and find out more about this package!! so many unknowns at this point it will be great to get some definite information

We've developed a fairly efficient system for tackling the parks every Christmas 12/24-1/1 (the most crowded time of the year)

Magic Kingdom:
- Head to Space Mountain then Buzz at RD, while everyone runs to Fantasyland
- FP+'s for 7DMT, Thunder Mountain and Jungle Cruise
- See the Muppets show and 3pm parade
- We save the kiddie and family rides like Pooh and Peter Pan for late-night EMHs, like December 30th.

DHS:
- We split this into two days:
- On one day we do DHS FP+s (RnR, ToT, Frozen Musical) in the daytime, then Epcot at night for Illuminations.
- Another day we'll do Epcot in the daytime, and DHS FP+'s at night (TSMM, Star Tours and ToT)

EPCOT:
- Staying at BC, we'll do EPCOT on our arrival day and last day. Arrival day: FP+'s include TestTrack, character meet and spaceship earth
- On our departure day, we'll do Frozen, etc.

Why the example? Because it's proof that you don't need to pay for FP+'s. Even on shorter trips we've gotten everything done. We'll do one day at DHS and arrive at RD for ToT, and a FP+ for TSMM.

Now, to play devil's advocate: if this is your first ever trip to Disney and possibly ONLY trip to Disney, well then, it may be worth it.

Look, I'm a big proponent of spending your money however you seem fit. Could my family get by with staying at a Moderate every Christmas? Heck yeah. We've done it in the past. Only recently did we start springing for Deluxe Resorts because we love the proximity to the parks and it makes our trip easier.

I somewhat understand why they have chosen to use the Club Level guests as the "test" case and yet I think this is the part that bothers me the most. We are traveling as 2 adults, 2 kids and a toddler. We initially considered booking a Club Level room at Contemporary. However, we have chosen to pay cash for a 2 bedroom villa at BLT (the laundry and the ability to warm bottles will make life much easier over a week with a messy toddler!). We are spending nearly double what we would have spent by staying club level and yet are not deemed "worthy" of this additional perk (which we likely would have considered). It just seems odd to me to alienate those spending significant money to stay in the villas (especially those paying cash).
I hear ya'. We're BLT and SSR owners, and shelled out a pretty penny for enough points to do an annual 10-day trip in a 2BR at BLT, then we use our SSR points for running trips. It is only because for the latter we've done the Poly Bungalows a couple of times that we might even be able to do this -- assuming they allow us the privilege of buying FPs for a DVC vs. cash reservation at Poly Bungalows. ;) I'd bet they widen it -- we'll certainly see. As an aside, you'll LOVE the BLT 2BR -- worth it for our family for sure. :)

That's why I think Disney is so smart in everything they do and decide to charge: Think about it nighttime shows with fireworks in the park included with your admission yet they have a desert party with special viewing and from my knowledge extremely profitable with that....

Rides included with your admission yet they have these early morning and late night magic (for a cost) for extra rides, shorter waits, etc which again I believe is highly profitable and people book

hotels with bus transportation included with your stay and Disney has added the Minnie vans, which to be fair, are new but to my understanding doing quite well

and now this option which will be rolled out to introduce extra fast passes

Disney understands that there is a good amount of people that may want more, book more, splurge more when planning a vacation and will always cater to that want/need (which in turn is highly profitable for them)
Agree 100% :thumbsup2

Look, I'm a big proponent of spending your money however you seem fit. Could my family get by with staying at a Moderate every Christmas? Heck yeah. We've done it in the past. Only recently did we start springing for Deluxe Resorts because we love the proximity to the parks and it makes our trip easier.
Point well taken! The deluxe makes your trip easier. Paying for these FPs may make someone else's trip easier in a way they're willing to pay for. Maybe they don't want to RD like you (and I!) do. Maybe they don't want to have to plan so carefully to get done what they want to during the busiest time of year. This would make that easier -- for them. It's all subjective.

We've developed a fairly efficient system for tackling the parks every Christmas 12/24-1/1 (the most crowded time of the year)

Magic Kingdom:
- Head to Space Mountain then Buzz at RD, while everyone runs to Fantasyland
- FP+'s for 7DMT, Thunder Mountain and Jungle Cruise
- See the Muppets show and 3pm parade
- We save the kiddie and family rides like Pooh and Peter Pan for late-night EMHs, like December 30th.

DHS:
- We split this into two days:
- On one day we do DHS FP+s (RnR, ToT, Frozen Musical) in the daytime, then Epcot at night for Illuminations.
- Another day we'll do Epcot in the daytime, and DHS FP+'s at night (TSMM, Star Tours and ToT)

EPCOT:
- Staying at BC, we'll do EPCOT on our arrival day and last day. Arrival day: FP+'s include TestTrack, character meet and spaceship earth
- On our departure day, we'll do Frozen, etc.

Why the example? Because it's proof that you don't need to pay for FP+'s. Even on shorter trips we've gotten everything done. We'll do one day at DHS and arrive at RD for ToT, and a FP+ for TSMM.

Now, to play devil's advocate: if this is your first ever trip to Disney and possibly ONLY trip to Disney, well then, it may be worth it.

I like the plan!! This definitely sounds like it works for you but in my case with three younger kids is a lot of running around. It appears you also spent the extra money on a park hopper ( I believe for my family it would be an extra $300) which again works for you but I don't see the benefit in that with my family and our situation.... and in previous posts I have noted how I was booking desert parties for our upcoming trip which would cost me extra (or just as much as this new offer possibly!!) Obviously it all comes down to staying club level which I was lucky enough to get a discount for our upcoming trip which is why I'm even considering this offer

Again that's what I love about Disney I really do believe they cater to everyone and every type of family and what works for one family may not work for or may not be another families desire

P.S. I may steal your magic kingdom plans though :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter