• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We a starting to plan out trip from December 29- 1-1
Going to use points for our stay
Is there a benefit for the Swan over the Dolphin?
There are 3 of us staying.

As maxiesmom said, the beds are smaller at the Dolphin. The Swan is a smaller resort. There are more restaurants at the Dolphin, including Picabu which is open 24 hours. The laundry is located at the Dolphin. The bus picks up at the Swan first. Each hotel has it's fans, so I might prefer the Swan, and the person next to me might prefer the Dolphin. I like them both enough so that I stay at whichever one costs less at the time. All things being equal...I prefer the smaller size of the Swan.

Hello everyone, first time poster. Staying at the Swan for the first time! I've been reading through everything, all the information is so helpful. Thanks to everyone who put all of it together. Any extra tips? We have a balcony room. Also, how do extra magic hours work when you stay here?

Haven't stayed in Swan since the Marriott take over. Any changes that we need to be aware of when staying here? Are they doing 'room checks'? declining housekeeping still gives a hotel credit? What about AAA discounts in restaurants? Still available?

Thank you!

Ultimately I ended up canceling the Swan for YC since the AP rate was shockingly better for our June trip.

About how long should it take the refundable deposit to post to my card? Today is Day 4 since cancellation. TIA!

As Patty said below, I prefer the Swan, for similar reasons. I've stayed at both, prefer the Swan. Dolphin is too big for my tastes. When staying there, I am probably in the Dolphin for one reason or another every day (mostly restaurants). It is only a 2 minute walk across the joining walkway.

As maxiesmom said, the beds are smaller at the Dolphin. The Swan is a smaller resort. There are more restaurants at the Dolphin, including Picabu which is open 24 hours. The laundry is located at the Dolphin. The bus picks up at the Swan first. Each hotel has it's fans, so I might prefer the Swan, and the person next to me might prefer the Dolphin. I like them both enough so that I stay at whichever one costs less at the time. All things being equal...I prefer the smaller size of the Swan.
Me too.

Hello everyone, first time poster. Staying at the Swan for the first time! I've been reading through everything, all the information is so helpful. Thanks to everyone who put all of it together. Any extra tips? We have a balcony room. Also, how do extra magic hours work when you stay here?
Welcome to the dis, Ariel, and this S/D thread.

Extra Magic Hours work the same as all the other Disney resorts. Just make sure to have your S/D room key as the room key is not on a Magic Band.

I stayed at the Dolphin in early February. No room checks at that time, and I used AAA for duscounted meals. Going again in a few weeks. I’ll report back about changes I note from my pre Marriott visits.

While technically the Dolphin is about 20 sq ft larger we like the layout of the Swan rooms, I do often read how some don't like the lack of bathroom privacy in the Dolphin - but depends on who's going. The 2 sinks in the Swan is a plus too. I think that at this time both S or D offer the Heavenly shower and beds, but the Queen at the Swan is a big plus IMHO. We last stayed at the Swan in January 2018, had a corner room (which was awesome) with a view of the backside of Boardwalk so it was nice and calm, but a nice view of the water.

D-DblGuestroom.gif
S-GuestroomsBW.gif

I stayed at the Dolphin in early February. No room checks at that time, and I used AAA for duscounted meals. Going again in a few weeks. I’ll report back about changes I note from my pre Marriott visits.
Thanks snappy! I'm curious to hear what you report back. I wonder if or when they clue in about the poor rate conversion for going "green". We didn't have room checks either, and so far I haven't heard of them doing them on any group.

As Patty said below, I prefer the Swan, for similar reasons. I've stayed at both, prefer the Swan. Dolphin is too big for my tastes. When staying there, I am probably in the Dolphin for one reason or another every day (mostly restaurants). It is only a 2 minute walk across the joining walkway.

Me too.

Welcome to the dis, Ariel, and this S/D thread.

Extra Magic Hours work the same as all the other Disney resorts. Just make sure to have your S/D room key as the room key is not on a Magic Band.
Thank you so much! Ok so for extra magic hours I just show my room key? Would it have our names printed on it? Reason Im asking is because my Aunt who is a Florida local might be joining us on a day that there are EMH. Would she be able to join us?

Thanks for the info with the differences between the S & D.

Hope to make the reservation the end of the week for December 29

Hello everyone, first time poster. Staying at the Swan for the first time!... Also, how do extra magic hours work when you stay here?

The Swan does not give free magic bands the way the Disney-owned hotels do, but if you are using a magic band (either purchased for this trip or reused from a previous trip), that should get you in for EMH. When we stayed at the Swan in November, we attended EMH and never showed our room keys.

We had magic bands from a stay at Pop Century, and in the My Disney Experience app those were linked to our tickets. I put in the confirmation number for the Swan reservation, so MDE "knew" we were staying at the Swan. Therefore, when we got to the park, that information was available to the CMs when they scanned our magic bands.

For morning EMH, our stay was verified when entering the park and not again. For evening EMH, our magic bands were scanned before getting on each ride. If not using magic bands, I suggest getting lanyards so you don't have to fish the room keys out of your bag at each ride during evening EMH.

The room keys from the Swan didn't have dates on them or anything, so I'm not sure how the CMs would know that a person with a room key is a current guest at the Swan. Maybe this is a loophole where someone who once stayed at the Swan/Dolphin could continue to get into EMH for months or possibly years later?

How does this work for kids, are they pretty strict about that, or will we be ok if my husband and I both have the key cards?

We have only ever had Swan or Dolphin keys that had the lead guest's name printed on them. At EMH, we showed one key and told them how many were in our party. We have never been questioned, but we also don't travel with a large group.

The room keys from the Swan didn't have dates on them or anything, so I'm not sure how the CMs would know that a person with a room key is a current guest at the Swan. Maybe this is a loophole where someone who once stayed at the Swan/Dolphin could continue to get into EMH for months or possibly years later?

My key from November definitely had dates printed on it, but I have never had a CM glance at it for more than just a second. I'm not saying it couldn't happen that they scrutinize it a bit more, but I also don't have the guts to try to bluff my way into EMH with an old key :laughing:

My key from November definitely had dates printed on it, but I have never had a CM glance at it for more than just a second. I'm not saying it couldn't happen that they scrutinize it a bit more, but I also don't have the guts to try to bluff my way into EMH with an old key :laughing:

That is so strange. We got three key cards for our bedroom and three key cards for the living room (surprise upgrade to a suite - go DH's status!), and none have names or dates printed on them. They are all completely blank.

We were there Jersey Week, if that matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter