Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I've stayed BC DVC villas and Dolphin.... they are pretty close for waling,etc. If the BC is cheaper, then do that!!!:cool1: I love them both, and I choose Dolphin for the savings..... For all the reasons you listed, I'd say free parking is tops, they're both beautiful,in a great location, but I can't afford BC. So I stay Dolphin or Swan. BC is also closer to Epcot for walking over. Pick based on cost for you- either one is fantastic. I found no difference in convenience for buses, etc. We walked to HS and Epcot from both places.

I stayed BC over Easter and last week we were at the Dolphin. So I will also say pick Price as the deciding factor.

I will disagree about the buses however. Dolphin, Swan and BW share a bus and the Dolphin is the last stop. More than one bus pulled up almost full so not everyone got on and then being the last stop late at night made the ride that much longer. YC/BC has a dedicated bus and two close stops.

Also, the walk seems 100 times longer in 95 degrees and Sun to the Dolphin.

If your staying at the Villa's it is a long walk back through the hotel just like if your staying at a room towards the Lake at the Dolphin. Long walk through the hotel and down hallways.

Recently returned from a split stay and posted my thoughts here

My experience with bus transportation to the MK was unexpectedly awesome, but perhaps I was just lucky. Bus to DTD was not very good, didn't wait long but too many stops.

Has anyone stayed at both the Swan/Dolphin AND the Beach/Yacht Club? We have the choice between the two when we travel with my husband for a work convention of his and I'm trying to decide.

Pros of BC/YC over S/D:
- Magical Express to/from airport
- Not the site of his convention (S/D is) so less busy at hotel?
- Could do Disney dining plan
- Get dining reservations a bit earlier
- Free wristbands?
- Cheaper, at least with our convention room rates
- If we rent a car, parking is free (not so at S/D)
- Food seems more allergy friendly (my son has a dairy allergy)
- Can get Garden Grocer delivery (no deliveries allowed at S/D)
- Day bed vs. a cot for our 5th room guest

Cons:
- Husband may have to walk further to get to convention activities at S/D

Questions:
- Any difference in buses/getting to and from parks between the two (assuming we don't rent a car)?
- Any other thoughts on the differences / convenience?

I would go with what is cheaper, but that is always my priority (that is why we always stay on points). However, I think your 5th person would be more comfortable on a SD rollaway bed. It is the same heavenly bed as the other beds. It is so comfortable.

I don't think there is any difference on reserving your ADRs. You still get 180+10.

There is a car rental company at the Dolphin. We've rented just for the day.

Sounds like you have a great choice to make!

Has anyone stayed at both the Swan/Dolphin AND the Beach/Yacht Club? We have the choice between the two when we travel with my husband for a work convention of his and I'm trying to decide.

Pros of BC/YC over S/D:
- Magical Express to/from airport
- Not the site of his convention (S/D is) so less busy at hotel?
- Could do Disney dining plan
- Get dining reservations a bit earlier
- Free wristbands?
- Cheaper, at least with our convention room rates
- If we rent a car, parking is free (not so at S/D)
- Food seems more allergy friendly (my son has a dairy allergy)
- Can get Garden Grocer delivery (no deliveries allowed at S/D)
- Day bed vs. a cot for our 5th room guest

Cons:
- Husband may have to walk further to get to convention activities at S/D

Questions:
- Any difference in buses/getting to and from parks between the two (assuming we don't rent a car)?
- Any other thoughts on the differences / convenience?

You seem to have done your homework and factored in different pricing and such. I have a similar situation where I'm currently booked in both the Dolphin and Yacht club for a stay in Sept, I haven't decided which one to cancel yet. Both are great resorts, can't really go wrong with either.

I would definitely add up everything and see what the total cost will be for each. Room rate, resort fee, transportation/parking fees for the Dolphin, what you think you could save doing DDP, etc. Try to come up with actual cost numbers for each to make an apples-apples comparison. In our case, the prices are almost identical when we factor everything in, but I'm using a cash+points rate at the Dolphin and valuing my points at $.03 each. If we were doing the cash rate at the Dolphin it would actually be more expensive.

For location I'd give BC a very slight edge, it'll save you 10 minutes walking to EPCOT, and won't add much time walking to HS.

For pools BC gets the win, though Swan/Dolphin really do have a great pool as well, better even than most Disney Deluxe resorts IMO. But BC is the 800 lb gorilla when it comes to resort pools at Disney (or anywhere I've ever been for that matter).

You'll hear a number of conflicting reports on the bus service, I know I did. We were at the Swan two weeks ago and were generally very happy with the transportation. But we definitely had some buses that picked us up at the Swan and then went Dolphin -> YC -> BC, so at least some routes certainly do include all those stops. We also had some, like Magic Kingdom, where we got on at the Swan and only stopped at the Dolphin afterwards. If you stay at the Dolphin, it might be worth walking over to the Swan to catch the bus if you're going early in the morning so you're assured of getting on. We also walked to BC a few times to eat breakfast and caught the bus from BC to the parks. This was generally efficient.

Dolphin has more restaurants on property, but that wasn't really a factor for us because you're within walking distance of Swan, Dolphin, YC, BS, Boardwalk, and even EPCOT World Showcase no matter which one of these you stay at.

One last thing you *might* consider, since this is a conference for your husband. If the hotel is paid for by his company there is earning potential for SPG points, especially if you have the co-branded SPG american express. If it's an expensive cash fare that the company pays, you could rack up a number of SPG points from it.

Recently returned from a split stay and posted my thoughts.

My experience with bus transportation to the MK was unexpectedly awesome, but perhaps I was just lucky. Bus to DTD was not very good, didn't wait long but too many stops.

awesome. thank you!

Newbie here and need some Dolphin help. I have a chance to book the Dolphin for 8/5-8/13 for $1,595 that includes the taxes and resort fee for 8 nights getting 20% off through Booking.com. The room I can book for this price is called "Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds". My question is are these the same type of rooms as others just without the views and where would they be located in the building?

We are renting a car so we don't need Magical Express and know about the parking fee we will have to pay. We already have tix and made our FP+ reservations and we know that we will have to buy MB's. We also were not going to do the Dining Plan anyway and we know that we wouldn't be able to add it to a Dolphin ressie. Is there anything else we will need to know if we decided to stay here? Right now we are booked in a room only at POFQ for just $20 less than the Dolphin.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie here and need some Dolphin help. I have a chance to book the Dolphin for 8/5-8/13 for $1,595 that includes the taxes and resort fee for 8 nights getting 20% off through Booking.com. The room I can book for this price is called "Classic Double Room with Two Double Beds". My question is are these the same type of rooms as others just without the views and where would they be located in the building?

We are renting a car so we don't need Magical Express and know about the parking fee we will have to pay. We already have tix and made our FP+ reservations and we know that we will have to buy MB's. We also were not going to do the Dining Plan anyway and we know that we wouldn't be able to add it to a Dolphin ressie. Is there anything else we will need to know if we decided to stay here? Right now we are booked in a room only at POFQ for just $20 less than the Dolphin.

Ron:

I have never stayed at a moderate, but the convenience of walking to 2 resorts wins hands down for me. The Dolphin has all the amenities of a deluxe resort.

One thing I have definitely noticed is my cost of dining has risen drastically in the last few years. The Dolphin food options are not cheap. I spent $2300 on food for the week, and would have saved over $400 on the deluxe dining plan. This is mostly because my kids are at the point they like the finer things in dining but still qualify as kids on the dining plan. Something to consider when my son and daughter are splitting $86 surf and turf at Shula's!

When reading a different thread here on the Dis, somebody mentioned the Shula's Club. They mentioned that they send you an offer for a free entree during the month of your birthday. Well, it turns out that we will be traveling to WDW for Xmas and my birthday is in December. Our plans are to go the Shula's for Xmas Eve. Does anybody have more info on the Shula Club? Are the holidays blacked out for the birthday coupon?

And does Shula's have a regular menu on Xmas Eve?

Know that you do not HAVE to purchase magic bands, your plastic RFID tickets work fine also.

And regarding Shula's......

http://www.donshula.com/shulas-clubs/team-shula

Thanks Dan I worded that wrong. I know MB's don't come with a stay at the Dolphin, I meant to say my little one's want us all to have MB's so therefore I will have to buy them. Thanks for the help.
:thumbsup2

And welcome to the S/D thread, Ron.

You will love the Dolphin, or the Swan also. Great resorts!!!!

If you have AAA card, 20% discounts at the non-signature restaurants.

:thumbsup2

And welcome to the S/D thread, Ron.

You will love the Dolphin, or the Swan also. Great resorts!!!!

If you have AAA card, 20% discounts at the non-signature restaurants.

Thanks for the welcome Dan. While I have your ear I hope you won't mind giving me a couple of answers.

1) I'd be booking through http://www.booking.com that reservation should be able to be linked to MDE, correct?

2) There are a lot of reviews that say the Dolphin rooms are dirty and tired looking and other complaints. In your opinion are these bad reviews off base and more than likely we should enjoy our stay there?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the welcome Dan. While I have your ear I hope you won't mind giving me a couple of answers. 1) I'd be booking through http://www.booking.com that reservation should be able to be linked to MDE, correct? 2) There are a lot of reviews that say the Dolphin rooms are dirty and tired looking and other complaints. In your opinion are these bad reviews off base and more than likely we should enjoy our stay there? Thanks in advance.

Not Dan, :-), but have stayed at the Dolphin many times - latest being this past January, and I have a NEVER experienced a dirty room! I think many people don't spend the time to review a great stay, but more will take time to complain. We have always been VERY satisfied, and have our reservations already for next January! It is a beautiful resort.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Not Dan, :-), but have stayed at the Dolphin many times - latest being this past January, and I have a NEVER experienced a dirty room! I think many people don't spend the time to review a great stay, but more will take time to complain. We have always been VERY satisfied, and have our reservations already for next January! It is a beautiful resort.

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thank you Mom, we should have a decision today and we love the EPCOT/Boardwalk area.

Disney Ron, After years of BC & BW stays (Epcot resorts are my favorite location), I have become a Swan & Dolphin convert. They are beautiful resorts, great dining options, incredible pool and pool bar for the price of a moderate resort.

Edited to add I haven't had a dirty room. If the furnishings are tired (which I personally don't find), WDW resorts and villas can become tired looking right before a refurb. I hear the BCV villas are not good at this point.

I have also never seen a dirty room that the Dolphin. Tired looking? Perhaps. The furnishings are showing their wear, hence the upcoming remodel, butI think this is nit-picky. Overall the resort is beautiful. When I was down a few weeks ago it looked as if new carpet was just installed in the lobby and hallways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter